Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not Impressed with Billy Gilespie

Started by HogFan86, March 17, 2007, 11:19:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFan86

Look, How can anyone say that ole billy is a proven big name coach.. He hasnt been at A&M long enough to know if he is a good coach or not. Whats gonna happen when law leaves. The only reason they were good the other night was because of law. If were gonna put that much money into a coach why dont we just go ahead and go after a Bill Self or Pitino.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HogFan86 on March 17, 2007, 11:19:52 am
Look, How can anyone say that ole billy is a proven big name coach.. He hasnt been at A&M long enough to know if he is a good coach or not. Whats gonna happen when law leaves. The only reason they were good the other night was because of law. If were gonna put that much money into a coach why dont we just go ahead and go after a Bill Self or Pitino.

Look how can anyone on this board take you seriously or know if you are a good poster.  You only have 8 posts under your belt.  Have you read Bacon Bits?  Do you find humor in DEVICE HIGH?  Do you know what a war face is?   Hell even your Karma is 0/0 which makes you as bland as Stan Heath.  Just kidding.  I would go after Self first 13 years as a HC before Gillispie although Gillispie is very talented and if we don't get him someone else will.  Winners win, nice guys finish Stan.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hollywood_HOGan

newsflash:

HE'S WINNING AT A PROGRAM IN WHICH THEY'VE SUCKED FOR THE PAST 50 YEARS BEFORE GILLISPIE GOT THERE!

BRC0180

Not impressed with your ability to evaluate basketball coaches.

Must be a football goon, that wouldn't know a quality basketball coach from his arse?

Here is a little help for you:

*  Are his teams disciplined?  Do your homework

*  Do his teams compete/play hard/play with intensity?  Do your homework

*  Are his teams prepared?  Do your homework

*  Can he recruit?  Do your homework

*  Can he create excitement around a program?  Do your homework

*  Do they win?  Do your homework

Do your homework, make an informed analysis then tell us your not impressed with BCG, genius.

Phaedrus

People, you need to quit living in Peter Pan Land. Why on earth would Bill Self leave tradition rich Kansas when he has a stable full of talent, is currently a #1 seed and makes much more money than we pay Stanley here? Before Gillespie arrived in Aggieland they had made the NCAA tourney 2 times since 1912. He has been twice already. To say he wouldn't win without Law is like saying Rick Barnes and Texas would suck without Durant. Any good team has good players.

HogFan86

NO, i do not consider myself a great writer.. i am a great speaker but my writing ablilities do need improvement... i dont post often but read A LOT .. i never said billy was a bad coach nor do i believe he is ... but bill self is still much more proven.. I understand that were arkansas and might not be able to ( wont ) get bill self but if we cant get him whats are chances of getting billy.

hogs25

First of all with Pitino, there are somethings money can't buy and until Church Hill Down closes you can forget about him.  He loves those top pedigree horses.  You ought to go tour some of those famous horse stables around Louville.  It'll give you chills just seeing where Secretariat and Seattle Slue once roamed.  It's just in Pitino's blood.

pigmania

Quote from: Phaedrus on March 17, 2007, 11:28:11 am
People, you need to quit living in Peter Pan Land. Why on earth would Bill Self leave tradition rich Kansas when he has a stable full of talent, is currently a #1 seed and makes much more money than we pay Stanley here? Before Gillespie arrived in Aggieland they had made the NCAA tourney 2 times since 1912. He has been twice already. To say he wouldn't win without Law is like saying Rick Barnes and Texas would suck without Durant. Any good team has good players.
So what you're saying is Arkansas is not good enough for Self to even sniff at. Since we are Arkansas we have to settle for sloppy seconds from a mid major university. Money buys great coach's. Bama decided they were going to pay Saban whatever it takes to get him, why can't the U of A have the same mentality?

junkyardhog

So he has a big season this year. What was his record the 2 previous? I would wait til he has his recruits playing before making judgement. Whoever coaches here will have a better season next year.7 seniors and our freahmen will have a year experience.
Mike Williams
'UA 03

Have had the handle junkyardhog since 2002(WP)

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: junkyardhog on March 17, 2007, 11:45:53 am
So he has a big season this year. What was his record the 2 previous? I would wait til he has his recruits playing before making judgement. Whoever coaches here will have a better season next year.7 seniors and our freahmen will have a year experience.

he turned things around at UTEP and now he's turned things around at a program that has won NOTHING.

