Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the NO-Huddle the Offence of the future?

Started by mcb, March 13, 2007, 03:01:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mcb

If TU is susseccful with the NO-Huddle will other D1 schools start using it?

okiehawg

Quote from: mcb on March 13, 2007, 03:01:24 pm

There already are other D-1 schools using.  Houston for example has been using it for at least 4 years, maybe more than that. 

TheNuttlessFrontier

Tennessee is planning on implementing it into their system.

pork-e-pine

No,
The no huddle is just one offense that can be effective (or not if you talk to FB's experts).  Some coaches will always like a more ball control type of offense that tries to reduce the number of plays instead of increase it.  But I think that we will see some more teams start the no huddle.

It seems particularly attractive to teams like texas tech and hawaii who are behind the 8-ball in recruiting. Running a "fun" offense can bring in players who would otherwise go to a school with a more traditional offense.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

okiehawg

Quote from: pork-e-pine on March 13, 2007, 03:05:17 pm
No,
The no huddle is just one offense that can be effective (or not if you talk to FB's experts).  Some coaches will always like a more ball control type of offense that tries to reduce the number of plays instead of increase it.  But I think that we will see some more teams start the no huddle.

It seems particularly attractive to teams like texas tech and hawaii who are behind the 8-ball in recruiting. Running a "fun" offense can bring in players who would otherwise go to a school with a more traditional offense.

And, preparing for the No-Huddle in only one week can drive a coach crazy! 

mcb

Do schools have the bench to run the two min. drill the whole game? HS games are a lot shorter.

pork-e-pine

Quote from: mcb on March 13, 2007, 03:16:52 pm
Do schools have the bench to run the two min. drill the whole game? HS games are a lot shorter.

Schools that want to will recruit accordingly.  I think that they will tend to have better depth because if they are subbing out and more plays are being run then people will be more willing to come and back up in that system.  But think of a school like USC.  They have 3 teams worth of starters so they can run it with no problems.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

razorpimp

No.....Boomer Esiason and the Bengals used it almost 20 years ago....and it still hasn't caught on.  Nice for high school where players are confused and can be effective in college at times.

razornole

will see it some against Tinner and either this year or next when we play TU in the Liberty bowl *spit*
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

hogsanity

The HUNH IS NOT AN OFFENSE!  It is simply another way to run whatever offense you have.  You can run the freaking wishbone out of it.  You can run the Dead T ( which many many many Ar Hs coaches are still in love with by the way ) out of it.  You can run a 5 wide throw it every down out of it.  Gasp, you can even run the I out of it. 

IMO, a team that is sucessful with the HUNH would have been succssful running their offense in a conventional style.  No matter what or how you try to move the ball, if you have the players to do it, you will suceed, if you dont you wont.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sao Ming

Sanity is right.

And before anyone yaps about the Colts winning a Super Bowl with it keep in mind they ran a grand total of 7 NH plays out of 82 to do so. 

mcb

So most people so far agree that the HUNH would not work in the PRO'S. and would only work at the college level as part of the offence. All agree that the HUNH is running any play with no-huddle. That is what we did with the wildcat Plays. And so GM saying we only ran the HUNH one time was not correct. Unless he only refers to it as the HUNH when MM is the QB. Maybe!
The closest thing to it last year was a drive we had against USC when Mitch came in," Malzahn said. "That was pretty much it.     http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10043201.";

And if FB told HN not to run the HUNH anymore HN did it anyway.

(By his own admission JFB concluded that it would not work. I'm told that he torpedoed it and Nutt certainly didn't argue with him about it. So they never ran it again. Quot by Mike I.)

d1nonlyhogfan

Yes. And another prediction: The I-formation will still not be successful in college football on a large scale in the future.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Full-Tilt-Porker

Nope, the wing t is the future.  All this passing stuff is way overrated.  3 yards and a cloud of dust is were it's at.........ask our coach, he will tell ya! ;)

hawgaramus

I think teams in smaller conferences will run it a lot.  It gives the fans something to watch on the field.  It also gives them a better chance against the power conference teams where their is a huge gap in talent.

In the power conferences I think you might see teams run it when they have an experienced QB who can make reads at the line, but I don't think it is going to be a common thing. 

hawgaramus

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on March 13, 2007, 04:54:51 pm
Yes. And another prediction: The I-formation will still not be successful in college football on a large scale in the future.

What does the I-formation have to do with the HUNH?  You do know that the HUNH is just a method for running the offense and not an actual formation, don't you?

And it seems like the I-formation has been around long enough and used by enough teams where you can consider it to be successful.

