Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If "Stan the Man" was fired... (Pel?)

Started by Hogtropolis™, December 16, 2006, 11:09:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

If SH was fired, does anyone know of a coach out there that might be available at the end of the year?  A good coach?

clockwisehog

My neighbors kid's boys club team is 4-1.  We could see if their coach is available.  Seriously though, been a hog fan so long that this is making me sick.  I stood in line in 94 (as a student) from 3am til around 1pm to get tickets to the bud.  Now (and this is not a dis on the ladybacks) the olny difference between ladyback and hog games is the score.  The attendance is getting closer, but at least the ladybacks win.  It is sickening how Hog BBall has faded.  Heck, I don't think Dicky V even remembers who we are, and he used to love us.
"Doctors are always trying to tell me, you've got to start slowing it down.  But there's more old drunks than there are old Doctors, so I guess we should have another round" -- Willie Nelson

HogginAllDay&Nite

Quote from: razr red on December 16, 2006, 11:09:08 pm
If SH was fired, does anyone know of a coach out there that might be available at the end of the year?  A good coach?

LOL! Good coaches would be scared to come to a program where they're not guaranteed to stay for more than 5 years....
Loyal Razorback Fan Through It All

Hogtropolis™

I just hope that if SH can't turn it around this year (which I seriously doubt he will after today's showing) that we can get a big name coach that we know will come here and WIN.  Not some "up and coming" coach that has been doing good at a mid-major college.

hawgdan

I like Sutton from ORU.   The son of the guy that got us going.

As long as we fire Stan, I don't care.  Hell, I would take Nolan back.  He was our best coach ever.

Mike Anderson is the coach I really want, but don't think he would come.

If I am not making any since, I am drunk as hell.

Hogtropolis™

There's another thread on this topic, but I don't think that Mike A is coming back.  I wish he would just because his style of BB is just exciting, but I just don't see it happening.

whatsshakinbacon

Gillespie at Texas A & M.

Bacon out...

Hogtropolis™

I guess we should be lucky that we don't have the same situation as Minn. had earlier this year.

Hogtropolis™

Maybe the old Mizzou coach Quinn Snyder.  He didn't do a bad job there, just lost control.  I just know he couldn't do a worse job than SH.

Porkranger

At least he was good enough to know that he was over his head.

hawildcats17

personally i think James Dickey from Okie St. would be a good head coach....

Golfer

Quote from: clockwisehog on December 16, 2006, 11:14:50 pm
My neighbors kid's boys club team is 4-1.  We could see if their coach is available.  Seriously though, been a hog fan so long that this is making me sick.  I stood in line in 94 (as a student) from 3am til around 1pm to get tickets to the bud.  Now (and this is not a dis on the ladybacks) the olny difference between ladyback and hog games is the score.  The attendance is getting closer, but at least the ladybacks win.  It is sickening how Hog BBall has faded.  Heck, I don't think Dicky V even remembers who we are, and he used to love us.

How many games have we lost?

Porkranger

Arkansas has lost two games. They played two good teams and got blown out by both.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Golfer on December 16, 2006, 11:37:01 pm
Quote from: clockwisehog on December 16, 2006, 11:14:50 pm
My neighbors kid's boys club team is 4-1.  We could see if their coach is available.  Seriously though, been a hog fan so long that this is making me sick.  I stood in line in 94 (as a student) from 3am til around 1pm to get tickets to the bud.  Now (and this is not a dis on the ladybacks) the olny difference between ladyback and hog games is the score.  The attendance is getting closer, but at least the ladybacks win.  It is sickening how Hog BBall has faded.  Heck, I don't think Dicky V even remembers who we are, and he used to love us.

How many games have we lost?
How many games have we won against power conferences?  The #2 IMO will shoot up pretty fast after watching how we played today.  Remember 2 years ago when we started out 12-1 and ended up 18-12.  We won 6 SEC games.  Looking like this year will shape up a lot like that year with less out of conf. wins.  We won't make it to the tourney if we play like that.  It won't be a pretty year IMO.

hogsno1

I know of a very good coach that may become available at season's end. The only problem is that Frank won't spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to hire him.

I had a brief conversation with a guy who lives in LR, but is a big Kentucky fan. This is only one fan's opinion but the welcome for Tubby Smith may be wearing out. It has been a while since they have been a solid NC contender.

