Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

up to the minutw rpi ranking

Started by cityhog, March 03, 2007, 02:43:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cityhog

Bomis Hawg

7-12 v. RPI Top 100.

Makes you wonder if Arkansas makes it to the SECT finals and no true upsets in other major conference tournaments, where Arkansas would slide in at?

Could be an interesting weekend.

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 03, 2007, 02:47:40 pm
7-12 v. RPI Top 100.

Makes you wonder if Arkansas makes it to the SECT finals and no true upsets in other major conference tournaments, where Arkansas would slide in at?

So you're saying that we can still make the NCAA tourney even if we dont win SEC championship?

cityhog

I'm starting to wonder if 2 wins in the SECT might get us in.  Esp. if one is against a higher ranked opp/RPI than us. Or are all RPI rankings sort of thrown out the window at conference tourney time?

Bomis Hawg

I think Arkansas has a VERY slim chance to make it without winning the SECT. 
I wouldn't say 100% NIT bound if they lost, but a lot needs to happen likely.

3 wins and a close call in the finals?  Who knows.  Stranger things have happened, but I bet they'd be left out if they didn't win it all.

cityhog

We need to have some upsets to happen this weekend in the low 30's and high 40's in the RPI eankings.

Pigonometry

Quote from: cityhog on March 03, 2007, 02:53:42 pm
I'm starting to wonder if 2 wins in the SECT might get us in.  Esp. if one is against a higher ranked opp/RPI than us. Or are all RPI rankings sort of thrown out the window at conference tourney time?

Two wins MIGHT do it but it would also depend upon who we LOSE to in the SECT..........
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

cityhog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 03, 2007, 02:54:27 pm

3 wins and a close call in the finals?  Who knows.  Stranger things have happened, but I bet they'd be left out if they didn't win it all.

It sure would be strange for the NCAA slection comittee to put Bama (considered a lock by some sites) in the tourney with us having beaten them twice, and a very real possibility they end up w/ same conference mark as we do.  They would have some 'splaining to do.

Bomis Hawg

I bet one and a max of two from the SECW makes the tournament.  The winner of the division and if a team gets hot (or wins the SECT).

94 Hawg

Washington (now 18-12) just beat #2 UCLA.  that didn't help
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Ouachihog

Oklahoma State lost at Baylor to drop to 6-9 in the big 12 with one game (at nebraska) to go.  Also, winthrop fended off VMI to gain the automatic bid out of the big south.  Both of these helped. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Adam Stokes

Quote from: 94 Hawg on March 03, 2007, 03:15:14 pm
Washington (now 18-12) just beat #2 UCLA.  that didn't help

8-10 in conference, 73 RPI and a 54 SOS, only decent non-con wins against LSU and Northern Iowa, they have to do well in the Pac-10 tourny to get in.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: cityhog on March 03, 2007, 02:43:56 pm
made a pretty good jump.

RPI 49, SOS 13

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html
We started the day at  #59 in the RPI rankings.  If we can win 3 games in the SECT, but can't manage to win it all, we would finish 21-13 and I imagine we would be in low 30's (maybe high 20's) in the RPI rankings.  I could see us getting into the NCAAT with those numbers.

Bomis Hawg

Stranger things have happened, I guess.

Arkansas needs a strong showing.  A blowout win or two.  They can't win 3 games by a combined 5 or so points.  Need to show the committee that Arkansas can play.

lightsout

I can't recall our RPI, but in 2000 I remember the tournamnet committee saying that we defninitely would not have been in if we had lost in the final.  And we were 7-9 that year as well

cityhog

Quote from: lightsout on March 03, 2007, 03:25:03 pm
I can't recall our RPI, but in 2000 I remember the tournamnet committee saying that we defninitely would not have been in if we had lost in the final.  And we were 7-9 that year as well

what was our overall record going into the tourney that year?  Was that the year we lost to American University-PR in the preseason tourney.  We were pretty awful that year.

