Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You can forget both Gillespie and Self coming to Arkansas!

Started by RockyMtnHog, March 17, 2007, 05:30:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hostile_Aggie on March 18, 2007, 11:26:04 am
Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 05:39:31 pm
Quote from: pigmania on March 17, 2007, 05:37:39 pm
Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 05:31:55 pm
Not about the money.  We have plenty of money to pay as well.
I agree, I think we can out bid A&M or Kansas. There may be other factors keeping them where they are.

Actually there are other factors causing BG to have keen interest.

Lying is a very unbecoming characteristic

So is logging onto the message board of an opposing team's fans and immediately calling a moderator a liar.

vol_in_ar

Hostile_Aggie

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2007, 11:30:46 am
I agree, I think we can out bid A&M or Kansas. There may be other factors keeping them where they are.

So is logging onto the message board of an opposing team's fans and immediately calling a moderator a liar.

Sorry, I'm involved in the athletic program at A&M, talk to Gillispie and the Aggie athletic staff on a routine basis, and can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are nop such "factors" causing Gillispie to have a hightened interest in Arkansas or any other basketball program at this time.

He is lying. There is nothing else to call it.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hostile_Aggie on March 18, 2007, 11:42:38 am

Sorry, I'm involved in the athletic program at A&M, talk to Gillispie and the Aggie athletic staff on a routine basis, and can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are nop such "factors" causing Gillispie to have a hightened interest in Arkansas or any other basketball program at this time.

You can save yourself a banning by removing your last paragraph.

Or you can leave on your own.

Hostile_Aggie

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2007, 11:45:50 am

If he wants to ban me for stating a fact, so be it.

vol_in_ar

Hostile_Aggie

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 11:48:14 am
how about the other "factors" get posted

They won't, there are none. He is HOPING there are, and hope is a good thing.

Blind, false hope, however, is not, and there's no reason to make up stories just to try and legitimize said hope

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hostile_Aggie on March 18, 2007, 11:47:20 am

Never say I didn't give you what you asked for.

NuttinItUp

Unfortunately, Gillispie is ungettable at this point.

vol_in_ar

weresoclose

March 18, 2007, 12:20:57 pm #60 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:27:34 pm by weresoclose
Quote from: hawaiianhogster on March 18, 2007, 12:13:25 am
Nobody wants to come to a place that is having to much negative national attention.

^^^^^  This is the dude that wishes the University of Arkansas to be "brought to their knees" from a lawsuit if they fire Stan Heath.  He's blackballed to me.

weresoclose

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2007, 11:56:09 am

Wow Wilson!!!

Why would you ban someone for calling you out?  I am also curious to know the "other factors."  Does that make me ban-worthy?

For the record, I hope there are "other factors."  But I haven't heard anything other than speculation that Billy MAY think we're more committed to winning than aTm.

WilsonHog

Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2007, 12:26:37 pm

Wow Wilson!!!

Why would you ban someone for calling you out?  I am also curious to know the "other factors."  Does that make me ban-worthy?

For the record, I hope there are "other factors."  But I haven't heard anything other than speculation that Billy MAY think we're more committed to winning than aTm.

Try to keep up here.

I didn't ban the guy for calling me out, nor did I ban him for his sentiment that Gillespie wasn't going anywhere.

I banned him for calling opineonswine a liar and then refusing to back up on it. 

vol_in_ar

pigture perfect

I disagree. Kansas is an all basketball school with a greater tradition than everybody but UKen and UNC. And Outbidding against aTm is a stretch as well. Those prideful Aggies think they are equal to UT so they will not let little ole Arkansas outbid them.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hoggy Bear

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2007, 12:31:31 pm

Wow Wilson!!!

Try to keep up here.

I didn't ban the guy for calling me out, nor did I ban him for his sentiment that Gillespie wasn't going anywhere.

I banned him for calling opineonswine a liar and then refusing to back up on it. 

Well technically, opine hasn't stated any facts either, just speculation.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on March 18, 2007, 12:37:27 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2007, 12:31:31 pm

Wow Wilson!!!

Try to keep up here.

Well technically, opine hasn't stated any facts either, just speculation.

You missed the point as well.

He was banned for calling opine a liar.

There is a difference between saying, "I don't agree with your opinion, and this is why......" and saying, "You are a liar."

The first is fine. The second will get you banned if I am around, and anyone who doesn't like it can pee up a rope.     

Hong Kong Sooey

I like the way he went from being an "interested fan" to "involved in the athletic program" in less than a page of posting.  Quite a feat at that time of night...

weresoclose

Well apologies since I clearly overread something. 

Seriously, though, I have reservations about the sincerity of BG's desire to take the job.

And I also have reservations about him because I long for a fast-paced style of BB and aTm doesn't represent that to the extent I would like to see.

