Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson defends Stan Heath, attacks Nutt, claims racism

Started by allyoucaneatbuffet, March 01, 2007, 06:44:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

allyoucaneatbuffet

March 01, 2007, 06:44:29 am Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 11:42:08 am by allyoucaneatbuffet
says patience is slim for black coaches, says stan deserves more time with his own guys.

if you have the adg today check out the front page of the main section.  nolan is VERY grey.

Best quotes:    "they're not as tolerant of us as they are a white coach"   :puke:

Did you hear me say 'Give me two more years?'   :) :) :)

hogman64

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on March 01, 2007, 06:44:29 am
says patience is slim for black coaches, says stan deserves more time with his own guys.

if you have the adg today check out the front page of the main section.  nolan is VERY grey.

Best quote:    "they're not as tolerant of us as they are a white coach"

:puke:

Somebody please give him a job and get him off the payroll and out of the state.........Maybe New Mexico is that stupid, sounded like Wally thinks he  would be a good fit for that job because he wears boots..........

NuttinItUp

Why is it that Nolan waited till after he left to start making sensible statements?

sarcasm if you couldn't tell

artyhog

Did you expect him to say anything else.  Dr Hill said about the same thing about FB coaches.

Dr Swineglove

Nolan's right - Firing Stan and keeping Nutt is a clear double standard.  IMO, Nutt is still
around because he's a suck-up, not because he's white, but still there is at least an *appearance*
of racism.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Pork Twain

Is anyone surprised???  Go Nolan...  Stan is not getting the job done and needs to move on.  HDN was JFB's whipping boy but his time at the UofA is short with JFB leaving.

If you have cancer it both testicles you do NOT waste time trying to figure out which one to take out first.  You just take out the one that you can and then you get the next one as soon as you can.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jkstock04

The double standard is clear as day in my mind....I don't think its really racism....its just the "good ole boy" network....the Frank Broyles/MSM/Dallas Cowboys connection crap.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Michael Porkleone

just when I was starting to get over my negative feelings for Nolan..

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

hogman64

Quote from: Yindao on March 01, 2007, 07:11:56 am

mine are permanent...........

razorrog1

How many years did Nolan coach here? 18? We didn't win a championship every year, so there must have been at least some patience here and there.
Even on down years, Nolan filled up the arena and that will buy a lot of patience.  I wasn't at the game last night, but it didn't look full on tv.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: hogman64 on March 01, 2007, 07:12:42 am

I guess mine are also....However, for a stretch this season I missed the fire he brought to the court.

never mind though. 
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

HogTies

All I will add is that if Nutt accomplished what Nolan had... he (Nutt)would be AD for life!  Somebody get a statue of Nolan...quick!

razorrog1

Quote from: Yindao on March 01, 2007, 07:16:47 am
Quote from: hogman64 on March 01, 2007, 07:12:42 am

I guess mine are also....However, for a stretch this season I missed the fire he brought to the court.

never mind though. 
I was really missing that fire also.  I started remembering how good it was when it was all about the on the court/field activities.  I'm sick of the tabloid and soap opera, but I'm more sick of the division and hatred between the fans. JFB caused a lot of that division and Nolan has reminded me of how he contributed.  Does it make those of us who think Stan needs to go racist also? Nolan had his day in court, now it's over.  He gets in the spotlight again, and here we go.  I've stated on other threads, once the racism card is played, there can be no compromise.  Racism should be called to right an injustice, not further an agenda. This is a huge chasm that without proof, should not be opened.

Franchise_Hog

The black-white thing in sports today is wearing me out.  The media in general is the biggest culprit.

Did the Bears-Colts play in the Superbowl or was it just Lovie Smith vs. Tony Dungy?  By ESPN's coverage, I couldn't tell.

The other day I was watching PTI and Wilbon in conversation described the NBA as a black league.  Well, the truth of the matter is, it is.  But technically, how discriminating that statement is to white athletes in NBA...sarcasm.  What would not be sarcasm is if the rolls were reversed and Tony said something about maybe a prodominantly white institution.

