Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You can forget both Gillespie and Self coming to Arkansas!

Started by RockyMtnHog, March 17, 2007, 05:30:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RockyMtnHog

Both will have their teams in the Sweet 16.  Those schools will now pay top dollar to keep them.

Who's Next?
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

LJHOG

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on March 17, 2007, 05:30:44 pm
Both will have their teams in the Sweet 16.  Those schools will now pay top dollar to keep them.

Who's Next?
I think we should go get Rick Barnes.  I'm not sure Gillespie can be gotten at this point.  He's in the sweet 16 and has a good class coming in. Plus aTm will match any offer and he is texan to the bone.

HawgG

Quote from: LJHOG on March 17, 2007, 05:33:54 pm

Who's Next?
I think we should go get Rick Barnes.  I'm not sure Gillespie can be gotten at this point.  He's in the sweet 16 and has a good class coming in. Plus aTm will match any offer and he is texan to the bone.
Rick Barnes is not leaving the very rich in talent state of Texas.

pigmania

Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 05:31:55 pm
Not about the money.  We have plenty of money to pay as well.
I agree, I think we can out bid A&M or Kansas. There may be other factors keeping them where they are.

cubbie

If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

Hogz Win

LJHOG- That is my question.  After watching the game, I love the fire and hustle that A&M plays with and would be pumped if we got Gillispie.  But I don't want to start hoping that we get him just because a few people are saying that he is who we are going after.  I want to know if he has shown any interest in us, or if this is just wishful thinking.  He has turned down similar big time programs before.  Since no one will answer the question, it leads me to believe that it is just internet wishful thinking and I shouldn't get to excited.  Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Since 1894

We will never pay the money. 

Who is that coach at Butler or VCU???
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Butkus51

Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 05:44:36 pm
Quote from: Since 1894 on March 17, 2007, 05:43:08 pm

You are dead wrong.  I have talked directly to the person making that decision.  He is willing to pay enough to make this job top 5 in the country.

Who is it?  Who is it?

Fayetnam

Rocky! If they want either of those coaches, MONEY will not be an issue with the U of A. Nither A & M or Kansas closed off an entire street to celebrate the 1 Billion Dollar milestone.

Butkus51

I hope you're correct, because the univ. can come up with the money.  The big ? is will they.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 05:39:31 pm
Quote from: pigmania on March 17, 2007, 05:37:39 pm
I agree, I think we can out bid A&M or Kansas. There may be other factors keeping them where they are.

Actually there are other factors causing BG to have keen interest.

Opineoswine, in your opinion, do you think BG might be looking at this UA thing from the stand point of, "ok, its a great comunity, great facilities, they have statewide support ,where i have community support here, they built a 19200 seat arena there in 93, when A&M built a 12500 in 98, and they have alot more basketball tradition at AR and higher expectations there, something I (bg) would thrive on"??
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

So Cal Hog

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I felt compelled to register and say a few things about Gillispie.  There are several people on here that claim that they have inside information.  They may.  I don't.  However, both of my brothers are A&M graduates (your condolences are welcomed and appreciated) and both are pretty well informed.

Last year Indiana came after Gillispie hard.  He didn't even return their calls.  A&M tried to give him a fairly large raise at the end of last year.  He accepted a small portion of the raise and then asked them to put the rest toward an arena expansion and state of the art addition which will have coaches offices, training rooms, practice facilities, etc.  This does not sound like a guy who is looking for a big paycheck.  Money might not be an object, but it might not be a factor either.  He is driven by something other than a paycheck.  We may get him, but it won't be because of cash.  Also, I talked to one of my brothers yesterday and according to him, A&M's AD told Gillispie to expect a big contract extension on his desk when the team got back from KY.  According to my brother, Gillispie told the AD the same thing he said last year...put the majority of the money towards the new b-ball facilities.  If my brother is correct, we're going to have to come with our A-game to get him.

fu-man-soo

You are dead wrong.  I have talked directly to the person making that decision.  He is willing to pay enough to make this job top 5 in the country.

opine -  if you have talked to the decision maker when is stan out?

vol_in_ar

In pay, or status?

3kgthog

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the athletic dept. isn't supposed to see one dime of that $1 billion is it? Isn't it supposedly only for research and the establishment of scholarships and endowed chairs?

