Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Lunardi just on ESPN

Started by GBoling5000, March 10, 2007, 03:19:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GBoling5000

...said that Arkansas needs to win tomorrow to get in.  He doesn't have the hogs as a lock.

SexyBeast77

why do people insist on starting their own threads when there is one. Oh right new guy. Still smite-worthy

hawgfan80

Quote from: GBoling5000 on March 10, 2007, 03:19:45 pm
...said that Arkansas needs to win tomorrow to get in.  He doesn't have the hogs as a lock.

This is the same Joe Lunardi that has West Virginia, Kansas St., Stanford, Air Force, Drexel, Old Dominion, Florida St., and Missouri St. ahead of Arkansas right now.....

Pigskin_Porker

Hey SexyBeast77 . . . Nice sig line!  +1.
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

3kgthog

Don't all of those teams except Mo. St. have an RPI above 40? I know K-State is around 50+.

Oliver

Quote from: hawgfan80 on March 10, 2007, 03:22:01 pm

This is the same Joe Lunardi that has West Virginia, Kansas St., Stanford, Air Force, Drexel, Old Dominion, Florida St., and Missouri St. ahead of Arkansas right now.....

I sometimes wonder if the man looks at RPI and SOS at all or if he just draws teams out of a hat and says..."their locks."

jbcarol

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 10, 2007, 03:28:33 pm

I sometimes wonder if the man looks at RPI and SOS at all or if he just draws teams out of a hat and says..."their locks."

Check Lunardi's last post against the real deal tomorrow at 6 PM EST/5 PM CST.

Remember the Committee is inconvenienced by those Sunday PM games.  Arkansas is in.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: jbcarol on March 10, 2007, 03:37:40 pm

Remember the Committee is inconvenienced by those Sunday PM games.  Arkansas is in.

jb...your last line is the most sensical post of the day on whether or not we get in.

Usually the SEC champion and runner up are both locks for the tournament as the selection committee does everything it can to iron things out between now and noon tomorrow.  If they say Arkansas must win to get in it usually means somebody else would have to go and result in a rearrangement of their brackets, something the committee doesn't usually like to do at the last minute.

I firmly believe our win today gets us in.  They likely have us in our spot and it won't change whether we win or lose tomorrow.  This is historically the case.

Bacon out...

hawgfan80

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 10, 2007, 03:26:50 pm
Don't all of those teams except Mo. St. have an RPI above 40? I know K-State is around 50+.

These are all according to realtimerpi.com....

W. Virginia is 56, K-State is 54, Stanford 55, Air Force 29, Drexel 43, Old Dominion 38, Florida St. 46, Missouri St 39, Texas Tech 45, Clemson 47

jbcarol

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 10, 2007, 03:42:19 pm

jb...your last line is the most sensical post of the day on whether or not we get in.

Usually the SEC champion and runner up are both locks for the tournament as the selection committee does everything it can to iron things out between now and noon tomorrow.  If they say Arkansas must win to get in it usually means somebody else would have to go and result in a rearrangement of their brackets, something the committee doesn't usually like to do at the last minute.

I firmly believe our win today gets us in.  They likely have us in our spot and it won't change whether we win or lose tomorrow.  This is historically the case.

Bacon out...

Thanks Bacon!
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

If you want to check Lunardi, save his last post as an HTML or other format late Sunday afternoon.  They will yank it, to ensure there is no confusion with the real bracket.

The Coletrain

Stewart Mandel from SI still says we're on the outside looking in.  He's got a pretty detailed form at the bottom of the link detailing who's in, who's out, and who's got a shot but still considered an outsider. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/bubble.watch/index.html
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

polandhog

Quote from: The Coletrain on March 10, 2007, 06:27:55 pm
Stewart Mandel from SI still says we're on the outside looking in.  He's got a pretty detailed form at the bottom of the link detailing who's in, who's out, and who's got a shot but still considered an outsider. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/bubble.watch/index.html

that's pre-today's game though.

The Coletrain

I don't know.  The Hogs record is correct and it says it was updated at 3:34 CT. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

polandhog

Quote from: polandhog on March 10, 2007, 06:28:37 pm
Quote from: The Coletrain on March 10, 2007, 06:27:55 pm

that's pre-today's game though.

oops, my mistake...

amazing he has stanford in (18 wins, RPI 67!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

GOOBER!

polandhog

and he has VANDERBILT as a LOCK with the WRONG RECORD

PEOPLE LISTEN!!!!!

