Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

**OFFICIAL SEC TOURNAMENT BRACKET***

Started by coach, my back hurts, March 04, 2007, 02:56:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

donk

Quote from: camelt on March 04, 2007, 11:16:50 pm
Quote from: dotnet on March 04, 2007, 03:12:03 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 04, 2007, 03:04:17 pm
Well, we DID finish 3rd in the West, just as so many predicted.  ;)

Time will tell if we win 2 or 3 games in the SEC Tourney and make it to the Big Dance.

Two more wins will NOT get us into the Big Dance.  I'm not even sure that three will.  There is no way that two will though.

I disagree.  Winning 2 gets us to 20 wins and our SOS is top 15 with a RPI in the lower 40's.  Were are definatly in the conversation with bubble teams.  2 wins in the tourney would also make us 5-2 Vs ranked teams.  I bet no other teams on the bubble could make that argument.

We have to win the SECT to get in.  In case you guys forgot we had a losing record in the SEC.  We suck and the committee will see that.

Razorback88

Quote from: jbcarol on March 04, 2007, 06:16:39 pm
Quote from: weevilhogg on March 04, 2007, 05:08:47 pm
I'm thinking 12 is the lowest at-large seeding. . . . could be wrong.

12 is generally the lowest at-large seeding.  It depends on how many teams (esp. mid-major) that would get a bid win or lose go ahead and also win their conference.  That opens up more at-large bids. 

Bradley was an at-large as a 13 seed last year, but that is pretty rare.  I would assume there has never been an at-large 14-16 seed.

mrcrowley

Quote from: camelt on March 04, 2007, 11:16:50 pm

Time will tell if we win 2 or 3 games in the SEC Tourney and make it to the Big Dance.

Two more wins will NOT get us into the Big Dance.  I'm not even sure that three will.  There is no way that two will though.

I disagree.  Winning 2 gets us to 20 wins and our SOS is top 15 with a RPI in the lower 40's.  Were are definatly in the conversation with bubble teams.  2 wins in the tourney would also make us 5-2 Vs ranked teams.  I bet no other teams on the bubble could make that argument.
i concur and anyone else that understands college basketball will too..
if we win the sec we are a 4 seed. bank on it

hawgtahm

On SportsCenter tonight, they listed what all of the SEC West "bubble" teams needed to do to get into the dance. They said all of them need at least 2 SECT wins, and pegged Arkansas as needing to get to the SECT championship game.

Ball Hawk

All of you basketball gurus that are saying we can't get in with 2 wins need to go sharpen up your skills. 20 wins is the magic number. Then look at our SOS, RPI, and the fact that we are 4-2 against top 25. If we can get 2 wins in the SEC tourney or more and I GUARANTEE that we are in.
Quote from: secfan30 on February 16, 2015, 11:01:56 pm

They are a perfect example of what happens with 10-12 generations of inbreeding.

elksnort

Quote from: masonselby on March 04, 2007, 05:15:28 pm
i hope they can just relax and take one game at a time and i think we will be ok, i like our bracket, IMO i think we have the 2nd most talented team next to florida
Agree, but what is our coach ranked?

dhornjr1

Quote from: hawgtahm on March 05, 2007, 01:37:38 am
On SportsCenter tonight, they listed what all of the SEC West "bubble" teams needed to do to get into the dance. They said all of them need at least 2 SECT wins, and pegged Arkansas as needing to get to the SECT championship game.

Wow. That''s what I said on the first page of this thread.

If I didn't have such an ugly mug, I could work for ESPN. ;)

jbcarol

Updated after this weekend's action and some Conference winners decided:

After the bids are announced each year ILMFHO looking at the "best road win" of some of the selections (usually Cha/umps of Weak Conferences).  Last year the Committee showed that quality road wins showed your team had something and bad home losses were minimized.  I picked 30 "locks".  That leaves about 16 teams (depending on who wins Conference Tournaments) out of the 24 bubble teams I chose to analyze.  Of these 24 bubble teams I chose what is arguably their best road win.  For one team, Michigan St. that was not hard since they won only one road game.  I include Team Ranking of the home team at the time of the road victory for the bubble team (not the current ranking):

