Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

THE BUZZ SHILLS Whiff of Racism

Started by SexyBeast77, December 21, 2006, 01:02:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SexyBeast77

For Me,
  Stan Heath and Houston Nutt are both terrible coaches, neither good enough for the SEC, and both should be fired. What bothers me, and I'm a white guy, is the media and in particular Al Jazerra North, THE BUZZ, continue to shill for Houston Nutt and Heath gets hammered again and again.  Let me quote myself in my email to the Buzz that states the stats:

Houston Nutt getting a contract extension is a freaking joke and here's why.
Nutt is 39-36 in the SEC in 9 years, barely above .500.  Nutt's overall record is 67-43 or 60.9%. winning percentage. The only reason he has a winning record at all is 3 powder puff games a year x 8 years for the 24 game margin.  this is I believe Houston's 3rd raise and extension. It's absolutely a joke to want to retain a coach that's .500 in conference  because of wins against directional schools. What a disgrace.  Defend this Rick Shaeffer Jr(Acri)

Stan Heath is 26-40 in conference, and 68-58 overall for a 54.0% winning percentage. Nutt's been there 9 years compared to Heath's 5 with a 60.9 to 54.0%  winning percenntage. It's just not right that Nutt is getting extensions and praise from his Shills and Heath is getting hammered for an overall record about as equally mediocre.  We have got to get radio people that don't work for ARSN that are free to tell the truth. Heath should sue their a*s like Nolan. They're bending over backwards for Nutt and he's only won more games because of his powder puffs. The more in trouble Nutt gets, the more powder puffs we're gonna get.

THE BUZZ IS A DISGRACE

combatengineerhogfan

The BUZZ has been a joke since RR started working there!!

HogDodging

I've been saying ever since Stan got hired that there is a double standard at work.
The media, for the large part, fail to criticize Nutt.  Yet, they hammer Heath at every opportunity.
I'm beginning to believe Nolan was right.

Golfer

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on December 21, 2006, 01:02:48 pm
For Me,
  Stan Heath and Houston Nutt are both terrible coaches, neither good enough for the SEC, and both should be fired. What bothers me, and I'm a white guy, is the media and in particular Al Jazerra North, THE BUZZ, continue to shill for Houston Nutt and Heath gets hammered again and again.  Let me quote myself in my email to the Buzz that states the stats:

Nutt is 39-36 in the SEC in 9 years, barely above .500.  Nutt's overall record is 67-43 or 60.9%. winning percentage. The only reason he has a winning record at all is 3 powder puff games a year x 8 years for the 24 game margin.  this is I believe Houston's 3rd raise and extension. It's absolutely a joke to want to retain a coach that's .500 in conference  because of wins against directional schools. What a disgrace.  Defend this Rick Shaeffer Jr(Acri)

Stan Heath is 26-40 in conference, and 68-58 overall for a 54.0% winning percentage. Nutt's been there 9 years compared to Heath's 5 with a 60.9 to 54.0%  winning percenntage. It's just not right that Nutt is getting extensions and praise from his Shills and Heath is getting hammered for an overall record about as equally mediocre.  We have got to get radio people that don't work for ARSN that are free to tell the truth. Heath should sue their a*s like Nolan. They're bending over backwards for Nutt and he's only won more games because of his powder puffs. The more in trouble Nutt gets, the more powder puffs we're gonna get.

THE BUZZ IS A DISGRACE

Doesn't Coach Heath also play some powder puffs? I am a fan of Coach Heath, but at least be fair about the teams they play. Cream puffs are cream puffs whether in football or basketball.

hogfan064

December 21, 2006, 01:11:03 pm #4 Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 01:14:25 pm by hogfan064
For Me,

THE BUZZ IS A DISGRACE

-Houston Nutt's SEC and overall record are better

-Houston Nutt has won postseason games before

-Nutt has finished in the top 25 before

-Nutt has to compete with 8 other schools that have equal or more tradition, better facilities, and better fans than the Hogs.  Heath competes with 1-2 teams that have better facilities, fans, and more tradition

-Nutt has had another big name program ask him to be their coach, Heath hasn't

-Nutt has won COY honors, Heath never has

-Nutt has won a division title, Heath hasn't

demonHOG1013

Also, every year Stan has been there he has won more games than the year before....that is a sign of progress.  Nutt has shown progress followed by demise, then one good year.  Thats been his 9 years.

hogfan064

The only reason he has a winning record at all is 3 powder puff games a year x 8 years for the 24 game margin. 

