Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most overrated team this preseason

Started by darkhogfan, August 16, 2007, 01:05:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopHog

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 16, 2007, 02:43:32 pm
Quote from: HoopHog on August 16, 2007, 02:21:31 pm
Every team you guys mentioned will have better seasons than Arkansas.  What a bunch of pipe dreaming homers!

We have a QB that is doing squat in practice...and no proven backup.  Players are getting injured and others are doing worse...and you don't think "ARKANSAS" is the answer to this question?  Here is the skinny...even though our skilled position players are great they can't do it all.  Our scondary is going to be absolutely picked apart...and some of you know it, but won't admit it.  Our depth is more than questionnable.  We can still have a good season, but too many Hog fans are already booking their trips to Atlanta -- to pie in the sky right now.

How can we be overrated when half of the polls don't list us in their top 25 or have us between #'s 20-25?  If we were ranked in the top 10, I would understand saying that we are overrated coming into the year.  But, we're not in most polls I've seen.  There are a couple (Sports Illustrated comes to mind) that rank us in the top 15, but not many.

I'd say anywhere from 20-25 would be a pretty good preseason ranking for Arkansas.

Several polls have us rated in the preseason 15.  But it isn't just polls...it is the expectations of the fan base here that suggests the Hogs are over rated...because of the homegrown, pie in the sky hype.  They are 13 in the SI/CNN top 25 and 20th in the USA Today poll.  AP has not been released yet...not to many other polls even matter come BCS time.

Hogginitall

Quote from: HoopHog on August 16, 2007, 03:37:14 pm
Every team you guys mentioned will have better seasons than Arkansas.  What a bunch of pipe dreaming homers!

We have a QB that is doing squat in practice...and no proven backup.  Players are getting injured and others are doing worse...and you don't think "ARKANSAS" is the answer to this question?  Here is the skinny...even though our skilled position players are great they can't do it all.  Our scondary is going to be absolutely picked apart...and some of you know it, but won't admit it.  Our depth is more than questionnable.  We can still have a good season, but too many Hog fans are already booking their trips to Atlanta -- to pie in the sky right now.

How can we be overrated when half of the polls don't list us in their top 25 or have us between #'s 20-25?  If we were ranked in the top 10, I would understand saying that we are overrated coming into the year.  But, we're not in most polls I've seen.  There are a couple (Sports Illustrated comes to mind) that rank us in the top 15, but not many.

I'd say anywhere from 20-25 would be a pretty good preseason ranking for Arkansas.

Several polls have us rated in the preseason 15.  But it isn't just polls...it is the expectations of the fan base here that suggests the Hogs are over rated...because of the homegrown, pie in the sky hype.  They are 13 in the SI/CNN top 25 and 20th in the USA Today poll.  AP has not been released yet...not to many other polls even matter come BCS time.

Well, which is it?  Do fans need to expect more than "mediocrity" or do fans need to lower their expectations as long as Nutt is here?  We do have McFadden, Jones, Monk, Casey Dick, Peyton Hillis, Michael Smith.  We have talented replacements for the offensive linemen that left.  We always seem to pull together a defense under Herring.  Yeah, we lost a lot.  But we also have a lot coming back this year from a team that was pretty close to going to a BCS game or maybe even a NC game had we taken care of business against LSU and Florida.

Although I think it's too high, I don't think a #13 ranking is that CRAZY.  I mean these are preseason polls.  I definitely don't think #20 is too high.  I think that's about right.

I think fans should have high expectations after last year.  We were close, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.  Anything less than 9 wins would be considered a bad season, in my opinion.  If we go 9-3 in the regular season with a decent showing in a bowl, we might be ranked somewhere in the 20-25 range at the end of the season.

HeavyweightHog

Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
          ~Will Rogers

UhOhioHog

That School that Don Imus likes so much.

David Brent

Quote from: HoopHog on August 16, 2007, 03:37:14 pm

Aren't you one of the guys who think Razorback fans have historically had low expectations and therefore accept Nutt's mediocre record?  So now the fans need to wallow in pity and cry about having our heads handed to us every week before the season even starts?  Would that be more realistic for you, Hoop?

I may have read you wrong, but the chip on your shoulder for HDN seems to have now carried over to just about anyone who thinks we may have a good season.  Call it "pie in the sky" homerism if you want, but some of us do expect the Hogs to have a good year.  If you weren't so blinded by your hatred for HDN, you would see the raised expectations as something good for the program.