I loved Nolan while he was here.  I respect him for what he gave us.  But because of the title of this thread alone, Nolan should never ever be brought up by people on this board wanting him back.  If Stan is fired it will be because of performance, not race...it can't get more "black and white" than that.

taoteching

LA HAWG

Gentlemen, from the outside looking in this does look like rascism.  This is a result of Frank's knee jerk reaction and hiring of Stan Heath.  Two black coaches fired in the span of a mediocre football coach with NO CHAMPIONSHIPS!  What else does it look like.  I am all for getting rid of Stan but for HDN to be bulletproof is rediculous.

LA HAWG

Quote from: Franchise_Hog on March 01, 2007, 07:26:39 am
The black-white thing in sports today is wearing me out.  The media in general is the biggest culprit.

Did the Bears-Colts play in the Superbowl or was it just Lovie Smith vs. Tony Dungy?  By ESPN's coverage, I couldn't tell.

The other day I was watching PTI and Wilbon in conversation described the NBA as a black league.  Well, the truth of the matter is, it is.  But technically, how discriminating that statement is to white athletes in NBA...sarcasm.  What would not be sarcasm is if the rolls were reversed and Tony said something about maybe a prodominantly white institution.

I loved Nolan while he was here.  I respect him for what he gave us.  But because of the title of this thread alone, Nolan should never ever be brought up by people on this board wanting him back.  If Stan is fired it will be because of performance, not race...it can't get more "black and white" than that.

Two questions and I am really not trying to be a jerk here.

1.  Are you white?

2.  If Stan is fired due to lack of performance then why has HDN not been fired for the same? 

razorrog1

How many coaches have been fired in the football program since Nolan was hired? Where has more patience been shown?

toshortrock

nolan  or not,u have to fire nutt to,he ain;t done nothing,i'm white,and i can see nutt has done nothing,i say give them a package deal and send them together
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

razorrog1

Quote from: toshortrock on March 01, 2007, 07:35:11 am
nolan  or not,u have to fire nutt to,he ain;t done nothing,i'm white,and i can see nutt has done nothing,i say give them a package deal and send them together

We need a change in basketball and football.  My race, or anyone else, has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.  If someone is white does that mean they just don't understand?  If someone is black, do they have extra insight?  C'mon folks, let not go down to this level. 

HogsSon46

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on March 01, 2007, 07:00:19 am
Nolan's right - Firing Stan and keeping Nutt is a clear double standard.  IMO, Nutt is still
around because he's a suck-up, not because he's white, but still there is at least an *appearance*
of racism.

I think there is some racism on the Hill, but I dont think that has anything to do with Heath. He hasnt produced since he's been here and that the main point. Nutt is still around b/c he only had 2 horrible seasons, before that we were at least going to bowl games. Nutt still deserves a few more years based solely on winning. And as a man of color, I would be getting rid of Heath to. He's a nice guy, but not going to win you any games.

LA HAWG

Race is always an issue people.  Let's not try to hide or ignore that fact.

brodie_hawg

At a traditional top 20 basketball program, what school gives a coach more than 5 years to turn around the program.

razorrog1

LA HAWG you are right.  Some blacks think whites are out to get them. Some whites think blacks are out to get them. There are complete and total idiots on both sides that play the racial card at the drop of a hat.   Nolan had a chance to prove this in court.  He did not.  Why is this still a discussion? 

RealHogFan

If it was racism, why was Stan hired to begin with?  Or Nolan?  Nolan forgets the pass he got his first two years, when we stunk after being an NCAA team every year under Eddie.  We were lucky to beat ASU in the NIT.  But he wasn't fired then.

He is all rage, all mouth, and no class.  He was only fired after he ran his mouth about the "give me my money" crap.  Good riddance.