But like I said Frank won't spend the $$$$$$ so no reason to give much thought here.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: hogsno1 on December 16, 2006, 11:52:58 pm

I know of a very good coach that may become available at season's end. The only problem is that Frank won't spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to hire him.

I had a brief conversation with a guy who lives in LR, but is a big Kentucky fan. This is only one fan's opinion but the welcome for Tubby Smith may be wearing out. It has been a while since they have been a solid NC contender.

But like I said Frank won't spend the $$$$$$ so no reason to give much thought here.
Still interesting though.  Thanks for the input.  I'll believe that when I see though.  Seems like Tubby is firmly planted in Kentucky.  I would definately welcome him with open arms though.

Hogtropolis™

Does anyone think that we could entice Memphis's coach away?  Or is that just crazy talk?

Bad_Intentions

Hogsno1, you may have something there about Tubby. I know a lot of Kentucky fans and they're like a lot of you are with Nutt. No matter what they do - save a national title or something close to it - a lot of fans still want these guys out.

Kentucky, if they falter a bit, might actually fire Tubby. If they do, we should send tanks to Fayetteville and demand that they pay Smith whatever the hell he wants.

Far-fetched, yes, but it's possible. I know a lot of UK fans strongly dislike Tubby.
WPS!!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Bad_Intentions on December 16, 2006, 11:58:19 pm
Hogsno1, you may have something there about Tubby. I know a lot of Kentucky fans and they're like a lot of you are with Nutt. No matter what they do - save a national title or something close to it - a lot of fans still want these guys out.

Kentucky, if they falter a bit, might actually fire Tubby. If they do, we should send tanks to Fayetteville and demand that they pay Smith whatever the hell he wants.

Far-fetched, yes, but it's possible. I know a lot of UK fans strongly dislike Tubby.
That's very interesting.  I didn't know that.  Guess now I'll be rooting for Kentucky to have a bad year and see what happens.

hogsno1

But then again when it comes to hiring coaches Frank never spends the big bucks to go big time.

Hogtropolis™

that's very true, Nolan wasn't big time, neither was Nutt or Heath.  I guess we can add that to our wish list this Christmas.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: razr red on December 16, 2006, 11:56:11 pm
Quote from: hogsno1 on December 16, 2006, 11:52:58 pm

Still interesting though.  Thanks for the input.  I'll believe that when I see though.  Seems like Tubby is firmly planted in Kentucky.  I would definately welcome him with open arms though.

I thought of Tubby as well and have always liked him. But, if he's had problems at Kentucky, wouldn't he have problems as well here? I'd think we need to go outside of the conference. We missed Kelvin Sampson by one year. He's turned two programs around . . . Wash State and Zero U.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Hogtropolis™

I was thinking of Sampson eariler.  He's done a pretty good job for himself.  We'll end up hiring a mid-major coach from somewhere if Heath leaves.  I don't even know why we are talking about this.  I guess we could try to get Wichita St.'s coach.  He's seems to have done well for himself the last 2 years.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: razr red on December 17, 2006, 12:18:21 am
I was thinking of Sampson eariler.  He's done a pretty good job for himself.  We'll end up hiring a mid-major coach from somewhere if Heath leaves.  I don't even know why we are talking about this.  I guess we could try to get Wichita St.'s coach.  He's seems to have done well for himself the last 2 years.

We could always ask Santa for Mark Few from Gonzaga.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on December 17, 2006, 12:31:42 am
+1
I agree...someone else said he was horrible earlier tonight, or yesterday considering how freaking late it is...I need to go to bed!

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: razr red on December 17, 2006, 12:39:03 am
Quote from: Seahawk4ever on December 17, 2006, 12:31:42 am
+1
I agree...someone else said he was horrible earlier tonight, or yesterday considering how freaking late it is...I need to go to bed!

Horrible? To recruit players the caliber of Morrison and Batiste to a Catholic school of 3000-4000 or so in Spokane, Washington? And then be in the Sweet 16 almost every year? Yeah, who'd want a coach like that.

bigyellowdog

Mark Fox at Nevada would be a good choice.  He turned down Nebraska last year.  He is waiting for the right situation to come along.   

Rev. Hog

How about Nolan & Frank kiss-and-make up? 

