Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Stan Heath going to be fired? If so when?

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, March 16, 2007, 11:10:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsGranpa

Quote from: RevHog77 on March 18, 2007, 06:35:07 pm
Am I the only one who still doesn't see how in the world we can fire Heath?  I can't think of anyone outside of UCLA teams in the 80's, firing a coach coming off of two NCAA tourney's and having a clean program. 
You might look at Kentucky's past history, especially with Eddie Sutton's tenure there.

I think, according to their records, he was the only coach that did not get them to a Final Four.

I am not sure of his last year, but I think they went to the NCAA tournament the other years he was there.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Death by Hog on March 18, 2007, 08:45:41 pm
Quote from: forrest city joe on March 18, 2007, 08:41:49 pm
Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2007, 08:34:55 pm
I can't believe what I'm reading.  So all the sudden you're no longer worried about the wrecking-ball disaster that would ensue?  Just because of ONE game?  Seriously, FCJ, how could your doom-and-gloom prediction just disappear after a performance everyone should have seen coming Friday in Spokane?
Let me give it to you like this. i was wrong for letting my harsh feelings about nutt, cloud my thinking about Stan. no more. it's time to fix both these programs now.starting with this basketball program. there you go. i admit my feelings for Stan before this last game was based on nothing  more than my dislike for nutt. i was wrong to do that. this last game was a wake up call for me. as this season should have been. Stan must go now.
I agree, We were once a basketball school so lets return to be a national power. First of all, Let's get rid of Heath MONDAY, no later.  Like FCJ says see who wants the job and if there is a big name coach that is interested in it lets see if we can make it happen. I don't mean someone from Southern Illinios or VCU. I like Anthoney Grant alot BUT we need to hit a homerun with this next coach. Not take chances, lets get a proven coach and pay whatever it takes to get this Razorback Basketball program back on the map where it belongs.
There can not be another mistake. this has to be big folks.

alaback

Quote from: Dugann on March 18, 2007, 07:22:44 pm
Michigan coach got canned and he has very simular record and track record of heath so I would say yes.

Not true, Ammaker spent 6 season at an equally tradition rich program and never once made it to the NCAA tournament.  He should have been fired last year after losing Beverley to Arkansas.

jbcarol

Sutton's last year was Kentucky's only losing season in the last 80 years and landed them on probation.  UK was told by the NCAA to let him go or stick with him for a couple of years on the death penalty.  Sutton went to Elite 8 in '86 (his first at UK) and narrowly missed getting in Final 4 that year.  He did not repeat that level of success at KY.  He was coaching at Okla. State and getting to NCAA while UK was off live TV, lost scholarships and could not compete in post-season despite winning the SEC regular season in '91.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

razorbacker80

Winning at least one tournament game might have made a difference... but just making the tournament twice doesn't seem like a big accomplishment.

BigHog396

Quote from: Pigonometry on March 18, 2007, 08:26:30 pm
Am I the only one who still doesn't see how in the world we can fire Heath?  I can't think of anyone outside of UCLA teams in the 80's, firing a coach coming off of two NCAA tourney's and having a clean program. 
Nope, I've been saying that since we made the tourney.  It would be a PR nightmare to fire a coach who brought our program from the abyss to back-to-back 20 win seasons and NCAAT appearances.

I don't think Heath will ever get it done but it will look bad to fire him.  Maybe he'll just "resign".......
How would it be a PR nightmare?  It would show that we actually care about the results of our program, and that we expect to get back to the high levels of consistency we once maintained.

Porkatarian

A better question for you:

Has anyone ever been fired after posting a SEC road record of 7 & 33 after 5 years?