TheHogFan

Quote from: blue on August 16, 2007, 02:51:32 pm
Quote from: cmc3030 on August 16, 2007, 02:47:52 pm
ARKANSAS.
Agreed
ONly on here do you see fans say their own freaking team is overrated. Maybe it is true, but you don't see this very often.

kuhog

I think Nebraska is a legitimate top 25 team this year. So no, they are not overrated. However, Florida by seasons end will show their pre-season ranking was overrated.

monticello_hog

miss state will play lsu close and va tech will beat lsu

31to6

Quote from: VANVONDENBURGH on August 16, 2007, 01:06:25 pm
For some reason I don't think LSU is going to live up to the hype.
No way. LSU's defense is loaded. Their defense was crippling last year and most of those guys are back.

They might have some ?'s on offense which prevent them from challenging for the NC, but their defense will more than make up for it.

If their offense gels, they will be unstoppable. If it is merely mediocre they will still win 10 games.

67Hog

RZRBack_FAN

How about TN. They suck and for some reason stlll get a high ranking!!

darkhogfan

Quote from: RZRBack_FAN on August 16, 2007, 05:40:00 pm

I'd be careful saying teams suck, especially when Arkansas plays them this season.  If you think they are overrated fine, but don't say they suck...
"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

RZRBack_FAN

August 16, 2007, 05:47:01 pm #62 Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 05:49:47 pm by RZRBack_FAN
Pretty sure we beat the Hell out of TN last year without a Qb! Yeah Ainge was hurt big deal you guys could Have had Peyton come back last year and it wouldnt have mattered! The DEfense sucked We dont even have a Qb and still Did anything we wanted. Most overrated team without a ?   You had Meachum last year and we saw what he did to help you guys win! NOTHING!! Doesnt matter how many WR you have You better figure out a way to Play Defense and not give up so many yards and points to a team like us thats 1 dimensional! Dont know were you got the Best D in the Conf at either!!! From what i saw last year Id say Bottom half of the SEC. No way a few Freshmen or Jucos made that team that much better from last yr to this yr.

RZRBack_FAN

Quote from: superhogfan on August 16, 2007, 05:43:46 pm

I'd be careful saying teams suck, especially when Arkansas plays them this season.  If you think they are overrated fine, but don't say they suck...
I have my opinion and you have yours! Im a grown man and i will say what i want!

darkhogfan

Quote from: RZRBack_FAN on August 16, 2007, 05:51:03 pm
Quote from: superhogfan on August 16, 2007, 05:43:46 pm

I have my opinion and you have yours! Im a grown man and i will say what i want!

Hey no one said you can't have your opinion just a friendly word of advice. 
"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

RZRBack_FAN

Thats just how i feel about them! They are ranked 15th! Explain that to me!! They were pretty much a cupcake for us last year! yet they are ranked 5 spots ahead of us! How? Dmac is back Felix is back Hillis is back Monk will be Back we will have the same QB back! So What changed from the Ass kicking we gave them last year to this year! Ainge being Health is not a good Argument either Cause he first of all isnt as great as people think he is and second im pretty sure Dmac would lay him on his ass if he tried to play defense. What did they get this offseason that Warrants a 15 ranking that we didnt do!!

MDH

I'm picking 2: LSU and Florida.  2 and 3 by some polls? Come on people!   LSU-  Exodus of experienced talent to the NFL and more importantly to Florida State and I have little respect for Les Miles.  Florida-  lost a ton on defense and I don't think Tebow and the offense will quite be up to the task to put the number on the scoreboard that will beat a, say, healthy Tenn(which with Ainge injury is a definite possibility).
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

RZRBack_FAN

I agree Florida has some things to prove but Your Stretching it a little to say they may lose to TN!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 16, 2007, 02:37:41 pm
Quote from: davehog on August 16, 2007, 01:56:17 pm
Tennessee without a doubt...They have NO experience at WR, TB (with Coker being a smoker) is a weakness, and they only have a few starters returning on defense.  I can see a 6 win season for the Vols this year and A LOT of Vol fans calling for Fulmer's resignation.
Actually we may have one of the best D's in the Conf. Our starting RB will be back and we have more WR with talent sitting the bench than most schools have starting.

Has Fulmer "unsuspended" LaMarcus Coker?  I thought wide receiver was the question mark.  In any event, the defense, Eric Ainge and special teams make Tennessee my sleeper pick in the SEC.  You'll know more after Florida, though.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MDH

Quote from: RZRBack_FAN on August 16, 2007, 06:12:01 pm
I agree Florida has some things to prove but Your Stretching it a little to say they may lose to TN!!

I don't think I am.  Tenn, if they stay healthy in the key spots and that's a big if, will be better than many think IMHO.  Coker's "suspension" will end in the third quarter of the Cal game, when they are down by 3 ;)
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

LAHOGG

Every team in the Big East.  Although we may never know because the top teams in that conference refuse to play anybody good ever!

