Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doc Sadler (All posts go HERE)

Started by USCoastGuard, March 17, 2007, 11:27:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Doc is ok in my book, but I think a lot of fans would be disappointed by that choice

hogfansince1964

If Stan Heath is let go or leaves on his own, then I think when it is all said and done that Doc Sadler will be the next head basketball coach of the Hogs.

I just don't see the two big names being mentioned as being willing to take a chance on rebuilding the Arkansas program when they already have top notch programs where they are and are not hurting for money.

jackflash

I like reading all these post, they come with some great names for a future coach.  I for one do not know who they need to hire, I hope the hire someone who will stand like a man like our current coach.  I like Stan, but this does not seem to be working. I believe the name that matter the most is own the front of the jersey.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

BRC0180

March 18, 2007, 12:35:19 pm #53 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:48:14 pm by BRC0180
Nobody will ever confuse Doc's successful head coaching record with Nutts pre-hog record.

Nutt did not pay dues.  You can't say Doc has not earned his way to a BCS school.

If you are going to say that Doc won at UTEP with BCG's players, then give him credit for going 18-10, beating Tech at Lubbock, sweeping Missouri, beating Kansas State, Oklahoma State with the same players that got Barry Collier fired.

Why do we support him?  Because we know what he will do if given the opportunity.  You would never hear a player say "they wanted it more, or we got outworked."  He runs the same ship Self/BCG does.  Don't take our word, just ask BCG after he turns it down (if he turns it down).  Both Self/BCG will tell you to hire Doc.  That is why his name is even being mentioned.  By the way Doc would have signed James Anderson.

hogfansince1964

It is very, very doubtful that either of the two big names will come to Arkansas, regardless of our wishful thinking.

So, who is a realistic choice number 3?  I think that Doc Sadler fills that bill.

AltaHog

I would have to disagree, if for no other reason than the fact that Doc Sadler, is a man of Character and Integrity.

I am not commenting in one way, or another, on Doc's coaching ability.

BRC0180

Quote from: donewithdale on March 18, 2007, 12:40:45 pm
Quote from: BRC0180 on March 18, 2007, 12:35:19 pm
Doc would have signed James Anderson, and not signed Rakestraw

That is exactly my point.  He is a much better recruiter than Stan for the UofA.  Stan can recruit just not in the south.  Why do you think Stan had to bring in the former OSU asst.  Juco/HS coaches love Doc all over this region.  Self/BCG/Doc all recruit the "Diamond" very well.  North to Chicago/Memphis/Tulsa-OKC/Dallas.  Besides the recruiting issue, you will not make it a practice much less a career for Doc if you do not play like your @ss is on fire and your hair is catching.  You would never have to worry about kids not competing their tale off if he is on the watch.

rowdy1

>:(How ironic!!! I was calling for this hire last year and no one would listen to me....If you think Doc Sadler is not the right person for the job it's only because you haven't followed his career.  HE'S A WINNER, NO MATTER WHAT HE DOES AND WHERE HE DOES IT!   :razorback:
Stop bitching! Don't believe everything you read.  Do the research!  Believe in the Hogs~

501Ben

RhodeHog

I don't want a coach that has any roots in Arkansas whatsoever.  I've seen how the buddy system works and I don't like it.

rljjr

Doc hasn't "earned" anything as far as I am concerned. HE shouldn't even be in the discussion. If he's the best we can get, keep Heath.

T-Bag Hawg

Fork over some real money and get a good established coach.  You get what you pay for...i.e.  Heath and Nutt.  Two up and comers who never came.
It's a pill, that gives worms to ex-girlfriends!  You just don't get it!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: donewithdale on March 18, 2007, 12:31:39 pm
I'm not sure why we would even consider going down this path again.

Doc is a good ole boy from Arkansas with many backers here who would be blindly loyal.  If he would start to fail it would not be acknowledged by many in our media or fan base.  Thus, he would be kept beyond when he should be because of this blind loyalty.

Doc is not qualified just as Nutt was not qualified.  He does have more experience than Nutt but not what should qualify him for our job. 

