Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why as Arkansas never got to host an NCAA Regional

Started by JDW-20, March 15, 2007, 07:32:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JDW-20

Could Fayettville ever host the first two rounds or a regional?  I don't see why not with all the hotels in NWA.

razorhog3

March 15, 2007, 07:34:40 pm #1 Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:41:29 pm by razorhog3
NOPE!.....NOT ENOUGH HOTELS WITHIN A PARTICULAR RADIUS...FAYETTEVILLE DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH BY ITSELF TO MEET THE CRITERIA. THE HOTELS IN BENTONVILLE/ROGERS AREN'T TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO FAR AWAY FROM THE ARENA.

sooieet

Also, if it were a host site the Hogs couldn't play there, because a team isn't allowed to play first round games on it's home court.  Since Alltel is not their normal home court, they could end up in NLR next year thoug. 

The Marmot

Quote from: razorhog3 on March 15, 2007, 07:34:40 pm
NOPE!.....NOT ENOUGH HOTELS WITHIN A PARTICULAR RADIUS...FAYETTEVILLE DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH BY ITSELF TO MEET THE CRITERIA. THE HOTELS IN BENTONVILLE/ROGERS AREN'T TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO FAR AWAY FROM THE ARENA.

Man, that was loud... correct though. We should be able to accomodate one in a few years... there are like 1900 hotel rooms planned in NWA in the next year alone.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Trottsky

Yeh, what about Alltel? They've hosted the women's SEC and I think an NCAA women's regional? Would it work for the men's NCAA?

The Marmot

Quote from: Trottsky on March 15, 2007, 07:49:47 pm
Yeh, what about Alltel? They've hosted the women's SEC and I think an NCAA women's regional? Would it work for the men's NCAA?

Its hosting regionals next year.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

jbcarol

Discussed in depth in a thread last weekend.  Big headache/hassle.  Will the local folks come out?(hopefully the Hawgs are playing somewhere else and are on TV) 

I think you would have less hassle if a bunch of bikers descended on Fayetteville.  Crafters are another story.  Those craft fair visitors are demanding.

While we are on the topic, make sure to schedule the craft fairs the same weekend in October as the Auburn game this year.  We love trying to find a place in Ft. Smith, Joplin, Harrison, Eureka Springs or Tulsa.  Tulsa?  That's not a bad idea.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Grizzlehog

On the hotel thing: I'm pretty sure the hotels are supposed to be full-service types.  I doubt if a few new Super 8's would count. 

mhsbc59

Just wonding i dont know if we have but i think BWA would be an awsome place for one.  They are always in Kentucy, Kansas, Duke, Memphis why not IN BWA
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

mhsbc59

Come on now Nutt doesnt prevent CBS from coming to the best college arena in America for March Maddness
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

HoopS

Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 15, 2007, 09:31:27 pm
Come on now Nutt doesnt prevent CBS from come to the best college arena in America form March Maddness

He prevents the Hogs from going to the BCS.... don't be so sure he doesn't prevent CBS from coming here....

mhsbc59

seem to me it would be an easy sell to get a regional here 1st class facilities, lots of seatseasy access now so why not here

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 15, 2007, 09:38:33 pm
seem to me it would be an easy sell to get a regional here 1st class facilities, lots of seatseasy access now so why not here

Not enough call girls in NWA..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

cubman

The reason I always hear is the lack of enough motel rooms in the area for that many out of staters.

PintailKiller

This is about the 3rd or 4th thread on this subject - Fayetteville does not have enough hotels and Rogers/ Bville are considered too far away for that purpose.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

HawgWyld

Quote from: cubman on March 15, 2007, 09:41:02 pm
  The reason I always hear is the lack of enough motel rooms in the area for that many out of staters.
That's as good a reason as any and probably a valid one.

Redzoner

Another factor is the fear of not selling enough tickets. Arkansas cannot play in a regional on-campus. They can play in one in Little Rock.

mhsbc59

ok works for me.. The rest of the worlds loss in book though

mikeirwin

You have to bid to get a regional.
Who is going to put up the money ?
Plus the U of A does not have a big enough SID staff to run one of those things.
Their people are covering their own teams (basketball, track, baseball).

HawgWyld

Quote from: Redzoner on March 15, 2007, 09:43:23 pm
Another factor is the fear of not selling enough tickets. Arkansas cannot play in a regional on-campus. They can play in one in Little Rock.
Why would Little Rock be fine, but not Fayetteville? Lack of hotel rooms and a national airport?

I'm honestly curious...

mhsbc59

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 15, 2007, 09:46:30 pm
Plus the U of A does not have a big enough SID staff to run one of those things.