Anyone thought of Creighton's coach?  40 min of Hell, AND a motion offense.  Full court game with the ability to play half court ball.

iooiooi

Please explain the other "factors" involved.

That he is from Texas? That his mom and sister drive to every game? That A&M is building a $22mil basketball practice facility/offices because he asked? That A&M is expanding their arena capacity another 1000+ because he asked? That he just signed a Rivals 5-star recruit?

This just doesn't add up to me. A&M, Kansas, USC aren't mid-majors. They are all large universities that one can't simply outbid. You have to offer a coach who wins there more than just money. Counteroffers would be made by their respective universities and money will ultimately be a wash.

It comes down to winning and money for any good coach. And not a single one of those 3 coaches need Arkansas, as great a job as it is, to win at the highest level. I've read multiple times that you can't win at A&M. What exactly do you call what they are doing now? They are 2 wins from a Final Four. USC has OJ Mayo coming in. OJ, despite his off court issues, will put up Durant like offensive numbers next year and USC will be a top 10 team. KU has 6 McD AA's coming back, and very well could win the National Championship this year.

The other "factors" will have to be very compelling for Arkansas to hire a single one of those 3 coaches.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2007, 01:06:29 pm

Seriously, though, I have reservations about the sincerity of BG's desire to take the job.

And I also have reservations about him because I long for a fast-paced style of BB and aTm doesn't represent that to the extent I would like to see.

Anyone thought of Creighton's coach?  40 min of Hell, AND a motion offense.  Full court game with the ability to play half court ball.
sounds like your looking for mike anderson

weresoclose

Of course, any reservations ANYONE might have about a coach would automatically disappear if we were to be in a postion wondering if we were gonna get a #1 seed or a #2.  

If BG brings that to our table, I'll love it!  The odds he could seem good.  

I can't wait till we're back up again.

GO HOGS

weresoclose

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 01:54:38 pm
Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2007, 01:06:29 pm

sounds like your looking for mike anderson

More like Roy Williams.  Where you can play half court when needed, but you run the crap out of the opponant, constantly pushing it, pushing the ball up the court.

curiousdemo

Why do you have to get personal, when this guy is stating the truth! You can't handle the truth!!
Quote from: So Cal Hog on March 18, 2007, 03:57:32 am
Nobody wants to come to a place that is having to much negative national attention.

You are an idiot.

WilsonHog

Quote from: curiousdemo on March 18, 2007, 02:04:43 pm
Why do you have to get personal, when this guy is stating the truth! You can't handle the truth!!
Quote from: So Cal Hog on March 18, 2007, 03:57:32 am

You are an idiot.

Truth?

Fine. I'm an attorney.

In order for me to consider something the "truth," it has to be proven. I suggest affidavits from those coaches who have turned us down.

How soon can we expect those from you?

weresoclose

It's insane to think you could prove any of the Chicken Littling that the Huggers use, but many people stop right there and say it's just so.  They say it's just so because they feel a certain way in their heart.  No truth.  Just feeling. 

Then again, just playing Devil's Advocate, since the attorneys in my family love to do this, HeathHuggers might argue this:  Many people think it's the truth that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead and ascended into Heaven.  Can that be proven?  (answer: no, and it's absurd to think there would be good evidence to support it, but that doesn't stop our country from protecting people's right to believe and express the notion that they "know" it's "true")

Maybe that's a touchy example, but I did just get back from church, so maybe I won't get struck by lightning just quite yet ;)

jbcarol

Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2007, 02:18:20 pm
It's insane to think you could prove any of the Chicken Littling that the Huggers use, but many people stop right there and say it's just so.  They say it's just so because they feel a certain way in their heart.  No truth.  Just feeling. 

Then again, just playing Devil's Advocate, since the attorneys in my family love to do this, HeathHuggers might argue this:  Many people think it's the truth that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead and ascended into Heaven.  Can that be proven?  (answer: no, and it's absurd to think there would be good evidence to support it, but that doesn't stop our country from protecting people's right to believe and express the notion that they "know" it's "true")

Maybe that's a touchy example, but I did just get back from church, so maybe I won't get struck by lightning just quite yet ;)

I think this makes sense if you don't equate "prove" (implies scientific method or mathematical proof) with "good evidence to support it".  A good attorney will tell you, you can't prove anything about an incident that happened in the past in a court of law.  But you can provide good evidence to support a position and ask folks to make a reasoned conclusion based on, let's call it "Evidence That Demands a Verdict".

That made me think about positions taken in the football controversy.  I had sufficient evidence and personally made a conclusion.  Apparently, lots of folks in national media saw it that way when they flip-flopped.  They were making a preconceived notion based on what felt right rather than allow evidence which could not be proven to shed a different light on the matters at hand. 

By the way counselor, I think we are in agreement (about the football part).  :)
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

coach, my back hurts

Why did Michigan not wait until after the tournament to fire their coach?