Doc would be left a team talented enough to win in his first season giving his blindly loyal backers enough to pound their chests and for the gullible and naive to buy into him as the next coaching legend here.  That is very similar to Nutt as he was left SEC Ch caliber talent(which he squandered but few would admit at the time or even a few years later).  Nate Allen did a nice job comparing this situation that our next bask coach will be in from a team standpoint to start to Nutt's start.  And again, like with Nutt, when it becomes obvious that he is in over his head, his blindly loyal in-state support would manage to deny the obvious and continue to support him much as they have done with Nutt keeping him here too long.

I just can't understand why anyone would be supportive of this hire unless they are going to be a part of the blindly loyal group.  Its Nutt all over again.

Boy, you nailed it. If they hire Sadler, they're more stupid than I can even imagine. I'd keep Heath before I'd hire Sadler. Sadler has one year as a head coach at Nebraska. He should not even be a candidate for the Arkansas job.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

rowdy1

He's a great recruiter, look at his recruits while coaching under Sutton at AR :razorback: :razorback:
Stop bitching! Don't believe everything you read.  Do the research!  Believe in the Hogs~

football17

If you think Heath is better than Sadler then you need to get a grip of reality. Do a little homework. Sadler is a phenominal coach, great disciplinarian, full of energy and intensity. He would be a great, great coach at UA if Bill or Bill don't come.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: donewithdale on March 18, 2007, 05:29:25 pm
Quote from: football17 on March 18, 2007, 05:25:43 pm
If you think Heath is better than Sadler then you need to get a grip of reality. Do a little homework. Sadler is a phenominal coach, great disciplinarian, full of energy and intensity. He would be a great, great coach at UA if Bill or Bill don't come.

At this point, I think few would argue that Heath is better.  But that's not saying we should fire him to hire Nutt-oops sorry- Doc. 

What homework?  He did well at a JC.  He helped BG rebuild at UTEP, won after BG left and then left UTEP in a rebuilding mode.  Jury out after one year at Nebraska.  Is that a resume worthy of our attention?  Better question:  Would he even be mentioned if not for the homer ties?

He clearly wouldn't even be a known name in Arkansas if not for homer ties. That is reason enough to cross him off the list. I'd rather the U of A hire HSV to coach the team than hire Doc Sadler.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Winner

Exactly. Doc wouldn't even be in the discussion if he wasn't from Arkansas. He's not qualified, period.

BRC0180

Your right he is a nobody.  He is not a head coach in the best coaching league in college basketball.  He has not recruited pros at every place he has been at since his high school days.  The last 25 years he has been bumming around.  Because he is from Arkansas, worked for Coach Sutton he is Houston Nutt.  Because he was a JUCO coach in Arkansas he is a good ol boy.  Your right he does not deserved to be mentioned.  I can accept you will never accept him as a serious candidate, if you can accept that Haskins, Self, BCG will push him for this job very hard (if they do not accept it)

BRC0180

Quote from: HogZ28 on March 18, 2007, 05:58:00 pm
Quote from: BRC0180 on March 18, 2007, 05:54:31 pm
Your right he is a nobody.  He is not a head coach in the best coaching league in college basketball.  He has not recruited pros at every place he has been at since his high school days.  The last 25 years he has been bumming around.  Because he is from Arkansas, worked for Coach Sutton he is Houston Nutt.  Because he was a JUCO coach in Arkansas he is a good ol boy.  Your right he does not deserved to be mentioned.  I can accept you will never accept him as a serious candidate, if you can accept that Haskins, Self, BCG will push him for this job very hard (if they do not accept it)

Do you know for a fact that Haskins, Self or BCG will push him for this job?

Without a doubt.  If Self or BCG does not take the job, they will push him hard.  Those three have come throught the ranks together.  They have helped each other. 

BRC0180

Quote from: donewithdale on March 18, 2007, 05:59:55 pm

And Nick Saban recommeded LSU talk to Nutt.  Why should we do what those coaches say when they are looking out for the best interest of their boy, not us?

They are "boys."  They do look out for each other.  The point is if you are interested in the way one of them plays, your interested in the way all three of them play.  They do the same things offensively/defensively.  Practice planning, discipline, they do the same things.  They developed this philosophy together as they were coming through the ranks.