U cant tell there is not enough money in NWA to get a bid together

SouthpawSensation

The UA sports information department isn't big enough, yet UALR has the SID staff to run one next year?
Something doesn't seem right there.

That seems to be pure hogwash (no pun intended) . There were enough hotel rooms to have sellouts for a 72,000-seat stadium for a football game. It's big enough to have ESPN Gameday here for a Saturday game. There are only two sessions, which has 20,000 people would be 40,000. Something smells.

PintailKiller

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on March 15, 2007, 09:59:39 pm
The UA sports information department isn't big enough, yet UALR has the SID staff to run one next year?

That seems to be pure hogwash (no pun intended) . There were enough hotel rooms to have sellouts for a 72,000-seat stadium for a football game. It's big enough to have ESPN Gameday here for a Saturday game. There are only two sessions, which has 20,000 people would be 40,000. Something smells.

UALR doesn't have to worry about baseball and track and the other spring sports that require coverage at the U of A.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

RandyFromJohnson

March 15, 2007, 10:11:56 pm #24 Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:15:03 pm by RandyFromJohnson

People, the reason is hotels, as has been explained many times and by the NCAA itself. The NCAA requires a certain number of hotels of a certain "stature" to host a regional. Meaning: no Super 8's, Comfort Inns, Sleep Inns are considered. Counting B'ville, F'ville, S'dale, and Rogers there *might* be enough, but the NCAA isn't going to have teams, support staff, media, etc holed up in B'ville and commuting a half-hour (probably more, considering the size of the event) to F'ville. If F'ville could add another couple of premium hotels they might be considered if the city/UA were to bid.

RandyFromJohnson

Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 15, 2007, 09:27:48 pm
Just wonding i dont know if we have but i think BWA would be an awsome place for one.  They are always in Kentucy, Kansas, Duke, Memphis why not IN BWA
I can't ever recall Duke hosting, and it's been YEARS since KU hosted one at Allen Fieldhouse, maybe since we were there in '79 ? UK hosts about every 3 years or so. LR will be hosting 1st and 2nd round games next March.

MCPeePants

That seems to be pure hogwash (no pun intended) . There were enough hotel rooms to have sellouts for a 72,000-seat stadium for a football game.

The vast majority of those 72,000 are in-staters who drive in for the game and drive home the same night though.

SouthpawSensation

March 15, 2007, 10:22:33 pm #27 Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:24:14 pm by SouthpawSensation
Correction: UALR does play baseball and runs track, although it doesn't have the track to host meets.
People in NWA would know that if Arkansas would play them, but that's another story and deserves to be on another thread.

weevilhogg

a 2008 1st - 2nd round is being held at alltel arena, right?
Oh my!

Redzoner

Quote from: HawgWyld on March 15, 2007, 09:47:30 pm
Quote from: Redzoner on March 15, 2007, 09:43:23 pm
Why would Little Rock be fine, but not Fayetteville? Lack of hotel rooms and a national airport?

I'm honestly curious...

Cannot as in the NCAA does not allow it, regardless of hotel rooms, etc. Even if the airport, hotel rooms, SID staff, bid amount, etc. are adequate and a regional was held in BWA, Arkansas cannot play in it.

razrken

I also think you have to have a certain amount of locker rooms in your facility and I don't think BWA has enough.  They also don't hae a river rail trolley system either...that nobody rides.

spehog

Quote from: weevilhogg on March 15, 2007, 10:41:03 pm
a 2008 1st - 2nd round is being held at alltel arena, right?

You would be correct. Hopefully the Hogs will be there too.

Woo Pig.
Woo Pig.

slopinhogs

out of the way place off the interstate and would have trouble houseing that many folks.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

jbcarol

Yeah but they would find a way to schedule the spring craft fair the same weekend.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Don't know this for a fact, but in the 2nd thread on the same subject prior, it was noted by another poster that an on-campus arena cannot be used.  That would make it "academic".

I checked the Media guide and no on campus arena was listed as host for any round through 2010.  Unless the "Taco Bell Arena" in Boise, Idaho is on campus.  I wonder if the drive thru is still open.

mikeirwin

An on campus arena can be used but the team that plays there cannot be at that tournament site.
Take 1995 for instance. The Hogs played in Austin. Texas was somewhere out west. I ate in a bar the night before the Arkansas game. Texas was playing on the big screen at the bar and none of the locals were paying any attention to the game. They did come to the Arkansas game in great numbers however to cheer for Texas Southern and to boo Arkansas.