94 Hawg

Quote from: razorrog1 on March 01, 2007, 07:34:31 am
How many coaches have been fired in the football program since Nolan was hired? Where has more patience been shown?
great point!

I can't speak for Stan any better than, oh say Nolan, Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson can.  I'd bet that Stan wishes Nolan would just shut up about this.
this is typical nolan post 1990 or so.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

lilredheadedlady

Honestly, I think Nolan is correct that there is a double standard. 

I don't know if it is about race, the "good ole boy network," or what, but if we fire Stan Heath and keep Houston Nutt (after all his garbage), then there is obviously a double standard.  There's really nothing else to say about it.

I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 01, 2007, 07:30:34 am

1.  Are you white?

2.  If Stan is fired due to lack of performance then why has HDN not been fired for the same? 

Yes, I'm white.

I have absolutely no clue as to why Nutt has not been fired...but I will give you my opinion as to why I think he's still here.  Nutt went to 6 straight bowl games after a dismal Danny Ford tenure.  There has been no real post season with Stan.  Whether Stan was the only PTB that said no to the NIT a couple of years ago, I don't know, but he was a big factor as to why we didn't play. As much as I get tired of Nutt's rah-rah cheerleading sometimes, he would have embraced a mediocre bowl game on Dec. 18th to give something back to his players.  We have had big wins on national TV with Nutt...Stan hasn't beaten Kentucky once since he got here, he hasn't gone into highly ranked opponents homes and won...Nutt hasn't enough, but Texas and Auburn come into mind.  I remember a game a few years ago and we (football team)were getting killed at Alabama...we came back and won in exciting fashion.  Stan has never had this happen, with him we're up big and lose it in the end.

I don't want to get into typing pages of what Stan and Nutt have done or not done since they have been.  I personally believe Nutt has done more than Stan. 

Two more things actually, except for the Springdale players, Nutt for the most part has been loved by his players.  I don't see that with Stan and his teams...and it may be that people just like football more than basketball...just look at the crowd last night at BWA....whether Nutt's here or not, RRS will be full.

Bosston

Nolan is full of hatred. Anybody who wants him back better be ready for a slew of quotes like that one. He is more interested in being a black panther than he is a basketball coach. if that is what you want to do with your life then fine, its a great cause. but its NOT basketball and EVERYTHING isnt determined by race.

Junkyard Hog

What if we had a white coach that went 30-49 in the SEC in his first five seasons?  Would he be fired?

OF COURSE HE WOULD

No racism there.

HogsSon46

Quote from: Franchise_Hog on March 01, 2007, 08:01:01 am
Quote from: LA HAWG on March 01, 2007, 07:30:34 am

1.  Are you white?

Yes, I'm white.

I have absolutely no clue as to why Nutt has not been fired...but I will give you my opinion as to why I think he's still here.  Nutt went to 6 straight bowl games after a dismal Danny Ford tenure.  There has been no real post season with Stan.  Whether Stan was the only PTB that said no to the NIT a couple of years ago, I don't know, but he was a big factor as to why we didn't play. As much as I get tired of Nutt's rah-rah cheerleading sometimes, he would have embraced a mediocre bowl game on Dec. 18th to give something back to his players.  We have had big wins on national TV with Nutt...Stan hasn't beaten Kentucky once since he got here, he hasn't gone into highly ranked opponents homes and won...Nutt hasn't enough, but Texas and Auburn come into mind.  I remember a game a few years ago and we (football team)were getting killed at Alabama...we came back and won in exciting fashion.  Stan has never had this happen, with him we're up big and lose it in the end.

I don't want to get into typing pages of what Stan and Nutt have done or not done since they have been.  I personally believe Nutt has done more than Stan. 

Two more things actually, except for the Springdale players, Nutt for the most part has been loved by his players.  I don't see that with Stan and his teams...and it may be that people just like football more than basketball...just look at the crowd last night at BWA....whether Nutt's here or not, RRS will be full.