If you can answer that then you probably have an understanding of just how commited our athletic program is to getting a new coach. 

I would be just as suprised if Heath is back next yr as knowing the sun will come up tomorrow.

Can anyone give me 1(one) reason why Heath isnt fired yet?

If he is not the man for job, then why wait?  Michigan didnt.

wacohog

Quote from: iooiooi on March 18, 2007, 01:51:50 pm
Please explain the other "factors" involved.

That he is from Texas? That his mom and sister drive to every game? That A&M is building a $22mil basketball practice facility/offices because he asked? That A&M is expanding their arena capacity another 1000+ because he asked? That he just signed a Rivals 5-star recruit?

This just doesn't add up to me. A&M, Kansas, USC aren't mid-majors. They are all large universities that one can't simply outbid. You have to offer a coach who wins there more than just money. Counteroffers would be made by their respective universities and money will ultimately be a wash.

It comes down to winning and money for any good coach. And not a single one of those 3 coaches need Arkansas, as great a job as it is, to win at the highest level. I've read multiple times that you can't win at A&M. What exactly do you call what they are doing now? They are 2 wins from a Final Four. USC has OJ Mayo coming in. OJ, despite his off court issues, will put up Durant like offensive numbers next year and USC will be a top 10 team. KU has 6 McD AA's coming back, and very well could win the National Championship this year.

The other "factors" will have to be very compelling for Arkansas to hire a single one of those 3 coaches.

even with the upgrades,  Tamu's facilities are not as nice as ours.  Tamu is the #2 university in Texas;  always has been,  always will be.  BKB is a distant second behind FB in terms of support from the fans.  So,  he can coach the #2 sport at the #2 university,  or he can go somewhere else.

YOu are correct on one thing: it won't be the money that makes him leave,  it will be other "factors."  And if it isn't us that get him,  it will be somebody else soon enough.

NO coach grows up hoping to coach the Texas Aggies in BKB.  It is not a top-tier BKB (or FB) program.

vol_in_ar

wacohog

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 03:15:39 pm
Tm's, still playing

one or two yrs does not a top-tier program make....which is kind of my point

vol_in_ar

WilsonHog

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 03:22:09 pm
how long ago was 94 and 95 for Arkansas

A significant number of years fewer that the Bernie and Ernie show was for Tennessee.

vol_in_ar

WilsonHog

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 04:08:55 pm
Tennessee is still playing as well

Sure they are.

With a lapse of about 30 years in between.

vol_in_ar

Actually they were in the sweet 16, in 2000 and lost too North Carolina..

The real question is who are you getting besides Gillespie, or Self?

RockyMtnHog

When I started this thread, I had no idea it would get hijacked with all of this other stuff added.  All I stated was that I do not believe that Arkansas will get either Gllespie or Self.  I may be so far out in left field that I am at the warning track, but I don't think so.  Why would either coach leave a program they are building and becoming powerhouses to jump into a Hornet's Nest at Arkansas?   Yes, we all loved our Glory Years and HogBall.  But we have lost a lot of prestige over the past years since the 94-95 team.  Since then we really haven't done anything in the NCAAT.  The announcers stated the other night that it has been over 7 years since the Hogs last advanced past the 1st Round.  Now isn't that pathetic.  There was once a time when Arkansas was the most feared team in College Basketball.  Not anymore!  No one wanted to play us at all.  Not anymore!  We need to get the fear back.  But I don't have the answer.

Maybe some of you insiders do so I will leave it at that.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

WilsonHog

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 04:26:38 pm

Bruce Pearl.

hoggystyle78

No doubt Wilson, Pearl would leave UT in a heartbeat for Arkansas. Tenn. has never been anything more than a pimple on the a$$ of NCAA BB.
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2007, 04:33:25 pm
Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 04:26:38 pm

Bruce Pearl.

iooiooi

Quoteeven with the upgrades,  Tamu's facilities are not as nice as ours.  Tamu is the #2 university in Texas;  always has been,  always will be.  BKB is a distant second behind FB in terms of support from the fans.  So,  he can coach the #2 sport at the #2 university,  or he can go somewhere else.

YOu are correct on one thing: it won't be the money that makes him leave,  it will be other "factors."  And if it isn't us that get him,  it will be somebody else soon enough.
But
NO coach grows up hoping to coach the Texas Aggies in BKB.  It is not a top-tier BKB (or FB) program.

TAMU has a putrid basketball history, but isn't this a chicken/egg argument? A&M is not a top-tier destination because they have never won before. But if Gillispie stays they will win. In which case they wouldn't play second fiddle nor would they lack support. In which case it would be a top-tier destination. Same can be said of Floyd at USC.

