Started by mikeirwin, December 12, 2006, 09:59:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

Quote from: machog23 on December 12, 2006, 10:37:06 am
Quote from: jamie72921 on December 12, 2006, 10:35:30 am
Quote from: dubyacee on December 12, 2006, 10:10:40 am
Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on December 12, 2006, 10:08:13 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on December 12, 2006, 09:59:58 am
JFB has told Stan Heath to play a more uptempo offense. The fans like it better Broyles says.  The thing is, that's not what this team is best suited for. In their only real uptempo game they got slaughtered by Missouri. Anyone who has watched the early schedule can see that the Hogs have played best in a patterend half court offense.
Now look at Football. We are told that letting Gus run his offense is not what this team does best. They will run the ball 80%, pass 20% with the idea that if you have D-Mac and Felix you have to put the ball in their hands as much as possible.
The bottom line, the AD lets the football coach run the offense he thinks is best suited for winning. But he tells the basketball coach to run an offense that is not the best fit for the talent Heath has.

Nolan was right.

ding, ding, ding....We have a winner. 

Folks, Frank Broyles has been a member at Augusta for many decades.

To most, Augusta is famous for being an exclusive golf club. Home of the Master's.

To those who pay attention, Augusta was sued in the 1990's, that's right the 1990's, for not allowing any people of color to join the club. Not even one person of color had EVER made the cut at Augusta.

I don't know that Nolan was 100% correct, but I do know he wasn't 100% wrong either.

Are you insinuating racism? If so, who are you to do so? This alone deserves a visit to the trash.

I don't think it had anything to do with race and everything to do with willing submission...

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: cmakrzrbak on December 12, 2006, 10:36:04 am
Stirring the pot is not what Mike I. does.  He reports what he sees...

Umm, he just admitted that he didn't see this, but that it was something told to a sportswriter (we don't know whom) anywhere from 4-6 months ago.  You're right about one thing.  I have an agenda...I call BS when I hear it.  My agenda is to call out pot-stirrers.  I could care less if you agree with me.

newhogfan

I have recently moved here and I am a OU fan and graduate first but living here I have started really liking the Hogs. I do have one thing to say..it is refreshing to have a Athletic Director who doesn't tell the coaches how to coach...this is the way it is at OU and I would suspect that Arkansas would be better served if it was that way here.

311Hog

Quote from: hogfan870 on December 12, 2006, 10:39:22 am
Quote from: 311Hog on December 12, 2006, 10:27:34 am
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 12, 2006, 10:19:31 am
The run pass mix was a little more than 60/40 this year, not Broyles's favored 80/20 that he did almost his whole career as a coach.

The Hogs didn't get slaughtered by Mizzou because they couldn't run.  They got hammered because they couldn't handle the ball in the halfcourt nor defend the perimeter.  Not in that game.  Mike Anderson rushed Heath through all his favored player rotations till he couldn't use them anymore (due to foul trouble and fatigue), then the Tigers dismantled the units that were on the floor after that.  Second half of both halves.  You look back throughout Heath's career at Arkansas.  Opponents that did that to him always won.  If the Hogs can depend on a couple different lineups, they're fine.  If they have to go deep into the bench, they can look terrible against the weakest of opponents.  Not prepared for that.  Never prepared for that.

It still looks at though Heath is groping for what kind of team he wants to have, and his roster never seems to match what he wants very well.  The measure of Heath will be how much this team improves from December to March.  In past years (even last year) Heath abruptly changed strategic direction in midseason.  Last year it worked more than it hurt.  In the previous two years, he slowed down the tempo, and the players lost faith in him.  They despised being asked to play a style that made them look bad, because it didn't fit their skills.

The hard thing with the rosters Heath has had = the player mix has not been right.  Build the roster right, the team kinda plays itself after a while.  Heath has had a couple of players who play best if the whole team rotates around them.  But Heath doesn't have that kind of supporting cast.  The rest of the roster could benefit from a completely different, more share-the-burden style, which turns those other players into turnips.  It's always a tug of war.

