• 388,734 Topics
• 22,000 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 308 [309] 310 311 312 ... 369   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 735981 times)

LJHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Re: Making the trip to Knoxville -- Need some advice
« Reply #15400 on: October 02, 2015, 06:25:12 am »

take a lot of Rolaids

BPsTheMan

« Reply #15401 on: October 02, 2015, 07:38:28 am »

ricepig and GoHogs1091 arguing cole slaw - best thread ever

I agree GoHogs, cole slaw on BBQ is for stupid people.

ricepig??  :D

Jacks BBQ in Nashville is just fine - high vinegar content "Carolina style" is my favorite.

Knoxville - go get a meal at Litton's Market in Fountain City - it's one that Todd Blackledge featured on his travels

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BPsTheMan

« Reply #15402 on: October 02, 2015, 07:40:36 am »

If you want go ahead and continue to waste your money on Memphis BBQ, then go right ahead.

:D

BPsTheMan

« Reply #15403 on: October 02, 2015, 07:47:21 am »

Regionally, BBQ sauces are a very interesting aspect.  All of the BBQ sauces I have tried I had high expectations, and with some my expectations were not met, and then with some my expectations got met.

Here is the list of BBQ sauces I have eaten.  All of the following are Mild, no Hot Sauce.

Pink Flamingo    Fort Smith, Arkansas
Whole Hog Cafe    Fort Smith, Arkansas location
Jerry Neel's    Fort Smith, Arkansas
Penguin Ed's    Fayetteville, Arkansas
Rivertowne    Ozark, Arkansas
Back Door BBQ    Clarksville, Arkansas  (restaurant no longer in existence)
Hog Pen    Conway, Arkansas
Smitty's    Conway, Arkansas
McClard's    Hot Springs, Arkansas
Stubby's    Hot Springs, Arkansas
Uncle Joe's    Branson, Missouri  (restaurant no longer in existence as of several years ago, but sauce was still available up to around a year-and-half ago; I don't know since then)
Sadies    Branson, Missouri
Cowtown    Kansas City, Missouri
Fiorella's Jack Stack    Kansas City, Missouri
Gates and Sons    Kansas City, Missouri
Three Little Pigs Kansas City Competition Sauce    Kansas City, Missouri
Three Little Pigs Kansas City Sweet Sauce    Kansas City, Missouri
Three Brothers (Different Mothers)    Kansas City, Missouri
Wabash BBQ    Excelsior Springs, Missouri
Smokers Wild    Paola, Kansas
K&M    Spring Hill, Kansas
Curley's Hickory Barbeque Sauce    Hutchinson, Kansas
Elmer's    Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sa-Mokin Competition Recipe Barbeque Sauce    Tulsa, Oklahoma
Head Country    Ponca City, Oklahoma
Runt's    Muskogee, Oklahoma
My Place    Muskogee, Oklahoma
Fish's    Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Butcher BBQ    Chandler, Oklahoma
Van's Pig Stand    Shawnee, Oklahoma
John's BBQ    Okemah, Oklahoma
Horizon Original    Perry, Oklahoma   (Horizon also makes Smokers)
Lotta Bull BBQ    Marietta, Oklahoma
Sweet Spirit Foods    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Corky's    Memphis, Tennessee
Interstate BBQ    Memphis, Tennessee   (Jim Neely's place)
Rendezvous    Memphis, Tennessee
Neely's    Memphis, Tennessee   (Pat Neely's place)  used to also have a location in Nashville, Tennessee, but I don't know if it is still there
Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce    Decatur, Alabama
Jack's Bar-B-Que    Nashville, Tennessee   (on Broadway)
Sticky Fingers Memphis Original    Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina  (a Memphis style sauce)

To me, the best sauces out of that list (in specific order)

1a. Van's Pig Stand   Shawnee, Oklahoma
tie  1b. Curley's Hickory Barbeque Sauce   Hutchinson, Kansas

2.  Lotta Bull BBQ   Marietta, Oklahoma

3.  Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce   Decatur, Alabama

4.   Wabash BBQ   Excelsior Springs, Missouri

To me, the worst sauces out of that list (in specific order)

1.  McClard's   Hot Springs, Arkansas   (just a weird BBQ sauce, especially the consistency of it; reminded of salsa that is to dip chips in)

2.  Interstate BBQ   Memphis, Tennessee

3.  Fiorella's Jack Stack   Kansas City, Missouri

4.  Jack's Bar-B-Que   Nashville, Tennessee

5.  Three Brothers (Different Mothers)   Kansas City, Missouri

Clint Conque preferred Hog Pen BBQ

Gary Gibbs - Elmers BBQ

Brent Venables - used to be Runts, but now it's Carolina BBQ all the way

Rey Pygsterio

• Insane Luchador
  • Senior
  • Area code: 501
« Reply #15404 on: October 02, 2015, 09:33:30 am »

Boy, y'all really derailed this thread.

