Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well, I think this should be it for Heath.

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, March 11, 2007, 01:41:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 11, 2007, 02:00:01 pm
Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 11, 2007, 01:59:19 pm
Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 11, 2007, 01:52:49 pm
Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 11, 2007, 01:51:11 pm
Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 11, 2007, 01:46:25 pm

whether you like it or not, houston nutt is better at his job than stan is at his.  which is really really really sad.

If you've never seen either of them coach, this might be true.

seen them both coach.  and it is true.

anyone just see that commercial???   it started "N-O Stan.  No Stan, I will not..."  perfect timing.

Then you just don't know what you're talking about.

Stan is twice the coach and twice the leader and twice the man.  I can't believe anyone with any understanding would say otherwise.

With all due respect, Nutt has a winning conference record. Heath is way below 500. I think if we gave heath 5 more years he'd still be way below it. I think Heath has more class and integrity than HDN. Hdn seems a little shady to me.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

hoghearted

Quote from: M6 on March 11, 2007, 03:09:35 pm
HogFansince, Ah nolan's case was heard by the highest courts several times and was not successful. And when you call the admin CS what is your proof. I don't mean rumor or opinion. I mean proof, or the truth
Not agreeing or disagreeing with your stance, but how do you prove someone is chickenshite?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

weresoclose

Quote from: spankinbacon on March 11, 2007, 03:04:39 pm
Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 02:54:41 pm
Quote from: Air It Out Gus on March 11, 2007, 02:50:49 pm
Quote from: spankinbacon on March 11, 2007, 02:47:30 pm
Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 02:40:50 pm
Quote from: elksnort on March 11, 2007, 02:39:14 pm
Quote from: Air It Out Gus on March 11, 2007, 01:44:22 pm
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on March 11, 2007, 01:41:53 pm
Running the table in the SEC tourney was the only thing that would justify retaining him but it was not to be.  Time to open the purse strings and get a coach this program deserves.   :razorback:

Maybe so, but we will not be able to hire BG or BS.
Yeah, they are the only choices out there. ????

Seriously.  There are literally DOZENS of coaches better than Heath who would drop everything to come to Arkansas.  I'll take almost any of them.

DOZENS of coaches better than Stan who would drop everything to come here????Are you serious?  Please give me One Dozen, and don't give me Pitino or Coach K or any of those other unrealistic names that some people have thrown around on this board.

I second this?  Who are a dozen that would drop everything and come here?

There have been dozens of viable coaches' names thrown out, in case you've been under a rock.  Shoot, there are a dozen mid major coaches I would rather have than Heath.  If you don't think Arkansas could have 25 interested coaches better than Heath, you don't know our program very well.

I don't want 25, just give me 12, watch it with the mid majors though, if you list them they better have a better track record than Stan did at kent state

Why in the world do they have to have a better record than Heath's ONE YEAR at Kent?  It was his first year.  Hell, his kids probably didn't even listen to him.  He didn't have to train them.  He just had to say go out there and play ball.  His players managed the games.  You know how I know this??  I see the way he manages ARKANSAS GAMES.

Northside High School has as good a coach as Stan.  We gotta get somebody.

I'll come back with a list right after the selection committee.  I don't want to start licking my chops too soon!

M6

Nolan's case was heard by the federal courts. His claims were denied. I believe he quit because he had let the program go into a death spiral. He had never been there. It was hard place for him to be. He asked for a buy out twice on TV. Then when we did he claimed prejudice. Then after 'finding' another 3 million in a forgotten pension he still took us to court. Then he was proven wrong. Nolan went from hero to zero. For the last 5 years he has been getting 41,000 a month from the UofA. He could have taken another job. Some school would have hired him. But no, after letting the team slip, then being proven wrong in court he still takes the UoA's money. He takes temp coaching jobs for free so he an continue getting the money.

spankinbacon

Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 03:14:34 pm
Running the table in the SEC tourney was the only thing that would justify retaining him but it was not to be.  Time to open the purse strings and get a coach this program deserves.   :razorback:

Seriously.  There are literally DOZENS of coaches better than Heath who would drop everything to come to Arkansas.  I'll take almost any of them.