Yes, I am Black...and totally agree

GBPackerFan

I really didn't want to post in this thread b/c I hate this kind of crap.  But, the thing with Heath vs. Nutt on this one is, whether most of you like it or not, Nutt has taken us to several bowl games and we just missed out on a BCS bowl game and just won the SEC West.  Heath has taken us to the tourney once in his 5 years here.  That is why Heath is being let go.  Now, in my opinion, and I am sure that most would disagree with this, I would like to see Heath get one more year with his players.  Some of his very first recruits will be seniors next season and I think that he should get one more shot at it.  Whoever comes in as coach for next season is walking into a pretty good spot.  There is a lot of talent on this team and finally some seniors, and I think that it is only fair for Heath to get coach them.  Just my opinion on the matter and I am sure that I am in the minority in this one.

Trottsky

Did anyone see Nolan's remarks about being forced by Broyles to recruit "little" Arkansas kids after the NCAA troubles?

"Frank gave up two years of junior college ... and look what I got? I got the neighborhood team," he said, adding that, "I had all the little kids around Arkansas. You ain't going to win no national championship with a neighborhood team."

Anyone care to extrapolate "neighborhood team" to any other sports at UA?

See full story at:

http://www. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/archive/2007/03/01/WashingtonDCBureau/340879.html

BUBBAHOG

It all comes down to Butts in the seats. Tolerance is used when tickets are sold. HDN is here because tickets are being sold and the stadium is near sell out at all times. I was at the game last night and I would guess 8,000 maybe. You can walkup to the door and buy tickets now. BB is a revenue sport. No tickets no money, it's that simple.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: donewithdale on March 01, 2007, 08:06:49 am
Quote from: Junkyard Hog on March 01, 2007, 08:04:58 am
What if we had a white coach that went 30-49 in the SEC in his first five seasons?  Would he be fired?

OF COURSE HE WOULD

No racism there.

Not necessarily.  Depends on the white coach, where he is from and who his family knows.

Black coaches also can have leniency based on where they are from and have family who know people.  I am not talking about anything but results.  Based on results, it is time for him to go.

mword

dirtydoghog

Nolan only wants Stan to stay here because he knows Stan will keep losing and it will just make Nolan look that much better.  This isn't about racism, it is about yet another coach and is ego.

SpareRib

I have great respect for Nolan's work ethic, for his record, for what he accomplished at Arkansas.  I respect him for holding things together during Yvonne's illness.  I respect him for his strength of character.

My respect for an individual is based on what he does with the gifts he has, not the color of his skin.  Nolan has my respect.

Nobody is perfect.  Nolan's biggest flaw is his view of race issues.  I can respect where it may have come from, and I'll bet it goes way back.

BUT, he is wrong on this one, and he does himself a disservice by throwing it out.  Stan's tenure at Arkansas will not be determined on the basis of race; it will be performance.  Further, if Nolan wants to coach again, he handicaps himself by continuing to talk race.  The good programs will be reluctant to hire someone who may be throwing race bombs with his temper tantrums.

Nolan, put it down and just do what you do best.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

cmoorehogs

So, if we would have hired a white coach after Nolan, that would have been seen as racist. We hired a black coach and he hasn't gotten the job done in 5 years here. Fire him for job performance and that's racist. What could we have done to not seem racist. Lets see, maybe we could have hired a black coach from Tulsa, let him coach here 18 years, win a NC and go to 3 final fours. Nolan coached here for almost two decades, still lives in Arkansas, but somehow he was mistreated. Whatever. Stan hasn't gotten the job done , plain and simple.

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: cmoorehogs on March 01, 2007, 08:45:41 am
So, if we would have hired a white coach after Nolan, that would have been seen as racist. We hired a black coach and he hasn't gotten the job done in 5 years here. Fire him for job performance and that's racist. What could we have done to not seem racist. Lets see, maybe we could have hired a black coach from Tulsa, let him coach here 18 years, win a NC and go to 3 final fours. Nolan coached here for almost two decades, still lives in Arkansas, but somehow he was mistreated. Whatever. Stan hasn't gotten the job done , plain and simple.