It should always be defense first, then you see a Missouri game where they hit 57% from 3-pt range, which is hard to do unguarded.

Do we have a great ballhandler?  Do we have a great outside shooter?  Do we have a great rebounder?  Do we have a great man-to-man defender?  Do we have a tough guy?  What kind of basketball team has NOTA?

Biggus my analysis of our basketball program is much easier to explain.

Townes will never achieve his potential he plays soft

Hill will never develop an offensive game, are you serious? going into the 3rd year and he doesnt even have a simple hook shot.

With the exception of Beverly and Manimal (Thomas) our team is pretty much flawed or filled with players with glaring flaws in their game that they apparently either refuse to acknowledge and improve or simpley cant improve them because of lack of skill.

I hate to be so critical of them, but it is true it hurts me to watch them play because they seem to have all the natural abilities yet for some reason cant get it together.

Weems is pretty good.  

Weems isnt consistant at all, and being a JC player i would expect him to be just that at the very least.

H.E. Pennypacker

Quote from: mikeirwin on December 12, 2006, 10:33:31 am
Quote from: David Brent on December 12, 2006, 10:25:16 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on December 12, 2006, 10:13:18 am
Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on December 12, 2006, 10:04:07 am
JFB has told Stan Heath to play a more uptempo offense. The fans like it better Broyles says.  The thing is, that's not what this team is best suited for. In their only real uptempo game they got slaughtered by Missouri. Anyone who has watched the early schedule can see that the Hogs have played best in a patterend half court offense.
Now look at Football. We are told that letting Gus run his offense is not what this team does best. They will run the ball 80%, pass 20% with the idea that if you have D-Mac and Felix you have to put the ball in their hands as much as possible.
The bottom line, the AD lets the football coach run the offense he thinks is best suited for winning. But he tells the basketball coach to run an offense that is not the best fit for the talent Heath has.

Nice try, Mike, but it's not that simple and you know it. 
Nice try but it IS that simple and you know it.
JFB has his hands all over that basketball pogram and even though they are winning for the last two years now Heath is being told how to coach.
JFB basically leaves Nutt alone.

I just want to know where you heard this, Mike.  Was it a direct quote from JFB or Stan Heath? 

It baffles me how something like this can be posted and the mindless minions on this board start bashing Frank Broyles without even asking where this information came from.

It was said directly to a sportswriter by JFB last summer. However it's common knowledge among those who are around the basketball program that JFB wants them to run like Nolan did to get the crowds back up.

KEY PHRASE:  "To get the crowds back up."  That's why I don't see a double standard here.  Whether we like it or not, the standard is money.  Frank would not be doing his job if he let the resources that propel the Athletic Department dry up.

cmakrzrbak

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on December 12, 2006, 10:41:37 am
Quote from: cmakrzrbak on December 12, 2006, 10:36:04 am
Stirring the pot is not what Mike I. does.  He reports what he sees...

Umm, he just admitted that he didn't see this, but that it was something told to a sportswriter (we don't know whom) anywhere from 4-6 months ago.  You're right about one thing.  I have an agenda...I call BS when I hear it.  My agenda is to call out pot-stirrers.  I could care less if you agree with me.

And I could care less if you enjoy being wrong...
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

StatMaster

couldn't agree more that this is a double standard... the basketball program is always going to be more highly scrutinized until football wins another championship... 94 is still fresh in everyone's minds here so that's why broyles is doing this

311Hog

Quote from: A.E. Pennyporker on December 12, 2006, 10:47:56 am

JFB has his hands all over that basketball pogram and even though they are winning for the last two years now Heath is being told how to coach.

I just want to know where you heard this, Mike.  Was it a direct quote from JFB or Stan Heath? 

It baffles me how something like this can be posted and the mindless minions on this board start bashing Frank Broyles without even asking where this information came from.

It was said directly to a sportswriter by JFB last summer. However it's common knowledge among those who are around the basketball program that JFB wants them to run like Nolan did to get the crowds back up.

