Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Hill possibly go pro after this year?

Started by TuckFexas, January 27, 2007, 03:30:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TuckFexas

If he keeps playing at the same level he has been over the past few ball games, I'm wondering if he might. Seems as though the scouts are already impressed with him without an offensive game. I definitely like the new and improved Hill, just hope we have him for 4 years.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Hawgvillain

January 27, 2007, 03:37:41 pm #1 Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:40:34 pm by Hawgvillain
I can't see it happening...Unless it has changed there are only 2 rounds of NBA draft.

That means Hill has to be one of the 60 best draft eligible players just to get drafted. 

Not to mention, the guys who are drafted toward the end of the second round don't make that much and usually don't get that great of a shot. 

sihog

Quote from: TuckFexas on January 27, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
If he keeps playing at the same level he has been over the past few ball games, I'm wondering if he might. Seems as though the scouts are already impressed with him without an offensive game. I definitely like the new and improved Hill, just hope we have him for 4 years.
no way
GO HOGS GO

ammohog

I say NO WAY!  He doesn't have the offensive skills to play at the next level. 
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

TuckFexas

Quote from: ammohog on January 27, 2007, 03:39:08 pm

Fair enough, but people who know way more about basketball than I say he's NBA ready defensively alone.
Famous quote.

BigoBoys

Probably not.  A little short on offensive skills. 

Kevin

no, great off the ball shot blocker.  weak on the ball defender versus athletic bigs.  needs to work on defensive footwork.  alabama guys sliding around him when he wants to.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ammohog

Quote from: TuckFexas on January 27, 2007, 03:41:15 pm

Fair enough, but people who know way more about basketball than I say he's NBA ready defensively alone.
The NBA scouts are looking for the total package.  He might make it as a defensive role player, but his offensive skills will be his downfall.  Nevertheless, I'm glad to see him blocking shots for the HOGS!
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

hogfan33

No he believes education is important so he plans on graduating before starting a professional career

Cresthog

huntsducks

He is getting owned by Richard Hendricks in the second half.....
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 AM
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

RhodeHog

No.  You have to be able to score in the NBA.

Mr.Mabry

cosmodrum

If he does, not yet. He still has too much to prove. That being said, he is rapidly improving, at he looks like he's been hitting the gym. If can keep up this trend, I don't see why he couldn't go pro, but it's too early to tell. And the problem with that is, you typically know by a player's jr year whether or not he's pro material. Not always, but typically.
Go away, batin'

Bomis Hawg

Hill is a second round project now.  Might not change after another year.  But, Hill will be drafted.

I think he needs to work in the offseason with a seasoned big man to work on some skills.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Cresthog on January 27, 2007, 03:53:39 pm
NBA scouts love him.

You are 100% correct and will probaly be a 1st round pick.

L.A.

one double figure rebounding game in his career.......I think not!

Houston h

It's because of people like you that guys do go pro early!  Hill will play many years in the NBA because he is a 7 footer that can run the floor and block shots.  He needs to stay in school and work on an offensive game if he wants to improve his draft stock.

TRUHOG718

Doesent matter. neither does ben wallace. According to the experts at ESPN he will be playing in the NBA. I cant argue with that because im not an expert so i will take their word for it. WPS
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

booogaga

i hope not. i bet he will stay one more year to work on his offensive game a little. hell aparantly he had offers for the nba before he got to arkansas because of his size and potential. so i dont see why waiting one more year could hurt. if anything it could only help his status in the draft. the nba is always looking for big men
GO HOGS!

Newhopehog

How many NBA championships did Chicago win without a scoring center...was it 6....everything I have read says the NBA scout love him, offense or not...   

L.A.

I think we are all missing the point here.  Yes Steven does have potential and yes he lacks a consistent offensive game.  He is a great shot blocker, but that is all he is and that's why he has long way to go before he is ready for the NBA.  The guy is usually the tallest player on the floor and is a horrible rebounder (although he had 16 today).  He needs to get stronger so he can hold his ground when competing for boards against the bigs of the NBA.  Can y'all imagine him going against the likes of Duncan, Garnett, Howard, Stoudemire, ect.  It wouldn't be pretty.  All that said he will play in the NBA but no way next year.

Razorhogs

I don't think so...  If he stays another year he might be a top 10 pick.

Calling All Hogs

January 27, 2007, 05:31:10 pm #25 Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 05:33:23 pm by CallMeHog
NBA drafts on potential, he might go in the 1st round. But currently shooting 36 Percent at the free throw line I mean...damn. He needs to stay in college.

HoopS

I'm sure that you made some good points and maybe some others did as well, but all I did was read the heading and my answer is 100% NO.

yraciv

He is not ready to play offense in the NBA.  Yes he is ready with his defense, but the kid can't shoot yet.  That being said he is improving and could be ready after another year.

hog caller

i hope he stays one more year and hones his offensive skills a little more.

tannerspapa

I don't think you guys really understand the NBA draft if you think Steven wouldn't be a high draft pick if he went out now. You CANT COACH 7' with athleticism, they will work with him on his game no problem, for them.

It is to his benefit to stay one more year. He is starting to get all the pieces together. Showing a flash here and there. If he comes back one more year (which i tihnk he will, JMO) and shows some consistency in the weak areas of his game, scoring and rebounding, he could concievably be a lottery pick. I mean the GUY is seven foot, plays defense with passion and will run the floor, what is there not to like about him.

BTW, he is a huge difference maker on this team.