DOZENS of coaches better than Stan who would drop everything to come here????Are you serious?  Please give me One Dozen, and don't give me Pitino or Coach K or any of those other unrealistic names that some people have thrown around on this board.

There have been dozens of viable coaches' names thrown out, in case you've been under a rock.  Shoot, there are a dozen mid major coaches I would rather have than Heath.  If you don't think Arkansas could have 25 interested coaches better than Heath, you don't know our program very well.

I don't want 25, just give me 12, watch it with the mid majors though, if you list them they better have a better track record than Stan did at kent state

Why in the world do they have to have a better record than Heath's ONE YEAR at Kent?  It was his first year.  Hell, his kids probably didn't even listen to him.  He didn't have to train them.  He just had to say go out there and play ball.  His players managed the games.  You know how I know this??  I see the way he manages ARKANSAS GAMES.

Northside High School has as good a coach as Stan.  We gotta get somebody.

I'll come back with a list right after the selection committee.  I don't want to start licking my chops too soon!

Brilliant, we should hire Nothside's coach then, that is exactly what I am saying, there aren't a lot of quality coaches who would leave their current situation to end up at a school that has a lame duck ad and is on the NCAA bubble.  Stan is a class guy who has shown improvement every year and deserves a chance to win with the team he has built.

Publius

Quote from: M6 on March 11, 2007, 03:21:54 pm
Nolan's case was heard by the federal courts. His claims were denied. I believe he quit because he had let the program go into a death spiral. He had never been there. It was hard place for him to be. He asked for a buy out twice on TV. Then when we did he claimed prejudice. Then after 'finding' another 3 million in a forgotten pension he still took us to court. Then he was proven wrong. Nolan went from hero to zero. For the last 5 years he has been getting 41,000 a month from the UofA. He could have taken another job. Some school would have hired him. But no, after letting the team slip, then being proven wrong in court he still takes the UoA's money. He takes temp coaching jobs for free so he an continue getting the money.
Strong post!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Publius on March 11, 2007, 02:38:10 pm
Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 11, 2007, 02:35:53 pm
Quote from: Publius on March 11, 2007, 02:20:44 pm
Can any pro Heath person on this board make their argument without bring HDN into the equation?  I challenge any pro Heath person to back their position up with cold hard facts and not analogies with the football coach.  

You have to make those analogies because they are a factor.
How so?

Because public perception matters, and given so many recent black eyes to the athletic department, they'll want to avoid another.  And Houston Nutt's overall body of work is not appreciably better than Heath's. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

dbaileyway7

Quote from: Publius on March 11, 2007, 03:23:22 pm
Quote from: M6 on March 11, 2007, 03:21:54 pm
Strong post!

Question is, do the PTB have the balls to fire Heath, knowing what Nolans going to spew?  They haven't shown any guts yet!

M6

hogheart, Start with proof and the truth will set you free. There is no proof, facts or truth about Houston or Stan. All of the negative talk is purely speculation. Merely personal opinion based on emotion. I'm warning those people against that. Think of the darksiders comments in a court of law. The trail would last a day and they would be defeated. Stan has done a tremendous job during a very difficult time. If we decided to get a new coach lets do it with class. That's the problem with message boards. Everyone has an equal say. You don't have to have any credentials. Some of these people getting an equal opinion are high school kids that are not old enough to buy a gun or have a drink. They have a different opinion. they work with a different set of rules. When you start calling someone names you better have proof.

M6

Ah pardon me. Broyles was actually promoted, given the golden pasture. He will still be working on the UofA's behalf. He will be AD Emeritus.

M6

Dbailey. That is not a question. the question is what proof do you have the PTB hasn't show guts. A coach and a player quit. That's about all that happened. It was ugly and no one wins. But you are calling people gutless and you don't have any proof or knowledge of anything. That in itself is the definition of gutless.

