Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stan now 5-34 in SEC Road games

Started by harmonyhog, January 13, 2007, 06:57:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

harmonyhog

Will this team win any road games this year?  I say probabaly not, and will stick with my 6-10 conference prediction.

Dugann

dose anyone else have a problem with that number ?????????? anyone?????
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

bricklayer

How can you continue to keep your job after going 5 - 34 on the road in your conference.  We were looking so good against Bama and Florida then have to go back to the road pansies we've always been under Heath.  I don't understand how you can NOT be ready to play against Ole Miss at Ole Miss.  Terrible, Terrible effort today.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: harmonyhog on January 13, 2007, 06:57:40 pm
Will this team win any road games this year?  I say probabaly not, and will stick with my 6-10 conference prediction.

thats okay

People started saying that right before we beat #10 Tennessee on the road and spanked Georgia on the road.

We'll be back.

rude1

I think that says it all. Five years into the Heath regime and we are still getting slapped around when we visit Ole Miss. Guess who supplied them with their only conference win last year? This is getting old quickly for me. Five years at a nationally recognized program is plenty long enough to have that program back on the map of college basketball. Yet five years later we still haven't sniffed the polls under this guy, and we just took our usual slide backwards anytime it appears we are a couple of wins away from perhaps sneaking into one. I say its NCAA or bust for this guy, if he cant put together back to back tourney teams after five years, its time he is shown the door....

Inigo Montoya

I'm to sad to even post anything negative

just sad

stronguard

Consistency begins with leadership.  We don't have it.  We need a coach who can win a few games SOLELY on his ability to X and O. Its not STANLEY. STANLEY must go.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

HawgG

People are like Heath inherited the '94 National Championship team.

Do anybody remember Heath's first three teams and how bad they were.Think about this,those teams had a hard time winning at home so how in the world can anybody imagine that those teams would be able to win on the road.

Last season's team was great at home and they went a very respectable 3-5 on the road.A 3-5 road record this year would mean that they are the SEC WEST CHAMPS.

By the way look up Nolan's road record in his first 20 away from Barnhill Arena.I believe that was only 4 or 5 wins while playing in the weak SWC.

diehardrbackfan

January 13, 2007, 09:39:07 pm #8 Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:50:03 am by diehardrbackfan

Inigo Montoya

Quote from: diehardrbackfan on January 13, 2007, 09:39:07 pm
Quote from: HawgG on January 13, 2007, 09:33:38 pm

Do anybody remember Heath's first three teams and how bad they were.Think about this,those teams had a hard time winning at home so how in the world can anybody imagine that those teams would be able to win on the road.

Last season's team was great at home and they went a very respectable 3-5 on the road.A 3-5 road record this year would mean that they are the SEC WEST CHAMPS.

By the way look up Nolan's road record in his first 20 away from Barnhill Arena.I believe that was only 4 or 5 wins while playing in the weak SWC.

I'm glad someone else realizes alot of those losses werent Heath's fault.  Heck, John Wooden wouldnt have won any SEC road games with those guys Heath inherited from Nolan.

I guess we shouldn't blame anyone right?

I'm not saying it's Heath's fault but when you watche games like today's Hogs game and even Tennesse losing right at the end  you can't help but notice something obviously in common.  The big players in the game like the Dukes and the Floridas find a way to win.. We do not do that.  What is the problem?  I don't know anymore. Heath is passionate about winning form what I see now but it just is not enough apparently.  I thought we were further along than this by now.  Scre reffing or bad luck.  We just don't have what it takes to win big games period.  sSo whos to blame the players?  If the players who recruited them?  WTH is up with Erivn blowing it 2 times in a row and Heath continuing to go to the guy in cru nch times.  When is he going to learn he's not the guy to get it done.  Do we have anyone to get it done?  SHIITE I hate losing and I'm tired of excuses.  Somebody is not getting the job done so you guys tell me why we lost and will lose many more this season.  Are we just doomed?  Why did Ole Miss beat us today.  A program that is at the bottom of the SEC/ WHYYYY????!!!!

rude1

Do anybody remember Heath's first three teams and how bad they were.Think about this,those teams had a hard time winning at home so how in the world can anybody imagine that those teams would be able to win on the road.

I'm glad someone else realizes alot of those losses werent Heath's fault.  Heck, John Wooden wouldnt have won any SEC road games with those guys Heath inherited from Nolan.

Do anybody remember Heath's first three teams and how bad they were.Think about this,those teams had a hard time winning at home so how in the world can anybody imagine that those teams would be able to win on the road.