Enjoy this trip. Neyland Stadium is one of the great college football experiences in the country. Incredible atmosphere. And, no, there will not be empty seats just because of the rain (you are thinking of Fayetteville).

The place to eat is Calhoun's on the River, which is also a great college football atmosphere.

You will be able to find parking near the campus if you get there early enough. There is plenty to walk around and experience on and around the campus.

I would also say to get in the stadium early. They do pregame right in Knoxville.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15405 on: October 02, 2015, 09:51:51 am »

ricepig and GoHogs1091 arguing cole slaw - best thread ever

I agree GoHogs, cole slaw on BBQ is for stupid people.

ricepig??  :D

Jacks BBQ in Nashville is just fine - high vinegar content "Carolina style" is my favorite.

Knoxville - go get a meal at Litton's Market in Fountain City - it's one that Todd Blackledge featured on his travels

I knew you had a screw loose, vinegar BBQ sauce??? Why not just [CENSORED] it???
Truthfully, that's what our local place had growing up, Polar Freeze in WR, but between his sauce and excuse for slaw, I improved. It's funny, all my cousins from Memphis loved the BBQ there, I really think it was because our grandmother had a charge account there and all you had to do was sign.

HognVA

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15406 on: October 02, 2015, 10:44:50 am »

I knew you had a screw loose, vinegar BBQ sauce??? Why not just [CENSORED] it???
Truthfully, that's what our local place had growing up, Polar Freeze in WR, but between his sauce and excuse for slaw, I improved. It's funny, all my cousins from Memphis loved the BBQ there, I really think it was because our grandmother had a charge account there and all you had to do was sign.

Don't knock the vinegar sauce until you try it. It's just vinegar red pepper and spices to moisten the meat then put it on the bread with a little hot sauce and, yes Cole slaw. Good stuff, I've been eating it since I moved to SE VA years ago. I still like most all bbq styles except the South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce. And I love mustard....go figure.

MountieDawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #15407 on: October 02, 2015, 10:52:05 am »

My son and I are taking our yearly trip to see the Hogs play on the road.  We have never been to Knoxville and want to get the most out of our trip.  So I am looking for some advice from those of you that have been there................

Where is a good local place to eat near the stadium? 

How is the parking situation?  Where is an easy place to park to get out and head west after the game ends?

Any specific sights we should check out around the stadium (Volunteer Hall of Fame or museum, Peyton Manning statue, etc.) before the game?

Take a rain suit.... Its supposed to rain all weekend and lighting.... Hopefully they don't cancel the game after you make the trip!  I would stop at Gus's Chicken in Memphis for some great fried chicken with a kick!

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15408 on: October 02, 2015, 11:01:02 am »

Don't knock the vinegar sauce until you try it. It's just vinegar red pepper and spices to moisten the meat then put it on the bread with a little hot sauce and, yes Cole slaw. Good stuff, I've been eating it since I moved to SE VA years ago. I still like most all bbq styles except the South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce. And I love mustard....go figure.

I've tried it, that's what I was saying, I grew up with it. It isn't my favorite, so when given a chance, I don't use it. Truthfully, if the BBQ is moist, I don't put much on my sandwich. I do like slaw on it, especially a sweet slaw, but I understand those that don't.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15409 on: October 02, 2015, 11:06:29 am »

Take a rain suit.... Its supposed to rain all weekend and lighting.... Hopefully they don't cancel the game after you make the trip!  I would stop at Gus's Chicken in Memphis for some great fried chicken with a kick!

I'd stop at the original, although it burned down once?twice? in Mason, TN and avoid downtown Memphis, it's just east of Memphis, a few miles off of I-40.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #15410 on: October 02, 2015, 11:18:13 am »

I'd stop at the original, although it burned down once?twice? in Mason, TN and avoid downtown Memphis, it's just east of Memphis, a few miles off of I-40.
There's one in Southaven now, too.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15411 on: October 02, 2015, 11:42:43 am »

There's one in Southaven now, too.