ICEman

Dwinddling attendance as evidenced by the sub 10,000 people at the final home game may be the ultimate death knell for the Heathster.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

TransAmHawg

!. Texas A&m Will always be the second team in Texas. I lived there and know how it is.
2. 1.5 million reasons would work for me.
3. I heard it's a done deal with Billy G. as soon as the dust settles.
4. If the team had been coached to play as they have since the fight we'd be waiting to see where not if as far as NCAA tourney goes.
5. Billy G. has not been happy with the conf. PTB in the big 12
6. The SEC is a better gig and has more BBall history than the Texas league.
7. Just because HDN has cast some kind of spell over the BOT does not mean that Stan can't go away.
  8. We have to get a top notch coach in now before the 7 leave and get replaced with Dontel Jeffersons or Preston Cranfords. We can get the better players if they think we're on our way back but Stan is not the man that'll get us to the promised land.
  9. Think what our players are capable of with a great coach and a fire in their belly. Swagger means alot around here and Mr. Rodgers is not doing the job.
  10. ? Has Stan's teams ever been ranked in the top 25 for any length of time?

Billy Gillespie has what it takes and is willing to come here. 1.5 million will change his mind about being an Aggie.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

weresoclose

Fact is, the only reason people are supporting Heath is because they want to fight a Proxie War against HDN and JFB, which makes their position very selfish.  Hate has stopped their desire for a return to National Excellence.

The JFB argument is just a byproduct of a mancrush on GM and MM.  They think that since GM left, no well respected coach would come.  Baloney!  Self would have come 5 years ago if JFB had his way.  And that was when Frank was gonna be AD until he was 102 years old.  

I feel good about the BAC's actions.  It almost has redeamed their lack of action the first week after the Capital One bowl.  At least they're doing something about the mediocrity plaguing not only our Athletic Dept but apparantly the fan base as well.  

Lets get a better coach than the statue we have right now.  And we'll deal with a new FB HC after next year, when the time to hire a new one is right.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: TransAmHawg on March 11, 2007, 03:36:48 pm
!. Texas A&m Will always be the second team in Texas. I lived there and know how it is.
4. If the team had been coached to play as they have since the fight we'd be waiting to see where not if as far as NCAA tourney goes.
7. Just because HDN has cast some kind of spell over the BOT does not mean that Stan can't go away.
  8. We have to get a top notch coach in now before the 7 leave and get replaced with Dontel Jeffersons or Preston Cranfords. We can get the better players if they think we're on our way back but Stan is not the man that'll get us to the promised land.
  9. Think what our players are capable of with a great coach and a fire in their belly. Swagger means alot around here and Mr. Rodgers is not doing the job.

Billy Gillespie has what it takes and is willing to come here. 1.5 million will change his mind about being an Aggie.

Excellent post.  Also leaving HDN, Nolan and Cluck the Wonderchicken and looking at Heath's record, I don't think the W_L justify giving another year of OJT
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

spankinbacon

Quote from: donewithdale on March 11, 2007, 03:29:49 pm
Quote from: spankinbacon on March 11, 2007, 03:14:11 pm

That's odd...crickets again, let me help you out, Phil Jackson is not coming here, Pat Riley is not coming here, Coach K---No, Roy Williams, kind of doubt it, Bill Self, Why would he, Gillespie---see Self.......

The classic fear tactic- we couldn't do any better.  The fact Broyles is here till the end of the year may or may not be a factor.  Depends on if the PTB have a good idea of who the successor is and if the potential new coach cares.  if you look at college bask salaries, they aren't what they are in college football.  Close to a million a year would be an upgrade for many coaches in power conf's like the Big East. 

