Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please Explain Why Heath.........................

Started by HogTies, March 05, 2007, 11:29:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogTies

should have just breezed into the dance this year!  This question is for all the knowledgable basketball fans.  We lost 4 guards, over 75% of our scoring from last year, and we have the 12 toughest schedule in the nation... so what made anyone think we would even have a chance to be dancing!  LSU was in the Final 4 with the SEC player of the year returning, how are they looking?  They lost 1 guy to the pros and lost one of their guards and we see what happens!  Let the man stay and win the SEC next year and bring in another great recruiting class!  Oh and by the way this season is not over by a long shot!  GO HOGS... do the damn thang!

HogTies

Quote from: hogsnot06 on March 05, 2007, 11:33:11 pm
Solid points, all.

Thanks!  I have just heard so much about firing Heath that I thought maybe I missed something! 

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: HogTies on March 05, 2007, 11:29:24 pm
should have just breezed into the dance this year!  This question is for all the knowledgable basketball fans.  We lost 4 guards, over 75% of our scoring from last year, and we have the 12 toughest schedule in the nation... so what made anyone think we would even have a chance to be dancing!  LSU was in the Final 4 with the SEC player of the year returning, how are they looking?  They lost 1 guy to the pros and lost one of their guards and we see what happens!  Let the man stay and win the SEC next year and bring in another great recruiting class!  Oh and by the way this season is not over by a long shot!  GO HOGS... do the damn thang!

Loss on the road to E6 South Carolina.  Loss at home to E5 Georgia.  Win those, we're 9-7 with a bye and a shoe in to the tournament. 

BTW, 9-7 isn't getting it done at the U of A. 

HogTies

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on March 05, 2007, 11:43:33 pm

Loss on the road to E6 South Carolina.  Loss at home to E5 Georgia.  Win those, we're 9-7 with a bye and a shoe in to the tournament. 

Ummm, SC swept the NC last year and yes UG did hit 4 three pointers in the last 2 mins(1 from 30 feet) to win so I guess I hear what you are saying!
Bottom line is without experience at the guards, you are gonna struggle!   So because teams are suppose to be good in tradition means they can't go 7-9... wait Duke is 7-9!  My question is why did anyone think we would have an easy time dancing with what we lost from lsat year?  Besides would it make you feel better if er traded a lose to Vandy for a win over SC or trade the UG lose for a lose to Bama?

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: HogTies on March 05, 2007, 11:52:14 pm
Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on March 05, 2007, 11:43:33 pm

Ummm, SC swept the NC last year and yes UG did hit 4 three pointers in the last 2 mins(1 from 30 feet) to win so I guess I hear what you are saying!
Bottom line is without experience at the guards, you are gonna struggle!   So because teams are suppose to be good in tradition means they can't go 7-9... wait Duke is 7-9!  My question is why did anyone think we would have an easy time dancing with what we lost from lsat year?  Besides would it make you feel better if er traded a lose to Vandy for a win over SC or trade the UG lose for a lose to Bama?

It's a basketball given that you will lose some games when your guards are inexperienced.  However, that is not the major problem with this team.  We are more talented than almost every team we play.  The problem has been motivation.  Stan's said it, Darian Townes repeats it like it's a mantra, Charles Thomas is a broken record, etc. 

The past 2 wins reinforce the reason Stan should go.  He can't motivate his boys game in and game out.  BTW, guard play wasn't the reason for our losses to Auburn and Tennessee where we gave up a combined 34 offensive rebounds to the two smallest squads in the SEC.  Our big boys have been lathargic, and lethargy is the odor of death for a head coach...

towneofbeverlyhills

whoever the poster is named houston nutt makes me laugh...he read none of what the author of this thread had to say....75 percent...how much clearer does it get...heath should stay....this was a great post...+1.  oust nutt? oust urself...right of this thread...you'd do us all a favor

towneofbeverlyhills

we lost 4 guards and only one big man contributes on a regular basis....charlie t...every other big man we have is either lazy or not in the big sky confrence...i.e. hill.

arod2024

I believe his response to the 75% was saying that the guards are not the problem. We replaced that "75%" with better players. The problem, like "Houston Nutt" stated is Stan cannot motivate his players. He has no fire, therefore his team has none. Apparently the only way they are motivated is if the PTB say the coach that recruited them will be fired if they don't make the dance. I for one am tired of driving 150 miles to watch us barely get by tulsa. I like the guy personally, but he is not filling the seats, and watching the games sometimes can be out right hard to do. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

HogTies

Guards aren't the problem huh?  Who has most of our turnovers and who is responsible for gettingour big men the basketball in the post?  It used to be guards when I played! 