Killean

Fayetteville just lacks the infrastructure (hotel rooms, airport etc.) to host it, while Little Rock does not.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Hogchick

The UALR SID/athletic staff is going to have no problems covering is so why would the U of A?

Can't wait for the rounds next year in North Little Rock.

PintailKiller

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on March 15, 2007, 10:22:33 pm
Correction: UALR does play baseball and runs track, although it doesn't have the track to host meets.
People in NWA would know that if Arkansas would play them, but that's another story and deserves to be on another thread.

I didn't say they DIDN"T play baseball or run track.  I said they don't have the media coverage that the U of A has.  UALR is lucky to even get a mention of a baseball score in the paper or on the news, much less show highlights( TV stations here show highlights once a month or so).

Hoggy Potter

When do tickets go on sale for next years tourny? 
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

jbcarol

March 16, 2007, 07:04:57 am #40 Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 07:06:37 am by jbcarol
Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 15, 2007, 09:27:48 pm

You know Kentucky has reduced their frequency of hosting, since the host sites were forbidden from hosting the home school.  Pain in the neck factor noted above.  They will increase frequency as Louisville builds a new arena off-campus.  (but close to campus).  This will allow Lexington to host UofL and Louisville to host UofK.  The North Carolina strategy. 

It seems like Duke hosts a lot.  Their arena lacks capacity.   They usually open (and like this year quickly exit) the tournament at another city in North Carolina which always seems to get a Tournament site.  North Carolina got the honor of staying in state this year being a #1 seed.

North Little Rock should become UofA's ace in the hole for location preference.  But that's next year.

razorrog1

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 16, 2007, 12:19:52 am
An on campus arena can be used but the team that plays there cannot be at that tournament site.
Take 1995 for instance. The Hogs played in Austin. Texas was somewhere out west. I ate in a bar the night before the Arkansas game. Texas was playing on the big screen at the bar and none of the locals were paying any attention to the game. They did come to the Arkansas game in great numbers however to cheer for Texas Southern and to boo Arkansas.
Oh, to be good enough to be hated by someone else..... 

jbcarol

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 16, 2007, 12:19:52 am

Thanks for the clarification.  If not prohibited from doing so, then it appears attractive host sites on-campus have counted the cost and said, it's not worth the hassle, nationwide.

joeyself

Quote from: RandyFromJohnson on March 15, 2007, 10:11:56 pm

People, the reason is hotels, as has been explained many times and by the NCAA itself. The NCAA requires a certain number of hotels of a certain "stature" to host a regional. Meaning: no Super 8's, Comfort Inns, Sleep Inns are considered. Counting B'ville, F'ville, S'dale, and Rogers there *might* be enough, but the NCAA isn't going to have teams, support staff, media, etc holed up in B'ville and commuting a half-hour (probably more, considering the size of the event) to F'ville. If F'ville could add another couple of premium hotels they might be considered if the city/UA were to bid.

What, a Super 8 or a Comfort Inn is good enough for me but not those with the NCAA?

Let 'em sleep in an RV.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

jbcarol

Quote from: joeyself on March 16, 2007, 07:21:45 am
Quote from: RandyFromJohnson on March 15, 2007, 10:11:56 pm

What, a Super 8 or a Comfort Inn is good enough for me but not those with the NCAA?

Let 'em sleep in an RV.

JcS

You can bet my little one room flat one mile from Rupp Arena was up for time sharing when Lexington hosted the Final Four in 1985.

LoseAnutt

Geesh do you guys not watch the news other than ESPN? Alltel Arena is hosting the 1st and 2nd rounds of the NCAA tournament next March. The Little Rock Metro will be the smallest Metro area to host the tournament next year, so of course Fayetteville would be completely out of the question. The biggest problem Little Rock/North Little Rock has had in the past is a lack of hotel rooms.

Silver Hog

Quote from: HoopSlap on March 15, 2007, 09:34:10 pm
Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 15, 2007, 09:31:27 pm
Come on now Nutt doesnt prevent CBS from come to the best college arena in America form March Maddness

He prevents the Hogs from going to the BCS.... don't be so sure he doesn't prevent CBS from coming here....
Danng that is a great one!  Zing buddy!

HogNuttz

Not enough bars for Huggins.

Oh wait, he's in the NIT so that can't be it.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

mword

stormurr

Just think there would be too much going on with the U of A teams...all sports and the University would be spread too thin.  I do however think that Little Rock Alltel would be perfect.  More hotels, entire staff for that event, and more population to pull from along with being in the central part of of the state.  I would go to one in Bud Walton before I would Little Rock just due to the fact that I live closer to the Hill.