Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update on Tennessee No-Huddle

Started by bphi11ips, February 28, 2007, 02:21:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Reported today in The Tennessean:

Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe said Tuesday that he's been pleased with the progress in the Vols' no-huddle attack.

The offense has worked almost exclusively in the no-huddle during the first week of spring practice and has had surprising success with it to this point, Cutcliffe said.

"I think it has been really good from an execution and understanding standpoint", he said.  "There are a few little kinks that you have to work out.  But to be honest with you, I have been amazed at how our players have adapted to it."

Quarterback Erik Ainge said the offensive changes have made spring practice more fun.

"There's something new, and it brings a new energy to all the offensive guys", Ainge said.  "We're just out there having fun right now."

Amazing how players' attitudes are affected by support from the coaching staff.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rasorback4life

Did he consult Frank and his experts first?

What are they thinking?!?!?!?
Mediocrity Rules!!!

tiber

Hmm... good enough for Cutcliffe... nah. 

It's just embarrassing how we look with this going on.

TechHog

Their quarterbacks better start working on the fine art of the handing off.  All that silly passing game will do is get you beat.  You know 2

out of the 3 things that happen when passing are bad.  Passing da foosball is the DEBIL!!!

HoopS

I can't decide whether to laugh or cry....

Nashville Fan

Explains why they started practice last week.
Pittman or Bust!

U.P. HOGG

Damn, when did they start there spring practice?

Sdalehogfan

I thought you had to recruit the "right" kind of players before you could run the HUNH.  Silly Cutcliffe...

Jim Harris

February 28, 2007, 02:33:44 pm #8 Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 02:35:58 pm by drakehog
Quote from: bphi11ips on February 28, 2007, 02:21:19 pm

Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe said Tuesday that he's been pleased with the progress in the Vols' no-huddle attack.

The offense has worked almost exclusively in the no-huddle during the first week of spring practice and has had surprising success with it to this point, Cutcliffe said.

"I think it has been really good from an execution and understanding standpoint", he said.  "There are a few little kinks that you have to work out.  But to be honest with you, I have been amazed at how our players have adapted to it."

Quarterback Erik Ainge said the offensive changes have made spring practice more fun.

"There's something new, and it brings a new energy to all the offensive guys", Ainge said.  "We're just out there having fun right now."

could someone forward to Broyles at Augusta, as well as to Nutt in his office? thanks.

The other part of that report that interests is that UT players are "having fun." Spring practice at Fayetteville under Nutt as perennially been a waste of 15 days.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

GorillaJMonsoon

February 28, 2007, 02:37:23 pm #9 Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 02:39:21 pm by GorillaJMonsoon
Its too bad that we don't play Tennessee in Fayetteville this coming season.  Can you imagine how pissed the fans would be if the Vols blew our D away with the HUNH?  In the SEC?  Maybe if we hadn't run off Gus, he would have helped us figure out a way to stop it consistently.  More salt in the wound is all this story is.

BTW, if you read the HUNH by Gus, it specifically says that it will excite and energize the players and they will enjoy running it.  Cut's quote basically says the same thing.

I have that date circled on my calendar.

inhognation

Quote from: tiber on February 28, 2007, 02:27:36 pm
Hmm... good enough for Cutcliffe... nah. 

It's just embarrassing how we look with this going on.

Didn't HDN say that he offered Cutcliffe, the OC job last spring.  We didn't run the HUNH last year with Gus, so what would have happened if DC would have wanted to switch Hogs to HUNH. 

Won't work in the SEC, huh???

I hope not, but Tennessee will probably rip us at Knoxville next year....

TheNuttlessFrontier

Quote from: HoopSlap on February 28, 2007, 02:29:30 pm

We'll really be crying if this lures Mitchell Mustain to Tennessee.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: opineonswine on February 28, 2007, 02:21:38 pm
Won't work in the SEC.  Silly Vols.

I understand that the no-huddle doth melt faces.
[CENSORED]!

HOGINTENNESSEE

razorback4ever

Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe said Tuesday that he’s been pleased with the progress in the Vols’ no-huddle attack.