VANDY = 19 WINS, NOT 20

ARKANSAS = 21

DOES EVERY WEB GUY FAIL THE CLASS CALLED 'CHECKING FACTS 101'

DeltaBoy

If the Hogs don't go we have been robbed!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CheeZ_PuFF

How can we get beat out by 18-12 Stanford?

Kenny Sowers

Joe doesnt know his head from his ass
CMA "We're going to pick them up when they get off the damn bus", in reference to guarding the other team.

MrsPiggy

It's our conference record that's hurting us...none of his "locks" have a losing conf record.  It wouldn't have hurt us so much if there hadn't been some upsets (like Utah St) that reduced the number of bubble teams in

I believe we need to win tomorrow and secure the automatic bid

polandhog

Quote from: MrsPiggy on March 10, 2007, 06:36:42 pm
It's our conference record that's hurting us...none of his "locks" have a losing conf record.  It wouldn't have hurt us so much if there hadn't been some upsets (like Utah St) that reduced the number of bubble teams in

???

Our SEC record is 10-9 !

TOM "tbw1"

Then why do the final standings say 7-9?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

GAHOG

I believe all those teams had winning conference records during the regular season. Arkansas was 7-9 during the regular season, but if you count the SECT games it's 10-9

jbcarol

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 10, 2007, 06:32:10 pm
If the Hogs don't go we have been robbed!

Yes and it would hypthetically be because the SEC in general and Arkansas in particular had insufficient advocacy on the Committee.  In the past we've had people looking out for us whether the SEC performance showed we all deserved it or not.

MrsPiggy

Quote from: polandhog on March 10, 2007, 06:37:46 pm

???

Our SEC record is 10-9 !

Regular season...the tourny wins aren't being counted in conf record, just the overall record

Table Rocker

have faith in the committee people!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they will make the right call win or lose, hogs will make the NCAAT

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 10, 2007, 07:57:44 pm
have faith in the committee people!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they will make the right call win or lose, hogs will make the NCAAT

I have ZERO faith in the committee. The ESPN guy is usually right and we're still not even on the radar according to that guy.

The NCAA committee usually screws somebody over. It may be us tomorrow that gets screwed.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 10, 2007, 08:00:44 pm

I have ZERO faith in the committee. The ESPN guy is usually right and we're still not even on the radar according to that guy.

The NCAA committee usually screws somebody over. It may be us tomorrow that gets screwed.

the committee usually sides with the big name conferences not the Old Dominions, Drexels, Air Force's of the world. regardless of what you think, ESPN does not run the selection committe

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 10, 2007, 08:01:52 pm

the committee usually sides with the big name conferences not the Old Dominions, Drexels, Air Force's of the world. regardless of what you think, ESPN does not run the selection committe

Joe Lunardi usually does not miss very much.

I hope it doesnt happen but im afraid we might get totally jobbed tomorrow. Maybe having Slive on the committee will help.

Table Rocker

so he gets most of the bubble teams correct every year, big deal, are there like 6-7 true bubble teams every year? the committee rewards big conferences, we're in, win or lose

forrest city joe

My opinion iswe have to beat the Gators to get in.we need our best game of the season to win this game. either way, hats off to Stan and these kids.

riccoar

Quote from: polandhog on March 10, 2007, 06:37:46 pm

???

Our SEC record is 10-9 !
Regular season is what they go by.

Uncle Jed

Note to John White:   Please do your job.     Frank and Nutt have repeatedly demonstrated that they are not capable of theirs.    Time to find somebody that who is capable ....and end this nightmare.   The players and fans deserve better than this.

Mark Lericos

If Arkansas loses to Florida... it's going to come down to one of two things:

Either the committee loves the hot streak Arkansas is on and thinks they deserve a shot to keep rolling...
OR...

The Hogs are punished for their dismal regular season. 7-9 in a terrible SEC West still looks ugly no matter how many wins you pile on top of it.  Those South Carolina, Missouri , Texas Tech, LSU losses are a big ole zit on the Hogs face.

Arkansas is not a lock, and if Lunardi says Arkansas needs to win, he's probably dead on.

jbcarol

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 10, 2007, 08:01:52 pm

In fact I thought it was CBS (based on some very suspicious pairings in the last 25 years) until last year when I saw Billy Packer blow his stack and his partner Jim Nance have to issue a public apology 2 weeks later.  Billy does not apologize, he has "people" to do that for him.

stan the man

There is no way the SEC only gets four teams in the tourney.  They have to put at least one team from the West in.  Who else but Arkansas.  If we only get four teams in, the selection committee should be hung.

stan the man

Espn and all the east coast writers have no respect for the SEC.  They all suck suck suck.