LAHOGG

Cresthog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2007, 01:10:51 pm
Florida is overrated the most to me.

Tebow isn't ready to live up to the hype just yet.

agree..until he can prove to me that he can read an SEC defense I'm not buying into the hype.  Throwing the ball and running a QB sneak are two totally different things.

MDH

Quote from: Cresthog on August 16, 2007, 06:40:38 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2007, 01:10:51 pm
Florida is overrated the most to me.

Tebow isn't ready to live up to the hype just yet.

agree..until he can prove to me that he can read an SEC defense I'm not buying into the hype.  Throwing the ball and running a QB sneak are two totally different things.

I'm not on the Tebow bandwagon, but he was 22 of 33 for something like 350 yards last season...

PigSooie92

Quote from: superhogfan on August 16, 2007, 01:05:24 pm
Who do you think is the most overrated team this preseason?  I think it actually might be Nebraska.  They are ranked in the top 25 in almost every poll but they haven't shown much of anything against quaily opponents as of late.
Nebraska has a quarterback who was great at Arizona State.
I'd say Ohio State.
I don't see them being top ten after losing Troy Smith, Antonio Pittman, Ted Ginn, and Anthony Gonzalez.

VandyHog

Notre Dame, as always, and Florida. Tebow will be a great one before he's finished, but he needs some full-game experience. He will be a great quarterback by the end of the season, but is going to throw some interceptions before he gets there.

On the flip side, I think Tennessee could turn out to be very good this year and Florida State will bounce back from last year's bumpy season.

humbucker311

Not sure what/if Bama are ranked, but I don't think they'll live up to the hype.  Not sure if this technically means they're 'overrated' but as soon as Saban was hired, the expectations shot through the roof.     

camden5r

Overrated
Auburn
Wisconsin
Notre Dame (Tough early schedule)

mike32

Quote from: MDH on August 16, 2007, 06:07:15 pm
I'm picking 2: LSU and Florida.  2 and 3 by some polls? Come on people!   LSU-  Exodus of experienced talent to the NFL and more importantly to Florida State and I have little respect for Les Miles.  Florida-  lost a ton on defense and I don't think Tebow and the offense will quite be up to the task to put the number on the scoreboard that will beat a, say, healthy Tenn(which with Ainge injury is a definite possibility).
Gary Crowton is twice the offensive mind as Jimbo "Mr. Conservative" Fisher.  There will be no drop at receiver or defense and Matt Flynn was very close to being the starter over J.R.  I think you will see this year how good Flynn is. 
I'm not certain we should be ranked as high as we are, but I look at other teams, and wonder who would you rank ahead of us besides USC

MDH

Quote from: mike32 on August 16, 2007, 10:00:45 pm
Gary Crowton is twice the offensive mind as Jimbo "Mr. Conservative" Fisher.  There will be no drop at receiver or defense and Matt Flynn was very close to being the starter over J.R.  I think you will see this year how good Flynn is. 
I'm not certain we should be ranked as high as we are, but I look at other teams, and wonder who would you rank ahead of us besides USC

I don't have you're confidence in Crowton.  I do find it funny that the Ducks lost to BYU last year... A bit of irony right there.

rayzorbacks

alabama...i kno they got saban and a good recruiting class already but i mean come on i wanna see some football played b4 i hear everone sayin alabama has a shot at BCS

neal64ss

mike32

Quote from: MDH on August 16, 2007, 10:54:30 pm
Quote from: mike32 on August 16, 2007, 10:00:45 pm

I don't have you're confidence in Crowton.  I do find it funny that the Ducks lost to BYU last year... A bit of irony right there.
Time will tell, I was at La. Tech when he was coaching and his offense was very good even against much better talent. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogomatic on August 16, 2007, 01:11:27 pm
same team as every year notre dame
How can they be over rated if they are not even in the top 25?  Mark May and monay other people think they will win 6 or 7 games at the most.  that's over rated? 

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Go Hogs! Go Rangers! Go Cowboys! Go Mavs! Go Stars!

DEVIL DOG HOG

Razorback Jedi

I totally agree with you.

Plus 1 if I could.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Dugann

Biggest joke to be ranked Rutgers...East coast BS

Overrated team

1. LSU
2. ND
3. hmmmm Ohio State after loosing so many yea that's the ticket.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

MDH

Quote from: Dugann on August 17, 2007, 07:16:17 am
Biggest joke to be ranked Rutgers...East coast BS.

Yep that seems to be based on one, albeit great if not soon to be legendary, game last year.  That Louisville game was great.