Nutt is 5-4 against Auburn, 5-4 against Alabama, and 4-3 against the 2 coaching legends at USC.  He is also 2-1 against Texas.  All his wins haven't been against powder puffs

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 21, 2006, 01:11:03 pm
For Me,

THE BUZZ IS A DISGRACE

-Nutt has to compete with 8 other schools that have equal or more tradition, better facilities, and better fans than the Hogs.  Heath competes with 1-2 teams that have better facilities, fans, and more tradition

you forgot - nutt has been here 9 years, heath hasn't

hogfan064

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on December 21, 2006, 01:18:40 pm
For Me,

THE BUZZ IS A DISGRACE

After 5 years Nutt still had a better winning pct, a postseason win, a division title, finished in the top 25 and if I'm not mistaken had a COY honor. 

raiseherback

So you are saying that since we are making a mistake in one instance, it is OKAY to make another mistake?  Taking this kind of logic and trying to justify keeping Heath is what keeps Arkansas mediocre.  Neither of them are good and neither of them should be retained based on what happened to the other.
I am easily satisfied with the very best! 
- Winston Churchill

hogfan064

Oh and after 5 years Nutt had 5 postseason appearances and 0 losing seasons.  Heath at best will have 2 postseason appearances and 2 losing seasons. 

SexyBeast77

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 21, 2006, 01:18:03 pm
Thirdly, since when is having a lower winning percentage than another program at your school grounds for a lawsuit?  If that were the case, Crowe, Kines, and Ford should have all sued the UofA for wrongful termination because they had a lower winning percentage than Nolan. 

Finally, why didn't you compare to Heath to another coach?  What makes Dale the basis of comparison?  Why not Robert Cox?

I'm not defending Nutt but it's totally ridiculous to make this comparison or any comparison amongst different sports.

Hogfan, new concept time. As PragmaticPig pointed out Nutt's been there twice as long.
People as thick as Fresh Legs shouldn't be allowed to post on here, as they are not capable of arguing fair. Winning percentage is not the basis for law suit, blatent discrimination against a black coach and blatant favoritism and protection of the white coach is.  
 I compared to Houston because he is the White coach at the University who they are bending over backwards to keep and protect, which they will not do for the black basketball coach.
I agree with Deep Shoat, that I too am beginning to believe Nolan is right. Nolan lost in the last years, but he built our program up and he didn't get the support. Houston with a 39-36 conference record(yes hogfan he didn't beat all powder puffs, he did beat the bottom half of the SEC) gets 100 times the support Nolan got with no where near Nolan's record.

DEWURM

We will never have a high quality coach till Frank is gone period! He is so hung up on his prowess as a coach that he will run off anyone that threatens to overshadow his legacy.When Frank moves on there will be a strong growth in football and basketball because i think all we have now is "puppet coaches" so it won't change until he goes.Thank God he doen't think he knows track and field or he would have ran mcdonald off too!

oldbooniehog

I am not a Nutt fan.

Just search  my post history.

However, I have to admit that when you use the typical scales used to measure "success" for football and basketball coaches, HDN has had more of it than Heath has.

HDN has gone to bowl games.

Heath has gone to one NCAA tourney appearance.

HDN has won a couple of bowl games.

Heath is 0-for in the post-season.

Also, Heath hasn't even come close to sniffing any form of an SEC Divisional or overall championship.

Heath's teams have "gotten better" every year.

But for crying out loud, one season, I think the basketball team and the football team won the same number of games, unless I am mistaken.