He beat Syracuse last year in the NCAAT and was a last second bucket away from making the sweet 16 aginst LSU.

dotnet

You just changed your stance, but I figure I should make something clear again. 

I don't think we can get BG but I have see a lot of people try to say he is like Heath and winning with someone else's players. 

Law wasn't this good four years ago.  He led a team that was 0-16 in the crap 12.  If Acie Law IV would have been this good with or without BG, there is no way he couldn't lead his team to a win against the bottom of the crap 12 as a freshman. 

He recruited three of the five starters and they have started since they were freshman.  He knows how to assemble a team.  This is not a case to where he recruits a lot of highly rated players and the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

He has recruited 2 four stars and 1 five star in his time there.  None of them start.  (one isn't on campus until next year, one is the sixth man, and one will be the sixth man next year).  It has taken him a little bit to recruit to College Station.  If you have seen Reed Arena, you would understand. 

This means he can recruit though, and he can coach up talent. 

JamesWParks

A&M 03-04: 0-16 in Big 12
Gillispie steps in
A&M 04-05: 8-8 in Big 12, NIT bid
A&M 05-06: 10-6 Big 12, NCAA bid
A&M 06-07: 13-3 Big 12, NCAA bid

Between 1990 up to the hiring of Gillispie, A&M made one postseason appearance, the 94 NIT.
Go Colts, Go Hogs

Joe

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Billy has done great things at A & M, but, he will not get the chance to do those things at Arkansas. This is a good thing. My opinion and feeling is that we will go after Bill Self with everything we have after KU's season is over, and Self will be the next HC of the Razorback basketball team.
     This is just my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.
     My opinions on us getting Self are as strong as Opine's opinion that we will get Gillespie.
     Regardless of which coach we get, either will be a huge upgrade and will get our program headed back to National prominence where we should be.
     Go!Hogs!Go!  Did I mention Fire  :puke: Houston Nutt?!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

JamesWParks

Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 11:58:12 am
Quote from: dotnet on March 17, 2007, 11:50:32 am
I don't think we can get BG 

You are dead wrong.

Depends on if A&M offers him a good extension or not.  Because if the money is the same, he would probably stay at A&M because, let's be realistic, they'll dominate Arkansas right now.

But in today's college basketball, you don't need 3-4 years to build a program like football.  You can win immediately with freshman. 
Go Colts, Go Hogs

JamesWParks

As far as the whole Bill Self thing, I just don't get it.  That is a huge downward step for him.  Roy Williams stuck around until something better came up, and it's pretty rare something better that KU opens.

Self is staying.  Count on it.
Go Colts, Go Hogs

dotnet

You are dead wrong.

I hope.  The only thing we can offer him though is a winning tradition.  Which part of me feels he is more interested in creating at A&M than he is following at Arkansas. 

JamesWParks

If BG turns the hogs down, don't count out Lon Kruger as a candidate.

//EDIT  Let me clarify:  I'm not necessarily saying I want Kruger or think he should be coach, just saying he would be a candidate.
Go Colts, Go Hogs

JamesWParks

Go Colts, Go Hogs

pigmania

Quote from: JamesWParks on March 17, 2007, 12:04:31 pm
As far as the whole Bill Self thing, I just don't get it.  That is a huge downward step for him.  Roy Williams stuck around until something better came up, and it's pretty rare something better that KU opens.

Self is staying.  Count on it.
Isn't it wonderful know that OUR Razorback program is at a point that it woud be a step down, for most big name coach's around the country, to come to.