HawgG

Quote from: HogTies on March 05, 2007, 11:42:14 pm
Solid points, all.

Thanks!  I have just heard so much about firing Heath that I thought maybe I missed something! 

HogTies allow me to reinforce your statement about what losing your top players can mean to a lot of teams.

UCON:16-13 (29-4 last year)

California:14-16 (21-11 last year)

Cincy:11-19 (21-13 last year)

George Mason:18-15 (27-9 last year)

Iowa:17-13 (25-9 last year)

NC State:15-14 (23-10 last year)

Washington:18-12 (26-7 last year)

Unless you do a great job of reloading your team will be down some until the new guys can learn the system and gain experience.
UCONN has tremendous talent but it is all young.They will be great next season.Everybody can't have a Kevin Durant or Greg Oden which gives your team instant credibility.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 12:31:22 am
Guards aren't the problem huh?  Who has most of our turnovers and who is responsible for gettingour big men the basketball in the post?  It used to be guards when I played! 

Oh, we get it, you don't want facts.  You want to blame the guards, who are coached by someone...

HogTies

As far as not filling the seats... sounds like the fans fualt!  Blame Stan for fans not even standing up this year when we were trading the lead back and forth with Kentucky this year!  LSU sold out when they were 3-9 in the SEC... hmmm!

HogTies

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on March 06, 2007, 12:33:56 am
Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 12:31:22 am

Oh, we get it, you don't want facts.  You want to blame the guards, who are coached by someone...

I am not blaming anyone... I think they are doing the best they can with their lack of experience!  You my friend think that anyone that playes ball should be coached into greatness immediatly! 

HogTies

Quote from: HawgG on March 06, 2007, 12:33:52 am
Solid points, all.

HogTies allow me to reinforce your statement about what losing your top players can mean to a lot of teams.

Unless you do a great job of reloading your team will be down some until the new guys can learn the system and gain experience.
UCONN has tremendous talent but it is all young.They will be great next season.Everybody can't have a Kevin Durant or Greg Oden which gives your team instant credibility.

Thanks for some hard facts!  Glad to see someone on here knows a little about basketball!

razorbackfan4life

Then let me ask you this.......why do all the same teams seem to make the tournament EVERY year.  Regardless of their youth!!!!!  Do you remember the old Razorback ball club?  We would make the tournament every year with freshman and all.  Stop making excuses for this crap.  5 years and one NCAA appearance......(which we lost)  STOP ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!  You act like we cant do anything because we are young........or are rebuilding...
BULLSH!T.........tell that to all the other schools that seem to get it done even if they are young!

razorbackfan4life

Also a GOOD coach can make young and or average players great. 

HawgG

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on March 06, 2007, 01:12:19 am
Then let me ask you this.......why do all the same teams seem to make the tournament EVERY year.  Regardless of their youth!!!!!  Do you remember the old Razorback ball club?  We would make the tournament every year with freshman and all.  Stop making excuses for this crap.  5 years and one NCAA appearance......(which we lost)  STOP ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!  You act like we cant do anything because we are young........or are rebuilding...
BULLSH!T.........tell that to all the other schools that seem to get it done even if they are young!

WTH!!!!  Man at least read the post before you start spitting out hatefull responses.

If you had read my post there was no need for you to even write this junk.The answers are just a few scrolls up.

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: HawgG on March 06, 2007, 01:30:24 am

WTH!!!!  Man at least read the post before you start spitting out hatefull responses.

If you had read my post there was no need for you to even write this junk.The answers are just a few scrolls up.

Those aren't the only teams in college basketball......

My response wasn't hateful.......I just don't understand how people can support what we've gone through the last 5 years.  I like Stan, but not as a HC.

HogTies

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on March 06, 2007, 01:49:14 am

My response wasn't hateful.......I just don't understand how people can support what we've gone through the last 5 years.  I like Stan, but not as a HC.

Well, Has any of the schools that you are thinking about ever had to completely rebuild or have their former Hall of Fame coach bring a lawsuit against them!  I love the Hogs and want us to be great every year but that doesn't make it easy to do!  If you can name one team that has those 2 things happen to them that have great tradition, I will except your reasons for firing a guy who has turned around our program! 

Conway Cool Daddy

HogTies, those are great points.

The main problem that I see is that the ticket buyers just aren't getting behind Heath. Even early in the season the attendance at the games was horrible. It was flat out embarrassing after the Tennessee loss, For some reason people just aren't buying into Heath's brand of basketball. He's a good guy and probably a good coach, but I don't think he will ever be considered "OUR GUY."