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

alaback

I guess technically Nolan Richardson was.  He never had a chance to finish his last year, so I guess we will never know.

slopinhogs

you know bear Bryant is dead but Alabama still holds their coaches to his standards and none of them know what they were. and we're holding Heat to Nolan's and he doesn't know what they were
as long as this continues to happen the fans will never be happy/ the days of bear and the 40 minutes of hell are a thing of the past. we need to find a new way to make that happen and call it heathhell. he is the man to make it happen here i believe . oh i know in some eyes he has been pitiful so far . that just isn't so . with what he inherited coming here and what has happened since his arrival. we are lucky to be where we are wright now. that is all credited to Coach Heath
you can say I'm full of it if you want to but He deserves another year. i think you will be happy with the results. he may need a couple of new assistants but he is the mad for the HOGS.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

alaback

Quote from: slopinhogs on March 18, 2007, 09:28:03 pm
you know bear Bryant is dead but Alabama still holds their coaches to his standards and none of them know what they were. and we're holding Heat to Nolan's and he doesn't know what they were
as long as this continues to happen the fans will never be happy/ the days of bear and the 40 minutes of hell are a thing of the past. we need to find a new way to make that happen and call it heathhell. he is the man to make it happen here i believe . oh i know in some eyes he has been pitiful so far . that just isn't so . with what he inherited coming here and what has happened since his arrival. we are lucky to be where we are wright now. that is all credited to Coach Heath
you can say I'm full of it if you want to but He deserves another year. i think you will be happy with the results. he may need a couple of new assistants but he is the mad for the HOGS.

Wow!  Apparently you have been paying close attention the last 5 years.  All hail Heath!

Rooka

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 18, 2007, 08:51:11 pm
Quote from: Death by Hog on March 18, 2007, 08:45:41 pm
Quote from: forrest city joe on March 18, 2007, 08:41:49 pm
Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2007, 08:34:55 pm
I can't believe what I'm reading.  So all the sudden you're no longer worried about the wrecking-ball disaster that would ensue?  Just because of ONE game?  Seriously, FCJ, how could your doom-and-gloom prediction just disappear after a performance everyone should have seen coming Friday in Spokane?
Let me give it to you like this. i was wrong for letting my harsh feelings about nutt, cloud my thinking about Stan. no more. it's time to fix both these programs now.starting with this basketball program. there you go. i admit my feelings for Stan before this last game was based on nothing  more than my dislike for nutt. i was wrong to do that. this last game was a wake up call for me. as this season should have been. Stan must go now.
I agree, We were once a basketball school so lets return to be a national power. First of all, Let's get rid of Heath MONDAY, no later.  Like FCJ says see who wants the job and if there is a big name coach that is interested in it lets see if we can make it happen. I don't mean someone from Southern Illinios or VCU. I like Anthoney Grant alot BUT we need to hit a homerun with this next coach. Not take chances, lets get a proven coach and pay whatever it takes to get this Razorback Basketball program back on the map where it belongs.
There can not be another mistake. this has to be big folks.
Yep It has to be groundbreaking, we HAVE to hit this one out of the ballpark. Bill Gillespie would be perfect if you ask me but everyone thinks that him and self would be long shots. I would also love to see Mike Anderson come back, but very unlikely. We can only hope that someone will want the big bucks and come Arkansas's way and save our basketball program.

hoggiefan

Quote from: Yindao on March 18, 2007, 06:41:14 pm
At Arkansas, we've earned the right to fire a coach for only making it to the NCAA tourney. 

Don't you know our RICH tradition of championships???
\

I am a very loyal razorback fan, but what championships are you talking about?   I believe we have only one national each in football and basketball.   I know in track and field we have lots of national championships.  Just curious......

bd93

If he is fired when will it happen?

lrar1974

lrar1974

HamHands

One day at a time.

coach, my back hurts

If not tomorrow then we are stuck with him.  It does not make since to keep a guy around who is not fit for the job.  If Gills or Self is not available then move on to the next guy. 

If he is not fired tomorrow then we are more concerned about getting the "right" coach instead of just getting rid of the "wrong" coach. 

I would like Self or Gills, but getting rid of Heath should be the first and most important decision.  There are plenty of capable coaches out there other than Gills and Self that would like to be here.

mbgrulz

if we are gonna do it, tomorrow makes the most sense. no reason to fart around on this. you know good and well that some phone call$ have been made over the past 48 hour$.

