Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why the interest in Tulsa and Gus Malzahn?

Started by taoteching, March 14, 2007, 05:35:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutts and Bolts

Quote from: taoteching on March 14, 2007, 05:35:11 pm
First, let me say that I agree that any head coach has the right and privilege of hiring anybody who he wants. Period.  I feel that every head coach is responsible for the team's performance and should direct the offense, defense, and anything else.  He must do what he feels is best for the team.  If Houston Nutt wanted to bring in David Lee, that is his privilege of being head coach.  In this case, Gus Malzahn wanted to be the offensive coordinator and Houston Nutt wanted something else. Period.  Gus went to Tulsa because he felt like he could run the offense as he wanted. Houston and Gus are both in a situation where they are more comfortable.  I personally understand and hope everybody does well.

Second, I will follow all aspects of Razorback sports and they are first in my heart.  I sincerely hope the Razorbacks do very well.  They should. 

However, Guz Malzahn has a rare opportunity at Tulsa.  The head coach at Tulsa is defense oriented and wants Gus to take charge of the offense.  The Tulsa team is returning a very good quarterback. The Tulsa team should be very good even without Gus Malzahn. 

Gus Malzahn has a proven record of running the HUNH offense.  Texas Tech and several other schools are using a version of the HUNH.  It will be very interesting to see how well Gus Malzahn does with the HUNH at Tulsa.

I am making this post because I am a sports fan.  I think Arkansas should have a good season next year if key players do well and stay heathy.  I am excited about the seeing Daren McFaddin make a run for Heisman.  And....I don't see anything wrong with following the progress of the Tulsa team.

Wow, you're new here aren't you?  Take you seat in the back of the class. Yea, right back there... Right there next to Dale.
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Shaddox

For me the interest in Tulsa football is due to the fact that Gus is now OC there.

I was attending high school at Shiloh when Gus first arrived, I watched as he built up the Shiloh football team and won the state championships.  I also watched as he did that same thing at Springdale High.  I always watched with fascination at his offensive prowess.  So when Gus was named OC at the UofA, I was very thrilled to watch to see what he could do at the college level.  But I was frustrated at what I and many other people viewed as Gus being "handcuffed" with his play calling.  So now with Gus at Tulsa, I will follow Tulsa football, not because I'm a "Tulsa Fan", but because I enjoy watching someone that I have personally watched coach for the past 11 years.

I will not quit supporting the hogs football team because of this.  I have however become disenchanted with the coaching staff at the UofA and hope for a change in the very near future.  I will not help pay the current coaching staffs salaries buy purchasing tickets next year, but I will always support the players that work so hard every year to provide the razorback nation with entertainment.

Pigmund Freud

Did you hear the crowd about the time the tv commentator was saying"You may be witnessing the start of the Mitch Mustain Era at Arkansas". They were crazy with delight after being starved for 9 years . If they had not known before, Nutt and his worshipers,must have realized at that point the power they were up against with an innovative coach and a 5 star quarterback. It is , at least, legitimate to speculate that their smear machine went into action at that point to remove Gus and the recruits. We should NEVER tolerate the behavior (not to mention performance) of  people like HDN and his entourage at a legitimate , major school , with a storied history like  the U of A. We should rid ourselves of this crew out of our own self respect.

TheHogFan

Amazing how much stock you folks are putting on ONE drive, at the END of a BLOWOUT game. It is possible that his offense was the next great thing in college football but to reference ONE drive as your proof just makes you look foolish.

Pigmund Freud

Quote from: TheHogFan on March 15, 2007, 10:26:52 am
Amazing how much stock you folks are putting on ONE drive, at the END of a BLOWOUT game. It is possible that his offense was the next great thing in college football but to reference ONE drive as your proof just makes you look foolish.

I've been called worse than foolish. I am not, however, blind to the mediocrity of Nutt's football skills nor the ease with which he manipulates some Hog Fans who do not require much of an effort or good character from him.

31to6

It's not proof, it's sadness. I am sad that we never gave a modern, innovative offense a chance.

If we had been perfecting HUNH / spread during our early season and cupcake wins we might have been in a position to win against LSU, FL and Wisc and we might have TWO Heisman candidates on the team. One for next year and one for '09.

HoggieStyle

The answer to the original question is this:

Some of us are interested in what Gus does from this point forward because we would have liked to have seen what could have been. We are interested in Tulsa because that's where Gus is now and because the head coach at Tulsa subscribes to the HUNH philosophy. (Note: PHILOSOPHY, not "playbook")

If I'm being honest, I have to add to this that I want the opportunity to come back and say "Look, all ye Huggers, and behold what is come to pass" as Tulsa becomes a force in their conference because gus was allowed to do what he should have been allowed to do here at Arkansas. Yeah, if I'm being honest, I want to rub some people's noses in it. Does it matter? No.

We the fans were misled, as was Coach Malzahn. I want payback. That's as honest as I can be.

LilRounDevil

An interest in Tulsa and Gus is good for all of us.  It will help reduce the friction on the board between the supporters of Coach Nutt and his detractors. And anything that reduces that friction will help us be kind to one another and become one fan base dedicated to good sportsmanship.

Stella

Quote from: Porkerpower on March 15, 2007, 09:02:06 am
If Malzahn was a stock, I for one would be all over it, as with many others on here.

