Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Score Prediction: #12 Arkansas vs. #5 USC

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 11, 2007, 07:12:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

March 11, 2007, 07:12:55 pm Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:39:24 pm by Hogtropolis™
I'm going to start off with some comparisons of the two teams.

Record Comparisons.
   USC:
      USC has a record of 23-11 overall and 11-7 in conference play with an RPI and SOS of 41 and 43 respectively.  They have ZERO big wins out of conference this year, but have won @Oregon, Arizona, Oregon, @Arizona, and Washington St. in the PAC 10 Tournament (which they made it to the finals and lost to Oregon).  Their key losses are to South Carolina (at home) and @Arizona St. (RPI #220).
   Arkansas:
      We have a record of 21-13 overall and 10-10 in conference play with an RPI and SOS of 34 and 10 respectively.  Our big out of conference wins are SIU and WVU in the Old Spice Classic.  The big wins we have in conference are MSU twice and Vandy twice.  Our key loss is @South Carolina (they are the only loss that we have a team out of the Top 100 in the RPI).

Physical comparisons.
   USC:
      USC's 5 starters and bulk minute players average a height of 6'5 1/2" with the tallest of those 5 being 6'9" and the shortest being 6'4".  USC also has two guys that are 6'11" that appear to split minutes with both averaging around 13 minutes a game. 
   Arkansas:
      Arkansas's starters average height is 6'3" with the tallest of those 5 being Hill at 7'0" and the shortest being Ervin at 6'0".  From looking at this, our big guys seem to have a size advantage, but their guards are quite a bit bigger than ours.

Statistical comparisons.
   USC:
       USC is averaging 71.4 points per game and allowing only 65.0 points per game.  They are averaging 34.0 rebounds per game, have a 1/1.1 assist to turnover ratio and are averaging 3.9 blocks per game.  Their shooting percentages are 48% FG, 71% FT, and 40% 3PT (the 3PT shooting percentage scares me).
   Arkansas:
      Interesting enough,  Arkansas is also averaging 71.4 points per game and are allowing 65.7 points per game.  We are averaging 35.5 rebounds per game, have a 1/1 assist to turnover ratio, and are averaging 6.5 blocks per game.  Our shooting percentages are 47% FG, 70% FT, and 36% 3PT.

Now, to get to the score prediction.  From looking at all the comparisons, I think we match up very well on paper and actually look like we should come out with a win.  We are going to need Charles Thomas to be healthy and we are going to need Michael Washington to play well and stay out of foul trouble.  The other thing that I think is a MUST, is that Gary Ervin must have a good game.  We will also have to hold their leading scorer Nick Young (F), who averages 17.4 ppg, to a fairly low scoring total.  One thing that might hurt us is that the game is being played in Spokane, Washington, but I don't think that will affect us too much.  I will go ahead and predict a win and a rematch in the Field of 32 with Texas.  GO HOGS!  BEAT USC! :razorback: WPS! :razorback:

Final Score Prediction:
    Arkansas: 75
    USC: 67

razorbackfan4life

Arkansas 75
USC        60

The espn analysts will begin to eat crow.

Hogtropolis™

VetRock

"Gaps!"
"Gaps?"
"Yeah, Gaps.  She got gaps, I got gaps, together we got no gaps."
---From The Movie "Rocky"

NEAHawgfan

HOGS 68
USC 61 :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :puke: Vitale

Dugann

Think they will go in with a chip on their shoulder due to the national media shunning them and remarks being made.  I think USC is little over rated as well.  Arkansas 78 USC 72 lets just hope Thomas will be back we sooo missed him today in the game and he'll be needed big time vs USC.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

go hogues

Somebody from Arkansas needs to beat SC.

70-68 Hogs
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

seqco

Uncle Jed

Note to John White:   Please do your job.     Frank and Nutt have repeatedly demonstrated that they are not capable of theirs.    Time to find somebody that who is capable ....and end this nightmare.   The players and fans deserve better than this.

Blake Sebo

Arkansas 81
Southern California 64

USC is one of two teams I have been circling since mid feb for a first round loss, just glad it is Arkansas that drew them.

Brand X Hog Fan

Great info Trop!

We are even statistically looks like. I disagree with you about the only problem is the game is in Spokane ;). That is my home away from Arkansas! My wife was raised there. Its a beautiful city and is not really PAC-10 oriented. Majority of the folks there are Wazzu fans and despise USC so we should have pretty good fan support. If the Hogs can get up there early and get over the long trip (about 4 hours in the air) they should be fine.

I just hope Beverley keeps his head up and keeps shooting. CT will be big for us if he can go. I think our bigs have too much speed for them to match up with. Anyway . . . I am glad I am off this week. I am already rattled over this game and its only freakin' Sunday!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

d1nonlyhogfan

Forgot to mention that USC West lost to USC East, whom Arkansas beat 82-52 just a few days ago. I like our chances.

76-58
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

major_hog_fan

Arkansas 67, USC 64

I think it will be a close win.