Silver Hog

I doubt it will be the offense of the future, but it sure is fun to watch when it is used.

redbarn

The only way the HUNH will work is if you have a great pass oriented coach such as Houston Nutt having his great OC and quarterback coaches concentrating on developing their players into such a balanced offense that no defense can keep up with what you are doing................dang...........must have been sleep typing again.  Was having this dream that HDN had changed into a Steve Spurrier type coach and Arkansas was no longer a mediocre team.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

redbarn

Seriously, If you  recruit the right type of players there is no reason the HUNH would not work.  If you think about it a little bit, it keeps the defense off balance AND bigger yet, the defense can't get properly set to defend whatever play it is.  Timing is everything in the game of football and you take the timing away from the defense and you have cut their ability by half........all in my humble opinion of course.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

djgaffer

Quote from: redbarn on March 13, 2007, 06:02:49 pm
Seriously, If you  recruit the right type of players there is no reason the HUNH would not work.  If you think about it a little bit, it keeps the defense off balance AND bigger yet, the defense can't get properly set to defend whatever play it is.  Timing is everything in the game of football and you take the timing away from the defense and you have cut their ability by half........all in my humble opinion of course.

I understand the theory here, but I don't remember the last time I saw a defense use a huddle.  Virtually every program looks to the sidelines from their formation for the defensive signals.  Essentially, defenses have been running the no huddle for years. 

There are some advantages, particularly if you have a matchup that is in your favor.  The no-huddle doesn't allow a defense to substitute without risk.  But I doubt a great deal of additional preparation is needed to go against a no huddle any more.  I think it's now more of just a philosophy that you choose to play with benefits and detriments. 

hoopitup3

Sorry to burst anyones bubble, but Malzahn didn't invent the No Huddle. He just runs it well...

mcb

March 13, 2007, 07:58:39 pm #21 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 08:03:15 pm by mcb
If you are held to pass, pass, pass and punt. With on huddle's the other team would get the ball back quicker and have more of a Chance to win the game. Like what happend at the end of the LSU game. There is no clock management!

HogsSon46

Gus runs the No-Huddle So its got to be the future! Come on guy, he wrote a BOOK! :puke:

Go Hogs

turbo2000

Quote from: Full-Tilt-Porker on March 13, 2007, 04:58:45 pm
Nope, the wing t is the future.  All this passing stuff is way overrated.  3 yards and a cloud of dust is were it's at.........ask our coach, he will tell ya! ;)

Which coach, Nutt or Broyles?

mcb

March 13, 2007, 09:00:44 pm #24 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:06:11 pm by mcb
We have seen it and not just one time like GM is saying. That looks a little funny to me that he uses the one drive that MM was involved in to push his no Huddle jig when he also says  later in the some article that you can run any play out of the HUNH. That is what we did with the wildcat. What schools is he going to use the HUNH Jig on after TU see it wont work as a full time O. I belive GM is a good coach but he step out of the box on this article.

hogzirra

Quote from: okiehawg on March 13, 2007, 03:02:56 pm

There already are other D-1 schools using.  Houston for example has been using it for at least 4 years, maybe more than that. 

Someone may have mentioned it already but the coach at Houston came from a multi state championship program he had built at Stephenville high school in West Texas.  He too brought his star quarterback with him and implemented the spread.  He has a bit different style than GM but the offense has been proven pretty effective on both levels.
"The smell of fat chicks throws my spine out of place"

-David Bowie

Calling All Hogs

Arkansas rans the NO Real Offensive Coordinator Offense. Keep teams off balance because they can't believe you really only run 5 plays and have no passing game.

liferedeemed

Surprised to see so many "experts" on Gus' HUNH when all they know is the title of the system.  Buy and read the book.  Then comment.

liferedeemed

Talking about Gus' Hurry-Up No Huddle

I have a feeling that it will be significant.  It changes the pace of the game.  The opponents players have to be conditioned for it or you are going to run them to death.  When their conditioning gives in, the game strategy moves in your favor.

Just like the spread makes the opposing team play the entire field.  The HUNH stretches the opposing teams conditioning.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: pork-e-pine on March 13, 2007, 03:05:17 pm
No,

thats money
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

mcb

March 13, 2007, 09:31:26 pm #30 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:40:46 pm by mcb
Oh no I sound like one of the talking heads on ESPN.

Thank YOU!

mcb

Quote from: liferedeemed on March 13, 2007, 09:17:09 pm
Surprised to see so many "experts" on Gus' HUNH when all they know is the title of the system.  Buy and read the book.  Then comment.

Did he have any running plays in the book or was it all pass plays?

dmac_iz_kin

March 13, 2007, 09:43:09 pm #32 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:46:08 pm by dmac_iz_kin
[
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

mcb

Sound like we need a new recevers coach at Ark.

slopinhogs

if va tech and Boise and Florida can run it and win  big games the TU will be sucessful at it also

not us though because we don't have the right QB for it. anymore.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

mcb

I did not have the chance to see the HUNH run at SDHS. What was the % of passing to the % of running per game?

mikeirwin

Quote from: mcb on March 13, 2007, 04:49:25 pm
So most people so far agree that the HUNH would not work in the PRO'S. and would only work at the college level as part of the offence. All agree that the HUNH is running any play with no-huddle. That is what we did with the wildcat Plays. And so GM saying we only ran the HUNH one time was not correct. Unless he only refers to it as the HUNH when MM is the QB. Maybe!
The closest thing to it last year was a drive we had against USC when Mitch came in," Malzahn said. "That was pretty much it.     http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10043201.";

(By his own admission JFB concluded that it would not work. I'm told that he torpedoed it and Nutt certainly didn't argue with him about it. So they never ran it again. Quot by Mike I.)