I plan to support him until the end, but I'm not shelling out dollars to go to the games either.

dirtydoghog

These are great points.  I think it has more to do with our division and the losses that we suffered that should have been easy wins.  This team could have been in the tourny weeks ago with just a couple of wins over the likes of South Carolina, Auburn, Ole Miss or the Georgia game at home.

The thing that college basketball continues to show us is that youth is not what it once was.  Freshman can and do make a huge difference in the ball clubs these days,  and we are starting to see that with some of our freshman right now.  As a hole, the 3 that Stan brought in last year are as solid a class as the SEC had last year.  UT plays more freshman and so they get talked about more, but I would put ours man for man against UT and I think most would take our guys. 

On paper, we lost a ton of talent and scoring.  But when you break it down, I think we actually should have improved in 2 out of 3 of those positions.  Irvin should have been a better PG than we have had at any point during Heath's tenure.  Beverly does play defense as well as score, so this was an upgrade over Modica.  The loss of Brewer was huge, but the addition of Weems was key for this class.  At times, Weems as been good enough to fill that void, but on the road the leadership that Ronnie showed at times is still missing.  I think as the season has progressed, the leadership on the team as been way to inconsistant.

I do agree with you though, the season isn't over and for some stupid reason....I really feel that something special is about to happen with this team.  Go hogs! 

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

HogTies

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on March 06, 2007, 09:28:15 am

The main problem that I see is that the ticket buyers just aren't getting behind Heath. Even early in the season the attendance at the games was horrible. It was flat out embarrassing after the Tennessee loss, For some reason people just aren't buying into Heath's brand of basketball. He's a good guy and probably a good coach, but I don't think he will ever be considered "OUR GUY."

I plan to support him until the end, but I'm not shelling out dollars to go to the games either.

Thanks and I agree that fans are very snobbish these days!  It is sad to see a true Hog fan not support the Hogs because we aren't running 40 mins of hell!  I love that brand of ball but I don't think any coach should have to put on a dog and pony show for the fans!  If you are a Hog fan, then you are a Hog fan... I don't think you need to be a Stan fan to go a cheer at the games!  I personally like the product he puts on the floor(players) and maybe not his style but HE IS A RAZORBACK with class!

razorsox

Quote from: arod2024 on March 06, 2007, 12:16:27 am
I believe his response to the 75% was saying that the guards are not the problem. We replaced that "75%" with better players. The problem, like "Houston Nutt" stated is Stan cannot motivate his players. He has no fire, therefore his team has none. Apparently the only way they are motivated is if the PTB say the coach that recruited them will be fired if they don't make the dance. I for one am tired of driving 150 miles to watch us barely get by tulsa. I like the guy personally, but he is not filling the seats, and watching the games sometimes can be out right hard to do. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Really? Tell me which one is better than Brewer!
The last thing we need is a bunch of rednecks running around with McFadden Cowboy jerseys.

Melhog

Young and rebuilding huh.  That seemed to be an acceptable excuse if it was the football team.  I think its time for Stan to go, but don't understand how he gets the axe when the football coach weathers the storm. I will bet anything that this team will be good next yr with or without Stan.  I guess the bottom line is the stands are empty and that's really all that matters anymore to our administation.  Football stands are full so Dale is safe.

HogTies

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 06, 2007, 09:34:17 am
Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?
Did you expect us to be great this year?  If so, why? 

I agree that freshman can come in and be great!  I also believe that experience wins out over talent any day!  Tenn has one of the best shooting guards in the NCAA, so that takes alot of pressure of of the freshman!  All the teams in the West ahead of us have very experienced guards so to me it is no suprise we are 3rd... would it be better if we would have been 3rd behind LSU and Bama like everyone predicted?

blacksuit

That one guy LSU lost? Yeah, he's pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_rIi_ee2XY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewithleather%2Ecom%2Fpost%2Ephtml%3Fpk%3D2271

HogTies

Quote from: blacksuit on March 06, 2007, 09:46:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_rIi_ee2XY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewithleather%2Ecom%2Fpost%2Ephtml%3Fpk%3D2271

Yea... that one guy we lost is pretty good too(Brewer) and the other 3 guards we lost too may have hurt a little more than that one guy!

cosmodrum

Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 09:45:40 am
Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?

I agree that freshman can come in and be great!  I also believe that experience wins out over talent any day!  Tenn has one of the best shooting guards in the NCAA, so that takes alot of pressure of of the freshman!  All the teams in the West ahead of us have very experienced guards so to me it is no suprise we are 3rd... would it be better if we would have been 3rd behind LSU and Bama like everyone predicted?