Didn't both the football team and the basketball team win 9 games around 2003 or so?

Also, Nutt replaced Danny Ford. Football fans in Arkansas were getting used to 4-7 records and actually going to a bowl game was quite a thing when Nutt took over.

Heath replaced Nolan. And while Nolan's teams weren't anything like they were in his heyday, he was the coach who took Arkansas to three Final Fours and a National Championship.

And as for racism......uh, hasn't the head basketball coach at Arkansas been black for about 22 years in a row now?

Yep....definitely racism.....22 consecutive years of black head coaches in basketball is a definite sign of racism on The Hill.

oldbooniehog

SexyBeast77

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 21, 2006, 01:27:36 pm
Oh and after 5 years Nutt had 5 postseason appearances and 0 losing seasons.  Heath at best will have 2 postseason appearances and 2 losing seasons. 

You have such selective stats to support nutt, Nutt has only won 2 bowls, against Missouri and Texas, in meaningless bowls.  
Remember in the original post I said I believe both should be fired. My problem is the ridiuculous biased at all cost unconditional support Howard Dean Swaggert Nutt gets that Heath does not get.

hogfan064

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on December 21, 2006, 01:35:44 pm

You have such selective stats to support nutt, Nutt has only won 2 bowls, against Missouri and Texas, in meaningless bowls.  
Remember in the original post I said I believe both should be fired. My problem is the ridiuculous biased at all cost unconditional support Howard Dean Swaggert Nutt gets that Heath does not get.

I said he had 5 appearances, not 5 wins.  Read my post and quit assuming things. 

pigture perfect

Now prove again where racism fits in this argument. Well, it doesn't. You didn't prove that Houston got a raise because he's White and Stan didn't because he's black. Try looking in the stands at ball games. Even with the turmoil that accompanies Houston, he still has fannies in the seats. It seams that almost by the game there are fewer in the Bud. Sorry, it ain't racism.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HogSophist

Lets not forget that Heath turned down a post-season appearance. I sure wish had done the same instead of that embarrassing debacle against Minnesota....

random thought
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 21, 2006, 01:21:44 pm
For Me,

THE BUZZ IS A DISGRACE

It's not about comparing the two.  What basis do you have for comparing Heath to Nutt versus Heath to Robert Cox?  Why don't you compare them both to John McDonnell?  Why wouldn't that be just as reasonable? 

This whole idea brought about by our fanbase is ridiculous and the sole reason none of you should even be qualified to be the janitor in the AD's office.

I agree with your take comparing the 2 sports to apples and oranges

I was just throwing that out there to keep it real, that's all.

Hogfan64 did a good job refuting

FWIW, I don't believe race to be a significant factor in why SH is slighted so much more than the nuttser by the local media

hogfan064

Quote from: HogSophist on December 21, 2006, 01:48:07 pm
Lets not forget that Heath turned down a post-season appearance. I sure wish had done the same instead of that embarrassing debacle against Minnesota....

random thought

Even if he turned down the postseason appearance he's still behind Nutt in his first 5 years. 

This thread should be in the trash.  Racism has nothing to do with any of this.  SexyBeast sounds like Jessie Jackson.

mbgrulz

if stan is a white guy, he never gets a look from arkansas. the way nolan accused us of being racist, we had no choice but to make race a HUGE factor in deciding who our next coach was. \

last i checked, houston has had us in national championship conversations in his tenure, heath has had us biting our nails to see if we were one of the top 64 teams. heath hasnt even won the western division yet.

Michael Porkleone

The cotton bowl is NOT a meaningless bowl game. 

That is like saying winning a sweet 16 game is meaningless.

I agree...trash this - there isn't racisim here.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on December 21, 2006, 01:29:52 pm
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 21, 2006, 01:18:03 pm
Thirdly, since when is having a lower winning percentage than another program at your school grounds for a lawsuit?  If that were the case, Crowe, Kines, and Ford should have all sued the UofA for wrongful termination because they had a lower winning percentage than Nolan. 

