Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you could take on player of that great 94 basketball team....

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, January 22, 2007, 06:10:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nap

I'd take any of them, honestly.  But if I could one take one, it'd be Scotty Thurman.  I miss his effortless three pointers.
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Nap on January 30, 2007, 01:30:38 pm
I'd take any of them, honestly.  But if I could one take one, it'd be Scotty Thurman.  I miss his effortless three pointers.

No doubt. 

He made three point shots look like free throws. Ridiculous how deep he would shoot it.

Bomis Hawg

Scotty Thurman was, at least of the Razorback games I saw personally, was the most clutch shooter.  He won games for Arkansas most thought would not happen.

With that said, Beck just adds something to the point that most don't have.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on January 30, 2007, 01:50:45 pm
Scotty Thurman was, at least of the Razorback games I saw personally, was the most clutch shooter.  He won games for Arkansas most thought would not happen.

With that said, Beck just adds something to the point that most don't have.

Exactly
the guy could handle it and dish it like no other.

Also led the team in rebounds as a frikin point guard.

100% winner when he was in college.

MCPeePants

I wouldn't really take him over Thurman or Corliss or a few others but he was one of my favorite players we've had (and the current team could definitely use someone like him).

Many people may not know that Rimac was also a phenomenal tennis player. I had to play doubles against him in high school when he played for Fayetteville HS and he was one of the top 2 or 3 high school tennis players in the entire state, although I'm not sure that ever he played competitively for the UA Tennis team (although he could have).

GolfHawg

Quote from: KinkosHog on January 22, 2007, 07:20:30 pm
I would go with Corliss Williamson, the best college ball player that we have ever had.

Better than Sidney Moncrief ??

BirminghamBill

Between Beck & Beverly I don't think we'd have so much trouble pushing down the court when stuck with the full court press.  Less turnovers under pressure would make us hard to defend.

cosmodrum

Picking Corliss is too obvious, so I'll go with my 2nd favorite from that team...Alex Dillard.
Go away, batin'

BumpieJohnson

davehog

Umm, Beck??  I really liked Beck, but he would not have been the 3rd choice on that team.  No way, no how do you not pick Corliss first.  The BIGGEST problem with the current Hog basketball team is not having a consistent low post scorer.  For some bleeping reason, Townes has not developed in to that and Hill just doesn't have it in him nor does Thomas.  Having a consistent low post threat would open EVERYTHING up for this team.  Teams would be forced to double team Corliss and then it would allow for more open jumpers and driving lanes for Beverly, Ervin, and Weems.  Teams that did not double Corliss would just simply get beat by us pounding the ball in to him.  On offense Hill would just set picks and rebound (think Lee Wilson with a brain).  Beverly would average 20+/game, with Weems not too far behind him.  Ervin would be the SEC's leading assist man.   

BirminghamBill

I agree it would be nice to work inside with Corliss, especially with the possibility of going inside-out to Beverly.  I'm torn though.  I think once Tubby gets an entire week to review film and decides to press the steam out of us a lot of others will begin to follow suit.  That's why I chose Beck in the end.  If we can't get the ball down the court to set-up Corliss it doesn't do much good, imo.

BumpieJohnson

If Corlis was on this team Beverly would be an even better player the way he shots the ball from the outside OMG what a combo that would be. And Weems slashing to the hole. How could u not take the Big Nasty.

_Collin1

Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 30, 2007, 02:31:47 pm
The Big Nasty vs The Big Baby  what a match up

Not really.  Big baby is a fluke this year.  Corliss was never a fluke.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

BumpieJohnson

Quote from: BigC51 on January 30, 2007, 02:46:10 pm

no Big Baby his no help like he did last year

_Collin1

Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

Pigskin_Porker

"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

Bomis Hawg

Look at what Big Baby did against Arkansas.  He went 6/16.  I don't recall Corliss being shut down like that. 

erniehog

Corliss would make the biggest impact as an inside scorer.  He is much better around the basket than anyone we have. 

Although I would like to reserve the right to use Scotty anytime Beverly and Weems is cold or we need one shot to win a national championship.

I would also like to reserve the right to use Beck when Ervin goes into a turnover meltdown.

LSPRazorbac

Scottie Thurman--1st choice
Corlis Williamson--2nd choice
Alex Dillard--3rd choice

FROM THE HOGS SNOUT/TAIL
I ALWAYS LOVED THAT

EastexHawg

nm

EastexHawg

I would pick the best player in the nation that year, a guy who could score and rebound, who was a strong inside presence with incredibly soft hands, and who was clutch at the free throw line when it counted...

Corliss Williamson.

EastexHawg

nm.

