Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas vs Kansas?

Started by stillslimshady, March 17, 2007, 10:32:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stillslimshady

Kansas Fan here.  Apparently, there has been a lot of discussion here about Bill Self potentially being interested in the Arkansas job (which is laughable).  What is really surprising, is that it appears many Arkansas fans think the two programs are somewhat on par.  I'm not looking to start any trouble or get into a p!ssing contest, but would be interested in some rational, fact based opinions as t how the two programs stack up.

I'll start:

All Time Victories:  KU 1904 – AR 1450
Final Four appearances: KU 12 – AR 6
NCAA tournament Victories: KU 73 – AR 39  
Conference Championships: KU 50 – AR 24

From the USA Today:

The banner counters at UCLA won't like this.

Nor will the legions in the commonwealth of Kentucky who've sworn
by Adolph "Baron" Rupp, and Rick Pitino, too.

Complainers in Carolina blue, line up here. In royal Duke blue,
over there. Right next to those Hoosiers in the crimson sweaters.

We're here to identify college basketball's premier program--
not just for this season, but for all time.

We're taking everything from sustained excellence and impact to
game-day ambience to decorum into account -- and we're not stopping
at Westwood, Lexington or anywhere along Tobacco Road or Bloomington.

The call is: Kansas.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~esimpson/usatoday.html

On Allen Fieldhouse:

CHN Top 5 College Venues (KU 1 – AR N/A) - http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/OTHER/Arenas.htm
CHN Top 5 Loudest College Venues (KU 3 – AR 9) - http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/specials/arenas2.htm
CBSSportsline Top 10 (KU 3 – AR N/A) - http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,4165358,00.html
ESPN Experts - http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1974962

It seems obvious to me, and anyone with even a modicum of sense and rationality, that Kansas is the elite of the elite and that Arkansas is quite good, but certainly not even in the same stratosphere...........

Juicemeister

March 17, 2007, 10:35:31 pm #1 Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:39:05 pm by Juicemeister
I was about to smite, if not for the dumb screen name, but then I found myself agreeing with the post.

I believe we have the money to hire Self if we wanted to (because I know Self has factors other than money that he would use in deciding), but our program is in such a dumpster at the moment, that I think we're going to go after another mid-major one-hit wonder like we did five years ago.

Slim, stick around for a while. Some of the dreamers here need a swift kick in the nuts every once in a while.

PittsJay

Nice to have some rational thought around here.

MM-gohogs

what happened last night is unacceptable.
the razorbacks performance, unacceptable.
the buck stops at the coach. even though the players didn't get it done
BUT IF HEATH IS FIRED, or leaves, WHO ARE WE GOING TO GET TO REPLACE HIM?

bill self. no chance in hell of getting him. anyone who thinks we have a chance, you need to be committed. those statements are laughable.
same for gillseppie, we CAN NOT get him. as good as those teams are, not a shot.
we don't have a chance at getting a coach from a top 25 school.
i'd say with a probability of 98% we can't get a coach from a major conference whose team finished in the top 3 or 4 of that conference.
so who are we looking at? a coach from a mid-major. or baylor's head coach?

just some thoughts.
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

stillslimshady

Quote from: Juicemeister on March 17, 2007, 10:35:31 pm
I was about to smite, if not for the dumb screen name, but then I found myself agreeing with the post.

I believe we have the money to hire Self if we wanted to (because I know Self has factors other than money that he would use in deciding), but our program is in such a dumpster at the moment, that I think we're going to go after another mid-major one-hit wonder like we did five years ago.

Slim, stick around for a while. Some of the dreamers here need a swift kick in the nuts every once in a while.
I can't seen Kansas letting $$$ pull Self away, particularily after the way Roy left.  Honestly, I dn't see anything pulling Self away from Kansas.  Gillispie may be a very real option, although he is from Texas.  Arkansas is an excellent job, better than A&M by far.  I would think plenty of good coaches would be very interested.  I'm surprised guys like Lon Kruger and John Calipari haven't been mentioned more........

hawgdawg

while all those things make a good deal of sense.....ask yourself this...Who would you rather follow as  coach...Roy Williams or Stan Heath?
I also know for a fact that Bill Self LOVES Bud Walton Arena and northwest Arkansas in general
he really likes the overall athletic program and facilities at U of A
He is interested...does that mean he will take it IF it opens...no...maybe - maybe not.... but make no mistake, he will listen

Juicemeister

Kruger and Calipari are despised around here. And I can't figure out why. Many say that Calipari is "an NCAA investigation waiting to happen", but I believe half the people who say that don't know what they're talking about and are repeating opinions they've read elsewhere. I'd love to have him. He may be arrogant, but he wins games. Spurrier is arrogant, but I'd take him over Nutt any day of the year.

