Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC has more teams in sweet 16 than any other conference-Eat That, Billy Packer!

Started by timmyhog, March 18, 2007, 04:16:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timmyhog

Year after year I have to listen to the idiot talkig heads from the northeast run their mouths about the ACC, Big Ten and Big East and how they are the true power conferences in College Basketball...

So, for the morons who are self-appointed experts, here's how their beloved power conferences seem to be breaking down for the Final Four:

Big Ten... 7 teams in the tournament... ONLY ONE TEAM (Ohio State) made the sweet 16!!!
ACC.....    7 teams in the tournament... ONLY ONE TEAM (UNC) made the sweet 16!!!
Big East... 5 teams in the tournament... ONLY TWO TEAMS (GTown, Pitt) made the sweet 16!!!

and... how did the lowly SEC fare??? 

SEC... 5 teams invited.... 3 (maybe 4) in the sweet 16!!! (Vandy, Florida, Tennessee, and KENTUCKY -if they beat Kansas)

So... EAT IT, Billy Packer et al!!!! 

PiggyBack

Quote from: timmyhog on March 18, 2007, 04:16:20 pm
Year after year I have to listen to the idiot talkig heads from the northeast run their mouths about the ACC, Big Ten and Big East and how they are the true power conferences in College Basketball...

So, for the morons who are self-appointed experts, here's how their beloved power conferences seem to be breaking down for the Final Four:

Big Ten... 7 teams in the tournament... ONLY ONE TEAM (Ohio State) made the sweet 16!!!
ACC.....    7 teams in the tournament... ONLY ONE TEAM (UNC) made the sweet 16!!!
Big East... 5 teams in the tournament... ONLY TWO TEAMS (GTown, Pitt) made the sweet 16!!!

SEC... 5 teams invited.... 3 (maybe 4) in the sweet 16!!! (Vandy, Florida, Tennessee, and KENTUCKY -if they beat Kansas)

It doesn't matter what the facts are, the media will never give the SEC the respect it is due.
Prior to the BCS Championship BLOWOUT, the announcers were saying that FL would have to play a "perfect" game to keep up with OSU.  FL then soundly beat OSU into a bloody pulp.

The SEC is the best conference in college sports, bar none.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

TheMediocreEra

Quote from: PiggyBack on March 18, 2007, 04:20:03 pm

It doesn't matter what the facts are, the media will never give the SEC the respect it is due.
Prior to the BCS Championship BLOWOUT, the announcers were saying that FL would have to play a "perfect" game to keep up with OSU.  FL then soundly beat OSU into a bloody pulp.

The Big Ten was way overrated this year.

jbcarol

Great post!  +1
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

WindyCityHog

Quote from: ThunderHog on March 18, 2007, 04:28:22 pm
Thank goodness for the SEC East.

Thank goodness for the SEC.

Seems Hog fans have to rely on the rest of the conference to make Hog fans feel better.

There comes a time when Arkansas needs to return the favor.....and that has been a long time coming.

Arkansas=Dick Trickle of NASCAR.....a player....but a joke as well.

Thing is, I don't think Florida or their fans really care what conference they are in....they are simply Gator fans....and I, for one, want no part of coattail riding.

razorson

Yuo sir are 100% correct.

mdizzy

Thanks for the stats.  I'm pulling for Kentucky big-time to represent the SEC.  Hopefully we will have 2 SEC teams in the final four two years in a row.

VetRock

Quote from: TheMediocreEra on March 18, 2007, 04:22:47 pm

That's almost always a true statement.
"Gaps!"
"Gaps?"
"Yeah, Gaps.  She got gaps, I got gaps, together we got no gaps."
---From The Movie "Rocky"

LoseAnutt

I don't care if 10 SEC teams make it to the Sweet 16 or whatever. What good would it do us if we aren't one of those 10 teams? The University of Arkansas basketball team is a joke guys. Things will not get better until we all admit this.

mdizzy

it makes our record look better being 7-9 in the toughest conference in America.  It's a consolation prize, but it matters nonetheless come tournament selection time and seedings.

ThunderHog

Quote from: mdizzy on March 18, 2007, 05:51:16 pm
it makes our record look better being 7-9 in the toughest conference in America.  It's a consolation prize, but it matters nonetheless come tournament selection time and seedings.
Consolations are for losers!

jbcarol

Jim Nantz, Packer's broadcast play-by-play partner just admitted the SEC has performed the best of any conference in the last two years.  Packer not ready to concede the ACC yet.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

mdizzy

Quote from: ThunderHog on March 18, 2007, 06:11:40 pm

So are moral victories but didn't you know that we are "SEC WEST CHAMPIONS?"

mdizzy

Quote from: jbcarol on March 18, 2007, 06:13:52 pm
Jim Nantz, Packer's broadcast play-by-play partner just admitted the SEC has performed the best of any conference in the last two years.  Packer not ready to concede the ACC yet.