KEY PHRASE:  "To get the crowds back up."  That's why I don't see a double standard here.  Whether we like it or not, the standard is money.  Frank would not be doing his job if he let the resources that propel the Athletic Department dry up.

ACtualy the reason people arent going to the games is alot bigger then "style of play" this i can promise you, so maybe before ole Frank steps out of his office in the sky to tell someone else how to do their job, he should figure out how to do his.

Simple fact is people dont like and dont care about Hog basketball, and if they arent careful they will feel the same way about Hog Football in a few years. The purple elephant is in the room who will say what it is?

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Feralhog on December 11, 2006, 10:11:05 am
It's on Frank's doorstep.  If Frank wants to be a coach again, then he needs to fire HDN and get his ass back on the sidelines.  If not then let the guy you hired do the job you hired him to do.  Let the person hired to be coach make the decisions in the offseason regarding who to keep and who to fire.  Had Frank stayed out of this last year, HDN would likely not have hired Gus, and even though we may not have ended up with the exact same recruiting class, we would at least have something built on a decent foundation instead of smoke and mirrors. 

Let's connect the dots where Frank is concerned.  When we hired HDN, his offense looked nothing like his offense today.  Mike over hears a conversation one afternoon between Broyles and Mathews where Broyles is stating we throw the ball too much and BAM!  We dropped our passing game faster than Liberace going down in a San Fransisco Bath House.

Next we FORCE HDN to hire an offensive coordinator.  I have to ask, what was the thinking here?  What's the point in bringing in someone who has a philosophy of a 50/50 run to pass ratio KNOWING the person forcing the hire doesn't believe in that philosophy?  Either Frank is so G-DAMN senile that he forgets what he likes, or he thought maybe it's time to open things up, or he didn't want the Springdale players to get away.  The only other scenario would be it wasn't Frank's idea, Nutt hired Malzahn.  It'd be easier to sell me on the entertainment value of taking a tooth drillin than sellin me the bs that Gus was HDN's brainstorm.

Go back in time and look at the environment on the Hill about this time last year.  Had we not signed Mitch, there would have been people in the night carrying torches, a battering ram and directions to the dwelling of our Head Coach.  Rumors flying around that Butch Davis would jump right in and take over if Nutt leaves, certainly didn't help matters if you were on the Hill.  As a side note.  Where's the argument now that Butch wouldn't coach at insignificant little arkysaw?  Oh yeah, he was holding out for the chance of a lifetime position as head coach at Chapel Hill. 

Here's the thing. If a dumbass Real Estate Guy in Missouri can figure this out, I have to believe someone knee deep in the everyday life of college sports can as well. Being faced with the position of facing the uproar over losing several major D1 prospects, (in the shadows of your own goalpost) the logical thing would be to say and do whatever it takes to make sure they don't get away. Once you get them, and they realize what happened, and the recruits begin pondering the prospects of having a mass exodus,  you'll have them by the short hairs because they'll realize the logisticals of everything falling into place for seeking a transfer is unlikely.  Then for good measure, all you have to do is have your minions run around spreading the rumor that these guys are a bunch of spoiled brats who want to place themselves ahead of the program.  And since the PTB has control of the press, they can get the word out in a form that's believable with the added bonus that any reporter digging for the truth, will be black balled.

It takes power to accomplish all this and who has the power, Nutt?
I liked this.

ShellHog

I was under impression JFB forced OC on HDN...Is that not true?  I wouldn't say thats leaving the Head football coach alone.

fourthcrusade

Attendance "decline" isn't as horrible as you think... still in the top 15 in attendance.

Weems is awesome, only a fool thinks JC players make the jump immediately.  Heck, even larry johnson from UNLV took a few months to get to 'awesome' form.