See, one faction of the fanbase here (and it breaks my heart to say "faction" when referring to Hog nation) have grown a massive inferiority complex, and don't believe we can get anyone better than an elementary school coach, even though our program is steeped in tradition. They've forgotten what it's like to win.

The other major faction doesn't want anyone except for the poster child. I call these the "short-listers", since they don't want anyone but the best. This is admirable, but these people will throw a fit if we don't get either Self or Gillispie. Again, admirable, but we've got to have third options in case we can't get the aforementioned two.

You've got to excuse us, Slim. Our program is in shambles at the moment, and our fanbase is following suit.

football17

Hey Slim, might wanna get your facts straight. The talk of Self possibly interested in Arkansas in no way was because some thought Arkansas was a better program... not at all.. that has never been said by anyone with any sense...

The only thing ever said was that some believe Self is unhappy at Kansas and has always loved the Arkansas program and Bud Walton Arena. That's why this has been brought up.  I have reason to believe that he would listen if the job came open, though. Whether he'd make the move is another story...

Olive Branch Hog

Living here in Memphis, I am somewhat puzzled by we Arkansas fans displeasure when the name Calipari comes up.  He is one of the top 5 recruiters in the country.  He has been a good representative for Tiger High since he has been here.   There aren't any rumors or hints of NCAA violations since he has been here.

I don't get the animosity towards him.

Anon2

Brand X Hog Fan

March 17, 2007, 11:11:09 pm #10 Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 11:12:50 pm by Seahawk4ever
Quote from: Juicemeister on March 17, 2007, 10:54:22 pm
Kruger and Calipari are despised around here. And I can't figure out why. Many say that Calipari is "an NCAA investigation waiting to happen", but I believe half the people who say that don't know what they're talking about and are repeating opinions they've read elsewhere. I'd love to have him. He may be arrogant, but he wins games. Spurrier is arrogant, but I'd take him over Nutt any day of the year.

See, one faction of the fanbase here (and it breaks my heart to say "faction" when referring to Hog nation) have grown a massive inferiority complex, and don't believe we can get anyone better than an elementary school coach, even though our program is steeped in tradition. They've forgotten what it's like to win.

The other major faction doesn't want anyone except for the poster child. I call these the "short-listers", since they don't want anyone but the best. This is admirable, but these people will throw a fit if we don't get either Self or Gillispie. Again, admirable, but we've got to have third options in case we can't get the aforementioned two.

You've got to excuse us, Slim. Our program is in shambles at the moment, and our fanbase is following suit.

Juice, we don't have to settle for Calipari either. Kruger? We owned him. Why not Rob Barnes? Those two are proven commodities, proven mediocre. I'd rather take my chances with another up and comer from a mid major. Lets see . . . two examples of successful transitions would be Billy Donovan and Gillespi. What about Mark Few? He's still at a mid major and only goes to the dance every year!

I think it is imperative that we hire a leader with the burning desire to win. I personally would give the right person 3 years to prove himself. He will have the tools in place next year and at least seven slots to recruit his own players to build a foundation for his own philosophy. Its an ideal situation.

My final question is this. Do we have anyone in power at the U of A who could pick a thoroughbred out of a herd of pack mules? Exactly who will do the hiring? That is the scariest part for me.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Juicemeister

Quote from: Anon2 on March 17, 2007, 11:06:18 pm
Speak for yourself, juice.

I am speaking for myself.

I attempted to find out what stance you've taken, but I can't find anything but one-line posts in your recent post history. What is your stance? What in my posts did you find so offensive? Our football and basketball programs is in the toilet at the moment. If you don't think so, then your head is buried.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Olive Branch Hog on March 17, 2007, 11:02:13 pm
Living here in Memphis, I am somewhat puzzled by we Arkansas fans displeasure when the name Calipari comes up.  He is one of the top 5 recruiters in the country.  He has been a good representative for Tiger High since he has been here.   There aren't any rumors or hints of NCAA violations since he has been here.