How long are you guys going to keep hiding this guys inability to build a program behind Nolan? There are ZERO Nolan players on this team. The "Nolan left the cupboard bare", doesn't fly any more. Every player on this team has been recruited and signed by Heath, so HE is responsible for their inability to get this program back to a nationally ranked status. For the record, Nolan already had us in a final 4 in his fifth season since you want to compare this midmajor guy to Nolan...

diehardrbackfan

January 13, 2007, 09:58:05 pm #11 Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 07:10:00 pm by diehardrbackfan

diehardrbackfan

January 13, 2007, 10:02:30 pm #12 Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 07:09:43 pm by diehardrbackfan

Inigo Montoya

Quote from: diehardrbackfan on January 13, 2007, 10:02:30 pm
Quote from: Inigo Montoya on January 13, 2007, 09:55:13 pm

I guess we shouldn't blame anyone right?

I'm not saying it's Heath's fault but when you watche games like today's Hogs game and even Tennesse losing right at the end  you can't help but notice something obviously in common.  The big players in the game like the Dukes and the Floridas find a way to win.. We do not do that.  What is the problem?  I don't know anymore. Heath is passionate about winning form what I see now but it just is not enough apparently.  I thought we were further along than this by now.  Scre reffing or bad luck.  We just don't have what it takes to win big games period.  sSo whos to blame the players?  If the players who recruited them?  WTH is up with Erivn blowing it 2 times in a row and Heath continuing to go to the guy in cru nch times.  When is he going to learn he's not the guy to get it done.  Do we have anyone to get it done?  SHIITE I hate losing and I'm tired of excuses.  Somebody is not getting the job done so you guys tell me why we lost and will lose many more this season.  Are we just doomed?  Why did Ole Miss beat us today.  A program that is at the bottom of the SEC/ WHYYYY????!!!!

I dont think Heath is designing plays in order to have the ball in Ervin hands for the final shot.  He just happens to be the point guard which means he generally brings the ball up the court and he isnt giving it up when he should.  I like that the guy is trying to make things happen, but you cant expect to get fouls called when you jump into the defenders when the game is on the line.

That was more accurate than my drunkin analysis.  right on

You probably want Nutt fired though and he is the SEC West champ. Nutt took over a team in shambles and IMMEDIATELY had a good year. Heath is not the answer, and never will be.

Fatty McGee

Nutt had multiple NFL players on the team he inherited.  Heath's first team couldn't have won the old AIC.

Bad comparison.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

HawgG

Quote from: rude1 on January 13, 2007, 09:55:15 pm
Quote from: How long are you guys going to keep hiding this guys inability to build a program behind Nolan? There are ZERO Nolan players on this team. The "Nolan left the cupboard bare", doesn't fly any more. Every player on this team has been recruited and signed by Heath, so HE is responsible for their inability to get this program back to a nationally ranked status. For the record, Nolan already had us in a final 4 in his fifth season since you want to compare this midmajor guy to Nolan...
First off the rebuilding stage was completed last year when they got to the NCAAT for the first time in 5 seasons.Any AD and/or Head Coach (former or current) will tell you that.

Secondly as for as Heath not having the ability to get the program back to national ranked status, don't you think that maybe we should see where this team is at it's conclusion.I would whether be ranked at the end of the season.Should this team make it to the NCAAT and win a game or not. they will be ranked heading into the 2007-2008 season with everybody back plus a couple more bodies.

Nobody can compare a Head Coach in his 6th season(5th at Ark) to a future Hall of Famer who coached well over 20years.
Now if you want we can have this same conversation in the year 2027.

dmcneil

Quote from: HawgG on January 13, 2007, 10:21:07 pm
Quote from: rude1 on January 13, 2007, 09:55:15 pm
Quote from: How long are you guys going to keep hiding this guys inability to build a program behind Nolan? There are ZERO Nolan players on this team. The "Nolan left the cupboard bare", doesn't fly any more. Every player on this team has been recruited and signed by Heath, so HE is responsible for their inability to get this program back to a nationally ranked status. For the record, Nolan already had us in a final 4 in his fifth season since you want to compare this midmajor guy to Nolan...
First off the rebuilding stage was completed last year when they got to the NCAAT for the first time in 5 seasons.Any AD and/or Head Coach (former or current) will tell you that.