One team left out of 7 in the ACC and Packer is still being stubborn.  Classic.

stratpkr

Quote from: ThunderHog on March 18, 2007, 06:11:40 pm

Sure, but whats your point?

Footballref

Hogtropolis™

The PAC-10 also has 3 teams in the Sweet 16.  It will be interesting to see how many from each conference make it to the Elite 8.  We will have 1 Big East/PAC 10 matchup, 1 ACC/PAC 10 matchup, 1 SEC/Big East matchup, and 1 Big 10/SEC matchup.  The other matchups are between power conferences and a major/mid-major team.

jbcarol

The Committee's ranking of the remaining 16 teams based on the "S-curve":

1. Florida
2. No. Car.
3. Ohio St.
4. Kansas
5. UCLA
6. Memphis
7. Georgetown
8. Oregon
9. Texas A&M
10. Pittsburgh
11. So. Ill.
12. Butler
13. So. Cal.
14. Tennessee
15. Vandy
16. UNLV

Confererence Report (Teams Left):

ACC       1
Big East  2
Pac 10   3
Big 12    2
Big 10    1
SEC       3
Other     4

SEC is doing as well or better than everyone but the "Big Other".

TRUHOG718

Im not much for moral victories. our players are home watching due to their lack of "wanting it more"
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

rupert

Billy P is giving Pac 10 credit for doing well in the tournament and having 3 teams..He is noit mentioning SEC

jbcarol

Quote from: rupert on March 18, 2007, 06:31:57 pm
Billy P is giving Pac 10 credit for doing well in the tournament and having 3 teams..He is noit mentioning SEC

Stubborn

An old hog fanatic

Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

jbcarol

Quote from: mid-georgia-hogfan on March 18, 2007, 06:46:43 pm
I'm really thankful Packer is around.  He is so easy to despise.

He's losing it a little bit as well.  Today Nantz was doing a 60 minutes promo and equated Packer with American Idol judge Simon Cowell.  Packer implicitly threatened to get physical with Nantz and then Nantz's ego flared up.  He may get tired of trying to prop Billy up one of these days and let him flop.

Dugann

Sort of funny Uh, take that national media, yea the SEC is not very strong...my arse!  Damn ACC huggers.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

jbcarol

billyhog and timmyhog coming thru with great conference posts!  +1

Pigonometry

Kentucky and Arkansas are not among them.  Who would have belived that 10 or 12 years ago? 

My how times have changed.............
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Pigonometry

Quote from: TheMediocreEra on March 18, 2007, 04:22:47 pm

And almost every other year for that matter.............
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

slopinhogs

i could never cheer for Florida i can't help it if they are SEC i just don't like em.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

TRUHOG718

Quote from: slopinhogs on March 18, 2007, 08:27:03 pm
i could never cheer for Florida i can't help it if they are SEC i just don't like em.

Yeah they hurt Manimal on purpose.  Just kidding but I dont care to much for them either. I like Donovan though

Niels Boar

Quote from: billyhog on March 18, 2007, 08:05:28 pm

I'm pulling for the SEC teams.  Not that I enjoy riding their coatails, just feel like the SEC has been dissed hard this year by Packer, Vitale and the rest of the sports talking heads, who are beyond biased.  The SEC gets overlooked in football, too ??? 

Tourney Outcomes to date
SEC        7-2   3 Sweet 16 teams
Pac 10    7-3   3
Big 12     5-2   2
Big East  5-4   2
Big 10     6-5   1
ACC        6-5   1
Con. USA 2-0   1
Horizon    2-1  1
Mizz Val.  2-1   1
Mtn. W.   2-1   1

You can go ahead and lump the Big 10 and ACC in with Conference USA, Horizon League, Missouri Valley and Mountain West. 

Here's to Vandy, Tennessee and Florida making it to the Final 4, it could happen, they're all 3 in different regions.

One more thing, screw Vitale for praising the PAC 10 for their 3 teams in the final 16 and not mentioning the SEC.  It's unbelievable, baby.

I'd rate the Pac-10 first.  All three of their remaining teams could make it to the Elite Eight and beyond.  I was impressed that Oregon blew out Winthrop, who has a real solid BB team.  The Quackers probably don't have enough on the frontline to take out UF, though.

