Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We may not be hearing what we want to hear from the Bills

Started by Jim Harris, March 07, 2007, 11:01:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

weresoclose

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 07, 2007, 01:00:08 pm
Quote from: drakehog on March 07, 2007, 12:51:16 pm
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 07, 2007, 12:12:13 pm
I cannot help rooting for Heath right now.  I hope he pulls it all together.

Well, Biggus, you're not only a sentimentalist, you've become a patriot.

I'm glad we're in this thing together.

Add me to that list as well. It's very hard not to pull for a good man to do well.

Has the whole world gone insane?  ???

Oklahawg

Seems to me there are dozens of solid but unspectacular coaches at mid-majors who would merit an opportunity if the Bills are saying "no". Might strike "gold". Could be worse than Heath but I'll take my chances.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Michaelt

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 07, 2007, 11:30:26 am
How many people would want Heath gone if it turns out that his replacement isn't Self, or Gillespie, or Pitino?

Suppose instead his replacement was a solid but unspectacular veteran coach? Maybe a Dana Altman, just to throw out a name. Maybe a Herb Sendek, just to throw out a name.

I'd rather keep Stan Heath than do that.  

Maybe they should go ahead and announce that there is a vacancy with the basketball team, IF these (place Bill S., Bill G. etc. here) coaches will sign a contract...then tell Stan if they don't get a "name" guy hired, that he can stay another year.

I'd love to see Stan stay, if he could just get a little fire in his belly and teach these kids how to finish ball games.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Quote from: The Truth on March 07, 2007, 12:39:38 pm
How many people would want Heath gone if it turns out that his replacement isn't Self, or Gillespie, or Pitino?

Suppose instead his replacement was a solid but unspectacular veteran coach? Maybe a Dana Altman, just to throw out a name. Maybe a Herb Sendek, just to throw out a name.

Hog fans, these are dismal prospects. Swapping Heath for Herb Sendek would be like painting a tan wall beige: a fresh coat of boring mediocrity. But if Heath is fired, what is UA really likely to do? Self is sitting in one of the thrones of college hoops, BG is about to hit a cash jackpot, and Pitino to UA is a total pipedream. Hog fans, consider this:

THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS HAS NEVER, EVER HIRED AN ESTABLISHED COACHING STAR IN A MAJOR SPORT. NOT ONCE.

In fact, the biggest coaching move in recent memory was from Springdale High.

I would LOVE to see Bill Self coaching in Fayetteville, but why in the world does anybody believe that the UA is suddenly going to make a move unlike any it has made before?
Because we MIGHT (I'm not so sure) have a different person hiring this coach than has hired the last dozen or so.

PMP11

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 07, 2007, 11:29:44 am
Quote from: TMc on March 07, 2007, 11:13:02 am
I am hearing Gillespie is indeed interested.., and rumored that he will be our next coach.
i dont see why it is so hard for people to believe in the gillispie route. i know about aTm and all the boosters they are supposed to have, but here is why getting Gillispie is not such a far out idea:

1. he will lose most of his contributors to graduation   
2. basketball is secondary in texas to football
3. aTm is secondary to UT
4. 20,000 seats vs. 12,000 seats.
5. he will walk into one of the most talented and seasoned teams in the country at the UA.

Devil's Advocate:

1.  Unfortunately, we don't.  Look what they did this year.
2.  Uhhh, I don't believe AR is a basketball state
3.  I don't see that as much of a problem
4.  That just means BWA is capable of more empty seats, did you notice actual attendance this year(not reported)
5.  Wow, just wow.  You, sir, are quite the optimist(homer)

hogsanity

Quote from: Karma on March 07, 2007, 01:23:50 pm
Quote from: The Truth on March 07, 2007, 12:39:38 pm

Hog fans, these are dismal prospects. Swapping Heath for Herb Sendek would be like painting a tan wall beige: a fresh coat of boring mediocrity. But if Heath is fired, what is UA really likely to do? Self is sitting in one of the thrones of college hoops, BG is about to hit a cash jackpot, and Pitino to UA is a total pipedream. Hog fans, consider this:

THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS HAS NEVER, EVER HIRED AN ESTABLISHED COACHING STAR IN A MAJOR SPORT. NOT ONCE.

In fact, the biggest coaching move in recent memory was from Springdale High.

I would LOVE to see Bill Self coaching in Fayetteville, but why in the world does anybody believe that the UA is suddenly going to make a move unlike any it has made before?
Because we MIGHT (I'm not so sure) have a different person hiring this coach than has hired the last dozen or so.

Yea, it might be White, you know, they guy who came up with the hiring committee that gave us HDn and Stan Heath.  Do you think Dave Van Horn was a good hire?  Broyles was allowed to go ut and hire him with no committee, no limits on salary.  If JFb had been allowed to hire who he wanted in Fb and BB, he would NOT have hired HDn or Stan Heath.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: weresoclose on March 07, 2007, 01:06:10 pm

Add me to that list as well. It's very hard not to pull for a good man to do well.