Finally, why didn't you compare to Heath to another coach?  What makes Dale the basis of comparison?  Why not Robert Cox?

I'm not defending Nutt but it's totally ridiculous to make this comparison or any comparison amongst different sports.

Hogfan, new concept time. As PragmaticPig pointed out Nutt's been there twice as long.
People as thick as Fresh Legs shouldn't be allowed to post on here, as they are not capable of arguing fair. Winning percentage is not the basis for law suit, blatent discrimination against a black coach and blatant favoritism and protection of the white coach is. 
  I compared to Houston because he is the White coach at the University who they are bending over backwards to keep and protect, which they will not do for the black basketball coach.
I agree with Deep Shoat, that I too am beginning to believe Nolan is right. Nolan lost in the last years, but he built our program up and he didn't get the support. Houston with a 39-36 conference record(yes hogfan he didn't beat all powder puffs, he did beat the bottom half of the SEC) gets 100 times the support Nolan got with no where near Nolan's record.

perhaps there are other factors that you are either overlooking or intentionally avoiding which create the perception that Stan is treated differently by the media other than race

Such as: nutt is homegrown and his family is well established in arkansas, expecations due to the NC won by the hoop hogs even though it was over a decade ago, people still generally don't give proper due to the absolute talentless pit that Stan started with.........among other possibilities

rude1

While I don't think Nutt is a championship caliber coach, the fact remains he just won the west, and was a probably some solid special teams play away from at least a BCS bid and possibly an outside shot at NC game bid. Makes no sense right now to be talking about firing the guy after he has had his best season in his 9years here. Who would want to run this program when its firing guys who just won 10games and was close to winning 12? Meanwhile Heath has accomplished absolutely nothing up to this point other than his only bid to the big dance last season that resulted in a quick exit at the hands of Bucknell. This season he has returned to his ways of losing all the meaningful games on his schedule, when he should have the program on the upswing after 5years and not back to the rebuilding process. With what I see going on right now our NCAA string will end at a 1 and this team will be looking at an NIT birth which is totally unacceptable.....

hogfan064

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on December 21, 2006, 01:53:27 pm
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 21, 2006, 01:21:44 pm
For Me,

THE BUZZ IS A DISGRACE

It's not about comparing the two.  What basis do you have for comparing Heath to Nutt versus Heath to Robert Cox?  Why don't you compare them both to John McDonnell?  Why wouldn't that be just as reasonable? 

This whole idea brought about by our fanbase is ridiculous and the sole reason none of you should even be qualified to be the janitor in the AD's office.

I agree with your take comparing the 2 sports to apples and oranges

I was just throwing that out there to keep it real, that's all.

Hogfan64 did a good job refuting

FWIW, I don't believe race to be a significant factor in why SH is slighted so much more than the nuttser by the local media

Comparing the 2 is apples and oranges.  Nutt has a harder job than Heath.  I don't know how often I have to say this, but I'll say it again.

Ask a group of sports experts where Arkansas ranks in SEC football tradition and most would put them behind UGA, UF, UF, LSU, AU, and UT.   Ask the same experts where they rank in basketball and that group would tell you only UK is higher than the Hogs

Look at the facilities the SEC has in football.  Only MSU, Ole Miss, and Vandy don't have better or equal facilities than the Hogs.  In basketball only UK, UT, and USC have better or equal facilities to the Hogs.

Look at the fans that the SEC has in football.  The Hogs rank in the bottom 4 in SEC attendance.  In basketball only UK has a larger fan following

In the SEC only Kentucky and Arkansas truly give a crap about basketball.  UF fans have taken an interest now, but noone else cares.  Heath is competing against 10 schools who really could careless about the sport.  In football all 12 SEC schools love the sport. Boosters, alumni, media, women, children, and politicians love football in the south. 