Yep, I think 11 of them now. I ate at the one in Germantown/Collierville a few years ago, it wasn't the same. Now, the one downtown in LR was good this summer, like most franchises, they very. Jonesboro has had a Corky's and a Whole Hog franchise, they both closed because they weren't anywhere near the same as the original. Now, a former Nuthill boy has a great Corky's in LR.

BPsTheMan

« Reply #15412 on: October 02, 2015, 11:51:47 am »

thanks for setting ricepig straight

it's a community effort doing that - it takes a village

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15413 on: October 02, 2015, 12:09:24 pm »

thanks for setting ricepig straight

it's a community effort doing that - it takes a village

Whatcha got against a sweet molasses sauce?

mweston

• Varsity
« Reply #15414 on: October 02, 2015, 12:55:38 pm »

Not all automatically put slaw on it. Some places ask if you want it. That's true in other places besides Memphis as well. As far as sauce is concerned try Central because they have several flavors and types you can try first. There are a couple of more that do something similar as well.

There's a place down here in South Texas that does that on their Brisket Burger.   I can't stand it.

Rey Pygsterio

• Insane Luchador
  • Senior
  • Area code: 501
« Reply #15415 on: October 02, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »

First of all, this guy was asking for restaurants near the stadium IN KNOXVILLE.

He didn't ask for an extensive list of all the sauces one poster has tried (though it is impressive and I appreciate that you have kept a list).

Second, once again there are all these comments about staying out of Memphis just like some of you do with Little Rock.

Some of you apparently have a real fear of urban areas. That spot where Gus's is in Memphis is not a problem area that you should avoid.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #15416 on: October 02, 2015, 02:26:05 pm »

My son and I are taking our yearly trip to see the Hogs play on the road.  We have never been to Knoxville and want to get the most out of our trip.  So I am looking for some advice from those of you that have been there................

Where is a good local place to eat near the stadium? 

How is the parking situation?  Where is an easy place to park to get out and head west after the game ends?

Any specific sights we should check out around the stadium (Volunteer Hall of Fame or museum, Peyton Manning statue, etc.) before the game?

You may already know this but I'll post this driving information anyway: Just east of Dickson, TN there is a 4 lane divided highway that loops south and bypasses Nashville. It crosses I-65 and I-24 then ends at I-40 east of Nashville. It's 16 miles further but it's a heck of a lot faster and the scenery is beautiful. It's highway 840.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #15417 on: October 02, 2015, 06:23:02 pm »

You may already know this but I'll post this driving information anyway: Just east of Dickson, TN there is a 4 lane divided highway that loops south and bypasses Nashville. It crosses I-65 and I-24 then ends at I-40 east of Nashville. It's 16 miles further but it's a heck of a lot faster and the scenery is beautiful. It's highway 840.

It is a really nice highway built like an interstate. However the extra distance and faster time is dependent upon what time of day you go through Nashville…………..Rush Hour is bad but other than that I'd stay on the interstate.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #15418 on: October 02, 2015, 06:27:31 pm »

First of all, this guy was asking for restaurants near the stadium IN KNOXVILLE.

He didn't ask for an extensive list of all the sauces one poster has tried (though it is impressive and I appreciate that you have kept a list).

Second, once again there are all these comments about staying out of Memphis just like some of you do with Little Rock.

Some of you apparently have a real fear of urban areas. That spot where Gus's is in Memphis is not a problem area that you should avoid.

I don't have a fear of urban areas. I live in one. MOST people do. We do however recognize those that have high crimes and what areas to avoid and such. Which brings us to this: Your comment about Gus's shows that you don't know Memphis very well and don't realize there are more than one Gus's in Memphis and one of them is not in the best part of town. It isn't an area to be avoided but it is an area to be extra careful in and watch your back closer than others right off of downtown. The others are in good locations BUT only one of which is easy access on and off the interstate for those traveling through and that's the one by Wolfchase Mall behind the Hampton Inn.

tangman

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #15419 on: October 02, 2015, 08:26:24 pm »

Wish I had that information before I drove through Nashville this afternoon.

Beantown Razahback

• Hogvillian
  • Calling those Hogs from Northern New England
« Reply #15420 on: October 02, 2015, 08:42:30 pm »

First timer with an AG Campus parking pass. Anyone ever parked there and know what to expect as far as securing tailgating space?

murfvol

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15421 on: October 02, 2015, 11:06:03 pm »

If you're downtown, the easiest way to the stadium (avoid the most hills) is as follows. Find Clinch Ave, and walk past the Sunsphere (odd shiny golfball-looking thing), cross the bridge, and look to your left.