Bubble Team   Best Road Win   Comment if any
------------   --------------   --------------
Gonzaga         2 No. Carolina    Favorite to win conference ?
Texas Tech     6 Texas A&M     Road win over your boy Billy G.
Marquette       6 Pittsburgh      KY's NCAA all-time nemesis
Old Dominion    8 Georgetown   Got Hoyas at a good time
Georgia Tech  11 Memphis       Good early road win
Arkansas        12 Alabama       Got it done in Memorial Gym.  This is not your father's Vandy.
                    19 Vanderbilt
Arizona          15 Oregon         Big deal
Oklahoma St.  21 Syracuse      It's a Family Tradition
Drexel            Villanova          Good road wins (may win conference)
U Mass           Louisville          Ford 2nd ex-player/ex-coach to defeat Pitino at home (Tubby is other, many times)
Georgia          Arkansas          Remember that one
Villanova        U Conn             Would have looked better last year
Indiana          U Conn             Ditto
Alabama         N. C. State       No quality SEC road win
Illinois            Missouri            Took Mike Anderson at home.  No big Big 10 road win
Air Force        Stanford           Buzzed the Big Tree
Xavier            Dayton             Good road win
Clemson         So. Carolina       Beat Repeat NIT Champion.  After Hawgs no 3-peat (R, P. Riley) for Gamecocks
Missouri St.    Bradley             One of many whose best win is over an MVC team (Most are MVC teams)
Bradley          Drake               "
Syracuse       Providence        Could not get a better Big East win
Stanford        California          No decent Pac-10 or any road win
West Virginia  Seton Hall         No decent Big East Win
Michigan St.   Penn St.           Need to get out more often.  Only road win.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on March 04, 2007, 02:56:49 pm
It appears MSU is going to win, so.....

W5 Bama
                      W1 Miss
E4 Kentucky

E6 SCAR
                      E2 Vandy
W3 ARK

E5 Georgia
                      E1 Florida           
W4 Auburn

W6 LSU
                      W2 MSST
E3 Tenn

If someone has already posted then sorry.  Just hoping this can make it a little clearer is all.

what time do we play Friday if we beat SC?

jbcarol

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 05, 2007, 08:05:15 am

W5 Bama
                      W1 Miss
E4 Kentucky

E6 SCAR
                      E2 Vandy
W3 ARK

E5 Georgia
                      E1 Florida           
W4 Auburn

W6 LSU
                      W2 MSST
E3 Tenn

If someone has already posted then sorry.  Just hoping this can make it a little clearer is all.

30 minutes after Kentucky beats Alabama :)

Kentucky starts a little after 1 PM EST/Noon CST.  It will go to approx. 3:15 PM.

I am guessing that Hawgs go at 3:45 PM EST/2:45 PM CST  (barring OT) 

Watch the Cocks, they are SEC-T spoilers and need win(s) for NIT 3-Peat (R) of Pat Riley.

At this point, Hawgs should not be looking past anyone.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: jbcarol on March 05, 2007, 08:08:17 am

W5 Bama
                      W1 Miss
E4 Kentucky

E6 SCAR
                      E2 Vandy
W3 ARK

E5 Georgia
                      E1 Florida           
W4 Auburn

W6 LSU
                      W2 MSST
E3 Tenn

Kentucky starts a little after 1 PM EST/Noon CST.  It will go to approx. 3:15 PM.

Watch the Cocks, they are SEC-T spoilers and need win(s) for NIT 3-Peat (R) of Pat Riley.

no doubt. SC always upsets somebody in the SECT. WE better not lose to them again but it would be just like a heath coached team.

I work during those hours on Friday. I think im already feeling a little sore in the throat area.

hogvillesfinest

March 05, 2007, 08:12:51 am #61 Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 08:19:58 am by hogvillesfinest
I think that if we make it farther than any of the Miss schools, or better yet we beat them that we will make it. Bamam should not be in the talk of going to the tourny. They were 5th in the West and got it handed to them by Arkansas twice.

Bomis Hawg

That 4-2 against ranked teams is misleading.  They are 2-1 against teams currently ranked in the AP Top 25.  Kentucky, Alabama, and LSU have all fallen out.  Would you consider a win over a ranked team since they've fallen to dead last in the SECW?