Pigonometry

I agree but the SEC teams never gets the beneift of the doubt like the ACC, Big 10 and Big East do...........
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Pigonometry

Quote from: opineonswine on March 10, 2007, 09:05:48 pm
Our RPI is better than Vandy.  Our SOS is better than Vandy.  We have beaten Vandy twice in a week.  Why would they get in before us?  Doesn't make ANY sense at all.

They had a winning record in conference play.  That's the only thing keeping us from being a lock right now.

Those three 3-pt shots by that stupid, read-headed Newman of Georgia are still haunting us.........

BigoBoys

Quote from: Mark Lericos on March 10, 2007, 08:45:52 pm

If Arkansas loses to Florida... it's going to come down to one of two things:

Either the committee loves the hot streak Arkansas is on and thinks they deserve a shot to keep rolling...
OR...

The Hogs are punished for their dismal regular season. 7-9 in a terrible SEC West still looks ugly no matter how many wins you pile on top of it.  Those South Carolina, Missouri , Texas Tech, LSU losses are a big ole zit on the Hogs face.

Arkansas is not a lock, and if Lunardi says Arkansas needs to win, he's probably dead on.
Those early losses were tough.  Let's hope the committee is looking for a talented and hot team that could cause some upsets in the first and second rounds and has fans that travel. 

jhog

yea i spoke with a buddy of mine on the selection committe he told me that he spoke with PRJ and they decided we should be included in the dance.

Mark Lericos

Cuz Vandy hasn't lost to doormats and been blown out by lesser SEC schools.  They've beaten Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky twice.... the list goes on and on. 

T2 RZB

Mandel has 3 Colonial Conference teams in.  Automatic to VCU and his "Bubble Ins" Drexel and Old Dominion.  Drexel defeated Georgetown early in the season and Old Dominion defeated Syracuse.  Can this conference get three?

Pigonometry

Quote from: T2 RZB on March 10, 2007, 09:22:40 pm
Mandel has 3 Colonial Conference teams in.  Automatic to VCU and his "Bubble Ins" Drexel and Old Dominion.  Drexel defeated Georgetown early in the season and Old Dominion defeated Syracuse.  Can this conference get three?

They might but they won't deserve it..............

yraciv

Quote from: hawgfan80 on March 10, 2007, 03:44:18 pm
Quote from: 3kgthog on March 10, 2007, 03:26:50 pm

These are all according to realtimerpi.com....

W. Virginia is 56, K-State is 54, Stanford 55, Air Force 29, Drexel 43, Old Dominion 38, Florida St. 46, Missouri St 39, Texas Tech 45, Clemson 47

WV, KS, Stanford, and Clemson should have no case over us.  I really am confused about this because Lunardi knows his stuff, but w/ an rpi as high as ours; I think he has to be way off this time.

Ironhawg

Joe Lunardi = Total tool

zhog

According to all these people the hogs arent even on the radar! Unbelievable!

jbcarol

Northeast bias mixed with a lack of understanding of some Committee key factors.  Parity in the SEC does not inherently make it inferior to parity in the east-based conferences.

Northeast bias (no offense to you practitioners at the Jones Center) was never more clear than the NHL strike.  Remember how much better Sports Center was on a Saturday night when there was no interruption for the latest staged hockey fight and to again not see the puck fly in the goal.

playboy

If Vandy gets in ahead of us, I'll go Ray lewis on someone

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: stan the man on March 10, 2007, 08:57:26 pm
There is no way the SEC only gets four teams in the tourney.  They have to put at least one team from the West in.  Who else but Arkansas.  If we only get four teams in, the selection committee should be hung.

Quote from: stan the man on March 10, 2007, 08:58:21 pm
Espn and all the east coast writers have no respect for the SEC.  They all suck suck suck.

Quote from: Pigonometry on March 10, 2007, 08:58:33 pm
I agree but the SEC teams never gets the beneift of the doubt like the ACC, Big 10 and Big East do...........

You gotta think after last year, there's no way you discount the SEC this year.  I'm with Stan_the_man, Arkansas is the next logical choice after FL, KY, TN, VB (should be before VB)