311Hog

i never said Weems wasnt good but he disappears in games and against players he should own. Still doesnt change the fact that every one of our post players are crippled offensively or defensively. Townes doesnt play unless he feels like it which isnt often, and Hill has no game, cant even effectively pass out of double teams.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on December 12, 2006, 10:23:39 am
Mike,

1.  When did JFB tell Stan to hurry it up?

2.  Was this a command or a statement that fans like it more?

3.  When in the past has Arkansas football had a fast-paced offense that the fans were used to?

4.  Was this an attack on Broyles just to make a disgruntled faction of this board have something else to talk about?

5.  How would you describe your relationship with Broyles?

6.  Do you feel that the only man to lead Arkansas to a National Championship in football has suddenly lost his ability to discern what will or will not work on a football field?

7.  Why is it you seem to report more negative than positive these days?  Surely in the midst of a great season, you'd have more positive things to say? 

8.  Who said you couldn't have an up-tempo running offense?  CBS noted that we score quickly out of our running offense, and this year we had many more BIG plays (in both the passing and running game) than we had last year.  Seems like our offense has sped up, even if we have a more conventional running game while we nurse along a couple of young quarterbacks.

9.  When was the last time you heard Malzahn complain about the offense this season?

10.  If our offense is so behind, why was Malzahn named the coordinator of the year by College Football News?

Your post was more about stirring the pot than anything else, I get that.  But an attack on Broyles in order to gain momentum from this meeting with the parents was unneccessary.  The posters on this board deserve better than mere pot-stirring from its moderators.  I think we went through that last week.  This board can be greater than it is now if we stop with some of the senseless bashing and open it up to more discussion about all topics, positive and negative.

Excellent post

willkhitey

December 12, 2006, 11:34:50 am #63 Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:38:17 am by willkhitey
Quote from: Quick Trigger™ on December 12, 2006, 11:23:40 am
Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on December 12, 2006, 10:23:39 am
Mike,

1.  When did JFB tell Stan to hurry it up?

2.  Was this a command or a statement that fans like it more?

3.  When in the past has Arkansas football had a fast-paced offense that the fans were used to?

4.  Was this an attack on Broyles just to make a disgruntled faction of this board have something else to talk about?

5.  How would you describe your relationship with Broyles?

6.  Do you feel that the only man to lead Arkansas to a National Championship in football has suddenly lost his ability to discern what will or will not work on a football field?

7.  Why is it you seem to report more negative than positive these days?  Surely in the midst of a great season, you'd have more positive things to say? 

8.  Who said you couldn't have an up-tempo running offense?  CBS noted that we score quickly out of our running offense, and this year we had many more BIG plays (in both the passing and running game) than we had last year.  Seems like our offense has sped up, even if we have a more conventional running game while we nurse along a couple of young quarterbacks.

9.  When was the last time you heard Malzahn complain about the offense this season?

10.  If our offense is so behind, why was Malzahn named the coordinator of the year by College Football News?

Your post was more about stirring the pot than anything else, I get that.  But an attack on Broyles in order to gain momentum from this meeting with the parents was unneccessary.  The posters on this board deserve better than mere pot-stirring from its moderators.  I think we went through that last week.  This board can be greater than it is now if we stop with some of the senseless bashing and open it up to more discussion about all topics, positive and negative.

1.  In a meeting last year.
2.  Pretty much told to do so if I understand it correctly.
3.  Never.  Would you like to run the wishbone and not change with the times ???
4.  Broyles doesn't believe in the internets.
5.  N/A
6.  Duh!  The man is really really old.  82?
7.  Someone has to do the dirty work.  Why don't you ask that question about Chuck, Clay, Otus, Dudwey, and Rick?  Do they ever report anything that isn't positive except trashing an 18 year old kid?
8.  Scoring faster (i.e., big plays) has nothing to do with the overall pace of the offense.  Get a clue.
9.  Do you HONESTLY think he would do so on the record? 
10. Because we beat two quality opponets.  The awards are not given out because you run a balanced offense or because you are in the 21st century. 

You seem to be disingenious in your questions.   

I disagree with the "disingenious" comment.