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 05, 2007, 10:36:13 am
Quote from: weevilhogg on March 04, 2007, 05:08:47 pm
I'm thinking 12 is the lowest at-large seeding. . . . could be wrong.

There are no restrictions on the seeding for an at-large team.  Generally, that is the floor but if you will recall the Hogs were a 13 seed in 1996 under Nolan and went to the Sweet 16.

we were a 12 seed in that year but i do remember Oklahoma getting in at #13. They went to the sweet 16 as well.

I think getting a 12 or 13 is probably better than getting an 7, 8, or 9 seed in some instances. You would not have to play a 1 or 2 seed in the next game.

jbcarol

Quote from: hawgtahm on March 05, 2007, 01:37:38 am

ESPN has a NorthEast/ACC bias.  Check their last projections vs. the real thing for good laughs.

jbcarol

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 05, 2007, 08:10:51 am
Quote from: jbcarol on March 05, 2007, 08:08:17 am

W5 Bama
                      W1 Miss
E4 Kentucky

E6 SCAR
                      E2 Vandy
W3 ARK

E5 Georgia
                      E1 Florida           
W4 Auburn

W6 LSU
                      W2 MSST
E3 Tenn

no doubt. SC always upsets somebody in the SECT. WE better not lose to them again but it would be just like a heath coached team.

I work during those hours on Friday. I think im already feeling a little sore in the throat area.

My bad, you said Friday.  It would also be about 2:45 PM CST. 

jbcarol

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 05, 2007, 08:55:31 am
That 4-2 against ranked teams is misleading.  They are 2-1 against teams currently ranked in the AP Top 25.  Kentucky, Alabama, and LSU have all fallen out.  Would you consider a win over a ranked team since they've fallen to dead last in the SECW?

I missed the earlier reference.  Who is 4-2 against formerly ranked teams and 2-1 against currently ranked teams?

Remember to the outside the top 5 teams in the SEC-W are virutally tied.  Mississippi schools did what it took to get the bye.  In SEC-E, schools 2-5 are virtually tied to the outside.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: jbcarol on March 05, 2007, 10:54:27 am
I missed the earlier reference.  Who is 4-2 against formerly ranked teams and 2-1 against currently ranked teams?

Remember to the outside the top 5 teams in the SEC-W are virutally tied.  Mississippi schools did what it took to get the bye.  In SEC-E, schools 2-5 are virtually tied to the outside.

Arkansas is 4-2 against teams that were ranked when Arkansas played them.  Only Florida and Vanderbilt are still ranked inthe top 25.  SIU is now ranked.  Alabama, LSU, and Kentucky have fallen out.

dirtydoghog

I would have agree with you yesterday, but after looking over the national take it looks like a sweep of Vandy would get us in.  Who would have thought it a week ago huh. 

jbcarol

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 05, 2007, 11:18:22 am
Quote from: jbcarol on March 05, 2007, 10:54:27 am

Arkansas is 4-2 against teams that were ranked when Arkansas played them.  Only Florida and Vanderbilt are still ranked inthe top 25.  SIU is now ranked.  Alabama, LSU, and Kentucky have fallen out.

thanks  so hawgs lost to fla and ky.   wait a few hrs 2 c f vandy is still in

NuttinItUp

NuttinItUp

jbcarol

Nuttin It Up, np, I thought you were just being emphatic!!!!

cosmodrum

Looks like we'll need to beat SC, Vandy, KY, and Fla. 3 out of four of those teams have beaten us. We can beat all of them though, if Ervin has his head seperated from his buttcheeks.
Go away, batin'

jbcarol

March 05, 2007, 03:03:09 pm #74 Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:47:11 am by jbcarol
Quote from: cosmodrum on March 05, 2007, 01:17:46 pm
Looks like we'll need to beat SC, Vandy, KY, and Fla. 3 out of four of those teams have beaten us. We can beat all of them though, if Ervin has his head seperated from his buttcheeks.

And as I mentioned earlier, maybe Florida will check out early and rest up for the big dance.

What no one will answer for me is how is Arkansas set up for four games in 70 hours?  Especially in the event two of their opponents will have played one fewer game.