Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IMO, the SEC should suspend Ervin...

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, March 01, 2007, 01:25:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxdaddy

I didn't see anything dirty. What I did see were two players on frustrated teams mouthing back and forth. As for that kid holding his berries, that could have been acting to get his former teamate kicked out of the game. That is all I saw from the TV. If you where there and saw and angle they didn't show on TV I apologize.

Hawgustus Maximus

funny ass thread what with all the junk talkin' sack tappin love pokes and us with our nutts all over the place lolrof. Seriously though this was the major element missing from our attack was this willingness to fight for their right to play their game no matter how much crap msu or ol'puss or any other school for thugs wanted to dish out.
HEY STAN, LAST CHANCE TO NOTICE, BASKETBALL IS NOT A SPORT FOR GENTLE PERSONS. THATS WHY 7 FOOTERS WEIGHING 250 AND UP ARE IN SUCH HIGH DEMAND.
YOU GUYS ARE FRICKIN FUNNY SOMETIMES.

BallHog1

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 01, 2007, 01:25:45 pm
what he did last night was beyond dirty. He'll be a marked man in the next game. He'll be watched very very closely.  That was utterly embarrassing.

Was a Batman Carrolish type move.
I like to see fire in my favorite team, just not like that.

Not to offend, but...no whistle no foul. Rather than a suspension from the SEC, I think hog fans, other than those who have actually been there, should cheer for this guy showing a little pepper and quit judging individuals engaged in something darn few of us have ever been engaged in.
Rhodes is a bully, bullies only understand one thing and there are no rules about how they get it. Gary didn't start it, he finished it. What he did is no worse than a guy a foot taller and a hundred pounds heavier hitting someone in the head with their shoulder of elbow (repeatedly) every time the refs look away. He played dirty and he got played dirty. If he doesn't want that sort of thing to happen to him, he needs to clean his act up. I seriously doubt that Ervin would have done what he did, if he did it, if Rhodes hadn't been roughing him and everyone else up every chance he got.

We question his class for this and if doesn't do something we'd be questioning his manhood. Kind of tough to win....

Hogpuddin

If anybody should be suspended this year it should be the SEC Officials.  They are the ones letting the ballgames get out of hand.  I had GREAT seats for the Tennessee game and it was one of the worst called games that I have ever seen at any level, including pee-wee.

Great fire by Gary, Hill, and Patrick.  Even McCurdy showed some last Saturday.  Townes usually has some.  That is what this team has needed all along.  Now let's make a run and win the NCAA Tournament!!!

If anybody knows any of the players, especially Stephen Hill, please pass this along.   :)

BallHog1

Quote from: Hogpuddin on March 01, 2007, 07:05:27 pm
If anybody should be suspended this year it should be the SEC Officials.  They are the ones letting the ballgames get out of hand.  I had GREAT seats for the Tennessee game and it was one of the worst called games that I have ever seen at any level, including pee-wee.

Great fire by Gary, Hill, and Patrick.  Even McCurdy showed some last Saturday.  Townes usually has some.  That is what this team has needed all along.  Now let's make a run and win the NCAA Tournament!!!

If anybody knows any of the players, especially Stephen Hill, please pass this along.   :)

+1 I agree Hogpuddin.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 01, 2007, 07:07:19 pm
Quote from: Hogpuddin on March 01, 2007, 07:05:27 pm

If anybody knows any of the players, especially Stephen Hill, please pass this along.   :)

+1 I agree Hogpuddin.

Thanks, throwing some 'K' back at ya.

football-writer

If you're going to suspend Ervin, then suspend half of the Miss. State team for all the dirty play they were doing.  Props to Steven Hill for jumping in.  Ya don't mess with da seven footer.  And just remeber this....we can pick on our players...but THEY can't!
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

msudawgs64

March 01, 2007, 07:14:07 pm #57 Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 07:17:24 pm by msudawgs64
BTW, this is Rhodes quote on the issue, found this on Hogwired.com

"Gary (Ervin) and I got tangled up. We bumped heads and got into it.  I hold no faults against him; I still love him like he is my teammate." 

One thing to remember before we decide to rip on both guys is it was a highly charged game.  State was playing to try and win the West, Arkansas is trying to remain in the hunt for a NCAA bid.  Emotions sometimes get the best of anyone who plays the game, no different here and even more so I think with Ervin being that he used to play for us.  Even Heath is quoted as such..

"Gary Ervin played outstanding tonight. He was really emotionally involved in this game and he was very excited that our team got a win, especially against Mississippi State where he came from.  He stepped up big for us tonight."

Plus they both got a technical, there was no bloodshed, just emotions running high, the SEC office won't even think about suspending anyone for this.