Also, aTm isn't poor: http://tamusystem.tamu.edu/systemwide/05/08/campus/capital.html

Neither is Kansas: http://www.kuendowment.org/news_events/news_releases/2006/billion.shtml

Both of them could probably match us dollar for dollar in a bidding war.

Hogz Win

So Cal- Since no one else will answer my question, maybe you know.  Do you know if we have already contacted him and is he interested?  Thanks.

So Cal Hog

Quote from: Hogz Win on March 17, 2007, 06:17:45 pm
So Cal- Since no one else will answer my question, maybe you know.  Do you know if we have already contacted him and is he interested?  Thanks.

Sorry, but I don't know.  I know that my brothers are very worried about Kentucky calling.  The only time we come up is when I say that we're going after him.  They just blow me off.  They don't seem to be to concerned about us.  I don't know if that is good or bad.  Time will tell.

31to6

new gf?

HogFan1973

Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 05:38:51 pm

Who's Next?

You guys are off. 

It's sad that you think aTm basketball trumps Arkansas basketball.  Also, we will pay whatever it takes.  We are basketball first school.  It's what we've been successful at and "they" know they have to ante up to get us back to where we belong.

I have often said that Gillespie won't stay at A&M because he will ALWAYS be second to Texass.  He claims it is not his "dream" job, and I really don't see the aggies paying more for their basketball coach than their football coach.  Football is number one at college station and bball number 2, where as bball is number 1 here.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Fayetnam on March 17, 2007, 05:49:42 pm
Rocky! If they want either of those coaches, MONEY will not be an issue with the U of A. Nither A & M or Kansas closed off an entire street to celebrate the 1 Billion Dollar milestone.
Arkansas has many things to recommend us to Billy Gillispie.  But, we cannot out bid TAMU if they choose to make it a money issue.  Money becomes a moot point when you are talking about programs like ARkansas and TAMU though.  I think BG's decision will come down to how much he believes the Aggies will commit to being a national power in BB.  If they can convince him of their sincerity in that department, I believe he will stay.  If not, he will choose our tradition and reputation as a top 15 program historically. 

Hong Kong Sooey

I'll answer you.  He has been contacted.  I don't know if that is through official channels or not, but he has been contacted.  He has also expressed what appears to be a legitimate interest in our position. 

Now, do we get him?  I really don't know.  SoCal's bro is saying exactly what my TAMU buddy (big time donor and city manager of a large Metroplex city) is telling me.  This guy has been one of my closest friends since elementary and he isn't BSing me.  Bill Byrne will pull out all the stops to keep Billy Clyde because he is the hire Byrne can call HIS.  He doesn't want to lose him at least as badly as we want him.  As I said above, if he can convince BCG that TAMU will make a serious committment to being a national power in BB, I doubt we can get him. 

Break out the big guns Chancellor White.  We need this guy to coach our basketball team.  He is a National Championship waiting to happen.

rev. tim

Bro. Opine is right.

Gillispie is looking for an opportunity to coach at a school that offers tradition, top-flight facilities and a hardcore fanbase that appreciates the product he puts on the floor night in and night out.

A&M has made significant upgrades in terms of faciliities, but you can't buy tradition or a fanbase.  He knows he'll never do better than one out of three at A&M.

Billy Gillispie is a smart man and he understands the difference between A&M and the UofA.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: rev. tim on March 17, 2007, 07:28:30 pm

Bro. Opine is right.

Gillispie is looking for an opportunity to coach at a school that offers tradition, top-flight facilities and a hardcore fanbase that appreciates the product he puts on the floor night in and night out.

A&M has made significant upgrades in terms of faciliities, but you can't buy tradition or a fanbase.  He knows he'll never do better than one out of three at A&M.

Billy Gillispie is a smart man and he understands the difference between A&M and the UofA.

does a 19200 seat arena, vs a 12500 seater that was built more recently play any part in his decision???
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

jbcarol

Quote from: So Cal Hog on March 17, 2007, 06:08:19 pm
Long time lurker, first time poster.  I felt compelled to register and say a few things about Gillispie.  There are several people on here that claim that they have inside information.  They may.  I don't.  However, both of my brothers are A&M graduates (your condolences are welcomed and appreciated) and both are pretty well informed.