He's dripping with class and integrity, to traits the UA is desperate for. 

It's no big deal for Gus and Hooston to not "click".  Expected really.  That's a compliment to Gus for all of you Huggers.

The Nutt regime is in its twilight, not long for the history books.  Some of us wish it was tomorrow.  But it'll be very soon.

Empty seats will speak volumes this fall.  Boo birds will sing from the mountaintops.  Nutt will walk out on his own.  The fans will speak and finally be heard.

It's all coming this fall.  Be patient.

Yeah, it Nutt was a stock, I would be shorting it!

hoghearted

Geez, I watched that video, and I wanted to cry. What could have been.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hogfan47

First, let me say that I agree that any head coach has the right and privilege of hiring anybody who he wants. Period.  I feel that every head coach is responsible for the team's performance and should direct the offense, defense, and anything else.  He must do what he feels is best for the team.  If Houston Nutt wanted to bring in David Lee, that is his privilege of being head coach.  In this case, Gus Malzahn wanted to be the offensive coordinator and Houston Nutt wanted something else. Period.  Gus went to Tulsa because he felt like he could run the offense as he wanted. Houston and Gus are both in a situation where they are more comfortable.  I personally understand and hope everybody does well.

Second, I will follow all aspects of Razorback sports and they are first in my heart.  I sincerely hope the Razorbacks do very well.  They should. 

However, Guz Malzahn has a rare opportunity at Tulsa.  The head coach at Tulsa is defense oriented and wants Gus to take charge of the offense.  The Tulsa team is returning a very good quarterback. The Tulsa team should be very good even without Gus Malzahn. 

Gus Malzahn has a proven record of running the HUNH offense.  Texas Tech and several other schools are using a version of the HUNH.  It will be very interesting to see how well Gus Malzahn does with the HUNH at Tulsa.

I am making this post because I am a sports fan.  I think Arkansas should have a good season next year if key players do well and stay heathy.  I am excited about the seeing Daren McFaddin make a run for Heisman.  And....I don't see anything wrong with following the progress of the Tulsa team.

no interest what so ever here
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

LSPRazorbac

My opinion:  I'm a Razorback Fan.  I don't care if a assistant coach goes elswhere, I'm sticking with the hogs. 

Switching teams because a coach takes a job somewhere else and a couple players transfer=Fair-weather fan

Hog Fan 51

Quote from: Since 1894 on March 14, 2007, 05:49:33 pm
Because we will always wonder,

"What could have been"

You called that play brother!
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

dirtydoghog

Quote from: wdremington on March 14, 2007, 07:55:21 pm
Quote from: pignation on March 14, 2007, 06:30:46 pm
Yes...we ran it when the scrubs were in...never got to see it against everyone else.  Wished we could have seen if it was worthwhile or not.  But, I'm not about to say it was great when it was in the last 3 minutes of an incredibly lopsided game.
USC's scrubs are faster and more talented than alot of teams starters.

Yes, we can't read too much into it's success on that one drive. But I guarantee you if that drive had been 3 and out or an interception and we'd have heard about it non-stop.

LOL, Yeah that INT you speak of was the very next drive!

TheHogFan

Quote from: Pigmund Freud on March 15, 2007, 10:59:29 am

I've been called worse than foolish. I am not, however, blind to the mediocrity of Nutt's football skills nor the ease with which he manipulates some Hog Fans who do not require much of an effort or good character from him.
That has nothing to do with my comment.

Fayetnam

Great Post Taoteching!!!!!! Many people were mis-informed about the HUNH offense. When it's clicking, it's a thing of beauty....but I GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Fayetnam on March 14, 2007, 05:43:17 pm
OK! Lets get this right. What Gus runs and what Texas Tech runs is NOT THE SAME OFFENSE! So many people say that and don't know the facts. Texas Tech run a pass happy offense....a version of the run and shoot! Gus runs a Hurry Up but bases each drive on what the defense give him. I have officiated Gus 7 times in four years and have seen him run the ball 9 straight time with Clinkscale when the opposing team had 7 d'backs! Then when the team adjusted and put in the line backers and went with 4 d'backs, he passes until the team adjusted again. Gus takes what the D gives him. Texas Tech passes....passes.....passes. BIG BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is absolutely right....two similar but different offenses. With T. Tech, for the most part, their pass offense IS their RUN offense(little short passes attempting to get the backs isolated in one on one situations) as well as being their passing offense at the same time. The HUNH "Spread" is a bit different and does offer the opportunity to take MORE advantage of what the defense gives you. Good post and well spoken.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

Silver Hog

Quote from: hoghearted on March 15, 2007, 02:09:26 pm
Geez, I watched that video, and I wanted to cry. What could have been.
That happens a lot. We almost have to stop watching it. And just pray that Gus comes back as HC very soon!

jbcarol

Quote from: Fayetnam on March 15, 2007, 04:31:49 pm
Great Post Taoteching!!!!!! Many people were mis-informed about the HUNH offense. When it's clicking, it's a thing of beauty....but I GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest a Gold Pass Ticket Package and a Pike Pass for the Oklahoma autobahn.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DaniHog

Because it's a program with GREAT TRADITION...GREAT ACADEMICS...and painted yellow bleacher seats...you can see a QUICK TRIP (convenience store) from the good seats.  PRIME TIME!