Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please Explain Why Heath.........................

Started by HogTies, March 05, 2007, 11:29:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pork-e-pine

we should be in the tourney every year.  stan's progress stopped this year and he didn't win enough to earn a down year.

So we should breeze into the tournament because that should be our default position.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

ColumbianHog

HogTies,

To answer your question about why did we expect to breeze into the dance, I think it's because Coach Heath had improved the team every year since he started and finally made the Dance last season.  Therefore it was natural for fans to expect him to improve again and make the dance again this season.

Personally, I believe we should keep Coach Heath.  He is suffering a setback this season but the road to success isn't always without bumps.  It has taken time but he has built the program up significantly from when he started even counting this season's disappointments.  I feel he deserves AT LEAST one more season.  I hope the administration can avoid a knee jerk reaction to one season's downturn.  However, I'm afraid they will let him go if we don't win the SEC Tourney.  Let's hope we just win the thing and settle it for another year.

snag

Mrs. Heath HogTies: I appreciate what you are trying to do for your husband Coach Heath, but I don't think its going to work. Here's the bottom line: Stan had three years of grace to rebuild the program in his way. Last year, we didn't improve as the season wore on, and then we lost in the first round of the tournament to an average team. Well, it seemed we had other factors to consider - the big men were only sophomores, there was a lack of team Chemistry (Modica and Townes were considered the main factors), and a lack of depth at the guard position (leading to "tired legs"). At the start of this season, we heard the claims of much-improved team chemistry and guard play, we were loaded with Juniors, had a seasoned point guard for the first time, and this year was going to be better than last. It started out pretty good, but soon deteriorated into the typical inconsistency, lack of chemistry, and unfocused effort that has characterized every year of Razorback basketball under Stan Heath. The problem, IMO, is not so much a lack of talent or even necessarily effort, but a lack of focus...which leads to poor execution...which leads back to the head coach. Sorry, everybody likes Stan, but it ain't workin. I'm sure you guys he will find a better fit and Stan will do well at whatever he does. Lord knows you should have plenty of money in the bank! Take care and God bless.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HogTies on March 05, 2007, 11:29:24 pm
should have just breezed into the dance this year!  This question is for all the knowledgable basketball fans.  We lost 4 guards, over 75% of our scoring from last year, and we have the 12 toughest schedule in the nation... so what made anyone think we would even have a chance to be dancing!  LSU was in the Final 4 with the SEC player of the year returning, how are they looking?  They lost 1 guy to the pros and lost one of their guards and we see what happens!  Let the man stay and win the SEC next year and bring in another great recruiting class!  Oh and by the way this season is not over by a long shot!  GO HOGS... do the damn thang!

man, I agree with you. We finished where we were supposed to finish. Ole Miss and Mississippi State exceeded expectations. We didn't. We take care of business at ONE PLACE, Oxford, and we're not even having the damn discussion.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

dirtydoghog

Quote from: ColumbianHog on March 06, 2007, 12:19:38 pm
HogTies,

To answer your question about why did we expect to breeze into the dance, I think it's because Coach Heath had improved the team every year since he started and finally made the Dance last season.  Therefore it was natural for fans to expect him to improve again and make the dance again this season.

Personally, I believe we should keep Coach Heath.  He is suffering a setback this season but the road to success isn't always without bumps.  It has taken time but he has built the program up significantly from when he started even counting this season's disappointments.  I feel he deserves AT LEAST one more season.  I hope the administration can avoid a knee jerk reaction to one season's downturn.  However, I'm afraid they will let him go if we don't win the SEC Tourney.  Let's hope we just win the thing and settle it for another year.

I can't say that a part of me doesn't want to see Coach Heath come back for another year.  I am a season ticket holder and I have to be honest that our style of play does bore me at times.  The biggest frustration that I have at this point is the offense and our inability to get the ball inbounds under our own basket.  I may be incorrect, but I believe Himpshire(sp) is the coach who specializes in those two areas.  If Heath is brought back, would you like to see a change made in that area?  I think I could feel good about bring Stan back if he would make that upgrade.  The coach he hired last year for our defense has been outstanding!  I think this small change could do wonders, what do you think?

Niels Boar

Quote from: drakehog on March 06, 2007, 12:58:14 pm
should have just breezed into the dance this year!  This question is for all the knowledgable basketball fans.  We lost 4 guards, over 75% of our scoring from last year, and we have the 12 toughest schedule in the nation... so what made anyone think we would even have a chance to be dancing!  LSU was in the Final 4 with the SEC player of the year returning, how are they looking?  They lost 1 guy to the pros and lost one of their guards and we see what happens!  Let the man stay and win the SEC next year and bring in another great recruiting class!  Oh and by the way this season is not over by a long shot!  GO HOGS... do the damn thang!

man, I agree with you. We finished where we were supposed to finish. Ole Miss and Mississippi State exceeded expectations. We didn't. We take care of business at ONE PLACE, Oxford, and we're not even having the damn discussion.

Horse hockey.  7-9 when nobody in the West could muster a winning conference record is where we are supposed to be?  No top 40 RPI teams in the West?  When is our conference schedule ever going to be easier?   Bama and LSU, the favorites, fell off the map.  How low have our standards gone?  Ervin was supposed to be an improvement over Ferguson.  Beverley is probably as good an all-around player as Modica.    Weem isn't chopped liver.  Heck, we managed 7-9 in 2000 with a bunch of frosh and sophmores,  Joe for only half a season, and two top-25 RPI team in the West and 3 in the East.   All we needed were a couple of more wins to be solidly on the bubble.  We broke long losing streaks during the season for Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, and USC.  Just win two of those and we win the West and have a bid.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 06, 2007, 01:33:39 pm
Quote from: drakehog on March 06, 2007, 12:58:14 pm

Horse hockey.  7-9 when nobody in the West could muster a winning conference record is where we are supposed to be?  No top 40 RPI teams in the West?  When is our conference schedule ever going to be easier?   Bama and LSU, the favorites, fell off the map.  How low have our standards gone?  Ervin was supposed to be an improvement over Ferguson.  Beverley is probably as good an all-around player as Modica.    Weem isn't chopped liver.  Heck, we managed 7-9 in 2000 with a bunch of frosh and sophmores,  Joe for only half a season, and two top-25 RPI team in the West and 3 in the East.   All we needed were a couple of more wins to be solidly on the bubble.  We broke long losing streaks during the season for Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, and USC.  Just win two of those and we win the West and have a bid.

Just guessing, but I think he meant we were supposed to finish 3rd in the West, not 7-9.

seqco

How many more times are you going to watch a coach like Pat Flannery make Heath look like a Jr. high coach.

razorbackfan4life

I know we were so close to having a good record this year, but it's been like that the last 3.....he can't win the games we should!  Like I said....I like Heath, but we could be so much better than what we are.

HogTies

I understand everyones pain!  I hurt too when we lose to teams I feel we should have beaten but I get really happy too when we beat teams that we weren't supposed to beat!  Win the games we are supposed to and lose the games we are supposed to and it just about evens out!  I am not really sure in a league soooo close in competition that anyone can really be "supposed" to win a game!

As far as that coaching change a gentleman suggested earlier... couldn't hurt!  We have a very solid frontline and should be used to score or at least to work from the inside out!  Having said that, Townes is our only real scoring threat on the block this year(IMO) but lacks on the D!  Reason I say Thomas isn't much of a scorer inside is because he isn't the same presence in the lane as he was before he lost weight... he isn't physically moving players out of his way!  He is good just not the same post player he has been before he lost weight(IMO)!

And for the CUTE poster with things crossed out... thanks for taking your time to do that, I didn't want anyone to know!

RedSatinHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 06, 2007, 09:51:07 am
Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 09:45:40 am
Quote from: cosmodrum on March 06, 2007, 09:34:17 am
Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?
Did you expect us to be great this year?  If so, why? 