Last year Indiana came after Gillispie hard.  He didn't even return their calls.  A&M tried to give him a fairly large raise at the end of last year.  He accepted a small portion of the raise and then asked them to put the rest toward an arena expansion and state of the art addition which will have coaches offices, training rooms, practice facilities, etc.  This does not sound like a guy who is looking for a big paycheck.  Money might not be an object, but it might not be a factor either.  He is driven by something other than a paycheck.  We may get him, but it won't be because of cash.  Also, I talked to one of my brothers yesterday and according to him, A&M's AD told Gillispie to expect a big contract extension on his desk when the team got back from KY.  According to my brother, Gillispie told the AD the same thing he said last year...put the majority of the money towards the new b-ball facilities.  If my brother is correct, we're going to have to come with our A-game to get him.

Man that just makes him even more attractive.  I now hope he enjoyed the atmosphere at Rupp Arena :)
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: So Cal Hog on March 17, 2007, 06:33:49 pm

Sorry, but I don't know.  I know that my brothers are very worried about Kentucky calling.  The only time we come up is when I say that we're going after him.  They just blow me off.  They don't seem to be to concerned about us.  I don't know if that is good or bad.  Time will tell.

Kentucky is staying with Tubby next year.  Locked and loaded.  Will clear out asst. coaching staff.  May become a haven for ex-SEC HC's.  No joke. 
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hong Kong Sooey

March 17, 2007, 07:38:47 pm #25 Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 07:45:43 pm by Hong Kong Sooey
Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on March 17, 2007, 07:33:44 pm
Quote from: rev. tim on March 17, 2007, 07:28:30 pm

Bro. Opine is right.

does a 19200 seat arena, vs a 12500 seater that was built more recently play any part in his decision???
One thing here.  A&M is already preparing to add 1000 more seats and have contracted to build a $22 million practice facility.  Our tradition and national perception are what will win the day with BCG.  We need to focus on who we are, not what we can pay. 

HogFan1973

Could he be telling the University to put most of the raise money towards the new building because he knows he is not going to be there for much longer and doesn't want to take these raises, and then leave?  Just a thought.

jbcarol

Quote from: Air It Out Gus on March 17, 2007, 07:38:58 pm

Could he be telling the University to put most of the raise money towards the new building because he knows he is not going to be there for much longer and doesn't want to take these raises, and then leave?  Just a thought.

That possibility plus the dedication he puts in and requires of his players makes him a serious UK candidate for the near future if Arkansas does not get it done over this off-season.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: Air It Out Gus on March 17, 2007, 07:38:58 pm

if thats the case he's got an aweful lot of class and integrity. I think if i was going to be leaving my job next year or in six months, yet they were offereing me a raise, i'd take the raise, not tell them to keep it and upgrade the equipment i work with

So Cal Hog

If what Hong Kong and I heard is correct, there's not really that much we can do other than make him an offer and show our assets.  The ball really is in A&M's court to show him that they will give him the resources necessary to compete nationally.  If they don't, he's ours.  If they do, I we're going to have to expand the search.

oldbooniehog

It's really very simple.

Texas A&M is not now, nor will it be in the near future, the kind of basketball program that can be a perennial national power, and compete for Final Four slots.

Arkansas was a perennial national power for most of the 1990s.

Does anybody else remember the 1990s? Three Final Fours? A National Championship? Ring any bells?

That's what will bring a coach like Gillespie to Arkansas.

Tradition, and the very real potential to reclaim that tradition.

obh

hawaiianhogster

Nobody wants to come to a place that is having to much negative national attention.

pokerhog

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on March 18, 2007, 12:13:25 am
Nobody wants to come to a place that is having to much negative national attention.

You're wrong... Arkansas is still considered one of the best basketball jobs in the entire country.

So Cal Hog

You are an idiot.

OKC

Quote from: opineonswine on March 18, 2007, 12:48:13 am
8th ranked bb program of ALL TIME by Street and Smiths.
The university needs to take appropriate action before it starts to drop dramatically.

Pork Twain

Who's Next?

You guys are off. 