RedSatinHog

I believe he's about to take a job elsewhere.  The run to end the season and get us into the tourney by the skin of our teeth will give him the leeway to go to another school. 

I wish Stan Heath all the best.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Houston h

Let me previce this by saying that I'm not a fan of what Heath has done at Ark.  But how does his record in the last 5 years compare to HDN?  I believe if you look at the winning percentages, they are almost identical!  Around 55%, so how do you fire one without firing the other?  At least Heath is man enough to stand up and take the blame for losses, HDN would never do that!  Class has to play a little role in the argument as well and we know who is the classier of the two!  Can you imagine Heath being involved in the email scandal with Beverly?  He would have been fired mid-season!  CAN YOU SAY DOUBLE STANDARD!

Houston h

HognotinMemphis

Hey, we're number 64! Go with that and keep the head coach!  That's all we aspire to so like it and live with it.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

liferedeemed

I think he will take a job elsewhere.

HawgAlude

Heath seemed confident about the meeting. It is possible he will get another year and does not seem worried in the least. I do think that they will keep him but it could depend on the feelers they have sent out to agents and how stan feels about moving to another school.

HognotinMemphis

Michigan fired a coach after winning the NCAAT. So did UCLA. Firing Heath after one and done two years in a row is nothing compared to that.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

pokerhog

Quote from: Houston hater on March 18, 2007, 10:29:45 pm
Let me previce this by saying that I'm not a fan of what Heath has done at Ark.  But how does his record in the last 5 years compare to HDN?  I believe if you look at the winning percentages, they are almost identical!  Around 55%, so how do you fire one without firing the other?  At least Heath is man enough to stand up and take the blame for losses, HDN would never do that!  Class has to play a little role in the argument as well and we know who is the classier of the two!  Can you imagine Heath being involved in the email scandal with Beverly?  He would have been fired mid-season!  CAN YOU SAY DOUBLE STANDARD!

Can you say it's ridiculous to compare the basketball program to the football program? If you're going to compare the 2, you look at their first 5 years. The logic you tried to use is flat out terrible.

three

IF this was a Frank call, he would be fired tomorrow...BUT, keep in mind, he WILL have to get John White to sign off on this...and make NO MISTAKE about it, Heath was a John White hire from the very beginning.  That being said, whether it's tomorrow, or when they get the coach of their choice lined up 2 weeks from now, I don't see anyway Heath is still in Arkansas by next season.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

USCoastGuard

no the real question is....HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN FIRED FOR LOOSING THE FIRST ROUND OF THE NCAA TOURNY THE ONLY TWO YEARS THEY HAVE MADE IT.
Come back over Gus!

pokerhog

Quote from: HogZ28 on March 18, 2007, 10:57:49 pm
Quote from: pokerhog on March 18, 2007, 10:54:21 pm

Can you say it's ridiculous to compare the basketball program to the football program? If you're going to compare the 2, you look at their first 5 years. The logic you tried to use is flat out terrible.

the only terrible logic is that used by the PTB when it came to hiring Nutt and Heath....

Regardless, it's not logical to compare 2 coaches in 2 different sports.

Houston h

I disagree totally!  HDN inherited a program stocked with great players, Heath inherited guys no one else wanted.  If HDN has done a great job, then why can't you compare his last 5 years?  Because he had losing records in 2 of those 5, with players that HE recruited, that's why?  Heath is about to have his 1st real senior class!

Blue35

I don't think Heath will be fired. Broyles does not want to go through the trauma of firing and hiring again. He will let the new AD worry about it next year.

pokerhog

Quote from: Houston hater on March 18, 2007, 11:00:17 pm

I disagree totally!  HDN inherited a program stocked with great players, Heath inherited guys no one else wanted.  If HDN has done a great job, then why can't you compare his last 5 years?  Because he had losing records in 2 of those 5, with players that HE recruited, that's why?  Heath is about to have his 1st real senior class!

Please. All of those "great players" had back to back losing seasons before 98. None of them were highly rated recruits coming out of high school. I know all about the era before Nutt got here. You act like they were a top 10 type of class which can't be further from the truth.

lrar1974

Quote from: Blue35 on March 18, 2007, 11:04:18 pm
I don't think Heath will be fired. Broyles does not want to go through the trauma of firing and hiring again. He will let the new AD worry about it next year.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

JRAZOR24

Either tommorow or we might get lucky and he will resign
DMAC FOR HEISMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houston h

Quote from: pokerhog on March 18, 2007, 11:05:33 pm

Please. All of those "great players" had back to back losing seasons before 98. None of them were highly rated recruits coming out of high school. I know all about the era before Nutt got here. You act like they were a top 10 type of class which can't be further from the truth.
How many guys off that 98 team went on to play in the NFL?  What I'm saying is that Nutt had a lot more talent on his team than what Heath had when he took over.  Nutt also had great assistant coaches like Ferguson that he promply ran off because they were stealing his thunder!

lrar1974

Anybody that wants to excuse Stans pathetic tenure as coach, because they hate Houston Nutt is not doing the program any favors.

Stan has shown he is completely incompetent to the point that he can't even CHALLENGE for a division title.

Stan Heath must go even if you Nutt haters want to excuse Heath's clear lack of basketball coaching ability.

Houston h

Quote from: lrar1974 on March 18, 2007, 11:14:13 pm
Anybody that wants to excuse Stans pathetic tenure as coach, because they hate Houston Nutt is not doing the program any favors.

Stan has shown he is completely incompetent to the point that he can't even CHALLENGE for a division title.

Stan Heath must go even if you Nutt haters want to excuse Heath's clear lack of basketball coaching ability.
I never said I wanted Heath to stay, quite frankly I thought he should have been fired last year.  My point is that how do you fire him when you haven't even considered firing Nutt?  He has had terrible years, made the program into a laughing stock, lost the best rated player that had ever commited to Arkansas after he won 8 gamess and lost the best players in the state in a year when we won 10 games!  I think they both should go!

mbgrulz

Quote from: Blue35 on March 18, 2007, 11:04:18 pm

Broyles wants to go out on a high note. Hiring a big name BB coach is his chance to make a splash with the fan base and regain some of the favor that he has lost with the HDN debacle.

As bad as he has been the last little bit, he did not get to where he is by "letting someone else worry about it." He likes control and this is one of the last major things that will have his stamp on it.

lrar1974

Quote from: Houston hater on March 18, 2007, 11:18:04 pm
Quote from: lrar1974 on March 18, 2007, 11:14:13 pm

I never said I wanted Heath to stay, quite frankly I thought he should have been fired last year.  My point is that how do you fire him when you haven't even considered firing Nutt?  He has had terrible years, made the program into a laughing stock, lost the best rated player that had ever commited to Arkansas after he won 8 gamess and lost the best players in the state in a year when we won 10 games!  I think they both should go!
I really wasn't talking about you per say. But usually the dog that barks is the dog that got hit with the rock.

My point is that the debate about Houston is over for at least 10 months or so. Regardless of what you think about Houston, he's not going anywhere for this season.

But that does not change the fact that Stan should go right now. That's my point.

mword

Probably never. Broyles don't want to go through another Nolan incident.

Mr. Porkleone

I no Nutt needs to go and what happens with that happens....

Right now the issue at hand is Firing Heath....Can't anyone answer a question without bringing up Dale???

FIRE HEATH MONDAY...and put your feelers out for the big 2 or 3 we want and wait till there team is out...

pokerhog

Quote from: Houston hater on March 18, 2007, 11:09:32 pm
Quote from: pokerhog on March 18, 2007, 11:05:33 pm

How many guys off that 98 team went on to play in the NFL?  What I'm saying is that Nutt had a lot more talent on his team than what Heath had when he took over.  Nutt also had great assistant coaches like Ferguson that he promply ran off because they were stealing his thunder!

How many of those guys were 1st round draft picks? I think Brandon Burlsworth was the only 1, wasn't he?

lrar1974

Quote from: schweine on March 18, 2007, 11:23:50 pm
Probably never. Broyles don't want to go through another Nolan incident.
Wow, I hope Wally doesn't get a copy of your post..

It's in Heaths contract that he can't sue the school for termination. That doesn't mean he wouldn't raise a stink about it.

I don't think he would though. He's a classy guy and he will land on his feet.

pokerhog

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on March 18, 2007, 11:24:33 pm
I no Nutt needs to go and what happens with that happens....

Right now the issue at hand is Firing Heath....Can't anyone answer a question without bringing up Dale???

FIRE HEATH MONDAY...and put your feelers out for the big 2 or 3 we want and wait till there team is out...

It's impossible to have a conversation on here without someone bringing up how much they hate Nutt. I just think it's pathetic, personally.
I don't care if somebody has a different opinion, but there's a point where it starts to get beyond ridiculous.

pokerhog

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 18, 2007, 11:31:24 pm
HDN will not be fired soon enough.

All I'll say about that, is if he is fired and we win 10 or more games again next season, we better get somebody in here that can consistently put up double digit win  seasons.

pokerhog

Quote from: pokerhog on March 18, 2007, 11:34:06 pm

All I'll say about that, is if he is fired and we win 10 or more games again next season, we better get somebody in here that can consistently put up double digit win  seasons.

It'll be tough to do in a stacked conference, but I'll be hoping for the best.

pokerhog

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 18, 2007, 11:39:12 pm
Quote from: pokerhog on March 18, 2007, 11:34:56 pm
Quote from: pokerhog on March 18, 2007, 11:34:06 pm

Yeah,  because that makes a lot of sense, right? Sheesh. Right now we have 3 guys committed that will be 4 star prospects. We also have 2 more in the state that are considered to be 4 star prospects that are heavily favoring us. We've always had good running backs, so I'm not really worried about that. My main concern is our defense.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: three on March 18, 2007, 10:57:39 pm
IF this was a Frank call, he would be fired tomorrow...BUT, keep in mind, he WILL have to get John White to sign off on this...and make NO MISTAKE about it, Heath was a John White hire from the very beginning.  That being said, whether it's tomorrow, or when they get the coach of their choice lined up 2 weeks from now, I don't see anyway Heath is still in Arkansas by next season.
It is now a business decision, as in income down, expenses up, and lost fan support, due to empty seats, no crowd noise, or excitement atmosphere, equal sick program that continues to go down.

And, John White and Frank Broyles are held responsible to do something about the downward trend.

3pigsinafountain

What a short memory you have.  Eddie Sutton was at Arkansas 11 years and took the Hawgs to the NCAA tournament the last 9 years in a row.  People blathering about Heaths 2 tournament visits keeping his job safe should review Eddies record, some of it earned when the NCAA tournament only let 16 teams in.  Eddie was run off with 9 STRAIGHT NCAA TOURNMENT teams, which at the time put Arkansas in the top 10 schools for current consecutive tournment teams.

stchane

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 18, 2007, 07:00:57 pm
Hey should he be fired?  Maybe, maybe not but sometimes its just time for some old fashioned house cleaning to shake things up. Better to do it now because if we wait until next year we are screwed and it may be the start of our ending for the next few years.

If we fire SH, we set the double standard.  You cannot seriously argue that our basketball program is any more mediocre than our football program.  Only with the best player in the country, who woulda signed with Arkansas if you or I were the head coach, does HDN win 10 games for his first time.  HDN took a great season to a good season.  Now look at Heath, he's come from the depths to take us to consecutive NCAAT berths and 20-win seasons.  I, along with every other fan, wish it woulda happened sooner.  We need to account for the fact that he is also still learning as a coach (and I hope he learned a helluva lot this year, cause he got outcoached plenty). 

Long story short, he deserves next year.  If we can't go to at least the sweet 16, he needs to be canned.  By no means to we replace Heath before Nutt.  Heath has had "done more with less" time, and recruited better players, even though some of them didn't work out.  Heath may not get the top players, but at least he is on them, which can't be said of Dale. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane