Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vandy gym made me wonder Whats the strangest gym set up you have seen?

Started by hogsanity, March 01, 2007, 09:40:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chillinhoggie

Quote from: hogsanity on March 01, 2007, 04:19:40 pm
The old gym at Shiloh was carpet, no one was taking a charge or diving on that thing.
There was another one in FS too   at a church over by FSC.... great traction almost too good... I was always afraid I was gonna blow out a knee on the carpet courts... but I always felt like it increased my vertical..... or maybe the rims were low ;D

hogsanity

Quote from: chillinhoggie on March 01, 2007, 04:24:05 pm
The old gym at Shiloh was carpet, no one was taking a charge or diving on that thing.
There was another one in FS too   at a church over by FSC.... great traction almost too good... I was always afraid I was gonna blow out a knee on the carpet courts... but I always felt like it increased my vertical..... or maybe the rims were low ;D

Was that church Saint Paul?  We practiced there when they were sealing our floor after putting down the 3pt line.  They had carpet.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ā 

hogsgonewild30

in ohio when i was in high school one of the rival schools basketball court was actually on the stage of a real old opera house.  the opera pit was for the longest time covered by a black cover, until just in last ten years was boarded over. numerous time players would dive or slip of the court and end up down in the opera pit and top of insturments and other stored things.  the stands were the original seats of the opera house, in there orginal spots. wierd to watch a game like that.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: hogsanity on March 01, 2007, 04:26:01 pm

Was that church Saint Paul?  We practiced there when they were sealing our floor after putting down the 3pt line.  They had carpet.
Maybe I only went there a coupla times and i didn't drive... it was sorta behind 40/29 the other way from FSC

Swynler Durden

Must have been a LONG time ago. The floor before the one there now, the one attached to the cafeteria, wasn't carpet but some kind of wierd rubber surface if I recall correctly.

PeytonManningSUCKS

back in my day we didn't have gyms, we had rock quarry's and we liked it.  We threw dew mellons through peach baskets and there were no fouls...

jamie72921

Talahina, Oklahoma.

Elevated bleachers, some seats were behind glass.

The court had one set of lines for out of bounds, another for inbounds.

It had 3 halfcourt lines. One for the opening tip, one for 10 second violation, and another for backcourt violations.

The backboards were hung from the walls on each end.

Pretty bizare for a city boy.
Bless your heart

hogsgonewild30

when i was in the 4th grade in ohio we played at christian school, in which the ceiling was about eight inches higher than the top of the backboard. technicals were acessed if you hit it when you shot. needless to say we had to quit in the third quarter because we had only 4 players left between fouls and technical fouls taking out us other 6

hogsanity

Quote from: Swynler Durden on March 01, 2007, 04:30:50 pm
Must have been a LONG time ago. The floor before the one there now, the one attached to the cafeteria, wasn't carpet but some kind of wierd rubber surface if I recall correctly.

The only time I played there was February of 86.  Oh crap, that was a LOOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGGG  time ago.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jamie72921

Quote from: hogsanity on March 01, 2007, 04:47:31 pm

The only time I played there was February of 86.  Oh crap, that was a LOOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGGG  time ago.

You might know Brent Hayes, Frank Cluck, Toby Koprovic, aww crap, I can't remember some of the others names.
Bless your heart

JDHogg

"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

Swynler Durden

Geez, could have been carpet back then. That was long before my time. 8)

davidharwood

Did anyone experience the yellow (?) ceramic tile floor at Siloam Springs in the 70's?
My name has been carved on the UA sidewalks a total of 3 times, and my daughter's twice, but when I stop getting chills from the Alma Mater and the opening of the Hog Pen gates, I'll know it's time to stay home by the fireplace and wait for the new John Sandford novel.

Ā 

gomersnerd

Osceola still has a weird floor. There are extra lines across the end lines that mark the out of bounds when they divide the gym for pe classes. Every game someone got called for inbounds violation.  Good home court advantage because the refs knew to look for it. Some small school in se missouri had a low partition at half court where a screen or curtain would serve as a divider for PE. you couldn't throw a long outlet pass without hitting it. No fast breaks against them!!lol
It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

jlmnjem

Quote from: chillinhoggie on March 01, 2007, 04:30:46 pm

Maybe I only went there a coupla times and i didn't drive... it was sorta behind 40/29 the other way from FSC

Metro Christian was right behind FSC.

When I was in college, we played Philander Smith, and their home gym was Dunbar Junior High. What a dump that place was.

resqnu911

Watched a mayb basketball game in the old Scranton Gym a couple years ago.  It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen.  You would have to tip toe to shoot 3s in the corner or inbound the ball.  There were seats on each side behind 3 pillars, front row was practically on the court.  Oh I didn't mention on one end there was a goal up at about 13 feet over the 10 feet basket.  It was a very small court, so shots went up left and right.  Gym couldn't have been able to hold more then 250 people.  Please someone tell me that they've been there or would love to hear a story reliving an old game you played in there.  That being said I was thoroughly impressed w/ their current gym, for A. 

I went to school in Paris and I played there several times from Jr High through SR High...ur absolutely right on your description of the place...very small...very tight...but quite an explosive atmosphere for a big rivalry game when the teams were good....

Wolfhound05

TAAHAWG

Hog are ya

C.V. White I think was the name.  They actually had carpet for a surface.  Not shag but it was carpet.  You dribbled to a soft ping sound.  Quite strange and the footing was off as well.  A total different grip. 

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: Hog are ya on March 02, 2007, 05:41:33 am
C.V. White I think was the name.  They actually had carpet for a surface.  Not shag but it was carpet.  You dribbled to a soft ping sound.  Quite strange and the footing was off as well.  A total different grip. 

You would be correct.  CV White (old Lakeview district) did have green carpet.  They also had some damn good basketball teams in Class B during the mid to late 80s.  Of course I believe it was discovered they had some players that played for 7 or 8 years.

pignparadise

Strangest is in the Globetrotters black and white movie "GO MAN GO!". They played in a dry swimming pool one time and had to dribble uphill to get to the "shallow end" from the diving end. The goal was on a pole in the shallow end and on the wall of the deep end.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

BallHog1

Quote from: yraciv on March 01, 2007, 02:21:38 pm
Watched a mayb basketball game in the old Scranton Gym a couple years ago.  It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen.  You would have to tip toe to shoot 3s in the corner or inbound the ball.  There were seats on each side behind 3 pillars, front row was practically on the court.  Oh I didn't mention on one end there was a goal up at about 13 feet over the 10 feet basket.  It was a very small court, so shots went up left and right.  Gym couldn't have been able to hold more then 250 people.  Please someone tell me that they've been there or would love to hear a story reliving an old game you played in there.  That being said I was thoroughly impressed w/ their current gym, for A. 

OH I've been there and played there. We played them twice a year and had a tendancy to try to break their press, which was darn good on that undersized court, by throwing a court length pass from out of bounds. We'd practice all week at our own gym getting ready for their famous press. The night of the game, we'd usually hit the wall at the other end of the court about eight feet up two or three times before we adjusted to the length of the court. They can hoop down in Scranton though...

chillinhoggie

Quote from: jlmnjem on March 01, 2007, 10:51:17 pm
Quote from: chillinhoggie on March 01, 2007, 04:30:46 pm
There was another one in FS too   at a church over by FSC.... great traction almost too good... I was always afraid I was gonna blow out a knee on the carpet courts... but I always felt like it increased my vertical..... or maybe the rims were low ;D

Metro Christian was right behind FSC.

When I was in college, we played Philander Smith, and their home gym was Dunbar Junior High. What a dump that place was.
Metro's gym was back to back with ours there was about a 6inch space between them all the way down... The gym I was speaking over is farther west behind 40/29.
Quote from: jamie72921 on March 01, 2007, 04:51:29 pm

You might know Brent Hayes, Frank Cluck, Toby Koprovic, aww crap, I can't remember some of the others names.
Toby and Gus were the only ones who could dunk back then... Stephen  Malone,  Eddie Dime, Reid Maddox, Gus Malzahn, Hogsanity

hogsanity

Played with all those guys. 

Ā 

okiehawg

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 01, 2007, 04:34:22 pm
Talahina, Oklahoma.

Elevated bleachers, some seats were behind glass.

The court had one set of lines for out of bounds, another for inbounds.

It had 3 halfcourt lines. One for the opening tip, one for 10 second violation, and another for backcourt violations.

The backboards were hung from the walls on each end.

Pretty bizare for a city boy.

I played a summer league game in that gym once I believe.  I just assumed the lines were volleyball lines.

WooieSooie

Quote from: hogsanity on March 02, 2007, 08:41:44 am

Don't forget WooieSooie.

Lavaca's gym wasn't wide enough.  The old Altus gym had raised stands.  Shiloh with their carpet.  Ugh.  The ball would stop rotating when it bounced, which made it tough on fast breaks.  My old church gym, Eastside Baptist in FS, had a tile floor.  It would get slippery, but if you were used to it, it was fun to play on.

Stephen Malone never dunked one in high school, but he did when he played at Westark.  I think Mark Lovett dunked some in high school.

And, no, Hogsanity never met a three he didn't like.
It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the leg selling drugs trying to make money to buy RAZORBACK tickets!

hogsanity

Quote from: WooieSooie on March 02, 2007, 12:27:08 pm

Don't forget WooieSooie.

Lavaca's gym wasn't wide enough.  The old Altus gym had raised stands.  Shiloh with their carpet.  Ugh.  The ball would stop rotating when it bounced, which made it tough on fast breaks.  My old church gym, Eastside Baptist in FS, had a tile floor.  It would get slippery, but if you were used to it, it was fun to play on.

Stephen Malone never dunked one in high school, but he did when he played at Westark.  I think Mark Lovett dunked some in high school.

Never met one I COULD NOT MAKE either.

chillinhoggie

Don't forget WooieSooie.

JB Weld

chillinhoggie

Quote from: hogsanity on March 02, 2007, 12:29:07 pm

Don't forget WooieSooie.

Uhh oh here we go.... get out the waders fellas

okiehawg

Quote from: Jerry Swine-feld on March 02, 2007, 12:49:02 pm
Has anyone played in the Umpire gym??? Umpire, AR is in southern part of the state and it is a single A school.. ANYWAY, the gym is a converted sale barn...  The three point line can't fit all the way around. There is a dotted line on the sidelines to be the 'out of bounds' line when throwing the ball in, yet is actually in play, once the ball is passed in.... It is so tiny, that i shot a three pointer and noticed that I was at half court...

Talk about NBA range...

Cure

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 01, 2007, 09:41:52 am
I remember playing in one where the stands were elevated over the court.  I'm wanting to say at Drew Central?  I forget.  Somewhere in SE Arkansas.
Yes the stands at Drew Central were elevated, played there this past season.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

WooieSooie

Quote from: hogsanity on March 02, 2007, 12:29:07 pm

Don't forget WooieSooie.

I know you liked the ones you missed, though.
It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the leg selling drugs trying to make money to buy RAZORBACK tickets!

Arkstfan

Forget all those high school gyms.

You ain't seen nothing until you've been to Texas Hall at Texas-Arlington. It's a NCAA Division I team (tag along with UCA when they go down there for conference games).

It's a for real auditorium and the court is up on the stage.

It's nothing short of weird to be sitting in a theatre and seeing a game up on the stage above you. Good thing for refs, the fans can't argue whether a player stepped out of bounds or had a foot on the three point line because the fans can't see the lines.

Unless they've taken safety precautions since ASU was in the Southland there is an orchestra pit between the stage and the seats. You don't see players chasing loose balls on that side of the court because you've got like an 8ft. drop off just past the out-of-bounds line.

weevilhogg

Dermott's gym was always different.  They roped off a small section of the bleachers and let us pretty much sit with the crowd.

Being a bench warmer, it made for some interesting conversations.
Oh my!

dfresh

Caraway -  One of their goals was several inches shorter than the other.
Armorel-  If you played much in the paint, it would turn the bottom of your sneakers orange.
Delaplaine- Each individual board was bowed upwards, almost like the entire place flooded at one time in the past.  There were also collums on the [CENSORED] space out every fifteen feet or so which had to be a problem for spectators.

weevilhogg

DeWitt's vistor lockerroom always smelled like piss.