I agree that freshman can come in and be great!  I also believe that experience wins out over talent any day!  Tenn has one of the best shooting guards in the NCAA, so that takes alot of pressure of of the freshman!  All the teams in the West ahead of us have very experienced guards so to me it is no suprise we are 3rd... would it be better if we would have been 3rd behind LSU and Bama like everyone predicted?

He's won 7 road games in 5 years. And no, to your point, I didn't expect much this year, simply because of the new faces. However, it turns out that we have some great talent. What has heath done with that talent? Our best win this year was at Vanderbilt. And don't give me the "new team/young team/etc" argument. Look at UNC last year, Texas this year. Plenty of young teams have done well throughout the history of this sport.

What happened in '96 after the team from the previous 2 seasons either graduated or bolted for the draft?

Answer:  We got an at-large bid when no one in the country really thought we deserved it.

Then along came '97 and we barely made the NIT.

'98 and '99 saw us barely make it in after sitting on the tournament bubble.

In '00, we had to win the SEC tourney to get into the big dance.

'01 and '02 we didn't even make the dance.

The point being that Heath did not bring this thing to Fayetteville with him.  It existed to some degree for at least 7 seasons before his arrival.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

HogTies

[/quote]

What happened in '96 after the team from the previous 2 seasons either graduated or bolted for the draft?

Answer:  We got an at-large bid when no one in the country really thought we deserved it.

Then along came '97 and we barely made the NIT.

'98 and '99 saw us barely make it in after sitting on the tournament bubble.

In '00, we had to win the SEC tourney to get into the big dance.

'01 and '02 we didn't even make the dance.

The point being that Heath did not bring this thing to Fayetteville with him.  It existed to some degree for at least 7 seasons before his arrival.
[/quote]

But dude... we are Arkansas! JK... excellent post!  We are about were we should be IMO all things considered!  I think that Heath(being a very young coach) could end up with quite ball club if we let him keep building his team and his experience as a head coach!  Let's go run through the SECT, dance a little, and next year we will be top of the SEC and I dare say Elite 8 or better next year!

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 09:45:40 am
Quote from: cosmodrum on March 06, 2007, 09:34:17 am
Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?
Did you expect us to be great this year?  If so, why? 

7 SEC road wins EVER!!  We aren't just talking about this year.  What is it with apologists for mediocrity and short sightedness?  Stan hasn't gotten it done for FIVE years.  Houston hasn't gotten it done for NINE years.  Fire them both.

31to6

Because we are a top-20 basketball program, damnit. We should go to the big dance almost every year! So far, his pinnacle of success has been turning down NIT and 1-and-out with Brewer and co. This team is 100% his from top to bottom. The talent is phenominal. If we have nobody to run the point who's fault is that? Particularly since he seems to be a much better recruiter than a game-coach. Right now he is doing "less with more" and that is the sad part.

Stan has had 5 years and a free hand to build a competitive program. He got the assistants he wanted and FB hasn't meddled in his gameplan. As for the team roster, it is his job to manage his scholarships and recruit what will be needed down the road. If the cupboard was left bare after last season that is a problem of his creation at this point.

If he gets us into the NCAAT and wins his first round, I believe he will stay. Anything less and I think he is gone. I think he knows this. I think his players know this. If it has motivated him and them to put in extra effort then more power to him if it pays off.

But 5 years of mediocrity is enough. No dance, no Stan. It's really as simple as that in my mind.

I am a Hog fan through and through and so I say Go Hogs! with the utmost sincerity.

But if Stan can't guide his teams to the NCAAT reliably, then his players deserve a better coach.

RedSatinHog

I was as prepared for an off-year as I could have been coming into this season.  I don't see how anyone in their right mind could have expected us to be better given the fact that we lost Brewer and Modica alone, saying nothing of Eric Ferguson.

Every year, the team has gotten progressively better, at least until this year.  The problem is that Razorback fans are a very impatient bunch when it comes to basketball.  They're willing to accept UNLV bowl appearances as a sign of success, but let them go to the NIT and they're ready to fire whoever the hoops coach is.

