Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Murray State Mafia Comment/Duke Loss Celebration Thread

Started by jbcarol, March 15, 2007, 09:13:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

A joke reapplied from another thread:

What is the difference between the Murray State Mafia and the Mafia that originated in Sicily?

The MSM will have someone send a warning e-mail.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Sorry, seeing Duke get beat on a last second shot makes you giddy.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Lanny

Beautiful night after a Duke loss.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

jbcarol

Good to see that from The Administrator :)

Lanny

Duke is in my Top Five of most hated sports teams.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

madjudge

It is my most hated college bb team
Quote from: hSv on March 15, 2007, 09:18:42 pm
Duke is in my Top Five of most hated sports teams.

blue

I guess any sports fan hobbled by mediocrity, would hate teams like duke, and ucla, lakers,celtics, 49ers, steelers, and yankees.

jbcarol

Quote from: blue on March 15, 2007, 09:35:04 pm
I guess any sports fan hobbled by mediocrity, would hate teams like duke, and ucla, lakers,celtics, 49ers, steelers, and yankees.

You know I can't find it within me to hate Duke.  I am hobbled by mediocrity and bad judgment.  I guess that's why I'm going to the Hawgs baseball game tomorrow and not Spring Practice.

HawgWyld

Nope. Just sick of hearing all the "Duke hype" that starts before college basketball season and lasts until they get knocked out of the NCAA tournament.

By the way, pulling for the Yankees is rather like rooting for Germany against Poland in 1939...

jbcarol

Quote from: HawgWyld on March 15, 2007, 09:45:43 pm
Nope. Just sick of hearing all the "Duke hype" that starts before college basketball season and lasts until they get knocked out of the NCAA tournament.

By the way, pulling for the Yankees is rather like rooting for Germany against Poland in 1939...

The Avatar did not bring to mind that great analogy did it ?

Broken Trigger

Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 09:13:50 pm
A joke reapplied from another thread:

What is the difference between the Murray State Mafia and the Mafia that originated in Sicily?

The MSM will have someone send a warning e-mail.

My guess was going to be that the real Mafia actually intimidated people, whereas the MSM just invokes laughter.

blue

Ha,ha, I know where you boys are coming from. I can't say I'm a duke or a yankee fan, but I do respect them for their history. I think I will join you to watch the diamond hogs instead of spring practice as well.

HawgWyld

Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 09:48:12 pm

Well, that and the fact that's what my uncle (an Orioles fan) always said to my father and grandfather (Yankees fans).

Here's a staggering statistic for you -- the Yankees have won the World Series around 25 percent of the time since it was started. And, they've appeared in the World Series far more often than that. So, statistically you've got a 1 in 4 chance of the Yankees not only appearing in the World Series, but winning the thing.

Of course, I'm not a baseball fan -- I root for Pittsburgh ;)

jbcarol

HawgWyld

Quote from: blue on March 15, 2007, 09:51:57 pm
Ha,ha, I know where you boys are coming from. I can't say I'm a duke or a yankee fan, but I do respect them for their history. I think I will join you to watch the diamond hogs instead of spring practice as well.
And, I certainly respect the Yankees for what they've achieved over the years. Hell, they've played within the rules and have managed to be more successful than anyone else.

I just flat out hate Duke, however.

jbcarol

Quote from: HawgWyld on March 15, 2007, 09:53:21 pm

Well, that and the fact that's what my uncle (an Orioles fan) always said to my father and grandfather (Yankees fans).

Here's a staggering statistic for you -- the Yankees have won the World Series around 25 percent of the time since it was started. And, they've appeared in the World Series far more often than that. So, statistically you've got a 1 in 4 chance of the Yankees not only appearing in the World Series, but winning the thing.

Does Bill Mazeroski bring back a good memory?

jbcarol

Quote from: HawgWyld on March 15, 2007, 09:54:38 pm
And, I certainly respect the Yankees for what they've achieved over the years. Hell, they've played within the rules and have managed to be more successful than anyone else.

The Duke lacrosse team had a better post season record than their roundball counterparts.