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 21, 2006, 01:47:35 pm
Now prove again where racism fits in this argument. Well, it doesn't. You didn't prove that Houston got a raise because he's White and Stan didn't because he's black. Try looking in the stands at ball games. Even with the turmoil that accompanies Houston, he still has fannies in the seats. It seams that almost by the game there are fewer in the Bud. Sorry, it ain't racism.
Then it must be racism on the part of the entire fanbase.

hogfan064

Quote from: donewithdale on December 21, 2006, 02:06:35 pm
Quote from: oldbooniehog on December 21, 2006, 01:35:14 pm
I am not a Nutt fan.

Just search  my post history.

However, I have to admit that when you use the typical scales used to measure "success" for football and basketball coaches, HDN has had more of it than Heath has.

HDN has gone to bowl games.

Heath has gone to one NCAA tourney appearance.

HDN has won a couple of bowl games.

Heath is 0-for in the post-season.

Also, Heath hasn't even come close to sniffing any form of an SEC Divisional or overall championship.

Heath's teams have "gotten better" every year.

But for crying out loud, one season, I think the basketball team and the football team won the same number of games, unless I am mistaken.

Didn't both the football team and the basketball team win 9 games around 2003 or so?

Also, Nutt replaced Danny Ford. Football fans in Arkansas were getting used to 4-7 records and actually going to a bowl game was quite a thing when Nutt took over.

Heath replaced Nolan. And while Nolan's teams weren't anything like they were in his heyday, he was the coach who took Arkansas to three Final Fours and a National Championship.

And as for racism......uh, hasn't the head basketball coach at Arkansas been black for about 22 years in a row now?

Yep....definitely racism.....22 consecutive years of black head coaches in basketball is a definite sign of racism on The Hill.

oldbooniehog

Ford left championship caliber talent- Nolan did not(understatement).  Lets tell the whole story if we are going to start it.  

Yes there is a double standard in this state but I don't know that its mostly racially driven.  The Nutt family enjoys favoritism.  Their family goes back a long ways in this state's athletic history.  That is how Dickey and Dale are still employed.  

If Ford left championship talent then why was that talent so awful the year before?  Noone going into the 98 seasno looked at Arkansas and said "Now there's a team loaded with talent" 

Razorback8

Big factor missing:

Basketball tradition during the last 15 years:  4 final four appearances (going off memory), back-to-back national championship games, and a national championship.  SH has a lot to live up to.

Football tradition during the last 15 years: not so much, so HDN gets more slack.  Let's face it, the only NC by the football team wasn't officially a NC (disputed because of the polls).

This translates into a tougher standard for SH than HDN, but not because of race.  I like SH a lot more than HDN, but I think HDN has been more successful at his job than SH has at his.  That being said, I think SH deserves more of our support considering the 15-1 home record last year.  We might be undefeated (or only one loss) if Brewer stays for this year.  That's not SH fault.  It will be his fault if this team can put it together and make it to the tournament by the end of the year.  But that's all I expect at this point.

Razorback8

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 21, 2006, 02:08:49 pm

Ford left championship caliber talent- Nolan did not(understatement).  Lets tell the whole story if we are going to start it.  

Yes there is a double standard in this state but I don't know that its mostly racially driven.  The Nutt family enjoys favoritism.  Their family goes back a long ways in this state's athletic history.  That is how Dickey and Dale are still employed.  
[/quote]

If Ford left championship talent then why was that talent so awful the year before?  Noone going into the 98 seasno looked at Arkansas and said "Now there's a team loaded with talent" 
[/quote]

I agree...Ford gets way too much credit for the 98 team.  Under Ford why would we have expected anything other than another 4-7?  Under HDN is was much better.  Of course, I didn't expect the kind of improvement we got this year either.

hogfan064

Quote from: donewithdale on December 21, 2006, 02:15:23 pm
Quote from: Razorback8 on December 21, 2006, 02:12:23 pm

I agree...Ford gets way too much credit for the 98 team.  Under Ford why would we have expected anything other than another 4-7?  Under HDN is was much better.  Of course, I didn't expect the kind of improvement we got this year either.
[/quote]

He gets way too much credit?  WTH recruited those players and developed them as Freshmen and Sophomores?  Nutt did nothing for 6 years after that 98-99 group left.  He still can't manage to put a balanced offense on the field. 