Could we find a coach willing to take over an experienced team coming of back to back 20 win seasons with opportunity to sign 7 new players to institute his system the following season at a school with our support and resources while getting a good raise?  I think the chances are high.  The idea that Frank is absolutely horrible and that his still being here to next year is bad is a little misleading.  Frank has given Stan the money to get two very qualified experienced asst's.  A potential new coach will see that as a financial committment to winning and that Frank or his successor would have that same committment. 

Maybe I look at it from a different point of view,

First: If I am one of these Big East coaches and I see that Stan gets fired for consistant improvement and back to back 20 win seasons---I would be very concerned about job security at Arkansas.

Second:  Who out of the Big East THAT WOULD LIKELY LEAVE THEIR CURRENT SITUATION would you actually want?  Fox Sports radio analysts were discussing "high profile" job openings, the jobs they listed as potentially in play---Kentucky and Michigan, their likely successors----Steve Lavin, Rick Majerus, and a bunch of other retreads.  I think that Stan deserves to stay based on what he has built, and continues to build (See Bush's commitment and the 08 recruits he is in the running for), but if he goes, I think we look REALLY foolish bringing in some up and comer from Winthrop or ORU (even if he is a Sutton)

Hums

It just amazes me that some many "EXPERTS" think that because we lost today that we should fire the coach. Bottom line is we probably had no chance to win today after playing 4 games in a row. Fact is we probably would not have beaten them if we were fresh b/c Florida is that good.

If we are going to make a coaching change it needs to be based on the complete season not how did the last couple of games and whether or not the powers to be believe that SH is the man to get the job done.
The tough part is determining if the team really did grow up and turn the corner as well as the coach or were just getting on a hot streak at the end of the season.

weresoclose

I would love to have Majerus--one of my favorite coaches.  And Lavin can outcoach Heath with half his brain tied behind his back.

Publius

Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 03:40:07 pm
Fact is, the only reason people are supporting Heath is because they want to fight a Proxie War against HDN and JFB, which makes their position very selfish.  Hate has stopped their desire for a return to National Excellence.

The JFB argument is just a byproduct of a mancrush on GM and MM.  They think that since GM left, no well respected coach would come.  Baloney!  Self would have come 5 years ago if JFB had his way.  And that was when Frank was gonna be AD until he was 102 years old.  

I feel good about the BAC's actions.  It almost has redeamed their lack of action the first week after the Capital One bowl.  At least they're doing something about the mediocrity plaguing not only our Athletic Dept but apparantly the fan base as well.  

Lets get a better coach than the statue we have right now.  And we'll deal with a new FB HC after next year, when the time to hire a new one is right.

Well put.

spankinbacon

Quote from: TransAmHawg on March 11, 2007, 03:36:48 pm

I live in Pearland, I have a few freinds who are close with the PTB in College Station, they say that BG is going to get a HUGE raise at the end of this year unless he tanks in the big dance, however, I think that BG is an excellent coach if we could get him, I just don't see it.  I don't know where you lived in Texas, I also don't know how long you have been gone, five years ago I would have agreed with you about your first point, however, the gap has narrowed, the Houston call in shows now actually do field calls about A&M basketball, five years ago basketball took a back seat to spring football drills.

weresoclose

Quote from: Hums on March 11, 2007, 03:44:39 pm
It just amazes me that some many "EXPERTS" think that because we lost today that we should fire the coach. Bottom line is we probably had no chance to win today after playing 4 games in a row. Fact is we probably would not have beaten them if we were fresh b/c Florida is that good.

If we are going to make a coaching change it needs to be based on the complete season not how did the last couple of games and whether or not the powers to be believe that SH is the man to get the job done.
The tough part is determining if the team really did grow up and turn the corner as well as the coach or were just getting on a hot streak at the end of the season.

Have it your way.  We fire Heath based on his overall performance, which sucked.

He clearly did not turn a corner, because this year, with all the talent on our team, he couldn't get it done against SC, MSU, Auburn, etc. etc.

Your point is valid.  We should fire him because he will never be able to get it done.  When I say get it done that means Final Four.  He cannot do that.