Publius

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 03, 2007, 03:21:12 pm
made a pretty good jump.

RPI 49, SOS 13

We started the day at  #59 in the RPI rankings.  If we can win 3 games in the SECT, but can't manage to win it all, we would finish 21-13 and I imagine we would be in low 30's (maybe high 20's) in the RPI rankings.  I could see us getting into the NCAAT with those numbers.

I agree that 3 wins in Atlanta would boost our RPI and probably make our at large bid prospect a little better than 50/50.  However, barring a bid to the big dance, do we take a NIT bid particularly if Heath is toast?

Publius

I agree that 3 wins in Atlanta would boost our RPI and probably make our at large bid prospect a little better than 50/50.  However, barring a bid to the big dance, do we take a NIT bid particularly if Heath is toast?

Bomis Hawg

2000 Arkansas finished the regular season with an RPI of 45.  Was 7-9 and won the SECT.
1999 Arkansas finished 20-9; 9-7.

cityhog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 03, 2007, 03:31:10 pm
2000 Arkansas finished the regular season with an RPI of 45.  Was 7-9 and won the SECT.
1999 Arkansas finished 20-9; 9-7.

doesn't bode well for getting in w/o winning the SECT

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Publius on March 03, 2007, 03:31:06 pm
I agree that 3 wins in Atlanta would boost our RPI and probably make our at large bid prospect a little better than 50/50.  However, barring a bid to the big dance, do we take a NIT bid particularly if Heath is toast?
I think we should take an NIT bid if we don't make the NCAAT.  I think the more tournament experience we can get the better no matter who the coach is.

Hogtropolis™

FWIW, we are actually up to #48 in the RPI now.

Publius

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 03, 2007, 03:34:30 pm
Quote from: Publius on March 03, 2007, 03:31:06 pm
I think we should take an NIT bid if we don't make the NCAAT.  I think the more tournament experience we can get the better no matter who the coach is.
Even if SH is gone regardless of the NIT result or appearance?

revolution

Supposedly when the Committee is looking to give out at-large berths, the conference record means nothing.  What they do is look at your body of work as compared against the others who are being considered.  Arkansas will definitely be in the discussion if they win two in the SECT.  If they win 3, I believe they'll be in. 

Who would've thunk it?

By the way, it just shows you how Heath bungled a golden opportunity.  If only this team had a motivator, their invite would be a foregone conclusion.  There's no reason this team couldn't be a 5 or 6 seed.

revolution

One more thought - it would probably be better to get the #4 seed in the SECT, since then we could play a decent team on Thursday instead of S.Carolina who will face the West #3.  The Hogs can still get in without winning the SECT if they get their RPI number up in the low 40's.  Beating a Kentucky or Tenn from the East would do wonders for their rpi, and after looking at the other teams's records from across the nation, we could be in just by surviving until Sat., and if we make it to Sunday, we're a virtual lock.

Unbelievable!

d1nonlyhogfan

made a pretty good jump.

RPI 49, SOS 13

Already up to 48 RPI, baby! Keep climbing the charts!
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

d1nonlyhogfan

Question: If Miss St blows Bama off the court, do we have a chance to best them in RPI going into the SECT?
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

wirebender25

Didn't Georgia get in a fews years ago with a losing record in the sec?

Adam Stokes

Quote from: wirebender25 on March 03, 2007, 04:44:39 pm

Nope, the only SEC team to get in with a losing record was Bama in 03'.  They had an RPI of 38 despite losin gin the first round of the SEC tourny.

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on March 03, 2007, 04:39:30 pm
Question: If Miss St blows Bama off the court, do we have a chance to best them in RPI going into the SECT?

It doesn't matter if Bama loses by 1 or 50, in Rpi a loss is a loss.  Right now Bama is at 38, I predict if they lose they will fall to around 42-44 range, putting them just in front of us.  However, we could certainly pass them with some SEC tourny wins.