[/quote]

Nutt won the 02 West Division title and had 18 wins from 02-03.  I wouldn't exactly say he did nothing. 

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a shill?

McBain

Quote from: Yindao on December 21, 2006, 01:57:54 pm

Well - really only One bowl game a year is Not meaningless.

HogSophist

Nutt won the 02 West Division title and had 18 wins from 02-03.  I wouldn't exactly say he did nothing. 

nope

finished second in the sec west in 02, played in the SECCG due to the Alabama having recruiting violations and not being able to partake in post-season play.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Razorback8

[/quote]

He gets way too much credit?  WTH recruited those players and developed them as Freshmen and Sophomores?  Nutt did nothing for 6 years after that 98-99 group left.  He still can't manage to put a balanced offense on the field. 

[/quote]

I'm just saying HDN (and his coaches) deserves more credit than Ford (and his coaches) for that staff.  If Ford developed them so well we wouldn't have lost 7 games in 1997.  Remember, any development from Nov 97 to fall of '98 was under HDN's staff.  Ford sucked, and far worse than HDN.

Also, the 2003 team was good.  Overall, HDN's record has not been good enough, and I think he should still be on the hot seat going into next year.  But I don't think Ford deserves any credit for 98 and 99.

hogfan064

Quote from: McBain on December 21, 2006, 02:22:00 pm
Quote from: Yindao on December 21, 2006, 01:57:54 pm

Well - really only One bowl game a year is Not meaningless.

That is true, that's why it really isn't fair to compare the sports.  BUt I don't think the Capital One and Cotton bowls are meaningless.  Those are 2 bowls that the winner will 99% of the time finish in the top 15 nationally.  How many NIT champs finish in the top 15?  South Carolina has won it the past 2 years and hasn't finished in the top 25.  The Music City, Indy, and Vegas Bowls were NIT equivalent.

hogfan064

Quote from: opineonswine on December 21, 2006, 02:24:10 pm
I was not comparing the records or football vs. basketball, by the way.  I just see mediocrity from both of them.  The media, particularly the radio call in shows at night, pander to nutt and don't give SH the same treatment.  Why?

If having a top 15 football team right now is mediocre then yes I guess we're mediocre.  We've blown out 2 top 15 teams and our only losses are to 3 top 7 teams.  Right now the media isn't going to get on Nutt that hard.  And if we were to fire a guy who just won the SEC West Division we would be a bigger laughing stock than Bama is right now

Pragmatic PiG

I was not comparing the records or football vs. basketball, by the way.  I just see mediocrity from both of them.  The media, particularly the radio call in shows at night, pander to nutt and don't give SH the same treatment.  Why?

Like I posted previously, there are other factors that potentially exist other than race that would help to explain why the differential in treatment

I think we could easily come up with a list that could render the race issue as insignificant

However, It does seem like the majority of us are agreeing that Stan is handled "differently"............

hogfan064

Quote from: HogSophist on December 21, 2006, 02:22:18 pm

nope

finished second in the sec west in 02, played in the SECCG due to the Alabama having recruiting violations and not being able to partake in post-season play.

Sorry, but records will show we won the West.  It isn't HDN's fault that Bama cheats

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 21, 2006, 02:27:32 pm

If having a top 15 football team right now is mediocre then yes I guess we're mediocre.  We've blown out 2 top 15 teams and our only losses are to 3 top 7 teams.  Right now the media isn't going to get on Nutt that hard.  And if we were to fire a guy who just won the SEC West Division we would be a bigger laughing stock than Bama is right now

His scale of mediocrity probably includes more than just this season

This season was........well a great season,  ONE great season....

hogfan064

Quote from: Razorback8 on December 21, 2006, 02:23:20 pm

[/quote]

I'm just saying HDN (and his coaches) deserves more credit than Ford (and his coaches) for that staff.  If Ford developed them so well we wouldn't have lost 7 games in 1997.  Remember, any development from Nov 97 to fall of '98 was under HDN's staff.  Ford sucked, and far worse than HDN.