There's a hotel (4 Points by Sheraton or something)  by a parking garage. Angle left, and walk between them. Just past the hotel,   head left behind yhe garage, and cross yhe pedestrian bridge.

Veer left at the end, and head up the hill to the stadium.

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #15422 on: October 02, 2015, 11:18:20 pm »

My wife and I made the trip from Nashville to Knoxville today. Knoxville is one of my favorite cities in America. This will be my first Arkansas road game as well, so I'm pumped!

One of my favorite restaurants in town is Tupelo Honey. Just good southern food. Check it out, it's right down town.

Also, I love Memphis. And Blues City Cafe makes a mean rack of ribs.

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #15423 on: October 02, 2015, 11:20:17 pm »

Also, is anybody tailgating tomorrow? We'll probably head over to Neyland early to check out the festivities and would love to mingle with some Razorbacks.

AubFaninArk

• Varsity
« Reply #15424 on: October 03, 2015, 07:23:15 am »

Regionally, BBQ sauces are a very interesting aspect.  All of the BBQ sauces I have tried I had high expectations, and with some my expectations were not met, and then with some my expectations got met.

Here is the list of BBQ sauces I have eaten.  All of the following are Mild, no Hot Sauce.

Pink Flamingo    Fort Smith, Arkansas
Whole Hog Cafe    Fort Smith, Arkansas location
Jerry Neel's    Fort Smith, Arkansas
Penguin Ed's    Fayetteville, Arkansas
Rivertowne    Ozark, Arkansas
Back Door BBQ    Clarksville, Arkansas  (restaurant no longer in existence)
Hog Pen    Conway, Arkansas
Smitty's    Conway, Arkansas
McClard's    Hot Springs, Arkansas
Stubby's    Hot Springs, Arkansas
Uncle Joe's    Branson, Missouri  (restaurant no longer in existence as of several years ago, but sauce was still available up to around a year-and-half ago; I don't know since then)
Sadies    Branson, Missouri
Cowtown    Kansas City, Missouri
Fiorella's Jack Stack    Kansas City, Missouri
Gates and Sons    Kansas City, Missouri
Three Little Pigs Kansas City Competition Sauce    Kansas City, Missouri
Three Little Pigs Kansas City Sweet Sauce    Kansas City, Missouri
Three Brothers (Different Mothers)    Kansas City, Missouri
Wabash BBQ    Excelsior Springs, Missouri
Smokers Wild    Paola, Kansas
K&M    Spring Hill, Kansas
Curley's Hickory Barbeque Sauce    Hutchinson, Kansas
Elmer's    Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sa-Mokin Competition Recipe Barbeque Sauce    Tulsa, Oklahoma
Head Country    Ponca City, Oklahoma
Runt's    Muskogee, Oklahoma
My Place    Muskogee, Oklahoma
Fish's    Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Butcher BBQ    Chandler, Oklahoma
Van's Pig Stand    Shawnee, Oklahoma
John's BBQ    Okemah, Oklahoma
Horizon Original    Perry, Oklahoma   (Horizon also makes Smokers)
Lotta Bull BBQ    Marietta, Oklahoma
Sweet Spirit Foods    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Corky's    Memphis, Tennessee
Interstate BBQ    Memphis, Tennessee   (Jim Neely's place)
Rendezvous    Memphis, Tennessee
Neely's    Memphis, Tennessee   (Pat Neely's place)  used to also have a location in Nashville, Tennessee, but I don't know if it is still there
Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce    Decatur, Alabama
Jack's Bar-B-Que    Nashville, Tennessee   (on Broadway)
Sticky Fingers Memphis Original    Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina  (a Memphis style sauce)

To me, the best sauces out of that list (in specific order)

1a. Van's Pig Stand   Shawnee, Oklahoma
tie  1b. Curley's Hickory Barbeque Sauce   Hutchinson, Kansas

2.  Lotta Bull BBQ   Marietta, Oklahoma

3.  Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce   Decatur, Alabama

4.   Wabash BBQ   Excelsior Springs, Missouri

To me, the worst sauces out of that list (in specific order)

1.  McClard's   Hot Springs, Arkansas   (just a weird BBQ sauce, especially the consistency of it; reminded of salsa that is to dip chips in)