PigDaddyKane

I think it was Bama that got in with a 7-9 SEC record.  They had a tough non-conference schedule.  I think ours could match that non-conference schedule this year.

If we are 3rd in the SEC W we will play South Carolina then Vandy.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

jbcarol

Quote from: cityhog on March 03, 2007, 02:57:48 pm
Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 03, 2007, 02:54:27 pm

It sure would be strange for the NCAA slection comittee to put Bama (considered a lock by some sites) in the tourney with us having beaten them twice, and a very real possibility they end up w/ same conference mark as we do.  They would have some 'splaining to do.

If it happens chalk it up to a Jamareo Davidson sympathy factor.  The young man has gone thru more this season than most would in a lifetime.  But that should not get you a bid.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Road wins + SOS trumps RPI.  After watching Kentucky achieve #1 RPI and a 2 seed so many years
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on March 03, 2007, 04:54:51 pm

I think it was Bama that got in with a 7-9 SEC record.  They had a tough non-conference schedule.  I think ours could match that non-conference schedule this year.

If we are 3rd in the SEC W we will play South Carolina then Vandy.

After several years of stellar records but weak non-conference schedules, 'Bama finally got the memo and scheduled some tough non-conf. games.  The committee threw them a bone for their immediate obedience.

cityhog

Quote from: jbcarol on March 03, 2007, 05:01:46 pm
Road wins + SOS trumps RPI.  After watching Kentucky achieve #1 RPI and a 2 seed so many years

Well we are 50/50 there

SOS   :)

Road wins   :puke:

jbcarol

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on March 03, 2007, 04:39:30 pm

Arkansas would be ahead of Alabama as of right now.  Arkansas can not afford to get knocked out of the SECT by another Bubble Team. 

jbcarol

Quote from: cityhog on March 03, 2007, 05:03:30 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on March 03, 2007, 05:01:46 pm

Well we are 50/50 there

SOS   :)

Road wins   :puke:

Road wins over red hot #19 Vandy in Memorial and at the time #12 Alabama.  Maybe no bubble team has two higher quality road wins.  Check out today's Game Thread for analysis.

playboy

If we make it to the finals of the SECT, we are a lock.  21 wins by and SEC team, with an RPI in the 30s and a SOS in the top 15.  That's a lock.

Now, I don't think there's any way in hell we make it to the finals, but if we do, we're a lock.

Adam Stokes

RPI UPDATE: We have moved up to a tie of 45 in RPI with the Michigan loss.  That's a jump of 14 spots in one day, things are going our way.  We could move up to 43 if both Texas Tech and Clemson lose tonight.  We will likely end up at 44 for Clemson will probably lose but TT won't.

rebelhogdog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 03, 2007, 02:47:40 pm
7-12 v. RPI Top 100.

I was thinking that same thing this afternoon.....its a reach but we could backdoor in there, still don't think it will happen

USCoastGuard

Current!

45   Arkansas  18-12  0.5862 12  0.5895   Sec 7-9
Come back over Gus!

playboy

Southern Illinois is ranked 4th in the RPI and it looks like they are about to lose to Creighton, which will hurt us badly.

94 Hawg

~ Will Rogers

razorbackfan4life

I really REALLY want to go to the tournament.....it just blows my mind how Arkansas has to struggle to get in.  It never used to be like this....  We would ALWAYS be a lock.

94 Hawg

~ Will Rogers

deucea729

owl

OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

deucea729

SIU loss hurt us for sure.  But there must be other things going on today affecting us as well...

razorbackfan4life

regardless of rpi......we need to make it to the finals of the SEC tourney

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: deucea729 on March 04, 2007, 03:37:11 pm
Dropping like a rock - #50
We got down to #51 yesterday and now we are back up to #48.  What happened since last night that effected the RPI?

Bomis Hawg

I think its more of what happens to other teams than Arkansas.
A team could pull an upset.  The team that is ahead of Arkansas could've beat the team that got beat, thus Arkansas jumping them.

Just a thought.