He's won 7 road games in 5 years. And no, to your point, I didn't expect much this year, simply because of the new faces. However, it turns out that we have some great talent. What has heath done with that talent? Our best win this year was at Vanderbilt. And don't give me the "new team/young team/etc" argument. Look at UNC last year, Texas this year. Plenty of young teams have done well throughout the history of this sport.
Go away, batin'

HogTies

Quote from: blacksuit on March 06, 2007, 09:46:52 am

Great play but it was goal tending and a charge at the other end, gotta love the NBA!

cosmodrum

Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?

All the experience in the world doesn't mean poop if you don't have talent.
Go away, batin'

DeltaBoy

I agree  Can Stan and Fire NUTT!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogTies

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 06, 2007, 09:51:07 am
Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?

He's won 7 road games in 5 years. And no, to your point, I didn't expect much this year, simply because of the new faces. However, it turns out that we have some great talent. What has heath done with that talent? Our best win this year was at Vanderbilt. And don't give me the "new team/young team/etc" argument. Look at UNC last year, Texas this year. Plenty of young teams have done well throughout the history of this sport.

Did you just say UNC and Texas?  Are we suppose to be at their level when we had fallen on harder times than anybody else in the country!  If you think any coach can come here now(not like Heath did with NADA) and make us get the calibur of players that UNC and Texas get... Hog fans are getting a little out of touch!

HogTies

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 06, 2007, 09:52:49 am
Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?

So is Bucknell more talented than us or Kansas?  No, they had 5 juniors and 3 seniors when they played Kansas and then 5 seniors when they played us!  Their is nothing like playing with the same guys for 3 or 4 years!

razorhead69

We should breeze into the dance every year.
We are Arkansas for gods sake.

HogTies

Quote from: razorhead69 on March 06, 2007, 10:01:55 am

So when Nolan left us with nothing a was suing the university we should have been breezing into the dance... even in the most competitive conference in the nation?  I guess since we are Arkansas, you answer is yes!
I wonder if Indiana thought the same things after they fired Knight... did they have hard times after that?

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 09:20:21 am
Quote from: razorbackfan4life on March 06, 2007, 01:49:14 am

Well, Has any of the schools that you are thinking about ever had to completely rebuild or have their former Hall of Fame coach bring a lawsuit against them!  I love the Hogs and want us to be great every year but that doesn't make it easy to do!  If you can name one team that has those 2 things happen to them that have great tradition, I will except your reasons for firing a guy who has turned around our program! 

Turned around our program????

5 years- one NCAA tournament appearance(which we lost)
Probably one of the worst road records in college basketball
Inconsistency

That's not turning a program around bud.....Billie Gillespie turned a terrible program around in 2 YEARS!

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 09:36:43 am
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on March 06, 2007, 09:28:15 am

Thanks and I agree that fans are very snobbish these days!  It is sad to see a true Hog fan not support the Hogs because we aren't running 40 mins of hell!  I love that brand of ball but I don't think any coach should have to put on a dog and pony show for the fans!  If you are a Hog fan, then you are a Hog fan... I don't think you need to be a Stan fan to go a cheer at the games!  I personally like the product he puts on the floor(players) and maybe not his style but HE IS A RAZORBACK with class!

BTW  I went to every game this year......dont tell me I don support the hogs.....I live and die by them. 

Nutts and Bolts

I own a company in NWA and I fire people all the time that make excuses.  Either you can do it or you can't.  When people are spending MY money and they make excuses...Well, lets just say they are looking for work elsewhere.
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

cosmodrum

Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 10:00:04 am
Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?

So is Bucknell more talented than us or Kansas?  No, they had 5 juniors and 3 seniors when they played Kansas and then 5 seniors when they played us!  Their is nothing like playing with the same guys for 3 or 4 years!

We had an experienced squad when we played Bucknell. We lost.
And let me address the UNC and Texas reference. Yes, I expect Arkansas to be at their level. Did I when Stan came aboard? No, and nobody with a working brain stem would have, either. But he has recruited his own players for several years, and has brought some good talent to Fayetteville. Our time in the doldrums should be over. I can't stand it when someone says to me, "Silly Hog fan, why do you expect a championship-caliber team? It's Arkansas!"

Damn right I expect it. We have no reason not to make consistent, legitamate runs at our conference titles, not to mention National Championships.
Go away, batin'

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: razorhead69 on March 06, 2007, 10:01:55 am

Thank you Razor! 