Yes it has, Cora. But Heath is not Magua.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

weresoclose

March 07, 2007, 02:17:25 pm #57 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 02:36:30 pm by weresoclose
Quote from: MarkinMemphis on March 07, 2007, 01:57:51 pm

I wish he was Natty Bumppo.  Wait, that was Nolan...

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: weresoclose on March 07, 2007, 02:17:25 pm

No, Natty was Malzahn. Nolan was Magua.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

dotnet

Quote from: PMP11 on March 07, 2007, 01:35:59 pm
I am hearing Gillespie is indeed interested.., and rumored that he will be our next coach.
i dont see why it is so hard for people to believe in the gillispie route. i know about aTm and all the boosters they are supposed to have, but here is why getting Gillispie is not such a far out idea:

5. he will walk into one of the most talented and seasoned teams in the country at the UA.

Devil's Advocate:

4.  That just means BWA is capable of more empty seats, did you notice actual attendance this year(not reported)

He has one of the top ten players in the country coming to play center.  He has his next Law IV already on campus (Sloan has been a player and he is only a freshman).  He has three starters and two of his top three bench players coming back. 

I don't get why the arena means he wants to come here?  Yes we have a nicer arena.  This just means he can build a nicer one when he packs the 12500 arena out for a few years. 

As far as recruiting, he is right next to Dallas and Houston.  People say basketball recruiting is national, but why are most of Arkansas' players from MO and Miss?  It is only consistently national for the top programs, just like in football.

razor rob

I think the point is, Arkansas right now is still a step above Texas A&M as far as basketball programs go. We have better history, better arena, better following. Let's face it -- a packed BWA full of crazy Hogs fans is an easy place to win.

weresoclose

March 07, 2007, 03:42:56 pm #61 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:58:11 pm by weresoclose
Quote from: MarkinMemphis on March 07, 2007, 03:20:26 pm
Quote from: weresoclose on March 07, 2007, 02:17:25 pm

No, Natty was Malzahn. Nolan was Magua.

I wonder if you mean that.  I might agree.

:razorback: The point is, we have to hire a new coach now.  Someone who might like to add 6-8 of their own players their 2nd year. 

:razorback: Fire first and see what happens when the dust settles.  It's worth the risk. 

:razorback: Three more years is too much Heath! 

dotnet

Quote from: razor rob on March 07, 2007, 03:33:43 pm
I think the point is, Arkansas right now is still a step above Texas A&M as far as basketball programs go. We have better history, better arena, better following. Let's face it -- a packed BWA full of crazy Hogs fans is an easy place to win.

I agree that you should be right, but I don't know that you are.  History with the media and high school students barely goes back ten years.  The arena is better, but the following isn't better.  I agree the following per capita is better but I guarentee you that A&M has more fans than Arkansas, just by sheer numbers.

I understand a packed BWA is a tough place to win, but A&M had one of the longest home win streaks in the nation before Tech hit a prayer at the buzzer.  This goes back to before A&M was even ranked (which is before this year).

mbgrulz

Quote from: PMP11 on March 07, 2007, 01:35:59 pm

Devil's Advocate:

you say im too optimistic, but i think you are a little too pesimistic.

AR wants to be a football state, but in reality, we are much better suited to be a basketball state. texas is the pinnalce of football states.

i'd bet BG doesnt like being second fiddle. driven men like him dont want to settle for good enough. they want it all.

our attendance at BWA is the reason we are looking at a new coach. if it was good, heath would be okay. get somebody in here that is exciting and who is winning ball games and you'll see 20K a night.

i truly believe that we will bring back a very potent mixture of talent and experience next year. hill, townes, and thomas all will have 3 years of big minutes under their belt. ervin and weems might be able to get more consistent under a better coach. washington will certainly continue to prove why he was a 5* recruit, and having beverley as your headliner is a pretty good inscentive to come in my eyes.

dotnet

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 07, 2007, 04:26:23 pm
I bet BG doesnt like being second fiddle. driven men like him dont want to settle for good enough. they want it all.

i truly believe that we will bring back a very potent mixture of talent and experience next year. hill, townes, and thomas all will have 3 years of big minutes under their belt. ervin and weems might be able to get more consistent under a better coach. washington will certainly continue to prove why he was a 5* recruit, and having beverley as your headliner is a pretty good inscentive to come in my eyes.

1. Why don't we just get Billy Donovan?  He must hate playing second fiddle?  And if you think BG is playing second fiddle right now, you don't know much about what is going on in Texas.

2.  Washington wasn't a 5* recruit. 

3. A&M has a top 3 center coming next year, plus players who have played a lot of minutes.  In the NFL you would trade the top pick for extra picks most of the time (ask the Patriots and the Chargers).  In the NBA draft you would trade five picks for the top pick every time.  You need stars in basketball, not a lot of players with quality minutes. 