Couldn't have said it better.

Blue35

Is there anybody that wants Nolan back after that testimony to Congress yesterday?  Nolan does not give a hoot about Stan, he is just using the situation as a pre text to once again play the race card and bash the UA.  Nolan needs a job.  He has too much spare time on his hands.

cmoorehogs

Stan had 1 year of head coaching experience. 1 year!!!! If you think he was hired for any other reason than the fact that he is black, maybe you need to pull your head out of the sand. We replaced a Hall of Fame coach in Nolan Richardson, with a coach with 1 freaking year of head coaching experience. Why????? because he took Kent State to the Elite 8. Give me a break. There was no way in hell that we were going to hire a white coach after the firing of Nolan.

aloha_kid

of racism.

I've been saying that for over 2 months now.  And based on Stans record of improvement, Nolan is right.

aloha_kid

Quote from: cmoorehogs on March 01, 2007, 09:01:55 am
Stan had 1 year of head coaching experience. 1 year!!!! If you think he was hired for any other reason than the fact that he is black, maybe you need to pull your head out of the sand. We replaced a Hall of Fame coach in Nolan Richardson, with a coach with 1 freaking year of head coaching experience. Why????? because he took Kent State to the Elite 8. Give me a break. There was no way in hell that we were going to hire a white coach after the firing of Nolan.

Yeah and HDN had a whole lot of experience as a HC.

cmoorehogs

I never said anything about HDN, we never should have hired him either. The two things have nothing to do with each other. They are separate issues. I want Nutt gone just like the majority of people on this board. But, amazingly, I have the ability to distinguish between the two. Everytime something gets said about Stan Heath, I don't immediately think Houston Nutt. Not sure why others can't do that. Job performance is what its about with Stan. He should be fired for that, and that alone. HDN had back to back losing seasons, should have been fired, and wasn't. But, that has nothing to do with why Stan should be fired.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on March 01, 2007, 06:44:29 am

Best quote:    "they're not as tolerant of us as they are a white coach"

:puke:

Same old Nolan. No matter how successful he is, no matter how much money he made, and he made a lot, everything that goes wrong for a black coach is racism. He was subjected to racism as a youth and young adult and it has permanently stained him. He seems unable to forgive and unable to distinguish between racism and unbaised judgment of job performance.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

budcampbellfan

Nolan is still at it.  Stan was hired partly because of his race.  If he were not black he would never have even been considered.  He does not have the family political clout of the Nutt family to hang on as long as Nutt.  Plus Nutt is a better brown noser.  Race has nothing to do with Stan staying or leaving. 
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

PiggyBack

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 01, 2007, 07:29:10 am
Two black coaches fired in the span of a mediocre football coach with NO CHAMPIONSHIPS! 

But, according to the "Alabama Alumni" we have won THREE SEC WEST CHAMPIONSHIPS! 
Everyone wishes they were us.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

dirtydoghog

Quote from: donewithdale on March 01, 2007, 08:24:14 am
Quote from: dirtydoghog on March 01, 2007, 08:21:20 am
Nolan only wants Stan to stay here because he knows Stan will keep losing and it will just make Nolan look that much better.  This isn't about racism, it is about yet another coach and is ego.

Sure.  Nolan is a great actor.  And a black man who grew up when he did where he did, tolerated what he did here especially in the 80s and dealt with a boss like Frank would have no feelings of being discriminated against.  That's a good 'denial' theory.

I am glad Nolan coached here.  The reason that Stan is about to be fired is not racism.  We all know that.  No matter how much spin is applied to try and push other agenda's, it is not close to racism.

WhenPigsFly

of racism.

This is EXACTLY what the situation is.  I don't believe it's racism, rather just a case of favoritism, because every time Frank said jump, Hoosten said how high???