Secondly as for as Heath not having the ability to get the program back to national ranked status, don't you think that maybe we should see where this team is at it's conclusion.I would whether be ranked at the end of the season.Should this team make it to the NCAAT and win a game or not. they will be ranked heading into the 2007-2008 season with everybody back plus a couple more bodies.

Nobody can compare a Head Coach in his 6th season(5th at Ark) to a future Hall of Famer who coached well over 20years.
Now if you want we can have this same conversation in the year 2027.

Oh joy...we are now a program that is a good place for a coach to get experience...

HawgG

Quote from: dmcneilOh joy...we are now a program that is a good place for a coach to get experience...

Well do you want Dan Hipsher to be the head coach? He has experience and he is old.

dmcneil

Quote from: HawgG on January 13, 2007, 10:31:09 pm
Quote from: dmcneilOh joy...we are now a program that is a good place for a coach to get experience...

Well do you want Dan Hipsher to be the head coach? He has experience and he is old.

No, but I wouldn't have minded having Bill Self when we had a chance to get him...I guess hindsight is always 20/20

Wolfhound05

I thought Heath had 7 SEC road wins?

Tejano Jawg

Man, that's ugly. Today Stan needed to chip away at that record...not add to it.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

NuttinItUp

That is a pretty bad record. I would like to see the other SEC coaches' away records as well.

jamie72921

By the way, you have just pointed out how weak the program was when Nolan got here.

The exact same circumstances.

Nolan got his first final four in his 5th season. His third straight trip to the NCAA's.

How does Heath compare?

5 years is more than enough in college basketball where true frosh like Beverly can come in and make imediate impacts.

If Nolan sucks, as you keep trying to say, how come he could turn the same program around with less tradition and facilities playing in a non power conference and Heath hasn't.

The tradition, facilities, and yes, even the power conference should make it EASIER to do.
Bless your heart

diehardrbackfan

January 13, 2007, 11:42:36 pm #24 Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 07:09:09 pm by diehardrbackfan

Fatty McGee

Nolan inherited two NBA players.  Let's not forget that.  The comparisons between coaches are inept all around.  There faults and merits stand on their own.

jamie72921

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 13, 2007, 11:43:22 pm
Nolan inherited two NBA players.  Let's not forget that.  The comparisons between coaches are inept all around.  There faults and merits stand on their own.

He did?

Lang is the only one I remember. Perhaps you were thinking Scott Rose, Allie Freeman, Kevin Rehl, Mike Ratliffe, Mike Cooper, or Stephon Moore were drafted?

Don't count William Mills, he was suspended nearly all season for drug abuse and released 9 games into the next season for it.

Lang couldn't do anything but dunk his first 2 seasons here. He couldn't even shoot his baby hook until his senior year. Not much help I am afraid.
Bless your heart

Niels Boar

And a major drug problem.

The whole "the cupboard was bare thing" needs to be retired.  Bobby Cremins inherited a 4-23, 0-16 team at Ga Tech with no facilities and no tradition in BB.  He was playing in the ACC of the 80s.  We are talking Ralph Sampson, James Worthy, Micheal Jordan, Len Bias, Johnny Dawkins, etc.  He won the ACCT in four years.  Cremins, by his own admission, is not a brilliant Xs and Os coach, but he knew how to recruit a complete team.  He also tended to have an NBA caliber PG.  Heath needs to sink or swim.  He is responsible for whatever we have on the court now, good or bad.  Generations are more like two years instead of four in college BB.

Fatty McGee

Heath's first team didn't even have solid juco league talent in its starting 5.  Andrew Lang would have scored 30 every night on the big men Heath inherited. 

And you're forgetting Byron Irvin.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Niels Boar on January 14, 2007, 12:03:32 am

The whole "the cupboard was bare thing" needs to be retired.  Bobby Cremins inherited a 4-23, 0-16 team at Ga Tech with no facilities and no tradition in BB.  He was playing in the ACC of the 80s.  We are talking Ralph Sampson, James Worthy, Micheal Jordan, Len Bias, Johnny Dawkins, etc.  He won the ACCT in four years.  Cremins, by his own admission, is not a brilliant Xs and Os coach, but he knew how to recruit a complete team.  He also tended to have an NBA caliber PG.  Heath needs to sink or swim.  He is responsible for whatever we have on the court now, good or bad.  Generations are more like two years instead of four in college BB.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm simply saying comparing what Heath inherited to what Nolan inherited is not comparing apples to apples.