HawgWyld

Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 09:55:21 pm

Does Bill Mazeroski bring back a good memory?
He does, but only because half the fun of baseball is knowing some of the history of the game. I am too young to have seen him play. One of the rare Pittsburgh World Series wins came in 1971 when I was but a lad of two-years-old. I watched the 1979 World Series, of course, and I can't believe it's been 28 years since the Bucs won a series. And, let's see, Pittsburgh is gearing up for its 15th rotten season in a row, I'm afraid.

I actually start following the Cardinals when the Pirates are mathematically eliminated from the world series (about April or May of every year).

HawgWyld

Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 09:57:49 pm
Quote from: HawgWyld on March 15, 2007, 09:54:38 pm

The Duke lacrosse team had a better post season record than their roundball counterparts.
Heh. I thought they were under a two year "rape cloud" that was going to hurt their performance ;)

jbcarol

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 15, 2007, 10:06:25 pm

It's one thing being a Cubs fan.  They usually lose those 7-6 or 4-3 heartbreakers.  But good grief, it's another thing to root for the Pirates.  They are usually lucky to just score a run.

Pete Rose said he bet against the Pirates every game they played.  I don't know if I trust him though.

HawgWyld

It's one thing being a Cubs fan.  They usually lose those 7-6 or 4-3 heartbreakers.  But good grief, it's another thing to root for the Pirates.  They are usually lucky to just score a run.
From my point of view, there's not a whole lot of difference. Both clubs just plain suck and they have for years. At least one team has been to the World Series in my lifetime, however.

jbcarol

Does Steve Bartman still take the Wisconsin bypass around Chicago ?

jbcarol

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 15, 2007, 10:10:07 pm
I have been a Pirates fan since they Beat the Baltimore Orioles in 1979.  They have sucked ever since.

Willy Stargille, Dave Parker, Kent Tekovie, John " The Candy Man " Candilaria (sp)

We are Family was the theme song. 

You got Dave Parker right.  Glad you didn't take a cut at "Sister Sledge"  :)

HawgWyld

Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:09:18 pm
That raises a good question -- what the hell ever happened to that guy?

jbcarol

Quote from: HawgWyld on March 15, 2007, 10:12:04 pm

Which brings us full circle to the topic of this thread ?

HawgWyld

I have been a Pirates fan since they Beat the Baltimore Orioles in 1979.  They have sucked ever since.

Willy Stargille, Dave Parker, Kent Tekovie, John " The Candy Man " Candilaria (sp)

Ah, I remember the "We are Family" days well (complete with stovepipe hats and everything).

Pittsburgh made a run in the early 1990s, but the team just fell to pieces due to free agency after the 1992 season (another reason to hate Barry Bonds).

jbcarol

And again.  A good Duke last second loss is good medicine.

HawgWyld

Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:12:55 pm

Heh. That's it! The Murray State Mafia sent Steve Bartman a nasty e-mail (perhaps they were getting some practice in before football season).

jbcarol

Quote from: HawgWyld on March 15, 2007, 10:13:38 pm

Ah, I remember the "We are Family" days well (complete with stovepipe hats and everything).

Pittsburgh made a run in the early 1990s, but the team just fell to pieces due to free agency after the 1992 season (another reason to hate Barry Bonds).

I didn't know if it was just me, but didn't it look like Barry really packed on a few pounds after he left Pittsburgh.  Must have been the great eats on the Wharf.

jbcarol

Quote from: HawgWyld on March 15, 2007, 10:15:25 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:12:55 pm

Heh. That's it! The Murray State Mafia sent Steve Bartman a nasty e-mail (perhaps they were getting some practice in before football season).

Rod should have sent him the jersey from your Avatar.

HawgWyld

Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:15:37 pm
I didn't know if it was just me, but didn't it look like Barry really packed on a few pounds after he left Pittsburgh.  Must have been the great eats on the Wharf.
There is that, and the fact he was more full of steroids than a Tyson's chicken ;)

HawgWyld

Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:16:27 pm
Rod should have sent him the jersey from your Avatar.
Rod Smart should have sent *me* that jersey. That's one of the funniest things in the world of sports I've seen.

jbcarol

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 15, 2007, 10:14:24 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:11:31 pm

I got Willy, Kent, John, and The Candy Man right too.  Why would I take a cut at Sista Sledge?  Heck, I still have stars on my hat.