JamesWParks

Yep, unfortunately it's not the mid 90s anymore. No one cares how good we used to be.
Go Colts, Go Hogs

BigHog396

Quote from: junkyardhog on March 17, 2007, 11:45:53 am
Gillispie IS coaching his own players.  17 of the 20 on aTm's roster have arrived SINCE Gillispie has been the head coach. 

Also, why don't you go back and look at what his records were in the past, rather than making ignorant statements because you don't want to take the time to get the facts on what you are discussing.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Phaedrus on March 17, 2007, 11:28:11 am

If Kentucky beats Kansas in the 2nd round, Bill Self may have to start looking for another job. 

The Kansas AD, who didn't hire Self, is sick of early exits in the NCAA tournament.  Self is well aware of his feelings.

I'd take Bill Self in a heartbeat, but I've got my heart set on Billy Gillespie.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

GREG1021

Better look at wekepedia before you star knocking BG.

Porkatarian

Quote from: JamesWParks on March 17, 2007, 12:16:43 pm
If BG turns the hogs down, don't count out Lon Kruger as a candidate.

//EDIT  Let me clarify:  I'm not necessarily saying I want Kruger or think he should be coach, just saying he would be a candidate.

If what I've been told is correct.  Lon Kruger is #4 on their short list.  Of course, I'm stilling holding out for #1.

Porkatarian out...

pigmania

I have nothing against Gillispie. I would rather have Self, because he has a longer track record of winning.

Porkatarian

Two points:

1. Texas A&M was 0 - 16 in the Big 12 before Gillespie arrived.

2.  Billy Gillespie is leading for every top recruit in the junior class in the state of Texas.  Arkansas will have 7 scholarships to offer for that class.

Looks like a match made in heaven!

Porkatarian out...

dotnet

Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 12:11:03 pm
Quote from: dotnet on March 17, 2007, 12:09:09 pm

You are dead wrong.

I hope.  The only thing we can offer him though is a winning tradition.  Which part of me feels he is more interested in creating at A&M than he is following at Arkansas. 

You are wrong again.  I mean this in the friendliest, optimistic sort of way..:).

Don't worry about this being a hot job....it still is.  We have basketball tradition and basketball fans.  Coaches like BG realize what can be accomplished here.

Here is where I disagree.  A&M has more basketball fans than Arkansas.  They had thousands of students camped out before the ut game and had to end that tradition. 

dotnet

Okay, but he isn't living in the past 100 years.  He is living in now.  And right now A&M has twice the number of fans that Arkansas has.

dotnet

That is the only thing Arkansas has over A&M.... well that and tradition. 

The question is this.  Does he want to follow in a long line of great men with a great arena?  Or does he want to continue to be a god somewhere and have them build an arena in five years and put his name on it?

Joe

March 17, 2007, 05:49:55 pm #29 Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 09:52:54 pm by Joe
 :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: How can people in this post readily compare us to A & M? We as far as tradition, and financial standing have a ton more to offer than A & M does.  People, it was not that long ago that we won a NC, and were the runners up the next year. That is a rarity in college BB. We are still a top tier program and although the last 7 tears would not indicate that, wait until next year when we get a BIG TIME HC in here who can actually coach, and all of the naysayers will see that we did not ever leave the big time of college BB, we just tok a little vacation to regroup.
     Arkansas is not a step down from ANY program in the country. Those of you who believe that we are NOT a BIG TIME program, probably also believe that Houston Nutt is the best HC in college football. Totally untrue. We are big time in college BB. We should be big time in college FB, if it were not for our lack of a HC, but we do employ a super used car salesman.
     People wake up!!! Quit feeling sorry for yourselves and see that the University of Arkansas IS big time in college BB and football. It is just a matter of a short period of time before we get two authentic HC that will take us back to where we deserve to be, which is in the hunt for National Titles every year. Not conference titles, National titles!!!
     We ARE the Arkansas Razorbacks!!!
     Did I mention Fire  :puke: Houston Nutt?!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

Fayetnam

And you saying Stan is a better coach? I would hope not! Heath is not even on the same level with Billy!