Oh, and in the early 80s, few went pro early.  Even Jordan put two years in.

tobs54

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2007, 12:06:37 am
Quote from: Niels Boar on January 14, 2007, 12:03:32 am

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm simply saying comparing what Heath inherited to what Nolan inherited is not comparing apples to apples.

Oh, and in the early 80s, few went pro early.  Even Jordan put two years in.

Great point, Fatty.  Nolan did have a lot more to work with.

Fatty McGee

Niels Boar

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2007, 12:05:26 am
Heath's first team didn't even have solid juco league talent in its starting 5.  Andrew Lang would have scored 30 every night on the big men Heath inherited. 

It was extremely deficient in offensive talent, but it was one of his better defensive squads.  It also played the toughest schedule of any Heath team to date.  He also dosen't get kudos for squeezing the last drop of talent out of that squad either.  Look at the contrast between Mukubu's Arkansas and UAB careers. http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11290

jamie72921

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2007, 12:05:26 am

No, I didn't forget Irvin. He transferred to Missouri and didn't play in the NBA. Maybe you forgot.

Daryl Scott was on the team also but blew his knee out. Kenny Hutchinson and Keith Wilson were ineligible academically because they were too strung out on cocaine to go to class. I, at least, haven't forgot.

The cupboard was just as bare as it was when Stan got here, minus any real tradition and top notch facilities, or power conference to play in.

Andrew Lang wasn't even a starter his freshman year under Eddie. I know he started in the NCAA tournament for a couple of games but that was it. Nolan developed Lang, shocking as that may be to some. He was a great athlete though, but had zero skills. He couldn't have scored 30 back then if you left him unguarded.

Bless your heart

msudawgs64

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 13, 2007, 11:05:35 pm
That is a pretty bad record. I would like to see the other SEC coaches' away records as well.

Stansbury is 20-47 in road SEC games in this his 9th season, just slightly better than Heath in terms of average road wins per year..   This includes years where we won the West and were overall regular season champions.  Hell we lost every SEC road game last year.  Tough to win on the road in the SEC.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

jamie72921

Quote from: tobs54 on January 14, 2007, 12:09:08 am

Great point, Fatty.  Nolan did have a lot more to work with.

Ridiculous!

Starting five in the SWC tournament Nolan's first season. Lang, Moore, Ratliffe, Freeman, and Scott Rose(walk on).

Only 3 Sutton recruits are even on the team at the end of the following season. Wow! what a fantastic talent pool.

Yeah, no comparison.
Bless your heart

Fatty McGee

Wrong again.  Irvin did play in the NBA.  Not long, but he was there.  Trailblazers and Bullets - 3 years total.  He also played one year for Nolan at Arkansas, the 85-86 season, and averaged 10 points.  Lang averaged 8 points and 7 rbs that year.  You should have gotten that one - just Google.

I guess you've forgotten just who was on Heath's first team.  That's OK, I really don't enjoy arguing the lack of talent in Arkansas teams. 

Fatty McGee

jamie72921

January 14, 2007, 12:27:32 am #38 Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 12:31:32 am by jamie72921
Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2007, 12:21:49 am
Wrong again.  Irvin did play in the NBA.  Not long, but he was there.  Trailblazers and Bullets - 3 years total.  He also played one year for Nolan at Arkansas, the 85-86 season, and averaged 10 points.  Lang averaged 8 points and 7 rbs that year.  You should have gotten that one - just Google.

I guess you've forgotten just who was on Heath's first team.  That's OK, I really don't enjoy arguing the lack of talent in Arkansas teams. 

So you are saying Irvin played a full season at Arkansas Nolan's first season? Because he didn't. He left the team before season's end.

Using your logic then, Nolan left more talent because Modica wasn't bad, Sullinger was still here, and Iguadola had already SIGNED binding him to the UA.

By the way Corey Beck, Derek Hood, and Clint Macdaniel played in the NBA too under temporary free agent contracts like Irvin and many others have. Wouldn't consider them NBA players though.

By the way, if you don't like arguing about the subject, why did you start this one?
Bless your heart

Fatty McGee

January 14, 2007, 12:32:54 am #39 Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 12:35:12 am by Fatty McGee
I'm saying he played for him and averaged 10 points a game.

Sullinger left before Stan's first team even hit the practice floor, and Igadoula was released from his LOI and never set foot on campus after Nolan left.

You don't have to consider them NBA players.  But if they played there, that's what they are.  I can't be held responsible for the tortured definitions you use to remain correct in your mind.  Under any definition though, Carl Baker, Dionisio, Satchell, Cleveland, Dean and the rest of the returnees never even sniffed the league.