2.  Interstate BBQ   Memphis, Tennessee

3.  Fiorella's Jack Stack   Kansas City, Missouri

4.  Jack's Bar-B-Que   Nashville, Tennessee

5.  Three Brothers (Different Mothers)   Kansas City, Missouri

No Wild Horse in Sallisaw??  Love Gibson's White sauce as well.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #15425 on: October 03, 2015, 11:28:45 pm »

I have never eaten at Wild Horse Mountain BBQ in Sallisaw.  I have though heard from people that it isn't as good since the Father passed away.  The Son now operates it, and I have heard that the Father didn't pass on his recipes to the Son  (the Father took the recipes to his grave).

I have never tried Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce.  People do feel that it really excels with BBQ chicken.

I am wanting to try some more BBQ sauces.  Here is what I am wanting to try.

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/biggs-original-barbeque-sauce

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/kosmos-competition-bbq-sauce

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/papa-browns-homemade-bar-b-q-sauce-21oz

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/plowboys-kc-crossroads-bbq-sauce-16-oz

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/the-sauce-hillsdale-bank-original

BadHog

« Reply #15426 on: October 03, 2015, 11:36:54 pm »

Amateurs no nothing of Wild Horse In Sallisaw! It's been 8 years since I've been there!

sickboy

« Reply #15427 on: October 04, 2015, 04:27:05 am »

I'm hungry

procsol

• Walk-On
RV Parking for Auburn
« Reply #15428 on: October 06, 2015, 10:32:49 am »

Is there such thing as an RV exchange board for RoadHogs?  I would like a pass with hook ups for the Auburn game. 

I know some other SEC schools have an official school sanctioned board that existing pass holders can place their pass for sale at face value.

TulsaHawg

• Moderator for the Nutt Huggers
Re: RV Parking for Auburn
« Reply #15429 on: October 06, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »

There is parking available at Roadhog Park for non-members on the gravel lot with no hookups on football weekends. The fee is $150 for conference games.  Non-members are not permitted to use the electric sites during football weeks.  During other times of the year, non-members may use electric sites.

For more information, go to www.arkansasroadhogs.net

ImHogginIt

Re: RV Parking for Auburn
« Reply #15430 on: October 07, 2015, 01:26:41 am »

There is parking available at Roadhog Park for non-members on the gravel lot with no hookups on football weekends. The fee is $150 for conference games.  Non-members are not permitted to use the electric sites during football weeks.  During other times of the year, non-members may use electric sites.

For more information, go to www.arkansasroadhogs.net

Just pray it does not rain. The gravel lot can get nasty. we had an RV there for Bama in 2012 when it rained all day. Tracked a crap load of mud  inside the RV and it was too muddy to set up tailgate gear outside under canopy.

RazorWild

• Senior
Going to T-Town
« Reply #15431 on: October 07, 2015, 08:23:56 am »

Headed to the game this weekend.  Never been to Bryant-Denny.  Just driving over early that morning and leaving after.  Any must see/things to do?  I've heard the Bryant museum?  Any links or info greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Go Hogs!  :razorback:

crimsonaudio

• Bench Warmer
Re: Going to T-Town
« Reply #15432 on: October 07, 2015, 08:44:25 am »

Lots of good info for visitors here: http://uagameday.com

Bryant Museum is a must-see. The strip (north side of the stadium) is where all the partying happens, tailgating will be happening most everywhere. I like to park at Central HS (south side of stadium, on 15th St), usually Boy Scouts or some group charging $20, but when the game is over, you're only a 10 minute walk from the stadium and you can avoid the traffic jam on 15th by leaving the rear side of the school parking lot.

Hope you enjoy your time Tuscaloosa (except for the outcome of the game).

RTR

bigdaddyhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bringing Refinement To Hogville Since '09
« Reply #15433 on: October 07, 2015, 09:18:05 am »

Headed to the game this weekend.  Never been to Bryant-Denny.  Just driving over early that morning and leaving after.  Any must see/things to do?  I've heard the Bryant museum?  Any links or info greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Go Hogs!  :razorback:

When I saw the thread I though "Why is he sharing he's going to Texarkana?"

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #15434 on: October 07, 2015, 09:52:45 am »

If you want to fit in and not get hassled for being an enemy fan, you need to take some pliers and pull out most of your teeth. Then you're good.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #15435 on: October 07, 2015, 10:22:24 am »

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #15436 on: October 07, 2015, 12:10:04 pm »

I always liked the civil rights history stuff. Take a moment at the monument just up from the stadium. Get the barbecue nachos inside the stadium.