“I think it has been really good from an execution and understanding standpoint”, he said.  “There are a few little kinks that you have to work out.  But to be honest with you, I have been amazed at how our players have adapted to it.”

“There’s something new, and it brings a new energy to all the offensive guys”, Ainge said.  “We’re just out there having fun right now.”

AAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

God, what could have been but for the pure arrogance and stupidity of Broyles and Nutt.
Come on White, save us from falling behind in the SEC even worse than we are now. With Florida and now Tennessee running the HUNH, it won't be long before the rest of the league catches up, and we will be left behind.
Reminds me of when Nolan came to the SEC. It didn't take long before the other schools, starting with Kentucky, to become more fast paced to match up better with us. We caused a change in the conference during the early 90's in basketball, and WERE in a position to be leading the pack in football starting last year........What a damn shame the people controlling football are not visionaries.

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 28, 2007, 02:53:00 pm #16 Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:20:41 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: gators_fear_dmac on February 28, 2007, 02:44:52 pm
Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 28, 2007, 02:42:25 pm
No-huddle does not equal Spread.

And?

It was Spread not the no-huddle that was Frank said would not work without a running Ob. Tennesse is not running the spread.

ozarkhog

Not that I want us to lose, BUT a good butt kicking by this offense would be poetic justice.

I would cry though.

AKA: Snowflake  
Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your habits.
Watch your habits; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny

ozarkhog

February 28, 2007, 03:12:52 pm #18 Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 03:14:35 pm by ozarkhog
Quote from: opineonswine on February 28, 2007, 03:07:35 pm
Quote from: ozarkhog on February 28, 2007, 02:56:20 pm
Not that I want us to lose, BUT a good butt kicking by this offense would be poetic justice.

I would cry though.

You needn't worry.  It won't take the HUNH to beat Nutt and the Mafia in Knoxville.  I had the misfortune of attending a nutt coached game in Knoxville.  It was over with 5 mins left in the FIRST QUARTER!..  I think the score at the end of the first quarter was 35-0.  I believe it was when I realized we had a lemon as coach.

Please, I spend years trying to recover from traumas caused by those types of games. Just the thought makes me want to chew my nails.
AKA: Snowflake  
Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your habits.
Watch your habits; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny

dirtydoghog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 28, 2007, 02:53:00 pm

And?

It was Spread not the no-huddle that was Frank said would not work without a running Ob.

And it should be noted that Florida does plan to use a QB that can run next year with this offense. 

dirtydoghog

Quote from: gators_fear_dmac on February 28, 2007, 02:39:51 pm

Tears of laughter.  I think Nutt is pretty shady, but he has nothing on Fat Phil.  Just ask the QB that UT wouldn't release when he wanted to transfer. 

Nashville Fan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 28, 2007, 02:53:00 pm

And?

It was Spread not the no-huddle that was Frank said would not work without a running Ob.
Last year, didn't Cut spread the TN offense before the Memphis game and keep the spread? Looks like Cut can make the spread work without a running QB, although Ainge did get hurt....hummmm
Pittman or Bust!

DeltaBoy

Tinner is going to whip our A$$$ this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

disGUSted

Quote from: gators_fear_dmac on February 28, 2007, 02:39:51 pm

Real possibility. DC and MM had a good relationship when ND was in the mix.
But TU has good depth at qb and this will only attract more.
Hard to root against Mitch (if he goes) but I hate anything in orange. I bet Satan wears orange! :puke:

hogtusk

I would cry though.

You needn't worry.  It won't take the HUNH to beat Nutt and the Mafia in Knoxville.  I had the misfortune of attending a nutt coached game in Knoxville.  It was over with 5 mins left in the FIRST QUARTER!..  I think the score at the end of the first quarter was 35-0.  I believe it was when I realized we had a lemon as coach.
I'm hoping the score is more like last years (28-7 halftime). Beating the Vols 2 years in a row would be sweet. Phat Phil would have a fit. We might get lucky, it might take them a year for everybody to run the new offense to perfection.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Silver Hog

I bet Satan wears orange!

now that right there is FUNNY!

hogsNbeer

DAMMIT to HELL!!!!!!!!   We are falling even more behind!!!!!    This is downright pathetic......... To see that the Vols, an already potent offense with a COACH-- now going to the HUNH and having fun with it........ The VOLS will have fun whipping us up and down the field next year........... I'm going to be sick...

patgrl

OMG. Did the Vols move to the Big 10? We know the HUNH will never work in the SEC.

bphi11ips

Quote from: swisshog on February 28, 2007, 03:49:07 pm
I bet Satan wears orange!

now that right there is FUNNY!