BRC0180

Quote from: donewithdale on March 18, 2007, 06:13:08 pm
Quote from: BRC0180 on March 18, 2007, 06:07:04 pm
Quote from: donewithdale on March 18, 2007, 05:59:55 pm

And Nick Saban recommeded LSU talk to Nutt.  Why should we do what those coaches say when they are looking out for the best interest of their boy, not us?

They are "boys."  They do look out for each other.  The point is if you are interested in the way one of them plays, your interested in the way all three of them play.  They do the same things offensively/defensively.  Practice planning, discipline, they do the same things.  They developed this philosophy together as they were coming through the ranks.

You speak of coming through the ranks.  Self is younger and has already coached at Ill and now KU.  BG is about the same age and also passed Doc a few years ago as the leader of the UTEP rebuild and we know what he's doing now.  Doc got his start as an asst at a solid program- Arkansas.  How have Self and BG managed to pass him in his career considering his age and start if he is close to their level?

Will do your research for you:

While Self was an upcoming asst at Kansas/OSU he recruited JUCO kids while Doc was at then Westark.  Self took the ORU job, Doc took the asst job at Texas Tech/Arizona State.  Self gets the Tulsa Job needs an asst who can recruit Texas.  Doc puts him on to a up coming hs/juco coach in Texas = BCG.  Doc goes back to UAFS to be the AD/HC.  Gillespie gets the UTEP job finishes first year.  BCG knows he is going to A&M very early.  Brings Doc in to be the next HC.  How do they pass him?  How did Billy Donovan pass Tubby Smith/Ralph Willard.  Timing, Timing, Timing.  None of these guys just show up and get a head coaching job.  They all do time, pay dues, hopefully get lucky and catch a break.  Some due faster than others.  Porter Moser gets a job before BCG or Doc.  He got fired last week.  A big part of this is timing.

BRC0180

Quote from: donewithdale on March 18, 2007, 06:39:49 pm
You can continue to research. 

And did you ever think BD passed Willard because he's a better coach and that's why he is winning NCs at Florida while Willard is at some meaningless northeastern program?  Just hurt your case with one if it had any relevance to start.

I think we hire self or Gillispie.  You would be happy with that.  Me to
If by some flux capacitor happening Doc were to be considered:  It is not the same as Nutless.

jamie72921

I am in agreement that Doc isn't the answer.

But Doc is a local guy who has never done anthing but serve our Hogs in a respectful way.

We should support guys like Doc as much as possible and not bash him before he has even done anything wrong here.

I wish Doc all the success in the world and maybe after he has proven himself, he could come back to our program.
Bless your heart

pigfeet

Quote from: donewithdale on March 18, 2007, 12:31:39 pm
I'm not sure why we would even consider going down this path again.

Doc is a good ole boy from Arkansas with many backers here who would be blindly loyal.  If he would start to fail it would not be acknowledged by many in our media or fan base.  Thus, he would be kept beyond when he should be because of this blind loyalty.

Doc is not qualified just as Nutt was not qualified.  He does have more experience than Nutt but not what should qualify him for our job. 

Doc would be left a team talented enough to win in his first season giving his blindly loyal backers enough to pound their chests and for the gullible and naive to buy into him as the next coaching legend here.  That is very similar to Nutt as he was left SEC Ch caliber talent(which he squandered but few would admit at the time or even a few years later).  Nate Allen did a nice job comparing this situation that our next bask coach will be in from a team standpoint to start to Nutt's start.  And again, like with Nutt, when it becomes obvious that he is in over his head, his blindly loyal in-state support would manage to deny the obvious and continue to support him much as they have done with Nutt keeping him here too long.

I just can't understand why anyone would be supportive of this hire unless they are going to be a part of the blindly loyal group.  Its Nutt all over again.

I agree

malzhanista

I hear Doc is interviewing in fayetteville. Might have already happened.

Dugann

I totally don't wnat Doc Sadler here, that would not be wise or good at all omg.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

malzhanista

There is a thread over on the blackboard.

mbgrulz

DS would be nutt all over again. a blackslap, homeboy hire. there are doc sadlers all over the country. why should we have to get one? we deserve a bill self or gillispie.

if we are gonna make a HO-HUM hire like DS, then i'd rather go with someone more exciting like the VCU coach. at least he'd play an up-tempo style.

success needs to happen now at the UA. we can't hire someone who needs a couple of years to get the ball rolling. we will have the seniors and returning players to win next year, so hiring a longshot would be financial suicide for the BAC.

slopinhogs

i have never even seen a headline about doc anywhere.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

sechawgfan

I vote Calipari also..............  But DOC?   You have to be kidding!!!!!   Someone please tell me how you justify him as a canidate?  This program deserves a top knotch coach, hell he doesnt even make top 50.

MizzouRah

Take this for the little it is worth.

I am hoping that Arkansas makes our life easier at Missouri with this hire.  So (in order) I hope you hire Gillespie, Self, Sadler. 

I don't know if Doc will ever be able to get championship level talent to Nebraska, that's a tough hill to climb but I watched several of NU's games and I was extremely impressed with the job he did this year.

If you all hired Sutton or McDermott I would not be all that happy as I don't think they are going to be overly successful at OSU or ISU.  If you hired Capel I wouldn't know what to think but I think but I am inclined to say he was a good hire but I think MU is going to be ahead of OU most years in the Big XII once Anderson gets his players in.  Huggins is not an option because he has all that talent coming to KSU.

As a fairly neutral observer I think you could do a lot worse than Sadler.  He is not a "name" hire but MU got burned really badly when they tried the name hire with Quin.  Heath was even the flavor of the week to a certain degree.

Sadler is the type of coach that COULD really succeed at Nebraska where basketball tradition is nil and I am quite impressed with him.

mikeirwin

He's had one year in a major conference.
That will work against him.

pokerhog

Quote from: sechawgfan on March 18, 2007, 10:52:10 pm
I vote Calipari also..............  But DOC?   You have to be kidding!!!!!   Someone please tell me how you justify him as a canidate?  This program deserves a top knotch coach, hell he doesnt even make top 50.

Why would you want Calipari? The guy hates Arkansas. He doesn't think much of Arkansas basketball, he also said Arkansas wasn't good enough for him to retain the series with Memphis.

Space Man

Quote from: USCoastGuard on March 17, 2007, 11:27:20 pm
I just talked to my freind in Nebraska and he said it was almost a done deal that Doc Sadler was coming to arkansas. Is this true? How could we not know? he said it was all over the news! somebody please correct me if im wrong.

There are too many coaches who are better for Arkansas to settle for DOc. Arkansas might as well keep Stan Heath.  His resume does not hold a candle to that of Greg Marshall, Chris Lowery, Anthony Grant Licklighter, Lon Kruger, Reggie Theus, and this list can go on.  He had a good season at UTEP, but how long was he there?  What did that team do in the tournament.  I hope Arkansas wins regardless of the coach, but that would be a homer selection. 

Space Man

Quote from: hogfansince1964 on March 18, 2007, 12:27:01 pm
If Stan Heath is let go or leaves on his own, then I think when it is all said and done that Doc Sadler will be the next head basketball coach of the Hogs.

I just don't see the two big names being mentioned as being willing to take a chance on rebuilding the Arkansas program when they already have top notch programs where they are and are not hurting for money.

I agree that the two big names who are mentioned will not end up at Arkansas, but are they seriously considering Doc.  How many tournament wins does he have?  What success has he had at the major level?  Many mid major coaches have been rejected on this board who have won big games, but Doc gets a pass because he was the water boy or trainer at Arkansas. However, he has proved that he can handle the press by owning Mike Anderson, which would be a plus for Arkansas. 

Space Man

Quote from: malzhanista on March 18, 2007, 07:16:47 pm
I hear Doc is interviewing in fayetteville. Might have already happened.

What in the hell would make him a better candidate than a Greg Marshall, or Lon Kruger?

USCoastGuard

so doc sadler would not be a good hire cuz it would be another heath.
Come back over Gus!

malzhanista

I think the theory is that if he turned out to be a dud, he'd be another nutt. Homestate guy we can't get rid of.

football17

Doc Sadler is the featured speaker at the LR Tipoff Club today...

hoginsanfran

March 19, 2007, 11:37:53 am #89 Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:41:15 am by hoginsanfran
DO NOT HIRE THIS MAN!

I don't care about his Arkansas ties, or his being born in Greenwood.

We need a VETERAN up-tempo coach.  Not even Billy G just 'lets them play'.

(last 2 years of sadler teams... 0 times scored 90 points against a D-1 school... 0 times)

(last 3 years of sadler teams... 'rebuilding'... 0 NCAA wins, 1 NIT appearance)

No more PROJECTS!  No more UP-And-Comers!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Agree.
I simply don't know why people keep bringing his name up.  Sometimes I wonder if the fact that he has Arkansas ties is more important than his overall abilities.

You know that HDN has Ark ties as well.  Look where we are with that situation.  Apparently, ties can work against a fanbase/program as well.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogsanity

He is WORSe than Stan.  Doc's Huskers scored 39 TWICE this year.  Thats a game total.  39!!!!!!!!
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

football17

You all are clueless... totally clueless...

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: Question-Man on March 19, 2007, 11:42:33 am
Agree.
I simply don't know why people keep bringing his name up.  Sometimes I wonder if the fact that he has Arkansas ties is more important than his overall abilities.

You know that HDN has Ark ties as well.  Look where we are with that situation.  Apparently, ties can work against a fanbase/program as well.

Yeah, I know.  10 wins and SEC championship appearance and heisman runner-up.  HDN has just tore up the football program.  Just to think that being ranked in the top 10 to start the season next year is just embarrassing.

And, last I checked, we do not have an opening for basketball coach. I we wind up with one, though, Doc is a winner everywhere he has been.  He has only been at Nebraska for one year, so you can't knock him for it, yet.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

darth sooie

I don't think there is anyway stan can be fired and you hire doc right now. If stan is fired, they are gonna need to hire a "big name" or a black coach. Before they fire stan, they need to have that "big name" in the boat, so if stan isn't fired, its probably a result that the big name wasn't on board.

PowderedToastMan

FB will have an "ace-in-the-hole" before he fires stan.  If he doesn't have a quality coach willing to come, he won't get rid of stan.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: MuleriderFan on March 19, 2007, 11:53:18 am
Agree.

Yeah, I know.  10 wins and SEC championship appearance and heisman runner-up.  HDN has just tore up the football program.  Just to think that being ranked in the top 10 to start the season next year is just embarrassing.

And, last I checked, we do not have an opening for basketball coach. I we wind up with one, though, Doc is a winner everywhere he has been.  He has only been at Nebraska for one year, so you can't knock him for it, yet.

no thanks to sadler.
he would be our version of nutt boy only Sadler is probably not a low class SOB like nutt boy.
He is an arkansas boy who wins at a junior college level then does okay at a bad program.

Only sadler at least coaches in a big conference. Nutty boy coached freakin boise state when they sucked.

why does nutty boy keep getting credit for coaching a heisman candidate? Not even nutty boy could screw up mcfadden.

Thats like giving Doug COllins credit for coaching the greatest basketball player ever.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

March 19, 2007, 12:06:26 pm #97 Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:11:36 pm by Question-Man
Quote from: MuleriderFan on March 19, 2007, 11:53:18 am
Agree.

I'll leave the HDN stuff alone since I only brought that up as a comparison to hiring with Ark ties, but you chose to use it as a Hugger love-fest platform.  Where's the koolaid, brotha?

Regarding Doc, I am not saying he's a terrible coach, etc.
I do think that Ark b-ball deserves a coach that would rank in anyone's top 15 college coaches.  We were rated the 8th best program overall in SI, weren't we?  I wouldn't mind going with someone that was an "up and comer" if he'd already proven himself at some mid-major type of program and was young enough to still have room for growth and a long track record to come (Doc's age would prevent this).
Otherwise, I want someone who's truly established themselves.  (Doc hasn't done this yet either.)
Therefore, Doc doesn't really fit either of those categories for me.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Hollywood_HOGan

if we hire Sadler we might as well keep what we have in Coach Heath and keep all the players in place.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 19, 2007, 12:11:49 pm
if we hire Sadler we might as well keep what we have in Coach Heath and keep all the players in place.

But Hollywood he's got Arkansas ties.  I'm sure he would love that Hardwood, and that's all we can ask of a coach isn't it?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.