Also, the 2003 team was good.  Overall, HDN's record has not been good enough, and I think he should still be on the hot seat going into next year.  But I don't think Ford deserves any credit for 98 and 99.
[/quote]

Anyone who says Ford deserves credit for 98 and 99 then has to say Ron Zook deserves credit for this year's Florida team.  They have to say John Blake was responsible for OU's 2000 NC.  They have to say Paul Hackett was responsible for USC's 02 Rose Bowl team. Nutt won those games while Ford was milking a cow in Pickens County, SC

HogSophist

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 21, 2006, 02:28:31 pm
Quote from: HogSophist on December 21, 2006, 02:22:18 pm

nope

Sorry, but records will show we won the West.  It isn't HDN's fault that Bama cheats

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:oOs3kJp7MhIJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_Championship_Game+2002+SEC+western+division+champions+football&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

call it what you will.

hogfan064

Quote from: donewithdale on December 21, 2006, 02:30:09 pm

[/quote]

Does Butch Davis deserve no credit for Coker's NC?  What talent a coach is left with by his predecessor is a huge factor.  I don't understand at all how you can say Ford deserves no credit and it should all go to Nutt.  That's like saying Terry Bowden deserves all the credit for his AU teams and Pat Dye deserves none.  And again, this is off topic of the thread.

Something is wrong in our state with our media coverage.
[/quote]

The problem with that arguement is that Dye and Davis had already proven they could win lots of games at those schools.  Ford proved he could have a losing record at Arkansas.  Is John Blake responsible for OU's 00 national title?  Is Paul Hacket repsonsible for USC's 02 Rose Bowl and 11-2 season?  Is Ron Zook responsible for this year's Florida team? 

Razorback8

December 21, 2006, 02:36:37 pm #42 Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 02:38:47 pm by Razorback8
Quote from: donewithdale on December 21, 2006, 02:30:09 pm

Does Butch Davis deserve no credit for Coker's NC?  What talent a coach is left with by his predecessor is a huge factor.  I don't understand at all how you can say Ford deserves no credit and it should all go to Nutt.  That's like saying Terry Bowden deserves all the credit for his AU teams and Pat Dye deserves none.  And again, this is off topic of the thread.

Something is wrong in our state with our media coverage.

Butch was successful, Pat Dye was successful, Danny Ford was....

I just think it's ludicrous that players on a bad team play great, not because of the new coach, but because the old coach who is no longer made them great...but just couldn't get it out of them.

It's very relevant to this thread as we are discussing one of the reasons HDN gets less criticism than SH.  The PTB agree with my opinion of 1998 and 1999 and that has carried HDN for a long time with them.

rasorback4life

I am not defending the Buzz, because I frankly don't like most of them, but you have to take them for what they are.  People voicing their opinions, just like we are on Hogville.  If you don't like them, turn your station.  I don't remember any of them saying they are experts or anything of that line.  I don't think that Heath or Nutt are great coaches, but I really don't care who is the coach.  I just want to see my beloved Hogs do well, no matter what system is run or who is happy or not.  The thing that I believe will get Heath fired is not wins or losses or coaching styles, but the fact that people don't hardly care about the basketball team anymore, and they aren't coming to the games like they used to. We just had one of the best football seasons in many years, so people are going to be on Nutt's side.  Heath's team hasn't looked very good yet so he is in a bit of a hot seat.
Mediocrity Rules!!!

hogfan064

Quote from: opineonswine on December 21, 2006, 02:36:28 pm

Houston Nutt's record at Arkansas over nine years is the classic definition of mediocrity.  I'm not surprised you think otherwise since apparently you are perfectly happy with Gomer as your coach.

How about you not assume I'm a Nutt fan because I'm not, but I am smart enough to know you don't fire a guy after a 7-1 record in the SEC's regular season.  I do think he's done a much better job than Heath though

Razorback8

Quote from: donewithdale on December 21, 2006, 02:39:13 pm

Yes.  Blake deserves some credit as does Zook.  I'd give Nutt some if he's replaced next year due to leaving behind DMac and FJ, etc.