It's sad that you think aTm basketball trumps Arkansas basketball.  Also, we will pay whatever it takes.  We are basketball first school.  It's what we've been successful at and "they" know they have to ante up to get us back to where we belong.
Just because we had a GREAT run in the 90's does not make us a basketball first school.  I say we are a football school that uses basketball and baseball to bridge the gap between football seasons.

Why would any big name coach want to leave a Sweet 16 program that is loaded to come to Arkansas?  Just curious, because the past does not win you many games now.  I think we can get a great coach but I am not sure we are going to steal one from an equal school based on the fact that we WERE great for about a 15 year stretch.  It is not like there is no talent in Texas for BG and Kansas does not lose many coaches.

I know most on here are talking out of their asses about BG and Self coming here but is there someone there that has actually heard something?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgsav1

You know, I don't know what's with this lovefest for Gillespie and Self (Self isn't coming here by the way, not with Kansas the way it is and all the talent he has there and the fact that they are more diehard Bball over football than we are).  Assuming Stan is gone (which doesn't seem to be completely surefire, though I hope it is), there are some other coaches that possibly would fit what the U of A is looking for.  It's been quite obvious that U of A doesn't want to dish out money in the 2-3 million dollar range and (assuming Broyles makes the hire) they tend to go for younger up and comers who don't demand a huge salary (look at how they got Heath and Nolan, both were up and comers).  Again, some good names are Seth Greenberg (Virginia Tech), and possibly even Mike Anderson (though I know Nolan burned a lot of bridges, no one can deny Mike Anderson's success at UAB and the fact he took that Mizzou program from the mess that stupid Dukie Quin Snyder left it in from nothing to at least an NIT bid and a decent record). I frankly would like a return to 40 minutes of hell. In fact, even though this is a crazy ssuggestion and wishful thinking, I would like to see Nolan back. From his interview, it seems that he would like to come back and I think if he did, he would be extremely motivated and wouldn't let his recruiting fall off like he did before. I for one, would like to give him another chance.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Hogz Win

I agree with everything but the last three sentences.  After reading what people have to say about Gillispie and seeing that Self probably won't take a lateral move (prestige wise) to a team with less talent, I think we have to go after a young, hungry coach from a school that is a rung just below us in the prestige category...meaning a middle of the pack big conference school or a top of the heap mid-major conference school.    Also, the coach should be able to recruit Texas and Louisiana.  Sorry for any mispellings.  It's St. Patty's day and I'm drunker than Keith Whitley.

Thanks to Hong Kong and So Cal for the info.

Just to clarify, I'm not giving up on Gillispie (I am on Self).  But I think we should have a backup plan with a guy like Anderson.

hawgalujah

March 18, 2007, 05:23:26 am #38 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:44:17 am by hawgalujah

Who's Next?

You guys are off. 

It's sad that you think aTm basketball trumps Arkansas basketball.  Also, we will pay whatever it takes.  We are basketball first school.   It's what we've been successful at and "they" know they have to ante up to get us back to where we belong.

Basketball First School?

Now I've got to question the validity of your sources!  Obviously something is wrong here or JFB is not in charge anymore.
Once a  :razorback:, Always a  :razorback:..Unless you're a Nutt!

Zeno

maybe we could get another one of the nutt brothers to come.

RazorBassin

Quote from: Zeno on March 18, 2007, 07:39:26 am
maybe we could get another one of the nutt brothers to come.

What a great idea, I can't believe I haven't thought of this[I apologize for such heavy sarcasm, but I found myself trying to erase this thought from my mind as now it will haunt my dreams]

WilsonHog

Before 2005 no one had ever heard of Texas A&M basketball. Shelby Metcalf had a nice regional run with some teams in the late 1970s, but for the most part that was it before Billy Gillespie came to town.

A&M basketball is a bridge job for coaches. One of those jobs where a coach has to figure, "Hey, if I can get this thing done for two or three years I need to use that success as a springboard and get the hell out." There is no track record for long-term success in College Station.

Contrast that with Arkansas. Eddie Sutton was successful from 1975 through 1985. Nolan Richardson was successful from 1986 through 2002. That's 28 years of excellent basketball. During the Sutton/Richardson years we -

(1) won a National Championship;
(2) played in four Final Fours;
(3) won or shared 10 conference championships and won seven conference tournament championships;
(4) finished the season ranked in the Top 25 18 times;
(5) finished the season ranked in the Top 10 ten times;
(6) averaged 23 wins and 9 losses a season.