I meant the spelling (as if that matters).  You need players whose names are not easy to spell if you are going to win in Pittsburgh.  You did straigten me out.  It's Sista Sledge.

jbcarol

Of course if you are the Head Basketball Coach at Duke ...

jbcarol

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 15, 2007, 10:19:26 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:15:37 pm
Quote from: HawgWyld on March 15, 2007, 10:13:38 pm

They said on Sportscenter he went from 42 to 52 size jersey.  That's mindboggling but you might say...we'll okay it happens, folks get bigger. 

Then they said his hat size went from 7 1/8 to 7 1/4.  Not sure how your forehead gets bigger, but you might say...we'll okay it happens, folks get bigger. 

Finally, his shoe size went from 10 1/2 to 13.  Hold up!!!

Those weren't vitamins.  Those were horse steroids.

Size 10.5 to Size 13.  That guy was Gellin'

jbcarol

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 15, 2007, 10:20:36 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:19:12 pm
Quote from: hogapalooza on March 15, 2007, 10:14:24 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:11:31 pm

I got Willy, Kent, John, and The Candy Man right too.  Why would I take a cut at Sista Sledge?  Heck, I still have stars on my hat.

I meant the spelling (as if that matters).  You need players whose names are not easy to spell if you are going to win in Pittsburgh.  You did straigten me out.  It's Sista Sledge.
Yeah spell check sucks on names.  So do I.

It is a great memory.  I think Tekulve was still pitching for the Reds last year.

jbcarol

Let that be a lesson to young kids trying to throw that breaking stuff.

jbcarol

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 15, 2007, 10:37:52 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on March 15, 2007, 10:31:51 pm
Let that be a lesson to young kids trying to throw that breaking stuff.
I like the knuckle style.

Start every third game or 80+ games a year in relief.

Mr. Hog

I'm just tired of how dominating they have been over the years.
Go Hogs Go!

Golfer

Spring practice will resume after spring break, so you couldn't watch spring practice tomorrow if you wanted, since they are not practicing. lol

jbcarol

Quote from: Golfer on March 15, 2007, 10:48:03 pm

Spring practice will resume after spring break, so you couldn't watch spring practice tomorrow if you wanted, since they are not practicing. lol

I don't think they will let me in after spring break.  (If you are going to be a winner why are you taking a spring break? :))  I am still welcome at Cliff Hagan field though.  That's where we'll be.

slopinhogs

i came home from college after my freshman year and my dad asked how my neck got so big in one year . i said.swelling.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

jbcarol

Quote from: slopinhogs on March 15, 2007, 10:51:04 pm
i came home from college after my freshman year and my dad asked how my neck got so big in one year . i said.swelling.

:)  You didn't get ahold of any of that tainted deer meat did you.  That can throw a false positive.

beansandtaters

you forgot the cowboys

jbcarol

Coach K just said that part of being successful is that sometimes you get your butt kicked.  And tonite we got our butt kicked.

momahog

The MSM are a bunch of unimposing wimps, they couldn't realisticially scare
you're little sister,  they just still apparently have dumb & dumber fooled.

bigyellowdog

jbcarol

Quote from: momahog on March 16, 2007, 01:27:57 am
The MSM are a bunch of unimposing wimps, they couldn't realisticially scare
you're little sister,  they just still apparently have dumb & dumber fooled.

They don't get their hands dirty.  They have people.

They are proficient at mismanaging one whale of a collection of college football talent that was assembled in one place at one time.  And as of reports last nite and this morning, now the last dissenter, ESPN finally agrees.  "A big mess they've got down thar."

jbcarol

ESPN reports that MM got his ticket to fly to USC and attend the Spring Game.  It was on the "Coors Light, Silver Bullet Train, Cold Hard Facts".  Didn't mention if it was round trip or one way.

hoggystyle78

I absolutely loved seeing Duke get beat, I bet Vitale was in tears BABY! Oh by the way, the Yankees suck!!!