He hates Arkansas... it's not an option, so we don't talk about it
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

thehogwallower

Quote from: stillslimshady on March 17, 2007, 10:32:30 pm
Kansas Fan here.  Apparently, there has been a lot of discussion here about Bill Self potentially being interested in the Arkansas job (which is laughable).  What is really surprising, is that it appears many Arkansas fans think the two programs are somewhat on par.  I'm not looking to start any trouble or get into a p!ssing contest, but would be interested in some rational, fact based opinions as t how the two programs stack up.

I'll start:

All Time Victories:  KU 1904 – AR 1450

From the USA Today:

On Allen Fieldhouse:

CHN Top 5 College Venues (KU 1 – AR N/A) - http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/OTHER/Arenas.htm
CHN Top 5 Loudest College Venues (KU 3 – AR 9) - http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/specials/arenas2.htm
CBSSportsline Top 10 (KU 3 – AR N/A) - http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,4165358,00.html

It seems obvious to me, and anyone with even a modicum of sense and rationality, that Kansas is the elite of the elite and that Arkansas is quite good, but certainly not even in the same stratosphere...........

the top five college venues was made up by an old timer and only list venues that have been there 50+ years.. Arkansas may not make it onto a place to go watch cause well we only have about 10 or so people going to the games anyway.

id like to see kansas be louder than a packed house of 20,000 at budwalton...

i bet he wants to get out just because of the chant "suck cock jayhawk"  (cock as in the chicken of course) lol ;p

maybe thats over the top, sorry

DaniHog

Word is Bill Self is unhappy at KU and wants to get closer to his Tulsa home.  He has always loved Bud Walton Arena.  Coach Heath has to leave before any of this becomes an issue.  If he does leave, there is not guarantee that Self will come here.  But I think there is a better chance than KU fans might think.  The Vandy coach (Stallings, former KU assistant) would be a top candidate for KU job if Self came here. 

No_nuts

The difference is that
Arkansas is in the SEC
Kansas is in B-12.

No Question SEC is the better conference to
be in.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on March 17, 2007, 11:13:28 pm
Living here in Memphis, I am somewhat puzzled by we Arkansas fans displeasure when the name Calipari comes up.  He is one of the top 5 recruiters in the country.  He has been a good representative for Tiger High since he has been here.   There aren't any rumors or hints of NCAA violations since he has been here.

Poor sportmanship against Arkansas when he was at UMass, can't remember the specifics. Did see him shove an Arkansas player (Pookie Modica I think) that was falling into the Tiger High bench rather than try to cushion his fall. I don't need that kind of coach at my university. We already have one embarrassment to deal with. Don;t need any chair throwing Bobby Knight either, though I am a fan of his.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Pigonometry

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on March 18, 2007, 12:04:11 am

Poor sportmanship against Arkansas when he was at UMass, can't remember the specifics. Did see him shove an Arkansas player (Pookie Modica I think) that was falling into the Tiger High bench rather than try to cushion his fall. I don't need that kind of coach at my university. We already have one embarrassment to deal with. Don;t need any chair throwing Bobby Knight either, though I am a fan of his.

It was J.J. Sullinger who got pushed by the Memphis coach.  I was there to see it........
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

oldtimerhog

Living here in Memphis, I am somewhat puzzled by we Arkansas fans displeasure when the name Calipari comes up.  He is one of the top 5 recruiters in the country.  He has been a good representative for Tiger High since he has been here.   There aren't any rumors or hints of NCAA violations since he has been here.

He is a jerk and has insulted our program in the past.  Stated that he was not renewing the series with Arkansas three years ago because we were not the level of program to help Memphis get to the NCAA Tournament.  This was right after we defeated them in BWA.  Go figure.  He is an arrogant jerk!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

oldtimerhog

Last NC:

AR 1994 (top ranked most of the year and favored in the final over Duke)
KS 1988 (huge underdog to Oklahoma)

Get over yourselves KS, allen fieldhouse doesn't hold a candle to a packed BWA.  Ask Norm Stewart.  We beat Missouri by 52 points in 1993 and they went on to the Elite 8 that year.  We also thumped Kansas in 1988 with Larry Brown and Danny Manning in Barnhill Arena.  Really, get over yourselves.  If you got out more you would know that KU is not all that!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: Pigonometry on March 18, 2007, 12:07:06 am
Quote from: Seahawk4ever on March 18, 2007, 12:04:11 am

It was J.J. Sullinger who got pushed by the Memphis coach.  I was there to see it........

Thanks for clearing that up.

Darren DeLoach

the jayhawks of antiquity were very impressive (phogg allen era). the jayhawks then spent 25 years beating up on the hapless big 8. (funny, not until the okies picked up the pace did you guys finally win one) the r. williams years were full of impressive recruiting classes and win totals but you guys were putrid during the ncaa's (it did help playing big 8 & 12 tourney at home). you are now beginning to show prominence again and a real threat to win tourney. ( funny, it took texas and a&m to pull it out you this time)---in summary great in conference team not so great against nations elite.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

RazorBassin

"SMACK"  Thats the sound of reality crashing over my head, OUCH!

whynot

Quote from: oldtimerhog on March 18, 2007, 12:20:58 am

Last NC:

Get over yourselves KS, allen fieldhouse doesn't hold a candle to a packed BWA.  Ask Norm Stewart.  We beat Missouri by 52 points in 1993 and they went on to the Elite 8 that year.  We also thumped Kansas in 1988 with Larry Brown and Danny Manning in Barnhill Arena.  Really, get over yourselves.  If you got out more you would know that KU is not all that!

Last NC:

This is cute, but it's important that you get over yourself.  No one, accept ARK alums, considers the Hogs a top tier program.  The Phog will always be a hallowed ground, while BWA will not mean darn to most basketball fans.  You're a second tier SEC program and always will be.  Accept it and move on.  Every once and awhile you will be decent, embrace it but don't get a swelled head, all in all you are nothing special, and you know it.  BTW, you wish you held a candle to the mighty FLA GATORS!!!

pokerhog

Quote from: whynot on March 18, 2007, 02:56:49 am

Last NC:

Last NC:

This is cute, but it's important that you get over yourself.  No one, accept ARK alums, considers the Hogs a top tier program.  The Phog will always be a hallowed ground, while BWA will not mean crap to most basketball fans.  You're a second tier SEC program and always will be.  Accept it and move on.  Every once and awhile you will be decent, embrace it but don't get a swelled head, all in all you are nothing special, and you know it.  BTW, you wish you held a candle to the mighty FLA GATORS!!!

You're an idiot if you really think that. Only Ark alums? How about Street and Smiths? They rank us as the #8 basektball program of all time. We're certainly ranked ahead of the FLA Gators. What are you like 10 years old or something? This has to be one of the most idiotic posts I've ever seen. We're traditionally one of the best basketball schools in the country.

whynot

This is all you have to hold on to, some ranking from some random magazine.  Are you serious!!!!  It's not enough, you all know it. Go get the mid major phenom award you deserve and continue to to be the best mediocre program in the country.  Street and Smith can create a special award just for you, the NOT QUITE award, going to the team the comes closest to beating FLA every year.

arklahoman36

Quote from: DaniHog on March 17, 2007, 11:27:45 pm
Word is Bill Self is unhappy at KU and wants to get closer to his Tulsa home.  He has always loved Bud Walton Arena.  Coach Heath has to leave before any of this becomes an issue.  If he does leave, there is not guarantee that Self will come here.  But I think there is a better chance than KU fans might think.  The Vandy coach (Stallings, former KU assistant) would be a top candidate for KU job if Self came here. 

Where does this word that Self is unhappy at KU come from?

hawgsav1

Ok, that idiot from Kansas who thinks that we're delusional in saying that we have a great history needs to learn to read. Granted Kansas has more hallowed history but anyone who has any sense on their own can see that Bud Walton would rip Allen Fieldhouse a new one when it comes to loudness and rabidness of the fans and size of the stadium. No Kansas fan I have ever met even approaches the level of fanaticism of the average Hog fan.  But we have to face it we're not going to get Self. We should get someone else who has a chance to rebuild our program.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

BornHog

3kgthog

I'll spell it out for you Kansas folks. If Mrs. Self wants to come here then Mr. Self will follow regardless of how much more or how much less he'd make.

Having said that, I can't see our power brokers even having the guts to go after a name coach. They have a defeatist mentality that was publically demonstrated by JFB's claims of us only being 8th or 9th in potential. They'd rather save a buck by going after a mid-major coach with little experience. What they fail to realize is that forking out the cash for a big time coach would create instant rewards in new and re-newed season ticket sales, better publicity, etc. But I guess paying $800,000 for a coach and having 12,000 folks in the stands for every game is ok nowadays.

stillslimshady

I think I must have confused some of you when I asked for facts.

QuoteWord is Bill Self is unhappy at KU and wants to get closer to his Tulsa home.

He's not from Tulsa and he's certainly not unhappy at Kansas.

QuoteThe difference is that
Arkansas is in the SEC
Kansas is in B-12.

be in.

If we were talking about college football I might agree, but for basketball this is a joke.  KU will be 3-0 vs. the SEC after today's game.  Didn't Arkansas go 0-4 against the Big 12 this season?  Didn't Missouri beat you by 20+ in Columbia?

QuoteIf you got out more you would know that KU is not all that

I linked the USA today article.  Go ahead and link something that has KU out of the top ten, even top 5, of college bball history would you?

Quotethe r. williams years were full of impressive recruiting classes and win totals but you guys were putrid during the ncaa's

Wow, either you are remarkably clueless or you think the whole of Arkansas basketball history in the NCAA's is 'putrid.  In Roy's 15 years Kansas played in 4 final fours and 2 national championship games.  In 15 years.  I believe Arkansas has played in 6 final 4's and 2 nc games all time.

Frank and Swine

Quote from: stillslimshady on March 18, 2007, 07:23:12 am
I think I must have confused some of you when I asked for facts.

QuoteWord is Bill Self is unhappy at KU and wants to get closer to his Tulsa home.

He's not from Tulsa and he's certainly not unhappy at Kansas.

QuoteThe difference is that
Arkansas is in the SEC
Kansas is in B-12.

be in.

If we were talking about college football I might agree, but for basketball this is a joke.  KU will be 3-0 vs. the SEC after today's game.  Didn't Arkansas go 0-4 against the Big 12 this season?  Didn't Missouri beat you by 20+ in Columbia?

QuoteIf you got out more you would know that KU is not all that

I linked the USA today article.  Go ahead and link something that has KU out of the top ten, even top 5, of college bball history would you?

Quotethe r. williams years were full of impressive recruiting classes and win totals but you guys were putrid during the ncaa's

Wow, either you are remarkably clueless or you think the whole of Arkansas basketball history in the NCAA's is 'putrid.  In Roy's 15 years Kansas played in 4 final fours and 2 national championship games.  In 15 years.  I believe Arkansas has played in 6 final 4's and 2 nc games all time.

It's hard to argue with any of that.  We like to think we are rich in BB tradition due to the success of Nolan's early years.  Eddie Sutton won a lot of ball games, but overall he was just a good coach, not a great coach.  Coaching is what builds a program and KU has had several great coaches.  Florida was a FB team only until Donovan got there.  Duke was nothing special until coach K and the same could be said with UNC and coach Smith.  As long as UA continues it's experiment with up and coming coaches, we will remain a struggling program IMO.  If we are going to hire a mid-major coach, we might as well keep what we have until a proven winning coach from a tier one school is possible to get.

inhognation

I have asked on here for weeks , Why would Self or Gillespie come here right now.  Our program has potential, has been up there in the past but is not there right now.  Kansas or TAMU can pay a coach just as much as we can , and we have a lame duck AD.  Not to mention all the recent negative PR surrounding the football team and the AD resigning.  I think we need to be looking for the best coach we can find...  i am not saying we shouldn't go after these coaches..  I am just not seeing why alot of you think they would want to come here

And for those who say Bill Self is unhappy at Kansas, do you speak to him on a regular basis , or is this information from somebody you know who knows somebody that know Bill Self?

shake2005

Quote from: DaniHog on March 17, 2007, 11:27:45 pm

Bill Self is NOT from Tulsa, He's from OKC (Edmond)

Torqued pork

Why do Kansas fans automatically assume when we mention Self as a candidate for the UA job, we are saying our bb program is better than theirs. Don't get me wrong, I think the oppurtunity to hire Self has come and gone, but is it out of the realm of possibility that Self may not be as deliriously happy there as one might think?

shake2005

It's an insult to even say they are "lateral", it's stupid think that's even close to true.

Hog fans have been all over the place about wanting Self, to the point he even spoke against the talk

HOG71

This is one of several postings by Kansas fan(s)........if they weren't worried about Self leaving, they would be on the Kansas board, not on here trying to convince us that Self won't leave. 

Oh yeah Slim, in your list you forgot to do a comparison of Kansas v Arkansas in NC championships, the only stat that matters.  I am not sure of the numbers.  Maybe you could do some research and revise your post.

HOG71

Let me help you out.

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/history

Looks like Kansas is right in the "cellar" with Arkansas. 

Kansas 2.....over 30 years between.....last NC, 36 years ago.

Ark 1.....13 years ago.

Kansas is so much more of a top program than Arkansas

shake2005

You are being made fun of, if you don't like it, don't act like idiots.

stillslimshady

Quote from: HOG71 on March 18, 2007, 09:17:06 am
Let me help you out.