Eudora had a freaky set up --- multiple floored gym with 2 full courts where the game was held.

Drew Central was probably my favorite place to play.  The floor was great and it had a "big time" feel with the stands elevated above the court.

Monticello's floor is real nice now that they got rid of the rubber floor (thanks, coach newell!)

Oh my!

weevilhogg

Dollarway had a "short" end, but I never was lucky enough to get a fastbreak on that end.
Oh my!

ballinhog

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 01, 2007, 09:48:39 am
I remember playing in one where the stands were elevated over the court.  I'm wanting to say at Drew Central?  I forget.  Somewhere in SE Arkansas.
It wasn't Drew Central Bomis (I only know that b/c I'm from Monticello and played in that gym 1x per year).
I hated gyms like my MHS gym that had rubber floors.  You felt you could never keep your shoes "clean" enough to keep from sliding on the floor.  We'd have a large wet rug for every game so you could wipe the bottom of your shoes before going in to the game.  However, that only helped until your soles dried.  In practice this situation was even worse.  I HATE RUBBER GYM FLOORS!

Yea im from Monticello too and the MHS court is weird. The out of bounds is like Vandy's then a big wall then the bleachers way above the court....Me and bolo1010 and southeasthog have had a few wars in threre lol

The Hog

Little Rock Christian use to have an egg crate type of floor.  Great traction but you talk about a serious case of road rash.  Can you say grated cheese knees and elbows.  It was terrible to play on.  The ball bounced fine and you could run.  Just do not fall while running.
Automatic RUN!

chrismo

u may be thinkin prescott...you walk in on a balcony looking down behind the goals.  ill never forget that court...we roasted them by 30+ for the regional title my senior year

chrismo

Quote from: weevilhogg on March 02, 2007, 05:44:27 pm
DeWitt's vistor lockerroom always smelled like piss.

Eudora had a freaky set up --- multiple floored gym with 2 full courts where the game was held.

Drew Central was probably my favorite place to play.  The floor was great and it had a "big time" feel with the stands elevated above the court.

Monticello's floor is real nice now that they got rid of the rubber floor (thanks, coach newell!)

eudoras court was terrible, you had to use a lockerroom about 400 feet below sea level, it always stunk like hell, and yea, the two court things.  plus their jerseys didnt match half the time...u played the dragons and the badgers? most of the time.

when i played in dermott we always sat in the very middle section of the court...it  was kinda wierd

TushCrush

Quote from: Fort Swine on March 01, 2007, 03:48:53 pm
Quote from: spudhog on March 01, 2007, 09:53:28 am
Darby Junior high in Fort Smith. The crowd is elevated abouve the players. i think the lowest seat is about 8-10 feet above the court. then, if your playing. the floor has walls around the whole court. which gives you about a foot or two of space. no diving for loose balls there. was like playing in a shoe box.  ugliest gym. betonville old gym (not sure it is still there). everything in there was the color of piss.  even the lights were some shade of yellow. was flat out nasty looking in there.

The ceiling was low due the auditorium above it.  The slope of the auditorium matched the ceiling.  If you ever noticed, the home team always went the way of the higher ceiling in the 2nd half.  Made the visiting team shoot at the low end.  Home court advantage.  If you wanted to, you could have gone swimming in the pool right beside it in the school.

I am with you on Muskogee A.R.  The only place where the roaches were armed.  The floor had never been redone.  It had 40 years of varnish on it.  The only thing good about going to A.R. was Cowboy Joe's BBQ on the way home.

Try Van Buren's old high school gym and the former Clair Bates gym.  The old HS gym had 30 rows of bleachers on one side and was sunk in like Darby.  The Bates gym was so small, it was as tiny as Southside.
One thing about playing at the old Darby was that the Rangers were always salty and would eat you up on that crackerbox court. It was always a trip to play there. Might have even been a little shy of 10' too ... at least it seemed like it every time Darby/Northside high jump champion Jim Birch went up for the tip.
Boot didn't seem to ever have any problem getting up above that thing either. I used to have to cover his *ss ---Code Red.
I enjoyed playing in the old Van Buren gym ... crowd up high and the action was all on the court. I used to have to cover Brad Thomas, former great Hog db. That never worked out very good ...
The old Southside was a great place to play for the exact opposite reason that Van Buren was memorable - the fans were right on top of the court. Lots of smack. That would have been '72.
I know that none of this matters any more ...  just trolling for old timers to say hey ha ha ha.

jamie72921

Don't forget WooieSooie.