RGP

Let's see, the five wins (Georgia, Ole Miss, Vandy, Auburn, and Tennessee) are against teams that during that year had a combined record of 74-73...the only one that was a good road win was Tennessee last year...face it, Heath sucks on the road...

jamie72921

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2007, 12:32:54 am
I'm saying he played for him and averaged 10 points a game.

Sullinger left before Stan's first team even hit the practice floor, and Igadoula was released from his LOI and never set foot on campus after Nolan left.

You don't have to consider them NBA players.  But if they played there, that's what they are.  I can't be held responsible for the tortured definitions you use to remain correct in your mind.

He left just Iguadola and Sullinger after they met the coach. Same as they did. He didn't play the full season and was a good offensive player but not that great on D. He did well transferring and was a very good player for Missouri, even beating the Hogs.

But to act like Eddie left plenty of talent even in comparison to what Nolan left is insane. I have been going to Razorback games and practices since 79 and to be honest the program was in just as much dissarray when Nolan came as it was when Heath came.

The only real differences being that there was a huge drug problem among Sutton's players and we had less tradition and smaller facilities.

Heath has had plenty of time to turn it around. Comparing him to both Sutton and Nolan is fair.

The thing that they both had that he has yet to show is an identity for their programs. Sutton was patient offensively and believed in pressure man to man and some fullcourt press.

We know about Nolan.

But what is Heath's MO? I can't tell that there is any specific identifier of a Heath coached team. We seem to play whatever style and pace as our opponent.
Bless your heart

lunchbox72703

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on January 13, 2007, 06:59:46 pm
1 or 2.  They'll probably play well against Georgia on Wednesday night.  I said 7-9 right before we played Alabama.  I may be off but I want to see what continues to happen.  Unless Stan really performs he will be no more than sideways even with a win against Georgia.  I'm too aggravated at them to really share my game thoughts.  

Oh Jeez, here we go again with the upside down heath.  That's it, I'm bringing out the old Heath slams fresh pics again LOL  ;)

stronguard

I agree with jaime.  STANLEY's teams have no identity.  We play to the level of our competion, be it good or bad.  It is the mark of a poorly coached team when they play to the level of their opponet. STANLEY must go.

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

HawgG

Quote from: stronguard on January 14, 2007, 05:51:26 pm
I agree with jaime.  STANLEY's teams have no identity.  We play to the level of our competion, be it good or bad.  It is the mark of a poorly coached team when they play to the level of their opponet. STANLEY must go.
My brother is a big Kansas Jayhawks fan and he says the samething about Billy.That his teams play up to the level of competition and down to the lesser teams.
  Kansas looks good against Florida and OSU, but loose to lowly ORU and Depaul.
  He said they should fire Billy and hire Coach K.

I'm the size of a Felix Jones but my brother is 6-4, 290 pounds so I was not going to argue with him in his state of mind.The guy is a little crazy.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 14, 2007, 12:42:17 am
He left just Iguadola and Sullinger after they met the coach.

How'd he score 10 points a game then?  Igoudala and Sullinger never scored a point for Arkansas under Heath.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2007, 06:58:49 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on January 14, 2007, 12:42:17 am
He left just Iguadola and Sullinger after they met the coach.

How'd he score 10 points a game then?  Igoudala and Sullinger never scored a point for Arkansas under Heath.

This is off-topic and I am sorry, but I just had to say it:  Fatty McGee, you're the fattest!   ;D
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Fatty McGee

stronguard

Quote from: HawgG on January 14, 2007, 06:16:02 pm
Quote from: stronguard on January 14, 2007, 05:51:26 pm
My brother is a big Kansas Jayhawks fan and he says the samething about Billy.That his teams play up to the level of competition and down to the lesser teams.
  Kansas looks good against Florida and OSU, but loose to lowly ORU and Depaul.
  He said they should fire Billy and hire Coach K.

I'm the size of a Felix Jones but my brother is 6-4, 290 pounds so I was not going to argue with him in his state of mind.The guy is a little crazy.

I've got your brother by 1 inch and 50 pounds.  I'm a little crazy, and I wouldn't argue either.  From what I have seen of Self his teams play best when they are undisciplined. 

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 13, 2007, 09:23:13 pm
Quote from: harmonyhog on January 13, 2007, 06:57:40 pm

thats okay

People started saying that right before we beat #10 Tennessee on the road and spanked Georgia on the road.

We'll be back.
Back where? You have to be somewhere to get back.