You left something out. The CBS Sportsline story you are quoting says Gus only ran HIS HUNH once. That's HIS in terms of HIS offense of which the HHNH is only a component.
Clearly Gus was not talking about the Wildcat which to Gus was a package not an offense.

Fayetnam

Damn, I'm confused! I thought Frank Brolyes said it would not work in the SEC?  :o

mcb

Quote from: slopinhogs on March 13, 2007, 09:54:40 pm
if va tech and Boise and Florida can run it and win  big games the TU will be sucessful at it also

[/quote

Do you think thy read GM book?  We not need GM we just need his book or tape. :)

mcb

Quote from: slopinhogs on March 13, 2007, 09:54:40 pm

[/quote

Do you think thy read GM book?  We not need GM we just need his book or tape. :)

mcb

IF FB has been telling HN what Formations to run the last 9 years and FB won't be there to help save his job anymore maybe just maybe this well be a break out season for HN with his O. IF like Mike has gone on record as saying FB told HN what O not to run he must have been telling him what O to run. We have been seeing FB playbook for the last 49 years. This season we will see HN playbook for the first time in 9 years. YES SIR BOSS. We are going to turn Nutt loose. HN and DL have read GM book. FB can't stop the pass now. GO HOGS GO  :) :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:    

mcb

March 13, 2007, 10:56:58 pm #41 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:59:07 pm by mcb
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 13, 2007, 10:02:13 pm
Quote from: mcb on March 13, 2007, 04:49:25 pm
The closest thing to it last year was a drive we had against USC when Mitch came in," Malzahn said. "That was pretty much it.     http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10043201.";

You left something out. The CBS Sportsline story you are quoting says Gus only ran HIS HUNH once. That's HIS in terms of HIS offense of which the HHNH is only a component.
Clearly Gus was not talking about the Wildcat which to Gus was a package not an offense.

It goes back to philosophy; what's your philosophy?" Malzahn said. "A spread, no-huddle is a philosophy. It doesn't make any difference what offense you run. You could run the wishbone, you could run the Wing T."

His team once ran 96 plays in a 48-minute high school game. Huddles aren't even in the playbook. The ball is snapped within five seconds after being put in play.

It is clear that he conceterd any set of plays being run  during a O presseion with out a huddle as part of the HUNH package. Now if he did not come up with the wildcat who did?

mikeirwin

March 13, 2007, 11:09:26 pm #42 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:16:25 pm by mikeirwin
No it is not clear. Gus was talking about HIS offense, the one he ran at SHS in 04 and 05. A spread offense with a HUNH component which Arkansas ran one time the entire season according to Gus.
The Wildcat PACKAGE was run at SHS by Gus. He brought it with him to Arkansas. However as a package it was designed to be used sparingly in RED ZONE, and short yardage situations.
HDN added plays to it, put in a revolving QB feature and ran the fool out of it against Florida in the first half of the SEC championship game. One of Gus's former HS assistants told me there is no way that was Gus's handiwork. He never overused the Wildcat like that.

Joe

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: It WAS the future here at Arkansas, but Nutt messed that up for the time being. Is there anyhting that Nutt has not messed up while he has been selling used cars in the state of Arkansas?
     Did I mention Fire  :puke: Houston Nutt?!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

liferedeemed

Quote from: mcb on March 13, 2007, 09:37:17 pm
Quote from: liferedeemed on March 13, 2007, 09:17:09 pm

Did he have any running plays in the book or was it all pass plays?
It is an entire system.  There are running formations and plays are covered.  It does not focus on passing, but the system.

mcb

The thing is the wildcat was part GM playbook and we ran it.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: mcb on March 13, 2007, 11:24:47 pm
The thing is the wildcat was part GM playbook and we ran it.

Thats like saying because Gus brought in "Woody" (The Reggie Fish sneak play), and if HDN called it 20 times, it would be running Gus' offense. 

No

Gus installed the play, but did not design it to be run like it was.  It was essentially like the play was mutated into an offense by HDN.  Gus never intended it to be an "offense" it was designed to be a play.

liferedeemed

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 13, 2007, 11:09:26 pm
The Wildcat PACKAGE was run at SHS by Gus. He brought it with him to Arkansas. However as a package it was designed to be used sparingly in RED ZONE, and short yardage situations.
<sarcasm>I thought D-Nutt invented it.</sarcasm>

razorback45

Is there anyone in this bunch of know it all's that have ever even coached or played in a college game?
!!!!!!!!!!Love Those Hogs !!!!!!!!!!

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: razorback45 on March 13, 2007, 11:38:44 pm
Is there anyone in this bunch of know it all's that have ever even coached or played in a college game?

Quite a few, why?

Honestly, i know several on here who are current or past players.  As well as current or past coaches.  HS level and above.

Sorry, you're new.  I just realized.  I took your ignorance for a smart ass.  My mistake.  You just have no idea what your talking about...... not that, thats a bad thing, just stick around.  You will realize there are some very bright individuals here.