No fruit sucks like the big orange of Tennessee!
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Razor-back

Even Cutcliffe knows it takes time (longer than one year) to put this system in place.

woghild

Just remember any game nuttless wins is another reason for him to
stay.  I'm gonna love seeing TN's HUNH crush him.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Sdalehogfan on February 28, 2007, 02:32:44 pm
I thought you had to recruit the "right" kind of players before you could run the HUNH.  Silly Cutcliffe...
Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on February 28, 2007, 02:30:00 pm
Damn, when did they start there spring practice?

Who is that in your avatar? I love her!

ALLVOL

Oh, I guess I should say somthing about our No Huddle. I hope our D is ready to play but I am looking forward to seeing it.

But I love that chick in his avatar! If she is from Arkansas I'm moving!

PiggyBack

I would cry though.

About your avatar.....

"You know, Dale, if I thought you weren't my friend; I just don't think I could bear it.........."
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

PAHog

Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

classof74dinosaur

Quote from: razorback4ever on February 28, 2007, 02:49:35 pm

Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe said Tuesday that he’s been pleased with the progress in the Vols’ no-huddle attack.

“I think it has been really good from an execution and understanding standpoint”, he said.  “There are a few little kinks that you have to work out.  But to be honest with you, I have been amazed at how our players have adapted to it.”

“There’s something new, and it brings a new energy to all the offensive guys”, Ainge said.  “We’re just out there having fun right now.”

God, what could have been but for the pure arrogance and stupidity of Broyles and Nutt.
Come on White, save us from falling behind in the SEC even worse than we are now. With Florida and now Tennessee running the HUNH, it won't be long before the rest of the league catches up, and we will be left behind.
Reminds me of when Nolan came to the SEC. It didn't take long before the other schools, starting with Kentucky, to become more fast paced to match up better with us. We caused a change in the conference during the early 90's in basketball, and WERE in a position to be leading the pack in football starting last year........What a damn shame the people controlling football are not visionaries.

You are dead wrong!  Broyles and Nutt do indeed have a vision.  It's called........up the middle in a cloud of dust.

Jim Harris

Quote from: classof74dinosaur on February 28, 2007, 04:38:16 pm
Quote from: razorback4ever on February 28, 2007, 02:49:35 pm

You are dead wrong!  Broyles and Nutt do indeed have a vision.  It's called........up the middle in a cloud of dust.

But up the middle was so successful back in the old days against the Rices, TCUs, Texas Techs, SMUs and occasionally the Baylors and Texas A&Ms of the world, and once in a while big bad ol' Texas, especially when it hit an all-to-brief brief talent drought.
Up the middle allows you to let those sorry teams beat themselves, and your undermanned, small but quick squad comes out the victor. It's the right strategy to apply to all those sorry teams we play these days.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

I would cry though.

Everybody can have a bad day, Opine. ;D

Even Mack Brown had a day like that against OU. Phat Phil had a second half like that against Spurrier, when Phil had Peyton.

Yeah, they scored so fast it just messed everything up. The JP guys doing the game were laughing, especially when Travis Henry stiff-armed JJ Jones to the ground like he was a little child, and Wally said the sportswriters in the pressbox that day were cackling for three hours at Nutt and the Hogs. At least two good things happened, though: John Thompson took over from Allen as def. coordinator (finally), and we went on to have a terrific bowl trip at the end of that season to Vegas.

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 28, 2007, 04:26:21 pm
Oh, I guess I should say somthing about our No Huddle. I hope our D is ready to play but I am looking forward to seeing it.

But I love that chick in his avatar! If she is from Arkansas I'm moving!