With all that said, I still hope that Heath bolts for a job elsewhere.  It looks bad for us to fire a coach when his teams had the records they've posted.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 06, 2007, 03:04:12 pm
I was as prepared for an off-year as I could have been coming into this season.  I don't see how anyone in their right mind could have expected us to be better given the fact that we lost Brewer and Modica alone, saying nothing of Eric Ferguson.

Every year, the team has gotten progressively better, at least until this year.  The problem is that Razorback fans are a very impatient bunch when it comes to basketball.  They're willing to accept UNLV bowl appearances as a sign of success, but let them go to the NIT and they're ready to fire whoever the hoops coach is.

With all that said, I still hope that Heath bolts for a job elsewhere.  It looks bad for us to fire a coach when his teams had the records they've posted.
We have a more talented team than last season.  Brewer was the only one of the three who was a significant loss.  Modica could score, but only if he ignored every other facet of the game AND every other player on the floor.  Ferguson should have never had a scholarship.  Stan's inability to recruit a PG was the only reason EF was still here, and that problem is still biting us in the arse.  We still don't have a clue how to defend perimeter player, break a press, or inbound against any pressure whatsoever.  We still play without heart when the game is on the line, and don't push the ball inside to our big men enough.  We still show no understanding of spacing and actual motion in our motion offense.  Five seasons under Heath, and we are facing the exact same difficulties as year one, other than overall talent.  He's a pretty good recruiter, but that's not enough.  It's time to move on.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 06, 2007, 03:09:40 pm

We have a more talented team than last season.   Brewer was the only one of the three who was a significant loss.  Modica could score, but only if he ignored every other facet of the game AND every other player on the floor.  Ferguson should have never had a scholarship.  Stan's inability to recruit a PG was the only reason EF was still here, and that problem is still biting us in the arse.  We still don't have a clue how to defend perimeter player, break a press, or inbound against any pressure whatsoever.  We still play without heart when the game is on the line, and don't push the ball inside to our big men enough.  We still show no understanding of spacing and actual motion in our motion offense.  Five seasons under Heath, and we are facing the exact same difficulties as year one, other than overall talent.  He's a pretty good recruiter, but that's not enough.  It's time to move on.

That all goes back to experience.  All of ours left via graduation and the draft last year.

hOUSTon NUTT

We have a more talented team than last season.  Brewer was the only one of the three who was a significant loss.  Modica could score, but only if he ignored every other facet of the game AND every other player on the floor.  Ferguson should have never had a scholarship.  Stan's inability to recruit a PG was the only reason EF was still here, and that problem is still biting us in the arse.  We still don't have a clue how to defend perimeter player, break a press, or inbound against any pressure whatsoever.  We still play without heart when the game is on the line, and don't push the ball inside to our big men enough.  We still show no understanding of spacing and actual motion in our motion offense.  Five seasons under Heath, and we are facing the exact same difficulties as year one, other than overall talent.  He's a pretty good recruiter, but that's not enough.  It's time to move on.

How many from last years team were 1st or 2nd team SEC or Honorable mention?  6th man? 

I say that because I can't remember, but we had no one on the first 3 teams...

HogTies

Hong Kong... who said this team is more talented?  We lost 75% of our scoring, was that all Brewer and Modica?  It sure didn't hurt to have 3 senior guards and Brewer did it?  Now, If you think that this team is more talented then you are purely speculating!  I think it will be one of the best teams we have had in over 10 years, next year!  Let the man do his job and be glad that we will have another great recruiting class coming in and you will see a rebuilt BBall team... amd I mean from the bottom of the barrel!

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on March 06, 2007, 03:31:13 pm
Guys, it's not about who's coming and going. It's about coaching and motivating.

Stan is ok at coaching. But he couldn't get a man with his arse on fire to jump in a lake.

That's what it comes down too.

Bingo.  Heath gets outcoached by EVERYBODY.  It won't matter whether or not our team is more talented.  It won't matter how old our guards are.  They get outcoached, and they don't act like they want to play for long stretches of most games...

HogTies

I keep hearing that we are at top 20 program... when is the last time we were ranked in the top 20?  Or did you mean a top 20 team in"puh-tin-shul?

RedSatinHog

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on March 06, 2007, 03:25:01 pm
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 06, 2007, 03:16:05 pm

We have a more talented team than last season.   Brewer was the only one of the three who was a significant loss.  Modica could score, but only if he ignored every other facet of the game AND every other player on the floor.  Ferguson should have never had a scholarship.  Stan's inability to recruit a PG was the only reason EF was still here, and that problem is still biting us in the arse.  We still don't have a clue how to defend perimeter player, break a press, or inbound against any pressure whatsoever.  We still play without heart when the game is on the line, and don't push the ball inside to our big men enough.  We still show no understanding of spacing and actual motion in our motion offense.  Five seasons under Heath, and we are facing the exact same difficulties as year one, other than overall talent.  He's a pretty good recruiter, but that's not enough.  It's time to move on.

That all goes back to experience.  All of ours left via graduation and the draft last year.
How long have you been a fan of Alaska Hoops?

Alaska Hoops?  Never.  I just happen to be from Arkansas and live in Alaska via military PCS.

LordStanleysHog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on March 05, 2007, 11:56:12 pm
Quote from: HogTies on March 05, 2007, 11:52:14 pm
Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on March 05, 2007, 11:43:33 pm

Loss on the road to E6 South Carolina.  Loss at home to E5 Georgia.  Win those, we're 9-7 with a bye and a shoe in to the tournament. 

BTW, 9-7 isn't getting it done at the U of A. 

Ummm, SC swept the NC last year and yes UG did hit 4 three pointers in the last 2 mins(1 from 30 feet) to win so I guess I hear what you are saying!
Bottom line is without experience at the guards, you are gonna struggle!   So because teams are suppose to be good in tradition means they can't go 7-9... wait Duke is 7-9!  My question is why did anyone think we would have an easy time dancing with what we lost from lsat year?  Besides would it make you feel better if er traded a lose to Vandy for a win over SC or trade the UG lose for a lose to Bama?

It's a basketball given that you will lose some games when your guards are inexperienced.  However, that is not the major problem with this team.  We are more talented than almost every team we play.  The problem has been motivation.  Stan's said it, Darian Townes repeats it like it's a mantra, Charles Thomas is a broken record, etc. 

The past 2 wins reinforce the reason Stan should go.  He can't motivate his boys game in and game out.  BTW, guard play wasn't the reason for our losses to Auburn and Tennessee where we gave up a combined 34 offensive rebounds to the two smallest squads in the SEC.  Our big boys have been lathargic, and lethargy is the odor of death for a head coach...

Maybe not Auburn, but our lack of guard play in successfully breaking a press was the reason we lost to Tennessee, we don't make those turn-overs and the rebound margin doesn't matter.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on March 06, 2007, 03:47:36 pm
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 06, 2007, 03:43:57 pm
Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on March 06, 2007, 03:25:01 pm
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 06, 2007, 03:16:05 pm

How long have you been a fan of Alaska Hoops?

Alaska Hoops?  Never.  I just happen to be from Arkansas and live in Alaska via military PCS.
Oh ok, cool. I visited Juneau once. It's gorgeous up there. Good luck to you.

Yeah, Juneau is kind of a wierd place to have the capital of the state.  Absolutely no way to get there by land.  It's either air or sea.  I've yet to go there, but I may do so next year.

HogTies

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on March 06, 2007, 03:45:54 pm
Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 03:39:10 pm
I keep hearing that we are at top 20 program... when is the last time we were ranked in the top 20?  Or did you mean a top 20 team in"puh-tin-shul?
What's your point? I think the fact that you think "Stan is a very good coach" says everything about your basketball knowledge. Whether it be knowledge about x's and o's, present day Razorback Basketball or history of Razorback Basketball, your opinion is null and void based upon your opinon on Stan.

He's not a good Head Coach. He can't motivate and he can't get his guys to execute.

If your point is we haven't been very good for a while, your right. But if your point is we have to just accept it and like it, your wrong.

Either way, you don't know what your talking about.

I don't think Heath is as bad as he is portrayed to be...thats all!  Do I think he is a great coach, no not yet!  Does he have potential, absolutely!  I never once said he is a great coach but he has done what he was brought in to do and thats turn this program around!  Would I have liked it if he did it his first year, absolutely or even his 3rd but look at what a mess he came into!  Could Coach K win with bad players, no!  This is his first year with all his players and next year will be a staple of what is to come... I would sure hate to miss out on all that potential!

d1nonlyhogfan

Great points. I agree. I just think that too many people were carrying over their disappointment with the way things turned out in the football program into ill feelings toward Stan Heath. From the beginning of the season, a lot of people have been holding him to a higher standard. To be honest, I think that 18-12 overall is better than we should have expected after losing Brewer, Modica and E-Ferg. Who loses their top 3 scorers in one season in a big conference and wins their conference the next season? Truth be told, Arkansas is positioned as well as anybody in the West to make the SECCG on Sunday, and I would not be surprised to see them there. It appears that all of the player/coach bashing has only managed to light a big fire under this team, and I can't wait to see what happens.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Razor-back

HogTies

Well how is is coach K doing this year? 7-9 with better players, right? A very proven coach with great players and a great tradition!  C'mon Hog fans... don't get the big head because we won one NC game 13 years ago!  People used to beeotch about Nolan all the time when he was here so none of this suprises me... wish we had a pro team so you guys could have more people to bash!

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 04:12:14 pm
Well how is is coach K doing this year? 7-9 with better players, right? A very proven coach with great players and a great tradition!  C'mon Hog fans... don't get the big head because we won one NC game 13 years ago!  People used to beeotch about Nolan all the time when he was here so none of this suprises me... wish we had a pro team so you guys could have more people to bash!
I'm with ya.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Hogway

Guys we put McCurdy on Lofton!  After you think about that for a minute then think about our inbounds plays for the entire season.  After you think about that a few more minutes then think about how we handled pressure all season.  Then think about what Bob Knight said after we played Texas Tech.  After you think about those things then make your final decisions. 

31to6

I mean historically. Street & Smith's ranked us 8th all-time. We have facilities, tradition, fanbase, reputation and visibility (if we start winning again) of a nationally-competitive basketball program.

MaconBacon

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on March 06, 2007, 04:07:23 pm
Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 03:54:11 pm
Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on March 06, 2007, 03:45:54 pm
What's your point? I think the fact that you think "Stan is a very good coach" says everything about your basketball knowledge. Whether it be knowledge about x's and o's, present day Razorback Basketball or history of Razorback Basketball, your opinion is null and void based upon your opinon on Stan.

He's not a good Head Coach. He can't motivate and he can't get his guys to execute.

If your point is we haven't been very good for a while, your right. But if your point is we have to just accept it and like it, your wrong.

Either way, you don't know what your talking about.

I don't think Heath is as bad as he is portrayed to be...thats all!  Do I think he is a great coach, no not yet!  Does he have potential, absolutely!  I never once said he is a great coach but he has done what he was brought in to do and thats turn this program around!  Would I have liked it if he did it his first year, absolutely or even his 3rd but look at what a mess he came into!  Could Coach K win with bad players, no!  This is his first year with all his players and next year will be a staple of what is to come... I would sure hate to miss out on all that potential!
First of all if coach K was here we would have better players. Stan's third team quit on him. He has no concept of what it takes to break kids down and build them back. Instead, they bitch and moan and complain and whine.

Look, Stan is your good number 1 assistant. He can recruit and momma's like him. He's the good cop the kid goes too when the Head Coach has broken his foot off in him.

Stan is not a head guy! He's not going to be. Arkansas legacy and future deserves a true head coach.
It's not about his kids or Nolans kids or anything like that. It's what he does when they get here. He has no clue as to how to command his team.

If that is the potential you would hate to miss, that is sad.

Make up your mind. Is it the coach or the kids? From the heat Stan has been receiving, I would say he has a VERY good idea of what it takes to be a "good" SEC coach and what we expect out of him. The top teams have been sucking on and off all season and yes with those "star" recruits so just put that aside. We are lucky to have the talent we have after carrying a black eye for so long. Stan has had an honest 3 seasons at best. I think Stan will get another year unless he steps down.

HogTies

You are right... circumstances don't matter!  You are right...I don't know Hogs BBall history, I have lived and breath Hog ball for over 37 years!  Now Sherlock, when was the last time we were ranked 20?  I know what that report said about 8th in the nation but that is if the circumstances were right... wait circumstances don't matter!  Hell even better, when were we ranked 8th?

MaconBacon

To me a "great" coach is Self, Williams, Coach K etc....someone proven.  Not a one hit wonder and Im not beating up on Coach Gill. but he's not really proven in my book.    I doubt seriously that we can pull a big name immediately and If we are going to make a move, thats what it needs to be....BIG   Dont get me wrong, I think Stan should have done better. Having said that, It's really going to be ugly if the program doesn't come together in another 3-5 yrs. with a semi- newb. It will be horrific if the same thing happens with a big name.

H&D

Quote from: HogTies on March 05, 2007, 11:42:14 pm
Quote from: hogsnot06 on March 05, 2007, 11:33:11 pm
Solid points, all.

Thanks!  I have just heard so much about firing Heath that I thought maybe I missed something! 

It is a Hugger conspiracy to take attention away from nutt's shortcomings.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 06, 2007, 04:47:28 pm
To me a "great" coach is Self, Williams, Coach K etc....someone proven.  Not a one hit wonder and Im not beating up on Coach Gill. but he's not really proven in my book.    I doubt seriously that we can pull a big name immediately and If we are going to make a move, thats what it needs to be....BIG   Dont get me wrong, I think Stan should have done better. Having said that, It's really going to be ugly if the program doesn't come together in another 3-5 yrs. with a semi- newb. It will be horrific if the same thing happens with a big name.
Especially if we're paying them $2 mil.

canadianrazorback

March 06, 2007, 04:50:27 pm #86 Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 07:35:14 pm by canadianrazorback
How long has Heath had to get a decent point guard in here?  How much longer are you going to give him?  For the most part, Heath has brought talent here, but are we not missing something.  If we had a decent PG, there would be no worries right now.  Buh Bye.

HogTies

Believe me when I tell you I would love to have Coach K or Williams... Self is a little questionable to me!  Fire Heath if you get those first 2 but if you can't get those guys... it will do no good!  By the way, we will never get those 2 guys!  Heath has had great recruiting classes every year and imagine how hard it was his first couple of seasons when we were in the toilet!  Its hard enough to recruit in AR anyway!  Bash me for saying that but it is true... young men want 3 things, GIRLS, NBA, and alot more girls!  They don't give 2 shyts about BWA or a NC 13 years ago or you, the fan!  It is something that will never change until AR has a beach or lots of night clubs!

HogTies

Quote from: canadianrazorback on March 06, 2007, 04:50:27 pm
How long has Heath had to get a decent point guard in here?  How much longer are you going to give him? 

He has one coming in next year... I will give him until then!  Look fellas... I feel that if Heath doesn't win the SEC or go to the Sweet 16 next year, he should be fired but I don't think it should be right now... thats all!

lrar1974

Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 04:59:45 pm
Quote from: canadianrazorback on March 06, 2007, 04:50:27 pm
How long has Heath had to get a decent point guard in here?  How much longer are you going to give him? 

He has one coming in next year... I will give him until then!  Look fellas... I feel that if Heath doesn't win the SEC or go to the Sweet 16 next year, he should be fired but I don't think it should be right now... thats all!
Well, you would be wrong. He needs to go in a big time way.

ThisLittlePiggieSays

MaconBacon

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggieSays on March 06, 2007, 05:27:38 pm
6 road wins in 5 year's FIRE STAN NOW

This is really one of the aspects that cant be ignored. I totally agree that this is embarrassing. Its easy to say fire! fire!  But who is it going to take his place that's not going to be somewhat of a gamble?  Does anyone honestly think that we have a shot at a major name? I love Arkansas and not to knock the state, but outsiders don't seem to care for the area unless they have a tie here or they need a bigger check.  I still feel like we are carrying some of the funk that Nolan left. You know deep down he must have some satisfaction on the years of turmoil we have endured.

pignatious

We've won 7 SEC road games in 5 years. Enuff said.
Freedom is never free.

HogTies

Is it enough said... really?  Do you know where Stan has taken this team from?  I know, I know, we are the AR Razorbacks... I get it already!  Get your head out of the clouds and use your BBall brain for one minute... where did you think we would be once Nolan left us with nothing?  I am sick and tired of hearing why we should be a top 20 program and why we should be dancing every year!  We weren't hardly dancing when Nolan was here, so why after firing a Hall of Fame coach would we be any closer?

riccoar

Because Heath said we would make the NCAAT.

razorbackfan4life

Nolan didn't recruit very well in his latter years.  That's why we weren't that good.  We had a few good ones, but back in the mid 90's we were stacked.....  If Nolan had these players......I cant imagine how good we would be. 

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: riccoar on March 06, 2007, 11:50:12 pm
Because Heath said we would make the NCAAT.

Yup..he said it..... anything less would be a FAILURE

riccoar

That statement should show anyone just how inexperienced a coach Heath is.  The football team will be picked to place 2nd in the West next season and get some first place votes, you'll still never hear HDN say "we will" to either scenario.  And I want HDN fired yesterday.

HogTies

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on March 06, 2007, 11:52:42 pm
Nolan didn't recruit very well in his latter years.  That's why we weren't that good.  We had a few good ones, but back in the mid 90's we were stacked.....  If Nolan had these players......I cant imagine how good we would be. 

So you admit that Nolan left us with nothing but garbage, right?  Then you have to agree that winning a NC more than a decade ado doesn't make us a top 20 program?  Right, if Nolan were still here we would be in the top 5... I get it!  Well boys and girls Nolan was here and he was the one that made this little bed that we lay in, so what can you say... it will be an uphill battle from here on out?  No sir... you true Hog fans refuse to except what is reality and chose to believe that a good run in the late 80, early 90 makes us a top 20 program forever!  Heath has done his job with what he has to work with... if you think that you know of a better coach that will actually come here and bring in NCAA every year, lets hear it!  I say, you are ridiculous and need to let us keep a good thing going and let Heath CONTINUE to improve this program from where he recieved it!

hawgtahm

Quote from: HogTies on March 07, 2007, 12:01:24 am
Quote from: razorbackfan4life on March 06, 2007, 11:52:42 pm

So you admit that Nolan left us with nothing but garbage, right?  Then you have to agree that winning a NC more than a decade ado doesn't make us a top 20 program?  Right, if Nolan were still here we would be in the top 5... I get it!  Well boys and girls Nolan was here and he was the one that made this little bed that we lay in, so what can you say... it will be an uphill battle from here on out?  No sir... you true Hog fans refuse to except what is reality and chose to believe that a good run in the late 80, early 90 makes us a top 20 program forever!  Heath has done his job with what he has to work with... if you think that you know of a better coach that will actually come here and bring in NCAA every year, lets hear it!  I say, you are ridiculous and need to let us keep a good thing going and let Heath CONTINUE to improve this program from where he recieved it!

Since you keep pointing out what Heath walked into, I would like to point out that it was no worse (maybe better) than what Nolan walked into. I like Heath. I was thrilled when we hired him. I hope we do something worthy of him keeping his job (2nd round NCAA at least), and that this wake up call has a lasting effect on his approach to coaching. Something has to change, though. If not his coaching, then him.