I'm not saying I don't think Arkansas can win a lot of games next year, I'm saying I don't think Arkansas has a better situation than A&M next year.  By the way, every non homerish Arkansas person agrees with me.  Just look at the preseason rankings for next year.

weresoclose

Ultimately it shouldn't matter.  General interest has declined.  Five straight years of mediocrity will do that.  We must go another direction.

Besides the Bills, there are many more coaches better than Heath.  

Whoever is coach next year will be coach for the next three, and three more years is too much Heath.  Time to play our hand.

Porkatarian

I have nothing personal against Stan.  However, I feel that our SEC road record of 7 -33 over the last 5 years is unacceptable.

I think a change is needed, and even if we don't end up with Gillespie or Self, we can still have a huge upgrade.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Jim Harris

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 07, 2007, 04:44:25 pm

I have nothing personal against Stan.  However, I feel that our SEC road record of 7 -33 over the last 5 years is unacceptable.

I think a change is needed, and even if we don't end up with Gillespie or Self, we can still have a huge upgrade.

Porkatarian out...

yes, but our road record in our past six road games is 2-4. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mbgrulz

Quote from: dotnet on March 07, 2007, 04:32:26 pm
Quote from: mbgrulz on March 07, 2007, 04:26:23 pm
I bet BG doesnt like being second fiddle. driven men like him dont want to settle for good enough. they want it all.

1. Why don't we just get Billy Donovan?  He must hate playing second fiddle?  And if you think BG is playing second fiddle right now, you don't know much about what is going on in Texas.

2.  Washington wasn't a 5* recruit. 

3. A&M has a top 3 center coming next year, plus players who have played a lot of minutes.  In the NFL you would trade the top pick for extra picks most of the time (ask the Patriots and the Chargers).  In the NBA draft you would trade five picks for the top pick every time.  You need stars in basketball, not a lot of players with quality minutes. 

I'm not saying I don't think Arkansas can win a lot of games next year, I'm saying I don't think Arkansas has a better situation than A&M next year.  By the way, every non homerish Arkansas person agrees with me.  Just look at the preseason rankings for next year.
wow, you've talked to every non-homerish arkansas person. impressive.

washington was a 5* recruit...at one point.

in basketball, you need stars. a very true statement. have you seen patrick beverley? yeah, he's pretty good. he will also be here for 4 years which is a benefit all in itself for a new HC.

preseason rankings are like tits on a boar hog...WORTHLESS! all they do is make things easier for over hyped teams and harder for under the radar teams. just ask the football team.

donovan is at florida's best university with one of the nicest states in the nation.. UF has nationwide pull and has some of the best weather and women in the country. they have one of the best home-court advantages in the country and i dont really think he is second fiddle to anybody.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 07, 2007, 04:44:25 pm

Porkatarian out...
I couldn't agree more. I'm tired of seeing the Hogs get out-hustled and Stan out-coached. They say teams tend to take on their coach's personality and I'm sick of the Hogs playing like the Lionel Ritchie of college basketball. Even if we can't get a BG or BS we can get a coach that could bring a pulse back to the program and create some genuine excitement in BWA.

Fletch

It's hard for me not to root for Heath as well. That said I want to win worse than I want Stan and there are always a few good up and coming coaches out there with class so I am ready to see if I will like the next one as well as Stan.
I feel like $100

pignatious

Quote from: drakehog on March 07, 2007, 11:01:00 am
All of a sudden, there's this strong whisper going around that Stan Heath might not have to do all that it was said he had to do two weeks ago, that a good showing in the SECT (a couple of wins) might be enough to stay another year, whether the NCAA calls or not.

Something tells me the feedback via agents to Self and/or Gillispie aren't what was hoped.

Something tells me our administration is cheap and not committed to winning.
Freedom is never free.

pignatious

I would rather take a chance on improving. We know what Stan can do. Basically nothing.
Freedom is never free.

slopinhogs

i don't think Stan should be fired at the end of the year. he took over a hell of a mes when he came here and then having guys like brewer and others leaving early has cost hin=m dearly. i think he has made a couple of mistakes . sure he has. he could have gone out his first yrear and hired Hipsher. he didn't do that . he has a complete new front court this year. Beverly has played like a senior all year but erving and sonny have taken a while to adjust to each other and the sec.

this is not Stans fault. he has done a good job with the hand he was dealt.and has gotten better each year. i think putting demands on a coach to win a tournament or what ever is way to childish of a way to get him to perform to his best abilities.

a sit down an azz chewing by the boss or a pat on the back whartever it takes. then if he fails to live up to expectations  call him in and tell him we can't use him any more. but be men about it.

we aren't far from being a great team . another Power forward and a point guard  or two would help tremendously.
another Beverly would be sweet and we need a big man to play post the way it is supposed to be played.

this should all happen on Stans watch and i'm not a hugger for sure.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die