There is obviously a gremlin at work here.

spudhog

Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 30, 2007, 02:54:14 pm
Quote from: BigC51 on January 30, 2007, 02:46:10 pm

no Big Baby his no help like he did last year
glenn davis is a fine player. his nickname is stupid so i refuse to call him that. he is still not if great shape. he has poor guards and no inside help. corliss would run laps around around davis and could show him a thing or two about running the floor. glenn has a decent shot and some nice moves. he is short and can't really get off the ground that well. things aren't as easy without a top 10 pick helping you out. he should not be called a bad player, i don't like him but he is a fine player.

clifflee4mvp

Corliss is still doing it big at the highest level. What are Thurman, Beck and Dillard doing?
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on January 30, 2007, 03:01:49 pm
Look at what Big Baby did against Arkansas.  He went 6/16.  I don't recall Corliss being shut down like that. 

The big George Zidek fouled the crap out of him every time he got the ball and hardly ever got called for it in the championship game.
He didnt have a very good game at all in the 95 title game.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 30, 2007, 04:18:13 pm
The big George Zidek fouled the crap out of him every time he got the ball and hardly ever got called for it in the championship game.

You're right.  They did clamp down on Corliss.  At least that was against the #1 team, though.  Corliss did take the match-up between himself and Sheed in the final four game.

throwtheball

No doubt the best player on that team was Big Nasty.  However, the question as i understand it is which one player on that team would help this years team the most.  That is why I'd have to go with Beck.  The most glarring need we have this year is ball handling and turn overs

HeathWimp

11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

ThunderHog

I would take Corliss simply because Heath would absolutely ruin a player like Beck.  Corey played in a system which allowed him to run the offense and make decisions based on his instincts.  Heath would try to overcoach him.  Having said that, Arkansas does not win the NC without Corey Beck.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on January 30, 2007, 04:27:20 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 30, 2007, 04:18:13 pm

You're right.  They did clamp down on Corliss.  At least that was against the #1 team, though.  Corliss did take the match-up between himself and Sheed in the final four game.

WIll never forget that move Nasty pulled off against Sheed in the national semifinal.

I have hated George Zidek and Toby Baily ever since that night they beat us. I bet they didnt call but one foul on Zidek.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 30, 2007, 04:58:24 pm
WIll never forget that move Nasty pulled off against Sheed in the national semifinal.

I have hated George Zidek and Toby Baily ever since that night they beat us. I bet they didnt call but one foul on Zidek.

Hatred for Toby Bailey ranks up there with Joahkim Noah.  Chris Porter.  Scott Pohlman.  Mario Austin.  Glen Davis.  Ronnie McMahan.  Antonio McDyess.

HogFanInTulsa

I got chills when you asked this question because I would take any of the starting 5. If you look back on them and look at their character they all played like a team and played hard and never gave up. I still remember after Corliss got signed in the NBA he did some autograph session at a mall in Little Rock (I was only 9 at them time) but he was very nice and had a huge smile on his face when he signed my jersey of him. I wish I could get my hands on the 1994 championship game. Even though I was 8 or 9 when it happened I still remember everything about that game and want to rewatch it.

Fayetnam

Corey was definately stree tough, but I'd take Corlis! He'd witch slap Darian Townes for being such a wuss! That team had heart huh! We'd all hit happy hour about 4:30, and discuss the upcoming show! And yes it was a show! Next victim was what it was! Man, wish those days would return, but not likely under the current coach! He is a good guy though, but they are not in shape and could not run with the '94 gang!

bigdaddy7

Clint McDaniel hands down...every run that we had during that season usually fed off of CM.

TomasPistola

For my money? It's Beck. Not only do you get a true PG that can distribute the ball. But you get the one thing that with the exception of Beverly this team really lacks -- HEART.

Corey Beck was the heart and soul of that team in 94.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

aloha_kid

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 22, 2007, 06:10:15 pm
and put it on the current team, who would it be?

My obvious choice is Corey freaking Beck. That kid was 100% winner in every aspect of his game. He could take over a game and not even score 5 points.

A great leader and didnt turn the ball over. He was the second leading rebounder on the team as a PG!!! That's insane!

Beck woudl be a great fit with this team. He could get the ball to Townes, Hill, and Thomas very easily.

Not raggin on Ervin but he does get wild at times and still makes crucial mistakes. He has really helped the team out but i cant remember a PG as tough and gritty as Corey Beck.

(just something to get away from football depression)

Darnell Robinson... HAHAHA ... I really liked Clint McDaniel (not as much as big ole Dwight nailing threes as a center).  Beck was tough as nails and a great college point guard but Clint was so fast on his feet as well as tenacious defense.