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

msudawgs64

Quote from: football-writer on March 01, 2007, 07:13:29 pm
If you're going to suspend Ervin, then suspend half of the Miss. State team for all the dirty play they were doing.  Props to Steven Hill for jumping in.  Ya don't mess with da seven footer.  And just remeber this....we can pick on our players...but THEY can't!

half the team didn't even play, what are you talking about?   What dirty play are you referring to by the way, other than this incident?
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 01, 2007, 07:14:07 pm

“Gary (Ervin) and I got tangled up. We bumped heads and got into it.  I hold no faults against him; I still love him like he is my teammate.” 

One thing to remember before we decide to rip on both guys is it was a highly charged game.  State was playing to try and win the West, Arkansas is trying to remain in the hunt for a NCAA bid.  Emotions sometimes get the best of anyone who plays the game, no different here and even more so I think with Ervin being that he used to play for us.  Even Heath is quoted as such..

“Gary Ervin played outstanding tonight. He was really emotionally involved in this game and he was very excited that our team got a win, especially against Mississippi State where he came from.  He stepped up big for us tonight.”

Plus they both got a technical, there was no bloodshed, just emotions running high, the SEC office won't even think about suspending anyone for this.

And they shouldn't suspend anyone.  It's competitive basketball, tempers will flare.

Brand X Hog Fan

You guys jog yer memories back to 90-95 . . . what do you mean the Hogs play a clean game? We have always been a rough and ready team, maybe not starting it but damn sure finishing what was started as far as extracurricular activities. LFS replayed the fight so many times that you could tell the Ervin threw the forearm shiver to the nads. I was glad to see it. It must have been bad to get mild mannered Hill so riled up. What was funny was seeing Stan trying to hold Hill back. Hill is a freakin' monster!

By the way . . . light your torches and get ready to flame me. Gary Ervin does turn the ball over A LOT but he is a player! That kid is fast, aggressive, and is great at finding the open guy. Maybe you would rather have Dontell back? I am glad Gary is a Hog and after last night, I have hope for next season, no matter who is the coach. I think a lot of shiite was settled during the fight concerning this team.

Flame on!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Hogpuddin on March 01, 2007, 07:21:30 pm

“Gary (Ervin) and I got tangled up. We bumped heads and got into it.  I hold no faults against him; I still love him like he is my teammate.” 

“Gary Ervin played outstanding tonight. He was really emotionally involved in this game and he was very excited that our team got a win, especially against Mississippi State where he came from.  He stepped up big for us tonight.”

And they shouldn't suspend anyone.  It's competitive basketball, tempers will flare.

I do agree and as I stated, Rhodes is generally a tough player and plays hard but really don't talk crap like he did last night, I just think it got to him that he and Gordon were doing all the work in the points and rebounds department and the rest of the team did not step it up a notch.  Nothing wrong with playing hard, I can also do without the smack talk but at least he backed it up with 22 points and 8 boards.  He should have been directing his energy though in getting his team fired up instead it worked against him and us.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 01, 2007, 07:25:56 pm

I do agree and as I stated, Rhodes is generally a tough player and plays hard but really don't talk crap like he did last night, I just think it got to him that he and Gordon were doing all the work in the points and rebounds department and the rest of the team did not step it up a notch.  Nothing wrong with playing hard, I can also do without the smack talk but at least he backed it up with 22 points and 8 boards.  He should have been directing his energy though in getting his team fired up instead it worked against him and us.

Yeah, that little scuffle really changed the outlook of the game.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on March 01, 2007, 07:24:04 pm
You guys jog yer memories back to 90-95 . . . what do you mean the Hogs play a clean game? We have always been a rough and ready team, maybe not starting it but damn sure finishing what was started as far as extracurricular activities. LFS replayed the fight so many times that you could tell the Ervin threw the forearm shiver to the nads. I was glad to see it. It must have been bad to get mild mannered Hill so riled up. What was funny was seeing Stan trying to hold Hill back. Hill is a freakin' monster!

By the way . . . light your torches and get ready to flame me. Gary Ervin does turn the ball over A LOT but he is a player! That kid is fast, aggressive, and is great at finding the open guy. Maybe you would rather have Dontell back? I am glad Gary is a Hog and after last night, I have hope for next season, no matter who is the coach. I think a lot of shiite was settled during the fight concerning this team.

Flame on!

good points..any team that don't play a bit agressive sometimes will get stepped on and get beat more times than not. This ain't chess, this is a fast paced game where folks dive for loose balls, jockey for rebounds, etc.  It ain't supposed to be a full contact sport but it ain't supposed to be a fully non-contact sport either.  The passive teams lose, bottom line.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Hogpuddin on March 01, 2007, 07:28:26 pm

it certainly did, I watched the game and I could tell after a few possessions that we were probably in trouble.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 01, 2007, 07:32:03 pm
Quote from: Hogpuddin on March 01, 2007, 07:28:26 pm

it certainly did, I watched the game and I could tell after a few possessions that we were probably in trouble.