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/history

Looks like Kansas is right in the "cellar" with Arkansas. 

Kansas 2.....over 30 years between.....last NC, 36 years ago.

Ark 1.....13 years ago.

Kansas is so much more of a top program than Arkansas
Kansas actually has 4, 2 that predate the NCAA tourney.  Still twice as many ncaa champioships as Ak, just like twice as many final fours..............

stillslimshady

Quote from: HOG71 on March 18, 2007, 09:04:01 am
This is one of several postings by Kansas fan(s)........if they weren't worried about Self leaving, they would be on the Kansas board, not on here trying to convince us that Self won't leave. 

Did you even read my post?  I didn't say anything to refute the idea that Self might leave.  I have a better chance of banging Beyonce than Arkansas, or anywhere else fro that matter, has of luring Self from Kansas.

phoggy

Quote from: stillslimshady on March 18, 2007, 10:03:47 am

Did you even read my post?  I didn't say anything to refute the idea that Self might leave.  I have a better chance of banging Beyonce than Arkansas, or anywhere else fro that matter, has of luring Self from Kansas.

Kinda what was said about Roy wasn't it?
Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

PittsJay

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 18, 2007, 05:35:44 am
Ok, that idiot from Kansas who thinks that we're delusional in saying that we have a great history needs to learn to read. Granted Kansas has more hallowed history but anyone who has any sense on their own can see that Bud Walton would rip Allen Fieldhouse a new one when it comes to loudness and rabidness of the fans and size of the stadium. No Kansas fan I have ever met even approaches the level of fanaticism of the average Hog fan.  But we have to face it we're not going to get Self. We should get someone else who has a chance to rebuild our program.

Have you ever been to a packed house game at Allen Fieldhouse?

stillslimshady

Quote from: phoggy on March 18, 2007, 10:47:51 am
Quote from: stillslimshady on March 18, 2007, 10:03:47 am

Kinda what was said about Roy wasn't it?

Not at all

Smithian

Kansas is so unGodly amazing. I can't believe Roy Williams left. Wow.

And, I mean, Arkansas is so terrible. Dickey Nutt wouldn't even come here.

pigmania

Kansas Fan here.  Apparently, there has been a lot of discussion here about Bill Self potentially being interested in the Arkansas job (which is laughable).  What is really surprising, is that it appears many Arkansas fans think the two programs are somewhat on par.  I’m not looking to start any trouble or get into a p!ssing contest, but would be interested in some rational, fact based opinions as t how the two programs stack up.

I’ll start:

From the USA Today:

On Allen Fieldhouse:

It seems obvious to me, and anyone with even a modicum of sense and rationality, that Kansas is the elite of the elite and that Arkansas is quite good, but certainly not even in the same stratosphere………..

Arkansas would have 50 conference championships is they were in a weaker conference than the SEC.

stillslimshady

QuoteArkansas would have 50 conference championships is they were in a weaker conference than the SEC.
Really?  How would Arkansas hvae won 25 titles in 11 years?  Or did you not know that Arkansas was in the souhwest conference before it went belly up?  Also, the big 12 has been FAR superior fo the SEC since 1996 (which is when the SWC was folded into the two, since you seem to be unaware of that).

Again, KU is about to be 3-0 vs the SEC this year and Arkansas was what 0-4 against the Big 12?  Get up off the floor, you look ridiculous...........

hogfan2000

Kansas Fan here.  Apparently, there has been a lot of discussion here about Bill Self potentially being interested in the Arkansas job (which is laughable).  What is really surprising, is that it appears many Arkansas fans think the two programs are somewhat on par.  I’m not looking to start any trouble or get into a p!ssing contest, but would be interested in some rational, fact based opinions as t how the two programs stack up.

I’ll start:

From the USA Today:

On Allen Fieldhouse:

It seems obvious to me, and anyone with even a modicum of sense and rationality, that Kansas is the elite of the elite and that Arkansas is quite good, but certainly not even in the same stratosphere………..

how many nationalchampionships have ya'll won the last 20 years?

stillslimshady

March 18, 2007, 02:00:03 pm #48 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 02:53:40 pm by stillslimshady
Quotehow many nationalchampionships have ya'll won the last 20 years?
The same amount ya'll have won in your entire history.  Great point.

Fayetnam

I'll start here! Fog Allen Field House is a dump and smelled like PISS when I went into it. SKANK HOLE! Build a nicer arena and we wouldn't be having this conversation!!!!!