pokerhog

Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 05:55:15 pm
Quote from: Joe on March 17, 2007, 05:49:55 pm
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: How can people in this post redily compare us to A &M? We as far as tradition, and financial standing have a ton more to offer than A & M does.  People, it was not that long ago that we won a NC, and were the runners up the next year. That is a rarity in college BB. We are still a top tier program and although the last 7 tears would not indicate that, wait until next year when we get a BIG TIME HC in here who can actually coach, and all of the naysayers will see that we did not ever leave the big time of college BB, we just tok a little vacation to regroup.
     Arkansas is not a step down from ANY program in the country. Those of you who believe that , probably also believe that Houston Nutt is the best HC in college football. Totally untrue. We are big time in college BB. We should be big time in college FB, if it were not for our lack of a HC, but we do employ a super used car salesman.
     People wake up!!! Quit feeling sorry for yourselves and see that the University of Arkansas IS big time in college BB and football. It is just a matter of a short period of time before we get two authentic HC that will take us back to where we deserve to be, which is in the hunt for National Titles every year. Not conference titles, National titles!!!

AMEN!!

I think sucking for so long in basketball and football has warped some people's minds and memory.

People thinking we don't have a chance with Gillispie are very wrong! Also, if you're really trying to compare A&M basektball to Arkansas basketball you're crazy. I think A&M has been to the tourney 3 times, and 2 of them are with Gillispie. Also, A&M has more fans? Seriously, what are you talking about? They don't know a darn thing when it comes to big time basektball. We have better fans, better tradition and facilites.

If some of you don't think Arkansas is still a big time college basketball job, then you just don't know much as far as I'm concerned.

BRC0180

A&M knows they have the hottest coach in America right now, and will do anything they can to keep him.
With that said I would love to get BCG on the hill.  Don't kid yourself though.  5 years ago, college coaches still considered UofA one of the top 10 basketball jobs in the country.  Now without knowing who your boss is going to be it is a top 20 job that COULD BE GOOD.  Like I said I hope we get either of the Bills, just will be suprised if they come.

Lt. Caffey

First of all, why is everybody getting worked up over Billy Clyde Gillispie? He's not coming to Arkansas. IF he goes anywhere besides A&M, which is unlikely but not out of the realm of possibilities. He'll go to Kentucky when and if that job comes open.
So quit aggravating your carpal tunnel with these assinine Gillispie posts.

jbcarol

Quote from: GREG1021 on March 17, 2007, 12:43:01 pm
Better look at wekepedia before you star knocking BG.

and make sure you spell it "Gillispie"
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: Lt. Caffey on March 17, 2007, 06:23:36 pm
First of all, why is everybody getting worked up over Billy Clyde Gillispie? He’s not coming to Arkansas. IF he goes anywhere besides A&M, which is unlikely but not out of the realm of possibilities. He’ll go to Kentucky when and if that job comes open.
So quit aggravating your carpal tunnel with these assinine Gillispie posts.

With all due respect to a Lt., KY job is not coming open this year.  Appreciate you qualifying with "when and if".  When and if, I believe KY is looking for an inside job next time around.  Someone who understands the tradition and will passionately defend it.  Gillispie has that kind of passion.  But I am hoping he is executing it for the Hawgs.  Could be the kick start we need to relive some of those great rivalry games in the 90's.  In our household, 5 straight years, 5 straight final games we had a team in the mix for the NC.  That will spoil you.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Space Man

Look, How can anyone say that ole billy is a proven big name coach.. He hasn't been at A&M long enough to know if he is a good coach or not. Whats gonna happen when law leaves. The only reason they were good the other night was because of law. If were gonna put that much money into a coach why dont we just go ahead and go after a Bill Self or Pitino.