Can anyone other than an Aggie fan compare the two programs and rationally conclude that Texas A&M has a better program than Arkansas? That Texas A&M job is better than the Arkansas job? That a coach can more easily win a National Championship at College Station than in Fayetteville?             

Pork Twain

I would argue that aTm currently has a much better foundation to build upon than Arkansas and I would rather be the first coach to do it at aTm than just another coach at Arkansas.  I heard they were getting a new practice facility there soon and who knows how long before they might get a new basketball arena. 

Got some bad news for you guys...  Arkansas has not been good since 1995, that is 12 years...  That means all these high school kids were either in elementary school or not even old enough to go to school.  Kinda hard to rely on that to get recruits here now.

Arkansas' past might be an upgrade but please explain to me how that translates into wins or getting a top of the line coach from an equal school.

I want a great coach just as much as anyone else but everyone acting like people are going to leave Kansas and aTm (Sweet 16 teams) to come running to Arkansas does not sound realistic.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

WilsonHog

Quote from: BeoPig on March 18, 2007, 09:06:56 am
I would argue that aTm currently has a much better foundation to build upon than Arkansas and I would rather be the first coach to do it at aTm than just another coach at Arkansas.  I heard they were getting a new practice facility there soon and who knows how long before they might get a new basketball arena. 

Got some bad news for you guys...  Arkansas has not been good since 1995, that is 12 years...  That means all these high school kids were either in elementary school or not even old enough to go to school.  Kinda hard to rely on that to get recruits here now.

Arkansas' past might be an upgrade but please explain to me how that translates into wins or getting a top of the line coach from an equal school.

I want a great coach just as much as anyone else but everyone acting like people are going to leave Kansas and aTm (Sweet 16 teams) to come running to Arkansas does not sound realistic.

Here's the problem I have with that line of thinking.

If not now, when?

Let's suppose that we keep Stan and get the same results we've been getting. Or we go hire another mid-major and get the same results we've been getting. In a few years you'll be able to type the same post and change 12 years to 16. At what point do we say, "Hey, we've got to stop the bleeding NOW. If that means we pay $1.5 million, do it. 2.0 million, do it. Whatever it takes, we're going to go buy a coach." 

elksnort

It makes me wonder how much anyone away from Arkansas pays any attention to Arkansas, except for Razorbacks fans abroad.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2007, 08:11:59 am
Before 2005 no one had ever heard of Texas A&M basketball. Shelby Metcalf had a nice regional run with some teams in the late 1970s, but for the most part that was it before Billy Gillespie came to town.

A&M basketball is a bridge job for coaches. One of those jobs where a coach has to figure, "Hey, if I can get this thing done for two or three years I need to use that success as a springboard and get the hell out." There is no track record for long-term success in College Station.

Contrast that with Arkansas. Eddie Sutton was successful from 1975 through 1985. Nolan Richardson was successful from 1986 through 2002. That's 28 years of excellent basketball. During the Sutton/Richardson years we -

(3) won or shared 10 conference championships and won seven conference tournament championships;

Can anyone other than an Aggie fan compare the two programs and rationally conclude that Texas A&M has a better program than Arkansas? That Texas A&M job is better than the Arkansas job? That a coach can more easily win a National Championship at College Station than in Fayetteville?             

There's a better recruiting base for the A&M coach..

WilsonHog

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 18, 2007, 11:18:34 am
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2007, 08:11:59 am

There's a better recruiting base for the A&M coach..

There's also a better recruiting base for the Northwestern coach, but coaches aren't flocking to Evanston.

vol_in_ar

A&M could still win a National Championship this year..
3 games and their in, and a 4th win gives BG a National Championship

Hostile_Aggie

Lying is a very unbecoming characteristic

hogjayhawk

Why would Self leave Kansas??? You are talking about one of the top five programs ever in college basketball 4 National Champions, 12 Final Fours and 50 conference championships. I grew up on Eddie Sutton And Nolan and I have lived in Arkansas all my life, but I would never leave Kansas to come to Arkansas. KU has pleanty of money to give Self, because the rest of their programs suck.