I wish I knew who it was as well.

jhogfan554

Keep in mind there was a key phrase from the first article about Tenn running the HUNH offense, which is not the same as the spread. Phil said that they were going to try it because they had a very experienced, senior quarterback. Key words - proven, experienced, senior, - quarterback. We had none of the three last year. I think Gus was smart enough to recognize that. In his book, Gus said to incorporate his offense you needed patience. He said it could not transform overnight and that for a year or two you might lose more games than you win with it. That is why you need the commitment and the patience to see it through. Going in with a new coach at Tulsa, Gus gets a three-year free pass to build up his version of the HUNH offense and the spread. Doubt that the fans at AR would have been willing to suffer through another couple of losing or 500 seasons. I think Gus and HDN were smart enough to figure that out.

hog caller

the vols are just wasting their time with this brcause we all know IT WON'T WORK IN THE SEC.
don't we.

Frank and Swine

Quote from: jhogfan554 on February 28, 2007, 06:00:04 pm
Keep in mind there was a key phrase from the first article about Tenn running the HUNH offense, which is not the same as the spread. Phil said that they were going to try it because they had a very experienced, senior quarterback. Key words - proven, experienced, senior, - quarterback. We had none of the three last year. I think Gus was smart enough to recognize that. In his book, Gus said to incorporate his offense you needed patience. He said it could not transform overnight and that for a year or two you might lose more games than you win with it. That is why you need the commitment and the patience to see it through. Going in with a new coach at Tulsa, Gus gets a three-year free pass to build up his version of the HUNH offense and the spread. Doubt that the fans at AR would have been willing to suffer through another couple of losing or 500 seasons. I think Gus and HDN were smart enough to figure that out.

Let's wait and read for ourselves what Gus thought about running the HUNH at UA last year.  He gave an interview to Dennis Dodd and supposedly this is one of the topics. Should be interesting one way or the other.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Fulmer will get a co-oc to help Cutcliff and he will guit and go to Tulsa,
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

hog_fan

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on February 28, 2007, 06:05:05 pm
Fulmer will get a co-oc to help Cutcliff and he will guit and go to Tulsa,

Gus is Co-oc at Tulsa. That had nothing to do with why he left. Stop listening to nutt. Nutt lied to Gus when asked about hiring lee. nutt denied it at first. and Nutt fired Rob Taylor for telling Mitch about Lee. How do you approve of that?

hog_fan

Quote from: Frank and Swine on February 28, 2007, 06:04:20 pm

Let's wait and read for ourselves what Gus thought about running the HUNH at UA last year.  He gave an interview to Dennis Dodd and supposedly this is one of the topics. Should be interesting one way or the other.

I don't think Gus wanted to run it full time but I do think he wanted to run it some to keep teams off guard like oh at the end of a half.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: hog_fan on February 28, 2007, 06:14:15 pm
Quote from: Frank and Swine on February 28, 2007, 06:04:20 pm

I don't think Gus wanted to run it full time but I do think he wanted to run it some to keep teams off guard like oh at the end of a half.

See, there you go making sense again.  Trying to pick a fight, right?  ;)

GorillaJMonsoon

Quote from: Razor-back on February 28, 2007, 04:07:58 pm
Even Cutcliffe knows it takes time (longer than one year) to put this system in place.

AT LEAST THEY ARE TRYING IT IN PRACTICE!!! WE NEVER DID!!!!

cosmodrum

Fellas fellas fellas...

We'll also be running the HUNH next year, I don't understand why people say we won't, especially with David Lee around.

Doesn't HUNH stand for:

Heads UP arse...Now Handoff!!
Go away, batin'

Stella

It won't work in games though - JFB

woodworth

Wow, 50 posts and only 1 person gets it. They have a senior quarterback who was one of the best in the country last year. There is NO WAY Cutcliffe or any other reasonable OC would have tried to run a HUNH with the 2 QBs we used for the majority of last year. And for those that believe Malzahn wanted to run HUNH "some" of the time, you haven't read his book, where he states it is an all or nothing deal. Either you run it all the time, or never.