Hogpuddin

HOGS 82 - 64.  Our big guys will be too much for them.

Texasbite

Hogs 77

Rubbers, I mean condoms, I mean Trojans 68

hogsgonewild30

HOGS 72
USC   69

HEY NUTT the basketball team wont give up 70 like your boys did

Hogtropolis™

March 12, 2007, 07:15:56 am #16 Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:54:27 am by Hogtropolis™
Game time is Friday, March 16 at 8:55 p.m. Central Standard Time.

bigyellowdog

Hogs- 76
Trojans- 69

The Hogs show they belong in the Big Dance.

Bomis Hawg

Hogs hit the boards hard.  Neutralize Taj Gibson. 
Hogs 79; Southern Cal 70.

MDH

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 12, 2007, 07:15:56 am
Game time is 8:55 p.m. Central Standard Time.
Great! I won't have to skip work to watch it!

Hogs 75
USC 68
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

arklahoman36

I think Arkansas got the best matchup of the 12 seeds. I know Butler's schedule isn't as tough as USC, but I just wouldn't like to be the team going against Butler in the first round.
Hogs 61 USC 56
While Arkansas has the best matchup of the 12 seeds, I think they'll have the toughest #4 if both Arkansas and Texas advance.

zek

Hog Fan from Camden

Hogtropolis, great analysis up front.  +1

Hogs 76
Trojans 69

Hollywood_HOGan

geez
really dont know what to think about this one.

IMO, i dont think Thomas will be ready so Washington better be ready to take up the slack. SOmebody on another board said Thomas had a severe sprain.

Im afraid we'll have to play Hunter too though.

If we can control their three point shooting, I believe we can win.

Michaelt

I don't know much about USC, just going off what I've read, but if our bigs can control the boards,

Hogs 85
USC  73
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

slopinhogs

win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

wirebender25

USC - 86

Hogs - 79

Hope not but I have no faith.

rasorback4life

Mediocrity Rules!!!

inhognation

Hogs 70
USC 65

I think we got a fairly decent matchup.  USC is a 1.5 point favorite by Vegas.  Beverly needs to rebound from his worst game of the year, and hopefully CT will playand play well.  We should have an advantage on the boards, and they don't press much, so we should be OK.

Go Hogs, and shut up Vitale and Digger.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

MCPeePants

Arkansas 70 USC 68

I'm assuming Thomas plays and is at or very near 100% though.

Without a healthy Thomas, I doubt we best USC.

Hogtropolis™

No way we lose this game.  We are on an extremely hot team right now (won 5 of our last 6), and USC is on a fairly cold streak (lost 3 of their last 5 games).  GO HOGS!  BEAT USC!  :razorback: WPS! :razorback:

TH98

hoggytonk

Darren DeLoach

sloppy, sloppy game. both teams are prone to coughing it up and long painful periods of cold shooting from the outside. the pigs advantage is inside depth. trojans are on the plus side with deep gaurd play. bottom line is if we avoid long scoreless speels by working the ball down low and getting into their weak bench at the post positions through foul trouble. and that requires all hands on deck. so if the manimal is close to 100% the score is : hogs- 66 & trojans-60. no charles thomas and we lose 72-60.

go hogs

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

razorback2day

Always searchin' for the man I'm never gonna be ? ---Mike Mclure

REALTOR Hog

USC's point guard Gabe Pruitt is 6'3 and he is a hot shooter, Ervin won't be able to stick with him very well so we will have to have an answer for him. If we can shut him down and Thomas/Townes/Weems/Washington stop SF Nick Young we can win.

If this happens-

Arkansas 66
Trojans   53
- GO HOGS -

PigWig

Ark 78
USC 69

Beverly gets his "Fresh Legs" back and lights SC up from the perimeter. Leads the team with 25 points and scores 18 off of 3-point shots.

HardCore

Hogs  83
USC   68

The media has me pumped up and motivated to kick some Arse and I'm not even playing.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

hawgfandude

Man, I hope all you homers are right.  Go Hogs!

IndyHog45

Hope we play loose instead of puckering up like we seem to do a lot and stand around picking our noses.  Usually end up with about 56 points playing that way.  That won't beat even a lowly Auburn team, as we saw not long ago.

Just cram the ball inside and stay away from the 3's!!!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I'm too much of a fan to predict what I really believe...

I know that may come as a shock to some of you.  I love Hog basketball. 

GO HOGS. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Houston h

76 - 72 USC, I never get it right!
GO Hogs!!!!!!!!!!!

BloodRedHog

USC 73
:razorback: 66

Thomas will not be healthy
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Satellite39

Hogs 67
USC  62

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Razorback88

I think this is a great matchup for us.  Looks more like a 7 vs. 10 on paper. 

Hogs 73
Trojans 63

Hogtropolis™

scarohr

I think after getting much needed rest,  the Hogs will pull this game out.

hogs 65
usuckc 55