HoopS

If he goes out now, he could potentially go in the first round, though I doubt it.  He is raw offensively.   If he goes in the 2nd round, the money will be drastically less.   If he stays and develops more than dunking abilty, he could go real high.  If he could go in the lottery, he is set for life.  I want him to make a great life for himself.  If I were his coach, I'd tell him that he could improve his stock by working on his offense.  I would also luck into an insurance policy for him.

hillhog

I am afraid his improved play, really putting it out the last few games, is an effort by him to get his stock up in the scouts eyes, and I am sure it has. No he is not productive offensively, but has shown he does have some good moves when he wants to use them. It will not surprise me to see him go after this year. But sincerely hope he does not, returns next year and makes himself a lot more money.

dhornjr1

Steven Hill would be making a HUGE mistake if he turned pro this year.

primetime21

ChrisD

Where will he develop an offense better...UA or the NBA where they pay you to learn and expect you to be there everyday working on it?

NuttinItUp

jchill

Quote from: ammohog on January 27, 2007, 03:50:10 pm
Quote from: TuckFexas on January 27, 2007, 03:41:15 pm

The NBA scouts are looking for the total package.  He might make it as a defensive role player, but his offensive skills will be his downfall.  Nevertheless, I'm glad to see him blocking shots for the HOGS!

Was Andrew Lang an offensive force in the NBA? I think he made his living playing defense.

HawgWyld

Who knows what will happen? But, there is a great argument that Hill needs to stay in college another year, continue to improve, then increase his chances of earning the big bucks.

Of course, that argument never seems to work with players who are convinced they can make some serious money in the NBA.

pokeydaman

all I want to know is, who lit the fire under Steven Hill? Obviously Stan couldnt do it in two years, you gotta think logically that the new assistant Cyprien has had some input. But whoever did it, THANK YOU!! now just figure out how to do it to the rest of the players on a consistent basis!!

NuttinItUp

He definitely has the ability, but I sure hope he stays...

SuthrnFballer15

Quote from: Cresthog on January 27, 2007, 03:53:39 pm
NBA scouts love him.

Yes this is true, but theyd love em even more if he could shoot, not that im saying he can't play but he can't hit much beyond or around the free throw....
"If you're attitude is 'I was good yesterday,' you can't do that at Arkansas. Whoever your opponent is, it's a big game. Everything is up for grabs." - Coach Pelphrey

"I'm not really good at being a shifty kind of guy who likes to make moves -- I like to be a straight-line guy and run over somebody if I can."
-Peyton Hillis

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

EastMemphisHog

January 27, 2007, 11:17:20 pm #41 Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 11:19:44 pm by cshivley1

you must be joking.

He gets 95% of his points from dunks, which would rapidly decrease in the NBA and he still gets pushed around too much.

That being said, he has improved a ton in his ability to move without the ball, and his aggresiveness. Pleasant surprise. I wish him the best this season, and next season because he would be stupid to try to jump up.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: CallMeHog on January 27, 2007, 05:31:10 pm
NBA drafts on potential, he might go in the 1st round. But currently shooting 36 Percent at the free throw line I mean...damn. He needs to stay in college.

On the nose, sir! He's got to raise his FT percentage (and trips to the stripe in general.) Defense and hustle are there, offense will come next year, especially if we can develop a bonafide outside threat.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

NuttinItUp

jamie72921

Quote from: hogfan33 on January 27, 2007, 03:53:20 pm
No he believes education is important so he plans on graduating before starting a professional career

This reasoning is beyond dumb. I don't think its the case here.

Passing on millions of dollars for a degree now doesn't make sense when you realize that even if your carreer only lasted 3 seasons you would have more than enough money to allow you to return to school and finish your degree.

The point of an education is to teach you how to think. The time cost of money alone in a situation like that is enormous. Not sound reasoning at all.
Bless your heart

hogsmaster

Borderline 1st round.  I say he comes back.

TuckFexas

Quote from: cshivley1 on January 27, 2007, 11:17:20 pm

you must be joking.

He gets 95% of his points from dunks, which would rapidly decrease in the NBA and he still gets pushed around too much.

That being said, he has improved a ton in his ability to move without the ball, and his aggresiveness. Pleasant surprise. I wish him the best this season, and next season because he would be stupid to try to jump up.

No, I wasn't joking.
Famous quote.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: TuckFexas on January 28, 2007, 12:51:57 am
Quote from: cshivley1 on January 27, 2007, 11:17:20 pm

you must be joking.

No, I wasn't joking.

Glad we got that cleared up. Still sounds like a joke to me though.

Quote from: hogsmaster on January 28, 2007, 12:40:16 am
Borderline 1st round.  I say he comes back.

Hill is not a borderline first rounder, or second rounder for that matter. He would not get drafted. Olu Famutimi ring any bells? Scotty Thurman anyone? There are alot of youngsters that will jump out this year (Oden, Durant, Thaddeus Young etc..), not to mention that at least 3 of the Florida's starting 5 will be 1st rounders. There are also tons of internationals that will be drafted too(Yi Jianlian, Marco Belinelli, Rudy Fernandez etc..).
Don't take offense, but to call Hill a borderline 1st rounder is nonsense.

neahogfan

Hill has very little touch on his shot, but his defense is very good.  Coming into the Bama game he was averaging less than 5 boards per game.  He would benefit greatly from another year playing in the SEC.  With all that said a lot of teams draft on potential instead of instant impact.  If he could get around 10pts. and 7 boards next with his D he could be a 1st round lock.

malzhanista

Quote from: ChrisD on January 27, 2007, 09:31:18 pm
Where will he develop an offense better...UA or the NBA where they pay you to learn and expect you to be there everyday working on it?

Good point.