SEC would be #2, though UT and Vandy got perfect draws.  UT hasn't faced a frontline yet.  GW and Washington St. were overseeded.  Both UT and Vandy would have been crushed by Kansas or USC, I suspect.   Both will have to be unconscious from the perimeter to advance in the S16. 

Big 12 is third with a strong chance for two FF teams.  Texas A&M is in the weakest region.  They were fortunate to slip by Louisville in a horribly officiated game that became a FT contest.  Kansas might win it all.

Big East is a close fourth.  Louisville had A&M on the ropes.  Pitt isn't great but has had an easy draw.  Georgetown should advance to at least the Elite Eight.

The ACC and Big 10 teams have generally looked slow, especially the ACC surprisingly enough.  The ACC has been the real disappointment.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: Pigonometry on March 18, 2007, 08:20:34 pm
Kentucky and Arkansas are not among them.  Who would have belived that 10 or 12 years ago? 

A change is on the horizon brotha.... I HOPE.

wirebender25

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 18, 2007, 08:54:48 pm

A change is on the horizon brotha.... I HOPE.

Hey, that change will be at Kentucky.

TransAmHawg

Those should be our first 16 calls in the coaching search. I'd start with A&M.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

HognotinMemphis

Yeah, and Arkansas was in the SECCG game again in football...just like 12 years ago...and got another "L" and proceeded to lose the following bowl game again. My how nothing has changed.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

JRAZOR24

With three SEC teams in the final four Vanderbilt, Tenessee, and Florida I think that shows that we need more bids.
DMAC FOR HEISMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hawaiianhogster

whatsshakinbacon

Do you feel that?

That cool breeze on the back of your neck making your hairs rise and your spine tingle?

Yes...that breeze.

It is the wind of change.  Starting ever so slowly at first. 

;)

Bacon out...

jamie72921

Did you see the Arkansas vs USC game?

I said a month ago the western division didn't deserve a team in this year's tournament. Friday night, our team proved me right.

You are right though, there have been times when the SEC has deserved more teams than it gets.
This was a down year however and the committee got it right for the most part.
Bless your heart

cessna8667

Three SEC teams in the final four!?!  Wow, I thought I was going to have to wait until next weekend to find that out, thanks for the heads-up...  But on a more serious note, it should be taken on a team-by-team basis, not based on what conference you are in.  If we got 56% of our field goals and competed strongly on the road, had a winning conference record, then yes I think we should go.  This year, we got in, but obviously we couldn't compete with a top 20 team from the PAC-10...  I'd say the committee did a good job this year, cept Syracuse got robbed.

jbcarol

7-seed is the worse seed left.  Only 5 teams with a 5,6, or 7 seed make the Sweet 16.

bigyellowdog

Only one ACC team is left???   I am sure Billy Packer and Dickie V can easily explain that.

ChrisD

SEC            5 in 3 left
Pac 10        6 in 3 left 

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on March 18, 2007, 06:26:34 pm
The Committee's ranking of the remaining 16 teams based on the "S-curve":

1. Florida
2. No. Car.
3. Ohio St.
4. Kansas
5. UCLA
6. Memphis
7. Georgetown
8. Oregon
9. Texas A&M
10. Pittsburgh
11. So. Ill.
12. Butler
13. So. Cal.
14. Tennessee
15. Vandy
16. UNLV

Confererence Report (Teams Left):

ACC       1
Big East  2
Pac 10   3
Big 12    2
Big 10    1
SEC       3
Other     4

SEC is doing as well or better than everyone but the "Big Other".

Four 1 Seeds
Three 2 Seeds
Three 3 Seeds
One   4 Seed
Three 5 Seeds
One   6 Seed
One   7 Seed

RazorBassin

Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 18, 2007, 04:40:09 pm
Quote from: ThunderHog on March 18, 2007, 04:28:22 pm
Thank goodness for the SEC East.

Thank goodness for the SEC.

Seems Hog fans have to rely on the rest of the conference to make Hog fans feel better.

There comes a time when Arkansas needs to return the favor.....and that has been a long time coming.

Arkansas=Dick Trickle of NASCAR.....a player....but a joke as well.

Thing is, I don't think Florida or their fans really care what conference they are in....they are simply Gator fans....and I, for one, want no part of coattail riding.

But how many other teams went to SECCG's this year, 1.  Now winning them, that is another story.  We may not be the cream of the crop, but with just a few puffs of this winds of change, maybe we can be "THAT TEAM" that WINS BB and FB SECCG's.  Who knows?

hogsgonewild30

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on March 18, 2007, 11:33:16 pm
It better be a change for success.

florida is only in because the refs helped them in, purdue got screwd.  butler will sink noah's ark