M6

wereso, nope. Stan was hired to stop the downward sprial, to stop the bleeding and put a competative team on the floor. He did that. Mission accomplished. Now that he's shown he can move toward the next level we need to make certain we are making the right choices. your pretending that we had a team when stan showed up. That is incorrect. It took him 2 years to stop the bleeding and get talent back on the floor. In the 3 years since he has had some major runs, some quality wins, gone to the NCAA and the SEC Championship. Next year looks to be even better.

mcb

If SH feels he is not wanted at ARK he will go with a buy out if thy offer it. But it well not happen until after the 64 teams are let out.

weresoclose

BG's team was 0-16 in big 12 play when he showed up.  Three years later, they're competing for a number 1 seed.

You need to stop and learn what you're talking about.  Stan stopped the bleeding and that's it.  He's reached his level of incompetance.  This is Stan's peak performance.  This is what you get from Stan.  Mediocrity.

:puke:

Where's my Hogball?  Gillespie, you seen it?  I know you have!!!

mcb

why would he wont to stay with all the BS going on at the UofA.

spankinbacon

Quote from: donewithdale on March 11, 2007, 03:48:52 pm
Quote from: spankinbacon on March 11, 2007, 03:41:51 pm
Quote from: donewithdale on March 11, 2007, 03:29:49 pm
Quote from: spankinbacon on March 11, 2007, 03:14:11 pm

That's odd...crickets again, let me help you out, Phil Jackson is not coming here, Pat Riley is not coming here, Coach K---No, Roy Williams, kind of doubt it, Bill Self, Why would he, Gillespie---see Self.......

The classic fear tactic- we couldn't do any better.  The fact Broyles is here till the end of the year may or may not be a factor.  Depends on if the PTB have a good idea of who the successor is and if the potential new coach cares.  if you look at college bask salaries, they aren't what they are in college football.  Close to a million a year would be an upgrade for many coaches in power conf's like the Big East. 

Could we find a coach willing to take over an experienced team coming of back to back 20 win seasons with opportunity to sign 7 new players to institute his system the following season at a school with our support and resources while getting a good raise?  I think the chances are high.  The idea that Frank is absolutely horrible and that his still being here to next year is bad is a little misleading.  Frank has given Stan the money to get two very qualified experienced asst's.  A potential new coach will see that as a financial committment to winning and that Frank or his successor would have that same committment. 

Maybe I look at it from a different point of view,

First: If I am one of these Big East coaches and I see that Stan gets fired for consistant improvement and back to back 20 win seasons---I would be very concerned about job security at Arkansas.

Second:  Who out of the Big East THAT WOULD LIKELY LEAVE THEIR CURRENT SITUATION would you actually want?  Fox Sports radio analysts were discussing "high profile" job openings, the jobs they listed as potentially in play---Kentucky and Michigan, their likely successors----Steve Lavin, Rick Majerus, and a bunch of other retreads.  I think that Stan deserves to stay based on what he has built, and continues to build (See Bush's commitment and the 08 recruits he is in the running for), but if he goes, I think we look REALLY foolish bringing in some up and comer from Winthrop or ORU (even if he is a Sutton)

I just used the Big East as an example of a power conf where we could be more than competitive in offering pay.  Actually, most every power conf has coaches with better credentials than Stan that we could pay more and offer more than their current programs.  Doesn't mean they would leave for Ark.  But to think we would totally strike out and end up with another up and comer is a very defeatist and inferiority complex attitude. 

And yes, UK will get first choice if they make a change.  But not Michigan.  Their program is nowhere near ours because the UofM has not made commitments to the bask program.  They have a better recruiting base and that is it.  Our job will be the #1 job (if we make a change)unless UK makes a change.