Gillespie is a good X and O coach is what is most important.  Many Arkansas fans keep saying they want a big name guy, which is not nearly important as having a guy who can X and O and most importantly positively direct and motivate his players.  Billy Gillespie and many mid-major coaches have the same ability.  Greg Marshall and Anthony Grant are two guys I prefer over Gillespie, only because of the tempo that their teams play at.  However Gillespie, will pick up wins wherever he is at, which is more important.  An ex razorback basketball player stated that Stan Heath is a hard coach to play for, which has led to the up and down play of the Razorbacks.  He is an average X and O coach, who has trouble motivating his players. 

sechawgfan

Patino and Calepari are 2 proven coaches, I wish we would go after hard. Dont think Calepari would leave Memphis, because he can dominate the league year in and year out, and probably have a better shot at a NC because of the weaker conference.  It will be hard to get any good coach to come to the SEC from a easier conference.

ExArky

Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 01:08:58 pm
  We have bb tradition over 100 year period....

I don't dispute in the least that UA has a better basketball tradition than aTm, but this is an exaggeration. Arkansas' basketball tradition, in terms of combined success and fan interest, basically started with Eddie Sutton in the 1970s. It was pretty spotty before then, and the Hogs were playing in a gym with sawdust on the side of the court before Sutton arrived.

hawgtime

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 17, 2007, 12:46:43 pm

Two points:

1. Texas A&M was 0 - 16 in the Big 12 before Gillespie arrived.

2.  Billy Gillespie is leading for every top recruit in the junior class in the state of Texas.  Arkansas will have 7 scholarships to offer for that class.

Looks like a match made in heaven!

Porkatarian out...

Don't see it.  What players?  He has Jr's and Sr's right now and they are still BORNG to watch.

get me a coach how will get the players and use them to win more NCs baby.

go hogs go

Hong Kong Sooey

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: How can people in this post readily compare us to A & M? We as far as tradition, and financial standing have a ton more to offer than A & M does.  People, it was not that long ago that we won a NC, and were the runners up the next year. That is a rarity in college BB. We are still a top tier program and although the last 7 tears would not indicate that, wait until next year when we get a BIG TIME HC in here who can actually coach, and all of the naysayers will see that we did not ever leave the big time of college BB, we just tok a little vacation to regroup.
     Arkansas is not a step down from ANY program in the country. Those of you who believe that we are NOT a BIG TIME program, probably also believe that Houston Nutt is the best HC in college football. Totally untrue. We are big time in college BB. We should be big time in college FB, if it were not for our lack of a HC, but we do employ a super used car salesman.
We DO NOT have more financial standing than TAMU.  Please get this through your heads people.  And it doesn't matter because we have more than enough to pay as much as any HC will ever be paid.  Focus on who we are.  We are the Arkansas Razorbacks, and we are a national basketball program.  We bring instant credibility to any HC's National Title aspirations.  Our tradition is just below the most elite teams in the nation.  Add BCG as HC, and we will reach that last pinnacle of basketball respect.  We will join the North Carolina's and Kentucky's and Kansas' of the world at the top of the basketball world both historically and immediately.  Money isn't what BCG is looking for anyway.

jbcarol

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 17, 2007, 09:57:21 pm
We DO NOT have more financial standing than TAMU.  Please get this through your heads people.  And it doesn't matter because we have more than enough to pay as much as any HC will ever be paid.  Focus on who we are.  We are the Arkansas Razorbacks, and we are a national basketball program.  We bring instant credibility to any HC's National Title aspirations.  Our tradition is just below the most elite teams in the nation.  Add BCG as HC, and we will reach that last pinnacle of basketball respect.  We will join the North Carolina's and Kentucky's and Kansas' of the world at the top of the basketball world both historically and immediately.  Money isn't what BCG is looking for anyway.

Arkansas Razorbacks have the absolute respect in the lore of Kentuck basketball.

'78 Triplets give KY their only serious threat on way to an NC.  It was serious.
'85 Absolutely thrilled that Eddie Sutton was on the way here.  Don't need to crawl. We'll pick you up
'90-91 This guy enjoyed watching those Razorback teams take on Texas and even UNLV.
'92-98 Best rivalry in College Basketball during the absolute peak of College Basketball.

Even today, every two years, Arkansas will pack the corner, upper rafters in Rupp.