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: bigyellowdog on December 17, 2006, 06:50:30 am
Mark Fox at Nevada would be a good choice.  He turned down Nebraska last year.  He is waiting for the right situation to come along.   
I haven't thought of that.  That it actually a pretty good choice if you ask me.  They have been ranked in the top 25 at some point in each of the last 3 years if I remember correctly.

Hogtropolis™

I haven't thought of that.  That it actually a pretty good choice if you ask me.  They have been ranked in the top 25 at some point in each of the last 3 years if I remember correctly.

Hogtropolis™

BaldHeadedHippy

I would get M. Anderson and pay him what ever it takes to get him here!!!
"I'm no better than the next man, I only try like hell to be." (G. Smith/Me the Baldheadedhippy)

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: BaldHeadedHippy on December 17, 2006, 09:09:00 am
I would get M. Anderson and pay him what ever it takes to get him here!!!
Whole diff. thread...it won't happen, so don't hold your breath.

hogfan13

Rick Barnes

Former Ole Piss Head Coach

Yes. This is my 6,000 post in Monday Morning Quarterback

kuhog

Mark Turgeon from Wichita State would be my first prospect. Not only can he recruit well, but he is one of the best young coaches in America right now. They are in the top 15 right now, and have beaten some respectable teams this year (LSU in Baton Rouge). Not bad for a mid-major program.

Immensehog

I think Rand Chappel at UCA is a much better option than SH.

Has won everywhere he has been, is a fiery competitor, and a great recruiter.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

outlawhogeywells

I must be smoking something today,,,,but I would take Brady from LSU....2 or 3 years ago I would not have said that, but man he is a recruiting machine and LSU does not appreciate the BB team....

Adam Stokes

Knowing the players we have coming back next year, if we were to fire Heath this year MANY coaches would want to come into this program and utilize the talent.  Because of his health problems, I say we put Rick Majerus on the Biggest Loser and then hire him.

Table Rocker

as a cardinals fan i'm sickened that SH was called 'the man', can we change the title of the thread :)

Porkatarian

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on December 16, 2006, 11:22:54 pm
Gillespie at Texas A & M.

Bacon out...

Gillespie gets Porkatarian's vote, not that my vote is worth much....
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Razorback_Z71

I think we should hire someone with NBA coaching experience.  It seems to be working well with USC in both football and basketball.

RealHogFan

Hey the perfect choice would be ---------- Dickey Nutt

[Just kidding folks]

bodeek

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: ajs15razorman on December 17, 2006, 10:27:34 am
  Knowing the players we have coming back next year, if we were to fire Heath this year MANY coaches would want to come into this program and utilize the talent.  Because of his health problems, I say we put Rick Majerus on the Biggest Loser and then hire him.
Very good point.  I wouldn't mind Majerus.  He had his old Utah Utes doing pretty good quite a few years ago.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: bodeek on December 17, 2006, 11:57:26 am
How about Bobby Cremins?
Don't know that name?  Where's he at now or where has he been?

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 17, 2006, 11:58:53 am
Quote from: iknodarren on December 16, 2006, 11:15:54 pm

LOL! Good coaches would be scared to come to a program where they're not guaranteed to stay for more than 5 years....

Good coaches don't need guarantees.  They create them.  5 years is plenty especially in basketball.
+1

bodeek

Bobby Cremins was the former coach of GT, coached  Marbury, Salley, and a few other pro ballers. Currently coaching at  College of Charleston  after being out of coaching for about 5 years, he  wanted to recharge his batteries. IMHO he will be at a major program next year.

SexyBeast77

I'm for Majerus. Last two hirings at U of A, from Kent St and Boise St. We need a more proven winner than that.
Too much of a tendency to hire the buzz coach of the moment.
  Majerus would be hillarious in interviews and not boring.
Imagine both of our Jr High coaches get fired and we end up with Majerus as basketball coach
and Reggie Herring as our football coach. We'll get some passion and interesting quotes then.  ;D

3kgthog

What happened to the Doc Sadler love fest? You know that guy would jump from the frozen and barren tundra of Nebraska.

Since we are so cheap I say drop down to a lower division and get a guy that's won some national titles. Ohio St. did it for football by snagging Tressel from Youngstown St. Why couldn't we do it in basketball?

Hogtropolis™

Interesting take.  I would go for Doc Saddler also.  I like some of the names being thrown out here.  Hopefully at least some of them would be on JFB list if Stan did get let go.