Nutts and Bolts

I agree 100% ...It is like some people accept taking two steps forward and one step back....

cosmodrum

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 06, 2007, 09:53:53 am

I agree  Can Stan and Fire NUTT!
Quote from: HogTies on March 06, 2007, 10:00:04 am
Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?

How far did Bucknell make it on experience? They won in the first round two years in a row, against inconsistent teams. I'm a Jayhawk fan too, so I was pissed off by Bucknell in 2004, as well.

Both Kansas and Arkansas were losing games they had no business losing (in 04 and 05, respectively), and Bucknell got lucky enough to play them.
Go away, batin'

Nutts and Bolts

Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?

The guys mentions "Road Record" and your response is, "So What"  I see a typical fan who accepts being mediocre....

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on March 06, 2007, 10:25:34 am
Two words:

Road Record.

Two word:

So What?

The guys mentions "Road Record" and your response is, "So What"  I see a typical fan who accepts being mediocre....

I'd buy some of this rebuilding crapola if Stan Heath had not said, the rebuilding phase is over, we are now an NCAA program. 

Yes, we had young guards (although one is a junior PG and the other is the SEC Freshman of the Year), but we had the second-most talented group of big men in the conference behind Florida.  Problem is, they were Razorslackers, not Razorbacks for most of the year...

HawgG

This is an interesting topic and in one corner we have fans like HogTies that tries to explain reasons why, and in the other corner we have fans like razorbackfan4life that goes by what should be without caring about reasons.I HawgG am a facts guy with reasons it is like this and what it will take to get better.

I understand fans that want the program better because they remember the monster that Eddie started and Nolan  took it and finished it.

We all want Arkansas to be great again, now we will never be what we were in the late 80s to the mid 90s.The landscape of College basketball has changed to much for that to happen.Dynasties are forever gone.However Arkansas can and should be a top 25 team 8 out of 10 years and that is fact.

What HogTies was saying is that the shape the program is in was not started by Stan Heath.It was started by the man before him in Nolan Richardson.He built it up and he started to tear it down gradually the last 7 years he was HC.

For those people that keep bringing up the 5 year Heath record here at Arkansas, folks just stop that.Coach Richardson recently said that he did not leave Heath with anything to work with.For the Simpleton that brought up how Billy Gillespie rebuilt Texas A&M in a couple of years, do you know how he did it? The answer is the same reason he won't be coming to coach at Arkansas.

I don't think this has been brough up by anybody but me, Heath has rebuild Arkansas into a top 25 team.Before the Razorbacks ever tipoff a game next season they will be ranked somewhere in the top 20.Isn't that one of the main things we all wanted to see.Arkansas barring injury will be between a N0.2 -N0.4 seed next season.

If Heath is retained he will bring in a proven PG in Marcus Walker.For the first time we will have quality depth in the backcourt with the 3 additions.Heath will finally be able to play the style of ball he has wanted to play since getting here.

Isn't that what fans want an exciting team that is also very good? I sure do and if that means keeping Heath then isn't that worth the wait.

MaconBacon

You guys are killing me. If we had Self and lost in the first round...like they did....you would want him gone...especially if we had the Kansas bb history. If he took us as far as the sweet 16  3 years in a row and then lost you would want him gone. You see what I am getting at here? We are used to Nolan turning what he used to call I believe, "his runts" into good ball players and winning with them. Well, he is gone and so is our shiny background of the early to mid 90's. Everyone knows it has been ugly. The bottom line is, its going to take a top 5 coaching name to bring the real players to Arkansas. If we cant do that then we need to leave it alone for another year.  Look at some of the infamous teams this season that are sucking!  Just imagine having coach K or Roy Williams here and making it to the first round every year and thats it. What happens if we dont have huge success with a huge name? Then we are really going to look bad.

outlawhogeywells

I think where most of the talk is coming from is the losses to teams that  we should have beaten...
USC, Auburn, GA at home, LSU, Ole Miss.

spudhog

Quote from: HawgG on March 06, 2007, 12:33:52 am
Solid points, all.

great stats, you can't argue with numbers but i will argue this. furgeson and monica weren't pg's so lets get that straight. second of all, mccurdy was coming back and this isn't ervin's first dance. he had all of last year to learn the offense and to get used to it. third, we play in perhaps the worse half of a power conference since the conception of a two sided conference.  also, you look at those other teams, they also lost experienced big's. i agree, we should've allowed some time for everyone to gel. but, this same team went to orlando and beat 3 good teams. therefore, probably some puffed up expectations.  i want stan to stay also but i don't want to be finishing 3rd every year in the sec west. we are not that "young" compared to this day of age of college bball.