I'm glad to see you're consistent in your theory by applying it to HDN, even if I think it's wrong.  The difference, McFadden and 90% of this team is playing very well.  The next coach has to keep that going (which they will deserve credit for).  Because if you brought me into coach we would probably win 4 games with the same talent.

But the next coach would deserve even more credit if McFadden and company went 4-7 this year.  And that's what '97 and '98 looked like.

hogfan064

Quote from: donewithdale on December 21, 2006, 02:39:13 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on December 21, 2006, 02:32:34 pm

Anyone who says Ford deserves credit for 98 and 99 then has to say Ron Zook deserves credit for this year's Florida team.  They have to say John Blake was responsible for OU's 2000 NC.  They have to say Paul Hackett was responsible for USC's 02 Rose Bowl team. Nutt won those games while Ford was milking a cow in Pickens County, SC
[/quote]

Yes.  Blake deserves some credit as does Zook.  I'd give Nutt some if he's replaced next year due to leaving behind DMac and FJ, etc.
[/quote]

How about you give the guy coaching on the sidelines more credit.  Nutt was the one who did all the work in 98 and 99.  Danny Ford was chewing Tobacco at the local TD clubs in South Carolina.  Ford gets no credit from me.  He had 1 good year.  At Clemson he cheated to win games.

artyhog

SexBeast77,

With only 40 posts you have no idea as to what has been said here over the years.  You calling out posters is pretty silly.

If you have been around the Razorback world long enough to know any history, this state has almost always been about Football.  With the exception of of a few glorious years under Coach Sutton and Coach Richardson, there is not much much talk about basketball.  You will never have as many people spouting their support for BB over FB.

Now about the BUZZ.  Let me give you some history, since you are a little short on it.  Back in the 80's the Lady Razorbacks were struggling to get attention and support.  RR and my brother was asked to do play by play and color to get some interest in the game.  They did and got some action for the Ladies  BBers.  In the late 80s and early 90s he was trying to get some sports talk going on some radio stations in ARK, especially in LR. 

He is responsible for getting sports talk really going.  He has tried several different versions.

If you think that they a Raciest, your are totally off the mark.  The do a very good job.

Like I have said many times on Hogsville as well as many, many other others, if you do not like the show turn it off or switch channels.  They are not the most liked radio folks around. But to call any of them racist you are gravely in error.

Or is this your little way to start junk, just because you can?

Ark Blitz

I see now what Nolan was talking about.

The Ark Media gives Nutt a pass every year.  They never ask Nutt the hard questions.  The media is part of the Good Ole Boy system that FB and HDN have created on the Hill. 

Stan will continue to get hammered by the media as long as he is the coach at Ark.  This will be Stan's last year as coach at Ark. 

The media is quick to bash Stan but not Nutt.  What a suprise.....typical Ark Media Stuff!!

hogfan064

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 21, 2006, 02:49:54 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on December 21, 2006, 02:45:47 pm
Quote from: opineonswine on December 21, 2006, 02:36:28 pm

Houston Nutt's record at Arkansas over nine years is the classic definition of mediocrity.  I'm not surprised you think otherwise since apparently you are perfectly happy with Gomer as your coach.

How about you not assume I'm a Nutt fan because I'm not, but I am smart enough to know you don't fire a guy after a 7-1 record in the SEC's regular season.  I do think he's done a much better job than Heath though

I'm still seeing the same problem throughout this thread.

1)  There shouldn't be a comparison between the two (see earlier replies).
2)  You're not being a Nutt supporter because you say he had a good year.
3)  You don't fire a guy after going 7-1 and 10-3, no matter how bad the previous body of work.  Should have fired him last year while you had the opportunity. 

Noone wants to reply to anything we say Fresh Legs.  I'm done with this thread because 99% of the posters know that this isn't a racist situation.  This thread needs to go in the trash.