Coaches care about winning at the highest level and getting paid. Gillispie, Floyd, Self can win at the highest level at their respective programs. The current NCAA tournament bears this fact out. I contend that their respective programs will not let dollars stand in the way of winning and would match any suitors offer. So if a coach can win at the highest level and get paid appropriately, what other "factor" is going to cause them to change positions?

This is what I am curious to know.

Mid-major coaches are quite easy for a major conference program to hire. It's a jump in pay and a chance to win at the highest level. But it is far more rare for a major program to hire a great coach at another major. I would certainly ask all 3 of those fine coaches after the season ends, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I would also have a back up plan.

wacohog

Quote from: iooiooi on March 18, 2007, 06:25:48 pm
Quoteeven with the upgrades,  Tamu's facilities are not as nice as ours.  Tamu is the #2 university in Texas;  always has been,  always will be.  BKB is a distant second behind FB in terms of support from the fans.  So,  he can coach the #2 sport at the #2 university,  or he can go somewhere else.

But

TAMU has a putrid basketball history, but isn't this a chicken/egg argument? A&M is not a top-tier destination because they have never won before. But if Gillispie stays they will win. In which case they wouldn't play second fiddle nor would they lack support. In which case it would be a top-tier destination. Same can be said of Floyd at USC.

Coaches care about winning at the highest level and getting paid. Gillispie, Floyd, Self can win at the highest level at their respective programs. The current NCAA tournament bears this fact out. I contend that their respective programs will not let dollars stand in the way of winning and would match any suitors offer. So if a coach can win at the highest level and get paid appropriately, what other "factor" is going to cause them to change positions?

This is what I am curious to know.

Mid-major coaches are quite easy for a major conference program to hire. It's a jump in pay and a chance to win at the highest level. But it is far more rare for a major program to hire a great coach at another major. I would certainly ask all 3 of those fine coaches after the season ends, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I would also have a back up plan.

i don't disagree with any of this

wacohog

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 03:22:09 pm
how long ago was 94 and 95 for Arkansas

vol,  if u are really comparing tenn's BKB history and Arkansas',  you will come in on the short end of the stick.  the same holds true of tamu

vol_in_ar

I'm really not trying to compare TN and AR, I just think your sights are set a little high if you think Self or Gillespie would come to Arkansas

Cajun Hog

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 07:10:49 pm
I'm really not trying to compare TN and AR, I just think your sights are set a little high if you think Self or Gillespie would come to Arkansas

You can EVER set your sights to HIGH.  Set wait and see how high it gets.  ;)

weresoclose

Then don't say we couldn't get them if you're not comparing our schools.  Just because TN couldn't get them, doesn't mean AR couldn't.

vol_in_ar

Nothing wrong with high aspirations, but in two days of post, no one's really articulated why Self or Gillespie would come to Arkansas..

I just don't think it's happening, maybe Doc Sadler, or if you want an ex Tennessee coach, you could probably get Buzz Peterson away from Coastal Carolina.

softballguy8

Quote from: Since 1894 on March 17, 2007, 05:43:08 pm
We will never pay the money. 

Who is that coach at Butler or VCU???

Picking up a coach from a small school who pulled an upset, or two, is how we got into our current position. We need a coach who is proven - on the major college level.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

Hogpuddin

My soft "sources" tell me that Self would still love to come to Arkansas.  They say that he always has.

Pork Twain

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2007, 10:19:55 am
Quote from: BeoPig on March 18, 2007, 09:06:56 am
I would argue that aTm currently has a much better foundation to build upon than Arkansas and I would rather be the first coach to do it at aTm than just another coach at Arkansas.  I heard they were getting a new practice facility there soon and who knows how long before they might get a new basketball arena. 

Got some bad news for you guys...  Arkansas has not been good since 1995, that is 12 years...  That means all these high school kids were either in elementary school or not even old enough to go to school.  Kinda hard to rely on that to get recruits here now.

Arkansas' past might be an upgrade but please explain to me how that translates into wins or getting a top of the line coach from an equal school.

I want a great coach just as much as anyone else but everyone acting like people are going to leave Kansas and aTm (Sweet 16 teams) to come running to Arkansas does not sound realistic.

Here's the problem I have with that line of thinking.

If not now, when?

Let's suppose that we keep Stan and get the same results we've been getting. Or we go hire another mid-major and get the same results we've been getting. In a few years you'll be able to type the same post and change 12 years to 16. At what point do we say, "Hey, we've got to stop the bleeding NOW. If that means we pay $1.5 million, do it. 2.0 million, do it. Whatever it takes, we're going to go buy a coach." 

Oh I want it done now and I think we will get it done, but I do not think anyone will be crawling to Arkansas and I do not think we are going to go into an equal campus and take their coach just because they want to come home even though Arkansas was never their home in the first place.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

wacohog

i'd rather set them too high than too low.

if tennessee needed a new fb coach, wouldnt you think you deserved a top-tier coach??
you should be able to understand