Yeah, at least it was a good, exciting game to watch.  Sorry that someone had to lose.

msudawgs64

I agree, I really enjoyed it as well, did not like the outcome but since we at least won at our court this year, I am at least half satisfied.  ;)

Hogpuddin

Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 01, 2007, 07:39:24 pm
I agree, I really enjoyed it as well, did not like the outcome but since we at least won at our court this year, I am at least half satisfied.  ;)

Yeah, good luck the rest of the season and in the post-season.

msudawgs64

thanks and good luck to the Hogs as well.  Vandy is quite beatable, we smoked them though it was a home game for us.  Heath just needs to keep the fire going under these guys and anything is possible, to finish out the regular season in a game that his Hogs have had problems with (road games) could go a long way towards these guys having a strong SEC tourney and possibly getting that NCAA bid.  I think we get a NIT bid, which is not great but for a young team is not bad either.  It at least gives them exposure to a tournament setting and allows them to keep playing.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 01, 2007, 07:48:50 pm
thanks and good luck to the Hogs as well.  Vandy is quite beatable, we smoked them though it was a home game for us.  Heath just needs to keep the fire going under these guys and anything is possible, to finish out the regular season in a game that his Hogs have had problems with (road games) could go a long way towards these guys having a strong SEC tourney and possibly getting that NCAA bid.  I think we get a NIT bid, which is not great but for a young team is not bad either.  It at least gives them exposure to a tournament setting and allows them to keep playing.

Goodnight, my friend.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 01, 2007, 07:39:24 pm

You sure you aren't a Hog fan MSU? Half satisfied? The describes most of us! Thanks for the friendly banter. Good luck in the SECT! +1
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

RZRBCK in Texas

Dude got "busted in the taters !?!!?!?" Good one.

riccoar

RZRBCK in Texas

funny ass thread what with all the junk talkin' sack tappin love pokes and us with our nutts all over the place. LOL !

riccoar

jlmnjem

March 02, 2007, 12:41:04 pm #75 Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 12:46:16 pm by jlmnjem
Just in case there is still any doubt. By the way, the screen shot shows the end of the punch after the upswing, when it's doing it's most damage. It started out much lower.

pigfeet

what he did last night was beyond dirty. He'll be a marked man in the next game. He'll be watched very very closely.  That was utterly embarrassing.

I disagree that he should be suspended.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: jlmnjem on March 02, 2007, 12:41:04 pm
Just in case there is still any doubt. By the way, the screen shot shows the end of the punch after the upswing, when it's doing it's most damage. It started out much lower.

I had a doctor do that to me during a physical once.  Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Silver Hog

Quote from: Terminuttor on March 01, 2007, 01:38:09 pm
a quick shot to the junk is common occurance in college and nba, my sister works for a nba bball team and says besides getting treatment for plain soreness the second most heard complaint is they got busted in the taters on purpose
every time i read this post I can't help but chuckle.

KingoftheHill

peakhog

"Where is your other hand? Between two pillows. Those aren't pillows!"

forwhomthebelltoll

Class and character are overrated, huh?
[/quote]

Only when we talk about HDN does class and character matter.

slopinhogs

i have a couple of questions. why was a 6'8 guy picking on a 5'11 guy to begin with? did the little guy get rough with him on the lay up try?
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hogsanity

Quote from: slopinhogs on March 02, 2007, 01:50:50 pm
i have a couple of questions. why was a 6'8 guy picking on a 5'11 guy to begin with? did the little guy get rough with him on the lay up try?

Because he is a typical MSu player, kind of thuggish and a loser.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

msudawgs64

Quote from: hogsanity on March 02, 2007, 01:52:21 pm
Quote from: slopinhogs on March 02, 2007, 01:50:50 pm

Because he is a typical MSu player, kind of thuggish and a loser.

lol, so I guess Ervin got a shitload of class when he left and became a winner eh?  Right..

slopinhogs, the answer is that Ervin went in for the layup and it was a foul on him from Rhodes, Ervin took exception to it and started jawing at Rhodes, Rhodes bumped him and the rest went from there.   

fluffy1128

I was at the game, sitting about 30 feet from the incident.  While it was a low blow, and was uncalled for, I can tell u that Rhodes started it, Hill and Ervin just finished it.

msudawgs64

Quote from: fluffy1128 on March 02, 2007, 02:20:41 pm
I was at the game, sitting about 30 feet from the incident.  While it was a low blow, and was uncalled for, I can tell u that Rhodes started it, Hill and Ervin just finished it.

I agree he started it by the physical contact but Ervin was the one that was jawing at him, Rhodes should have just laughed at the little man and moved on..either way it don't really matter now, the game is over, the Hogs won.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

That dude was hamming it up. Run your mouth take your shots....oh yeah, man up.