Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you like to see Arkansas in the Big 12 or SEC

Started by Newport Hog, March 02, 2007, 07:29:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see Arkansas stay in the SEC or go to the Big 12 ?

stay in the SEC West
move to the Big 12 North

DeltaBoy

Big 12 that way I could see all the road games  ;)
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cosmodrum

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 05, 2007, 07:25:53 am
I never have and never will be in favor of a move to the Big 12, they are a second tier conference.

The SEC is one of the premierconferences in the entire country, so why move to the Big 12???

Why not just hire coaches that are capable of recruiting athletes tha can compete (and NO, Nutt is NOT the man for the job) in the SEC and carve out a niche for ourselves in this conference, as opposed to running away from the competition?

My choice is SEC ALL the way!

I wouldn't say that the Big 12 is 2nd tier. It just seems that way from and SEC perspective. The SEC on top looking down on all the other conferences.

Go away, batin'

NWASooner

Quote from: piggly wiggly on March 06, 2007, 08:36:14 am
I would counter with K-state's down-years being decades also(I mean they still are one the losingest d-1schools of all time).  As for Colorado's heisman and national prominence, that was almost 20 years ago.
I understand that teams are going to be up and down.  But, c'mon some of these big 12 north teams have been doormats for decades.  You are using the early 90's (When Arkansas was a doormat) for your only comparison.  How about Arkansas in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  How would ark. or Auburn or 'Bams or LSU faired in the North the last few years when mighty Neb. is down.

My argument (If you want to even call it that) is simple:  Over any amount of time you want to measure, I'd rather play in the big 12 north than in the SEC.  I'd wager that Arkansas would do better against:  Missouri, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St. and Colorado than we will do against:  Auburn, LSU, Alabama (I think we will be o.k. against the Miss. schools).  In the big 12 south we have a 70 year history (O.U. being the exception).  Texass has owned up but we have winning records over A$M (38-21), Texas Tech (We've only lost to them 7 times although they weren't in the SWC until the 60'S) and Baylor.  As far as Ok. St. , Ark. has beaten them regularly (30-15).

So, yeah, I'd rather take my chances in the big 12 north. 

By the way, I also live in NW Arkansas (Rogers).  where do you live?

I live in Bentonville.  Been here for about three years.  Kinda like it.

The Big 12 has only existed since 1997 so those are the years I was going by.  Colorado's best years were during the Big 8 and Kansas State made their push in the late 90's.  The thing about K-State is that if you can build a program there, you can build one anywhere.  They were dreadful for something like 50 years and Manhattan is a hole.  That's when I hear people from (insert school here) offer up excuses, I remember K-State in the late 80's vs. the 90's.  In '87, they lost to OU 77-0 or something like that and in 2000 they were #1 in the country for a short time.

piggly wiggly

Another thing I would add:  When we were having losing seasons in '04 and '05 you have to remember that some of those losses were to good teams and we played them close, ie. Texass (2 point loss), Georgia (3 point loss), Auburn (Who we led at the half in '05), etc.  By contrast O.U. had lost alot of talent to the NFL after the '04 season.  O.U. lost to TCU and Beat Baylor in 2 overtimes (Both games at home). My point is (And their is no way to prove this):  On the day we were losing to texass, Georgia, etc.  I would bet we could've beaten Baylor, Colorado, etc.  at least enough to have a winning season.  The night O.U. was struggling with Baylor, how would they have done if LSU, Auburn, or Georgia were on the field?  Maybe instead of 7 wins they would have only had 5.  People would want Stoops fired, etc.

Name the last time in history Arkansas had back to back losing seasons (before '04 and '05).  I can't look it up since I'm not home but I don't think it has happened in the last 50 years.  Certainly not since 1960.  So, IMHO, being in the big 12 North in '04 and ' 05 we would be in a bowl game and would consistently won more.

socalhogcaller

I think we would recruit better in the Big 12.  But I like the SEC much more.  I would love it if Texas would come to the SEC, that would enhance our chances of landing more Texas talent.

31to6

Quote from: socalhogcaller on March 06, 2007, 12:02:11 pm
I think we would recruit better in the Big 12.  But I like the SEC much more.  I would love it if Texas would come to the SEC, that would enhance our chances of landing more Texas talent.
I think with the right coach we are better off in the SEC but playing 2 non-conference games against the Big-12 and using that to recruit Big-12 talent (esp Texas--probably the 3rd best talent pool in the nation (behind CA and FL)). Every year there will be highly rated players in Texas, OK, etc that want to get away from home to play or want to play in the big venues of the SEC. If we play Texas teams (and play them well) then we have an advantage over every other SEC team for those players looking to get out-of-state. We won't out-recruit Texas in Texas, but we can out-recruit the rest of the SEC if we carefully cultivate our old SWC ties and rivalries.

If we join the Big-12 the inverse is not true. I'd rather fill out roster holes with TX, OK and MO 3*'s and poach a 4* from Texas every once in a while because he wants away from mommy and hates Okies than have to fight 'bama, Auburn and LSU for the left-overs of Mississippi and Louisiana.

ishankem

If the big 12 dropped baylor, and added Ark, that would be one hell of a conference.
would it surpass the sec, maybe?

bigbrutha

Quote from: NWASooner on March 05, 2007, 10:57:13 am
Arkansas football fans believe in many myths.  Two of them are:

1.  The SEC makes significantly more money than the Big 12.  It paid a lot better than the SWC so everyone here thinks the Big 12 is the same.  The difference breaks down to about $1 million per school.  That's it.

2.  The SEC is worlds better than the Big 12 in football.  Houston Nutt is .500 in the SEC over 10 years and he'd be about .500 in the Big 12 during that stretch of time.  That tells me the two conferences are about the same.  Some years one is better than the other but that's about it.

Wrong.  I lived in Big 12 land for quite a while, and heard other Sooner fans utter the same things.  The SEC isn't "worlds" better, but it's better 8 out of 10 years.  With the decline of Kansas State and Nebraska it's probably closer to 9.5 out of 10.  OU and Texas are the only 2 schools that could realistically compete for SEC football championships.  Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU could compete every year in the Big 12. 

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

blue

If we would have been committed, I think we would have had much more success in the big 12, as well as created many more rivals. Since we were not and we didn't, we are probably better off in the SEC. I think either way under the same leadership we would have found ourselves in the middle of either one. I can't help believe that someday, under strong leadership from a new administration, we will become a consistent national power.