I just don't see that.  Outside the state I just don't hear Arkansas brought up as a dream job or National Powerhouse type school.  That may be due to our recent failure and it maybe could be turned around with A Self or a Gillespie, but I could see it playing out much more like the Alabama football fiasco unless there is something set in stone behind the scenes prior to Heath's dismissal.  Before you say it, I know, they ended up with the coach they wanted, but only after looking like idiots on the national stage.  

weresoclose

please stop quoting half a page worth of past stuff.  we all know the conversation you're in.

mcb

Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 03:55:31 pm
BG's team was 0-16 in big 12 play when he showed up.  Three years later, they're competing for a number 1 seed.

You need to stop and learn what you're talking about.  Stan stopped the bleeding and that's it.  He's reached his level of incompetance.  This is Stan's peak performance.  This is what you get from Stan.  Mediocrity.

:puke:

Where's my Hogball?  Gillespie, you seen it?  I know you have!!!

Mike Anderson took Hogball with him. Is UM in the ncaat?

ishankem

when was the last time UofA ever hired a big time coach?  NEVER!  we always get the up and dumbers. i don't feel confident this administration will get the right guy.  if they did get BS or BG, i think my false teeth might fall out.  before they let SH go, they better have a big kahona waiting in the wings, otherwise, you might as well keep heath.  which would be fine with me. :razorback:

weresoclose

oh yeah, cause Heath's such a big kahoona himself!

like i said earlier, Northside High School has as good a coach as Heath.  we won't have any problem finding someone better.  players come here because we're arkansas.  that's the difference maker.  

not old War Face Heath.

mcb

If SH was hired just to stop the bleeding thay would have hired Mike Anderson. SH was hired because he was a young up and coming Coach.

spankinbacon

Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 04:08:07 pm

like i said earlier, Northside High School has as good a coach as Heath.  we won't have any problem finding someone better.  players come here because we're arkansas.  that's the difference maker.  

not old War Face Heath.

Like I said our problems are solved then, hire the Northside coach and we won't have to worry about the bubble next year, lol

ishankem

he was hired by a dumb a$$ committee that didn't know what it was doing. He had only one year as a head coach who road the coat tails of the previous coach's players. plus the committee was seduced by his personality and his being black didn't hurt either.

weresoclose

Quote from: spankinbacon on March 11, 2007, 04:16:38 pm
Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 04:08:07 pm

not old War Face Heath.

Like I said our problems are solved then, hire the Northside coach and we won't have to worry about the bubble next year, lol

The sad part is, we wouldn't do any worse than we will with Heath. 

Get a clue.  Heath is a bad coach.  He has never, ever been a good coach.  Just because you can recruit doesn't make you a good coach. 

We got us a dud.  And you want to keep it.  Jesus.

hogfan47

we will know by 630 tonight if the hogs make the dance stan stays
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

spankinbacon

This gets back to my original statement give me a DOZEN coaches better than Heath that would come here.  You said it, Stan is a recruiter, I do think that he is improving as an X's and O's coach (over previous years) but I certainly don't think he is at the top of the heap in that category.  Next year's recruiting class will be the most important for Arkansas in quite a while, why would you want to get rid of a proven recruiter going into such an important time.  Like I said, if Self or Gillespie is locked up and I just don't know it, fine, but, do you want what could possibly be, another up and comer that we hope can recruit to fill his shoes?IMO now is not the time to fire him, ESPECIALLY if he makes the tournament.  

weresoclose

Any good coach can recruit players.  Hasta la pasta, Heath. 

I don't care if you're scared to fire him.  Powerful people on campus are not.  Thank goodness they have a pair.

There are dozens of coaches better than Heath who would take the job.

spankinbacon

Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 04:38:08 pm
Any good coach can recruit players.  Hasta la pasta, Heath. 

I don't care if you're scared to fire him.  Powerful people on campus are not.  Thank goodness they have a pair.

There are dozens of coaches better than Heath who would take the job.

Thank God they have demonstrated their "pair" with the Nutt situation.  Give me a dozen better than Heath that will come, then I will take you seriously.

kgr

Keep Him    Fire Him, You Have To Fire Nutt

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***