I go to Eastside.

Do you remember Tobi Koprovic? I have never seen anyone who could jump like that.

I could sky before I tore ligaments off the bone in my ankles, but I was still a good 4 inches in vertical away from Koprovic when I was healthy.
Bless your heart

TushCrush

Quote from: Arkstfan on March 02, 2007, 04:32:49 pm

You ain't seen nothing until you've been to Texas Hall at Texas-Arlington. It's a NCAA Division I team (tag along with UCA when they go down there for conference games).

It's nothing short of weird to be sitting in a theatre and seeing a game up on the stage above you. Good thing for refs, the fans can't argue whether a player stepped out of bounds or had a foot on the three point line because the fans can't see the lines.

Unless they've taken safety precautions since ASU was in the Southland there is an orchestra pit between the stage and the seats. You don't see players chasing loose balls on that side of the court because you've got like an 8ft. drop off just past the out-of-bounds line.
You gotta be kidding ... too much. ::)

Mister_BS

Quote from: TushCrush on March 02, 2007, 10:39:48 pm
Quote from: Arkstfan on March 02, 2007, 04:32:49 pm

sounds much like the lower seats at Vandy's gym

The Hog

Quote from: Hogtropolisā„¢ on March 01, 2007, 11:02:18 am
I appreciate your boldness to leave your predictions out for everybody to see.  There are a few on the board that make bold statements and cut down opponents but fail to accept a loss by making useless excuses.  Their embarrassing bold cutting predictions seem to be absent when it comes to admitting their lack of expertise they claim to possess.
Automatic RUN!

bmickey9

Anyone ever play at 56?

Wall right against one side of the court.  We sat in the 1st row of stands and there was a wave in the court.  The ball did some incredible things when bounced on that floor!

Blue35

The old Blytheville High Gym in the 1950's. It was beneath the football stands.  There were bleachers on only one side of the court and the [CENSORED] was up above the floor about six feet  The backboards were made out of wood and  painted white.  Glass backboards came the next year and we thought it was a modern miracle. Coach Fisher spent a great deal of time teaching us how to shoot off of the glass.  He said it would take a while but that if we hit it anywhere high on the glass it would go in.  Another unique gym was at Marmaduke. It was very small with stands on one side only and a very short floor and dim lights.  It was very smoky like a nightclub.  The one game we played there we lost  90 something to about 50.  There was a big sign on the wall that said, "if you fly with the owls at night you can't run with the Marmaduke Greyhounds".

TomasPistola

Quote from: Coondog Hog on March 01, 2007, 10:53:46 am
Any of you guys ever play in the old rock CCC gyms built way back when they were always cold, damp, and smelled like moldy carpet many of the smaller schools still use them for classrooms and PE and stuff.

I went to Sulphur Rock until 9th grade. We had the "Old Gym" down by the bus parking lot that was an old stone building with the raised bleachers. We had a split class in 3rd grade and actually attended class in another old rock building about 200 feet away from it. It had heat, but no AC and the water fountain didn't work for the entire first semester. Our teacher was allergic to the smell of fresh cut grass, so we were locked up tight in the summer when they mowed the grass. And this was in the late 80's too.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Wash Hogwallop

The gym at Hickory Ridge, when it was a high school, the stands were enclosed by an 8 foot solid wood wall.  The access to the bleachers were on each end only.  The scorers "table" was underneath the home side bleachers in a floor level cubbie-hole.  It was four feet deeper than the gym floor.  You stared at the players sneakers if you worked the scorers table.  The out of bounds were a max of three feet but I am guessing less as two people could not pass shoulder to shoulder without being pushed into the wall.  It was a good floor though.