RazorWild

• Senior
« Reply #15437 on: October 07, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »

Thanks for info yall.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Waldron Bulldogs 3-2
« Reply #15438 on: October 07, 2015, 12:56:05 pm »

Nice stadium, tv's everywhere.  go whistling through the graveyard if you can.  ;)

PP

RazorWild

• Senior
« Reply #15439 on: October 07, 2015, 01:04:45 pm »

When I saw the thread I though "Why is he sharing he's going to Texarkana?"

Yeah I always confused that being from Magnolia.  We went to Texarkana frequently.

LR Hog

« Reply #15440 on: October 07, 2015, 01:22:05 pm »

Walk around The Quad staring at the coeds.  Be sure and wear dark sunglasses so you don't get caught. 

Hog_Swanson

• WWWWD?
« Reply #15441 on: October 07, 2015, 01:24:43 pm »

Walk around The Quad staring at the coeds.  Be sure and wear dark sunglasses so you don't get caught.
Atta boy creeper.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15442 on: October 07, 2015, 01:42:17 pm »

I hear their Klan rallies are top notch.

uams1989

• Hogvillian
  • At some places, they play football...we live it!
« Reply #15443 on: October 07, 2015, 03:29:55 pm »

I hear their Klan rallies are top notch.

You've obviously never been. We don't have that in Tuscaloosa. Must be thinking about Oxford.

uams1989

• Hogvillian
  • At some places, they play football...we live it!
« Reply #15444 on: October 07, 2015, 03:34:26 pm »

Friends outside the SEC who've seen the campus will tell you that's what a college campus is supposed to look like.

Take in the Quad, beautiful girls included (except for the freshman that answers to Carli...that's my daughter!)

Seriously, Tuscaloosa is not that great but the campus and BDS make up for it.

Only go to the original Dreamland off Jug Factory Road. The franchises are nothing special. But, you'll have a hard time getting in.

Have a safe trip and enjoy it until post game!  RTR

davispard

• Senior
« Reply #15445 on: October 07, 2015, 06:41:09 pm »

Get ready to have all those, 100000+ fans, shaking those red & white pom poms at the section where all/most of the Hog fans sit.  And, get ready to see the ghost of Coach Bryant watching the Bama players warm up, doing so while listening to Lynyrd Skynrd singing "Sweet Home Alabama", blaring out of some of the biggest speakers at any stadium.  And, then finally, if we happen to lose (and that is NOT a given) by either 1 or 100 points, all those "tiders" will stand up in unison, waving those same pom poms, and start their very irritating chant which goes roughly like this:  blah, blah blah, hey Arkansas we just beat the hell out of you.

One of the greatest places to see a football game ANYWHERE in America, and I love DWRS, but there really is no where like Tuscaloosa for college football.  Enjoy the trip; it's worth it...

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #15446 on: October 07, 2015, 08:39:32 pm »

The campus is nice the locals are polite (at least before the game), many of them will greet you and tell you they are grilling pork (they think that is just a hilarious joke - guess they don't know that you always eat the winner). Last time I was there was when we beat them after the rain delays, I think it was 2009. Some of the older fans were quite grumpy at the end and after the game, kept yelling at us and telling us to sit down. It was an awesome trip, we had painted Beat Bama and Roll Hogs on the sides and back window of the SUV, driving through some of the smaller villages in rural Alabama the natives looked at the car like if they had seen a UFO.

You will also get a lot of love when you stop to get gas etc from Auburn fans. (At least that week).

MissippHog

« Reply #15447 on: October 07, 2015, 09:50:07 pm »

I went for the first time 2 years ago.  Dreamland was ok (I've been spoiled with all the BBQ places in Memphis.)  Had a good time there though chatting with Bammers.  Had a good time walking around campus and the stadium prior to the game too.  Everyone was polite and cordial, will definitely go back some day.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15448 on: October 07, 2015, 10:39:46 pm »

You've obviously never been. We don't have that in Tuscaloosa. Must be thinking about Oxford.

So you have been to Oxford, thanks for the warning.

TIDE-HSV

• Walk-On
« Reply #15449 on: October 08, 2015, 12:20:26 am »

You won't see a single confederate battle banner...
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 308 [309] 310 311 312 ... 369   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas