Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VCU Coach Anthony Grant

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 16, 2007, 09:08:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

Did anybody else watching the Duke/VCU game last night think that Grant might be fun to have as the HC at Arkansas.  Watching them play was the "40 Minutes of Hell" that we all grew so fond of watching during Nolan's tenure.  I'm not saying that I want Heath gone (because I don't), I am just saying that VCU's style of basketball was fun to watch and reminded me of the Hogs of the late 80's the 90's.  I'll be rooting for them until they are eliminated.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hoghart

Even without the Duke loss, that was the best basketball game i've seen in years.  Was discussing with a friend and we said the same thing...it looked like Nolan's team was on the court.

Hire him today!
"It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."
Abraham Lincoln

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Kevin on March 16, 2007, 09:10:22 am
i would hire him right now
This is his very first year as a HC.  He used to coach under Billy Dovovan at Florida for 10 years prior to getting the HC job at VCU.  I wouldn't mind him, but I know that most people and the PTB want a more established coach, not an "up and comer".

Tripod1

Another mid major hire!!  I thought you guys had sworn off that and want a "seasoned" coach.  Fickle is your middle name.  You jump on the band wagon too quick.

peakhog

Was that guy calm and collected or what? VCU played at a furious pace the entire game and he never changed expressions or got flustered. Even when the winning shot went in at 1.8, he was calm. He will have a big $$$$ coming.

V B Porkers

seasoned like Lon Kruger Yipee

TheNuttlessFrontier

Quote from: peakhog on March 16, 2007, 09:16:33 am
Was that guy calm and collected or what? VCU played at a furious pace the entire game and he never changed expressions or got flustered. Even when the winning shot went in at 1.8, he was calm. He will have a big $$$$ coming.

That kind of disposition is not welcome at Arkansas.  We prefer coach's who give refs the "death glare" or chew on their own fingernails.

Tusker-N-Hooch

Quote from: gators_fear_dmac on March 16, 2007, 09:23:55 am

That kind of disposition is not welcome at Arkansas.  We prefer coach's who give refs the "death glare" or chew on their own fingernails.

Gratuitous fingernail reference. Nice!

jry04

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 16, 2007, 09:08:18 am
Did anybody else watching the Duke/VCU game last night think that Grant might be fun to have as the HC at Arkansas.  Watching them play was the "40 Minutes of Hell" that we all grew so fond of watching during Nolan's tenure.  I'm not saying that I want Heath gone (because I don't), I am just saying that VCU's style of basketball was fun to watch and reminded me of the Hogs of the late 80's the 90's.  I'll be rooting for them until they are eliminated.
I am not saying he is a bad coach, but Heath had a good run with a mid-major team in the tournament and we hired him and everyone is complaining. You are willing to hire another mid-major despite the majority of our fan base wanting Heath gone?

Wasn't our last hire based upon a flash in the pan that had a nice tourney run? Why would we do that again?

PiggyBack

Quote from: gators_fear_dmac on March 16, 2007, 09:23:55 am

Beat me to it!  Good post! +1!

Now, about that avatar....
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

PigKahuna

OMG!  This is just like the Heath situation.  One season and one win in the NCAAs does not a great coach make.

They beat Duke because of great guard play

Hogtropolis™

March 16, 2007, 09:35:30 am #13 Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 09:40:00 am by Hogtropolis™
Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 16, 2007, 09:27:01 am
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 16, 2007, 09:08:18 am
I am not saying he is a bad coach, but Heath had a good run with a mid-major team in the tournament and we hired him and everyone is complaining. You are willing to hire another mid-major despite the majority of our fan base wanting Heath gone?
I want Heath to stay.  I think he is going to do some very good things in his career.  I hope that Arkansas is able to retain him and that he doesn't leave for one of those Big 10 job openings, but if he did, I think this guy would be a good replacement.  I doubt that it would happen though since all the talk is about getting a BIG name coach.  Just to make my stance clear one more time, I have no problem with Heath being the coach and I hope he continues to be the coach.

Side note (Edit):  The purpose of this thread was to point out that the style of play that VCU had was very exciting to watch and very similar to "40 Minutes of Hell".  I also think that style of play would get people to fill BWA again even during OOC games.

PiggyBack

Quote from: PigKahuna on March 16, 2007, 09:32:42 am
OMG!  This is just like the Heath situation.  One season and one win in the NCAAs does not a great coach make.

They beat Duke because of great guard play

They beat Duke because Duke was HIGHLY overrated this year.  Duke just wasn't very good.  Period.

Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

TRUHOG718

*No name coach until yestarday
*great tourney win
*winning using other coaches players....................Sound like anyone we know........you guys cant have it both ways......either you want a coach like this or you dont...why fight tooth and nail over heaths success at ARK and still want him gone to hire the same situation again... WTH
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Hollywood_HOGan

Grant would be a HUGE risk.

If we fire coach Heath, do we really want to go hire another coach Heath?

Grant is having success with Jeff Capel's players right now just like coach heath had success with the previous regime's players.

I really like coach heath but if we get rid of him after making a late run, we better have a big name lined up.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 16, 2007, 09:42:30 am
*great tourney win
*winning using other coaches players....................Sound like anyone we know........you guys cant have it both ways......either you want a coach like this or you dont...why fight tooth and nail over heaths success at ARK and still want him gone to hire the same situation again... WTH
Have you not read the thread at all?  I want Heath to stay.  I was just stating that the style of play was exciting to watch and that if Heath left for a Big 10 school I wouldn't mind hiring this guy for his style of play alone.

razorsox

Quote from: Tripod1 on March 16, 2007, 09:14:38 am
Another mid major hire!!  I thought you guys had sworn off that and want a "seasoned" coach.  Fickle is your middle name.  You jump on the band wagon too quick.
Touche!!  I thought this place was hell bent on getting big bad Bill Self who has lost his last two first round games.  Now they are jumping on the johnson of this VCU coach because he beat Duke.  Not saying Heath is the greatest coach or anything but he did take a team to the Elite Eight so he can't suck that bad.  Fickle indeed!
The last thing we need is a bunch of rednecks running around with McFadden Cowboy jerseys.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 16, 2007, 09:46:41 am
*great tourney win
Have you not read the thread at all?  I want Heath to stay.  I was just stating that the style of play was exciting to watch and that if Heath left for a Big 10 school I wouldn't mind hiring this guy for his style of play alone.

Grant would be good if we were down to our 4th,5th choice.

razorpimp

I think people are just pumped about the VCU coach because of the intensity of the play of his players.  They worked their butts off.  It did remind me of the good ole days.

In all honesty, we are not even close to having the type of athletic players needed to run that kind of defense.  Could you see Townes getting after someone in a full court press?

Kevin

let me explain something.

it is about who you hire.  billy donovan had 2 that is 2 years head coaching experience, no ncaa tourney experience when hired at florida. 

at the time, florida AD who lookingat herb sendek and billy d, herb was head coach at miami of ohio. pitino said you want to play like i do then it is billy, play slower like KRUGER take herb. they took billy d, history has now been written.

if you hire the right guy then, experience can be over rated. 

anthony is a hard worker, great personality, awesome recruiter, CAN COACH, nice blood line pitino, donovan. 

last thing, arkansas cannot beat duke this year.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

hoghart

Quote from: Kevin on March 16, 2007, 09:52:21 am

we wont have to...they are out!
"It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."
Abraham Lincoln

hogsanity

These are the same things people said while KENT was making its run with Stan Heath at the helm IN HIS 1st YEAR AS A HC. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Kevin on March 16, 2007, 09:52:21 am
let me explain something.

it is about who you hire.  billy donovan had 2 that is 2 years head coaching experience, no ncaa tourney experience when hired at florida. 

at the time, florida AD who lookingat herb sendek and billy d, herb was head coach at miami of ohio. pitino said you want to play like i do then it is billy, play slower like KRUGER take herb. they took billy d, history has now been written.

if you hire the right guy then, experience can be over rated. 

anthony is a hard worker, great personality, awesome recruiter, CAN COACH, nice blood line pitino, donovan. 

Good post

Kevin

i didn't know heath at the time

i know Anthony Grant and he is NO heath

LSPRazorbac

Wonder how long Duke Vitale cried last night over the loss?

abraHAM_lincoln

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 16, 2007, 09:46:39 am
Grant would be a HUGE risk.

If we fire coach Heath, do we really want to go hire another coach Heath?

Grant is having success with Jeff Capel's players right now just like coach heath had success with the previous regime's players.

I really like coach heath but if we get rid of him after making a late run, we better have a big name lined up.

I agree... I remember when Nolan was let go and heath lost in the elite 8...a whole lot of people were going.. We gotta have that Kent State Coach, or someone else will get him...

...I am no longer interested in the "hot commodity", "Flash in the pan" type coach...  give me a guy who has led two or more programs onto the national stage and has been a consistent success.

WestMemphisHogFan

I noticed it and was impressed by it.  However, some have criticized Heath for not showing very much emotion.  I wonder what those folks would think about Grant as our HC?

TRUHOG718

*great tourney win
Easy killer. Yes I read the thread. And I didnt quote your post that means I wasnt responding to you. Read your own thread and you will see who I am responding to. I was responding to posts like these below. And there are 10 other posts on this thread like mine so I figure you just enjoy singling me out.

Quote from: hoghart on March 16, 2007, 09:12:53 am
Even without the Duke loss, that was the best basketball game i've seen in years.  Was discussing with a friend and we said the same thing...it looked like Nolan's team was on the court.

Hire him today!

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: razorpimp on March 16, 2007, 09:51:55 am
I think people are just pumped about the VCU coach because of the intensity of the play of his players.  They worked their butts off.  It did remind me of the good ole days.

In all honesty, we are not even close to having the type of athletic players needed to run that kind of defense.  Could you see Townes getting after someone in a full court press?

wow, are you ever wrong. all we have are atheletes. weems, bev, washington, ervin, welsh, ....even Hill is a good athelete.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

razorpimp

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on March 16, 2007, 10:11:06 am

I noticed it and was impressed by it.  However, some have criticized Heath for not showing very much emotion.  I wonder what those folks would think about Grant as our HC?

He showed plenty of emotion last night!  You saw the emotion and hard play from those VCU players.  Sometimes just a glare from a coach is all the emotion needed.  Stan Heath doesn't have a glare or anything, just a ho hum look all the time.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 16, 2007, 10:11:07 am
*great tourney win
Easy killer. Yes I read the thread. And I didnt quote your post that means I wasnt responding to you. Read your own thread and you will see who I am responding to. I was responding to posts like these below. And there are 10 other posts on this thread like mine so I figure you just enjoy singling me out.

Even without the Duke loss, that was the best basketball game I've seen in years.  Was discussing with a friend and we said the same thing...it looked like Nolan's team was on the court.

Hire him today!

Sorry man, I guess I am a little edgy since the most important game for Hog bball in a long time is coming up tonight.  I just saw that you didn't quote anybody, and I assumed that you were stating this in general.  As far as not responding to others, it was probably just reading yours after I had already read all the other's responses as well (I gave you a +1 for the snap reaction on my part).

But you do have to admit, that was a very exciting game to watch yesterday.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: LSPRazorbac on March 16, 2007, 10:08:44 am
Wonder how long Duke Vitale cried last night over the loss?

I had to go to Memphis last night, and as I crossed the Mississippi River bridge, I noticed the police were talking to some bald-headed guy and trying to talk  him out of jumping.  He was saying stuff like, "but I lost my first love tonight, baby.  Some of my favorite "Diaper Dandy's" are out of the tourney, baby. They had some great "PTPer's".  I just couldn't take the pressure from the "Maalox Masher".  If Duke had only hit one more "Trifecta" baby, I wouldn't be on this bridge. They had some great "slap a lapper" and "dipsy-doo dunkeroo slam-jam-bam, baby!" just not enough. In the first half I was ready to "call the fire chief cause he's on fire!". But they cooled off, baby.  Now...I have no interest in the tourney, nor in life, now that my beloved Duke is out of it.

I'm not for sure it was Dickie V...what do you think?  ;) ;D

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: razorpimp on March 16, 2007, 10:13:38 am
Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on March 16, 2007, 10:11:06 am

He showed plenty of emotion last night!  You saw the emotion and hard play from those VCU players.  Sometimes just a glare from a coach is all the emotion needed.  Stan Heath doesn't have a glare or anything, just a ho hum look all the time.

I agree that the team displayed his emotion through hustle, etc.  I have seen the Razorbacks do the same in response to Heath the past few weeks also. I also have seen more emotion out of SH than I ever have. Hope they keep it up tonight!!

TRUHOG718

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 16, 2007, 10:17:10 am
Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 16, 2007, 09:42:30 am*No name coach until yestarday
*great tourney win

Even without the Duke loss, that was the best basketball game I've seen in years.  Was discussing with a friend and we said the same thing...it looked like Nolan's team was on the court.

Hire him today!

Sorry man, I guess I am a little edgy since the most important game for Hog bball in a long time is coming up tonight.  I just saw that you didn't quote anybody, and I assumed that you were stating this in general.  As far as not responding to others, it was probably just reading yours after I had already read all the other's responses as well (I gave you a +1 for the snap reaction on my part).

I cant wait until tonight. Usually this is the nervous day but all that media bullish, and dick vitale, and digger stuff has me and I know the team as well fired up to kick some arse tonight. I think we got a great draw

TRUHOG718

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 16, 2007, 10:25:41 am
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 16, 2007, 10:17:10 am
Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 16, 2007, 09:42:30 am*No name coach until yestarday
*great tourney win

Hire him today!

I cant wait until tonight. Usually this is the nervous day but all that media bullish, and dick vitale, and digger stuff has me and I know the team as well fired up to kick some arse tonight. I think we got a great draw

The theme of tonight game will be.....................
THE EMANCIPATION OF MR. WASHINGTON. I think Ill start a thread like that.

Hogtropolis™

Just thought I would bring this back up.  I have been a very strong supporter of Heath, but the effort against USC on Friday night was horrible.  After some more thought on the topic today, I don't see how we could get BG or BS.  In saying that, I think it would be a bad idea to fire Heath unless we had "big name coach" already lined up to take the job.  In the event that Heath leaves for the newly open position at Michigan or a possible job at Iowa, I think a good replacement for Heath would be the Anthony Grant (even though his team lost to Pitt today).  I think fans long for the style of play that he brings to the table.  Just my 2 cents on the subject.

oldbooniehog

Siiiiiiigh.

Why, oh why do so many Hog fans want to hire yet another unproven, up-and-comer who had exactly one good little spark in exactly one NCAA tournament?

Why does this always happen with Hog fans?

oldbooniehog

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 17, 2007, 11:23:17 pm
Siiiiiiigh.

Why, oh why do so many Hog fans want to hire yet another unproven, up-and-comer who had exactly one good little spark in exactly one NCAA tournament?

Why does this always happen with Hog fans?

oldbooniehog
What "proven" coach do you think we have a chance at getting?

oldbooniehog

Billy Gillespie or Bill Self.

Arkansas used to be, only about a decade ago, one of the top three programs in NCAA D-1 basketball.

Does nobody remember that?

Arkansas, during the 1990s, went to three Final Fours and won a National Championship.

Arkansas used to be one of the biggest, most important basketball programs in the nation?

Why do Arkansas fans resort so quickly to the "we can't hire anybody good" mindset?

Why?

Especially with basketball with so much very recent history that proves otherwise?

oldbooniehog

Fayetnam

NO MORE MID MAJOR COACHES OR UP AND COMERS! We have been there and done that! Let them up and come somewhere else. I am tired of seeing Bud Walton half empty! Open up the check book and get a proven coach!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 18, 2007, 12:01:21 am
Billy Gillespie or Bill Self.

Arkansas used to be, only about a decade ago, one of the top three programs in NCAA D-1 basketball.

Does nobody remember that?

Arkansas, during the 1990s, went to three Final Fours and won a National Championship.

Arkansas used to be one of the biggest, most important basketball programs in the nation?

Why do Arkansas fans resort so quickly to the "we can't hire anybody good" mindset?

Why?

Especially with basketball with so much very recent history that proves otherwise?

oldbooniehog
I think you made my point for me with the highlighted statement.  We used to be a top 10 program.  As of right now, we are not.  I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but  I just don't see us getting a big name coach to come here right now.  With that being said, I think this guy would be perfect for the job.  His style of play alone would get people to pack out BWA.

V B Porkers

I see the name Doc Sadler being mentioned. He sure has come a long way since County Line High School. How long has he been a head coach in D-1? I would like to think we could do better because he looks to be an up and comer.

HoopS

I don't think it is that we *want* an up and comer, we just have learned to expect it. 

I believe opine though.  Let's go get us a big time coach.

Kevin

well if you guys want to open the checkbook go offer

Billy donovan 3 million and see if he will take it.

big time guys don't move easy.

that is why a guy like turgeon is a great candidate.  has run a program, with lots of wins.

HoopS

Kevin, I've heard we are prepared to open the checkbook up.  Of course, we still have a coach at this point.

tannerspapa

the thing about VCU was the brand of play. It was a mistake to think Big 10 basketball would "sell" to fans who grew up under nolan's ball. A few of us who remember the heyday of eddie ball, made the adjustment to nolans style. For many it took him winning with it to fully embrace that style, but after we were sold, we have become dedicated converts. Nolans teams were always fun to watch and played HARD. They might lose, but they were bygawd gonna go down swinging and fighting. Stans teams dont seem to show that same emotion, or play with that level of intensity.

The bottom line is it is a philosophical thing. Very similar to the football issue. The fans , or at least IMO a large part of the fanbase wants an uptempo type basketball. In basketball though it isnt about offensive philosophy and half court sets. We want to see a team that can do some of that, but prefers to generate offense off in your face D that forces turnovers, and disrupts the other teams offensive sets. That plays defense like they are on a mission, with pride and intensity that we have seldom seen under SH.

If we saw these things then i think the record would be vastly superior to where it is now. If we get a motion offense type coach who prefers a physical pound it inside game then it will be big disappointment to me regardless of how "big" a name he has.

JMO

alaback

The point that I see being missed is that even Stan Heath can win at Arkansas given the fact that he has been to 2 straight tournaments.  So, even Anthony Grant can win at Arkansas, we don't know if he can win big.  The problem is that we don't want a guy who can just win. We must have a guy that year in year out, losing in the 1st round is not an option.   

Nolan finished the building of an empire in 1994 with a new stadium and title.  The Emporers did a very porr job of passing the torch.  Empty seats at big home games and senior day will not cut it.  Why do you think Alabama paid what they did for Saban? 

We need a big time coach, we know how they are, so it is time to do what it takes.  Anything that needs to be done will pay for itself.