I have many of the same questions for many of the posts I read, but when the tone of a post suits the mood of the board there seems to be very little call for accountability, fact-checking, etc.

Which brings me to the much-maligned print media, often they may not get the story when we want them to, they may not ask the questions we would ask, and generally speaking they gloss over our greatest concerns in their opinion pieces (Ranier Sabin is the exception here IMO), but if they got as many things wrong as some posters here do, there's no way they'd work at a decent newspaper again.

Whereas a poster can spout off opinions like gospel, true journalists are hamstrung by fact-based  reporting.

Sorry for the off-topic rant. Just my .02
"What a terrible waste it is to lose one's mind"
--Dan Quayle, speaking to the NAACP

d1nonlyhogfan

He's just looking for a reason to fire another African-American without getting bad PR.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

HogHillbilly

Quote from: machog23 on December 12, 2006, 10:23:51 am
Is it kind of like the double standard on this board? You know, if you hate JFB and HDN you're super cool, but if not you are an idiot who can't see past your rose colored glasses?

FINALLY................A hugger that gets it
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

jhawg

there is the answer to your question... There is no double standard. Football sells out, basketball does not.
"They are not worried about selling tickets. They are not worried about selling offenses and gimmicks and things of that nature. They are worried about winning and having a winning tradition."- Reggie Herring

HoggyWood

Quote from: HogHillbilly on December 12, 2006, 11:44:36 am
Quote from: machog23 on December 12, 2006, 10:23:51 am
Is it kind of like the double standard on this board? You know, if you hate JFB and HDN you're super cool, but if not you are an idiot who can't see past your rose colored glasses?

FINALLY................A hugger that gets it

Except that I'm not a Hugger.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: willkhitey on December 12, 2006, 11:34:50 am

I disagree with the "disingenious" comment.

I have many of the same questions for many of the posts I read, but when the tone of a post suits the mood of the board there seems to be very little call for accountability, fact-checking, etc.

Which brings me to the much-maligned print media, often they may not get the story when we want them to, they may not ask the questions we would ask, and generally speaking they gloss over our greatest concerns in their opinion pieces (Ranier Sabin is the exception here IMO), but if they got as many things wrong as some posters here do, there's no way they'd work at a decent newspaper again.

Whereas a poster can spout off opinions like gospel, true journalists are hamstrung by fact-based  reporting.

Sorry for the off-topic rant. Just my .02
But where Mike is concerned, I see much the same care taken. While he has said he posts here as a fan, he also understands that his credibility here is tied to his credibility on air. I just do not believe that Mike I pulls stuff out of the air to put on the board. He has at times been "behind the curve" regarding some rumors here because he does attempt to check sources before spouting off. Those who compare his credibility to the vast majority of posters here (including myself) are, in my opinion off base.

ToddW

I think it is definately think it is time for JFB to retire.  He had done a great job but i think it is time for a new approach.
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

HogHillbilly

I agree with you Mike.......................But......................Hasn't Frank told Nutt who to hire and what to do............Like maybe the offense for example............Since he told the parents that Gus' offense won't work here.................Shouldn't we assume that he told Nutt the same thing ?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 12, 2006, 10:56:42 am
Attendance "decline" isn't as horrible as you think... still in the top 15 in attendance.

In the top 15 by default.  Most home arenas don't hold even 15,000.  Average attendance was down more than 25% from peak and was well below historical average.  Attendance was down in our best season since Nolan.  The early season results this year don't bode well for that figure going up.
[CENSORED]!

PigPusher

Quote from: HogHillbilly on December 12, 2006, 10:05:44 am
I'm starting to believe that JFB is the REAL problem in football and basketball...............Get rid of him and let's see how Nutt and Heath do................I would be willing to wait another year with them out from under JFBs thumb...........If they still can't cut it...........Get rid of them

Of course he has been the problem for years.  Granted he is a great fund raiser, but his other skills required to be a great AD are just not there. Some of us saw him operate as a head coach. Believe me some of the things he pulled caused him ridicule just as Nutt is getting.  His judgement is very suspect.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

jhawg

Quote from: PigPusher on December 12, 2006, 11:53:22 am
I'm starting to believe that JFB is the REAL problem in football and basketball...............Get rid of him and let's see how Nutt and Heath do................I would be willing to wait another year with them out from under JFBs thumb...........If they still can't cut it...........Get rid of them

Of course he has been the problem for years.  Granted he is a great fund raiser, but his other skills required to be a great AD are just not there. Some of us saw him operate as a head coach. Believe me some of the things he pulled caused him ridicule just as Nutt is getting.  His judgement is very suspect.

This happens when your actually in charge of something. All in all we have been extremely lucky to have Broyles as AD. It may be time for him to move on. But he certainly has brought the hill some of the best facilities in the nation. He has poured his life into this program. For that I believe he has earned the right to leave on his own terms. 
"They are not worried about selling tickets. They are not worried about selling offenses and gimmicks and things of that nature. They are worried about winning and having a winning tradition."- Reggie Herring

HogHillbilly

Quote from: jhawg on December 12, 2006, 11:56:54 am
Quote from: PigPusher on December 12, 2006, 11:53:22 am

This happens when your actually in charge of something. All in all we have been extremely lucky to have Broyles as AD. It may be time for him to move on. But he certainly has brought the hill some of the best facilities in the nation. He has poured his life into this program. For that I believe he has earned the right to leave on his own terms. 

As long as it's right now......................I have no problem with that

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: jhawg on December 12, 2006, 11:56:54 am
I agree with you in principle, but I fear he won't retire. With medical care what it is today, that could be a while, and I'm not sure the brain can keep up with the body. I would prefer he retire with dignity and preserve his legacy...But who am I?

HawgWild

Last summer? I'm confused Mike, because it sounds like you are making an argument for the NOW for what was said last summer. JFB is correct about the fans liking a more uptempo basketball team, I know that I do and miss the Nolan days. However, if Stan Heath can win this way and get us back to National prominence then I'm sure JFB will back off as will the fans.

hogsanity

I have been saying this since for months.  As for Mike post:

1.  JFb likes the offense the FB team is running.  If he did not he would "suggest" changes.  Just like he apparently did when he squashed the HUNH. 

2.  JFB needs fannys in the satnds in Bud Walton, and he thinks uptempo will do that. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

donthaveone

Attendance is the reason for double standard, bottom line. Overflow crowds for football, half empty arena for b-ball with season ticket renewels dwindeling. Yet, (after listening to yesterdays show) if you are a part of a smear campaign for getting rid of the Old Guy, I am with you.

Hong Kong Sooey

Some of you people would refuse to believe something unless it was smacking you in the groin.  Some of you aren't smart enough to look down if it was...

hogsanity

Quote from: Quick Trigger™ on December 12, 2006, 12:19:16 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2006, 12:16:57 pm

I have been saying this since for months.  As for Mike post:

1.  JFb likes the offense the FB team is running.  If he did not he would "suggest" changes.  Just like he apparently did when he squashed the HUNH. 

2.  JFB needs fannys in the satnds in Bud Walton, and he thinks uptempo will do that. 

Hogsanity-You know that we often disagree but I think your "JFB is the problem" may be a lot more right than most realize.  I still think both Heath and Dale have issues but clearly it's past time for JFB to go.  That much is certain.

Oh they have issues, no doubt, BUT JFb is their boss.  If he wants them gone, he could make it happen, and if he cant he needs to go. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jabohog

Quote from: machog23 on December 12, 2006, 10:37:06 am
Quote from: jamie72921 on December 12, 2006, 10:35:30 am
Quote from: dubyacee on December 12, 2006, 10:10:40 am
Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on December 12, 2006, 10:08:13 am

Nolan was right.

ding, ding, ding....We have a winner. 

Folks, Frank Broyles has been a member at Augusta for many decades.

To most, Augusta is famous for being an exclusive golf club. Home of the Master's.

To those who pay attention, Augusta was sued in the 1990's, that's right the 1990's, for not allowing any people of color to join the club. Not even one person of color had EVER made the cut at Augusta.

I don't know that Nolan was 100% correct, but I do know he wasn't 100% wrong either.

Are you insinuating racism? If so, who are you to do so? This alone deserves a visit to the trash.
Your not a mod, you don't call those shots.

jabohog

Quote from: donthaveone on December 12, 2006, 12:18:05 pm

Attendance is the reason for double standard, bottom line. Overflow crowds for football, half empty arena for b-ball with season ticket renewels dwindeling. Yet, (after listening to yesterdays show) if you are a part of a smear campaign for getting rid of the Old Guy, I am with you.
Exactly!

artyhog

How is any of this a double standard?

Every sport has to be dealt with differently and at different times.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 12, 2006, 12:21:19 pm
Some of you people would refuse to believe something unless it was smacking you in the groin.  Some of you aren't smart enough to look down if it was...
Oh come on now. If it hit me in the face I might miss it. But if anything hard-hitting gets near the groin, I'm pulling a Bruce Lee.

fourthcrusade

Sorry, but football doesn't sell out every game.  There are/were hordes of emtpy seats the last 2 years for nonconference games.  Not danny ford empty, but nothing close to 70k.

WHy not compare bball SEC game % to football SEC game %?

THAT is the TRUE test

hey check it out, EVER YEAR since the nat'l champ (barring 98), attendance DECREASED!

HMmmm... maybe, just maybe, since the nat'l champ, numbers in general have fallen.

RazorRedneck

Then explain why he made Nutt hire and OC

fourthcrusade

Plus, last year's hoops game against FLORIDA was in a blizzard... about 5K showed up.  with only 16 home games, a loss of like 10K people like that can destroy your average (which is why '06' is listed as a 'decrease' from 05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hogs dont cry

So let me get this straight, If you question anything Chuck Barrett or Rick Schaeffer say, it's because you're going against the UA spin machine.

If you question anything Mike Irwin says you aren't smart enough to see the truth if it hit you in the groin.  Awesome logic there, HKS. 

Maybe the intellegent people are questioning everything, no matter who it's coming from.

H.E. Pennypacker

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 12, 2006, 12:46:10 pm
Sorry, but football doesn't sell out every game.  There are/were hordes of emtpy seats the last 2 years for nonconference games.  Not danny ford empty, but nothing close to 70k.

WHy not compare bball SEC game % to football SEC game %?

THAT is the TRUE test

hey check it out, EVER YEAR since the nat'l champ (barring 98), attendance DECREASED!

HMmmm... maybe, just maybe, since the nat'l champ, numbers in general have fallen.

These stats show me that basketball attendance has been trending down.  Frank "meddled" and told Stan to change the style of offense to draw in the crowds (per Mike Irwin).  You mentioned football attendance suffering in Houston's two loosing seasons.  Guess what... Frank "meddled" and forced him to hire an OC.  I believe we set a record in attendance this year didn't we???  There is no double standard with Frank.  There is one standard.  Money.  I don't like it... you may not like it... Heck, I imagine Frank isn't too fond of it either... but that's the way it works.

beachhawg

Quote from: RazorRedneck on December 12, 2006, 12:50:17 pm

Then explain why he made Nutt hire and OC

So he could pick up a few nationally recruited players from his own back yard.  Do you not realize the fall out if he would have not gotten the blue chippers from his own yard?

Hong Kong Sooey

December 12, 2006, 01:21:14 pm #91 Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 01:32:43 am by Hong Kong Sooey
Quote from: hogs dont cry on December 12, 2006, 01:00:44 pm

So let me get this straight, If you question anything Chuck Barrett or Rick Schaeffer say, it's because you're going against the UA spin machine.

If you question anything Mike Irwin says you aren't smart enough to see the truth if it hit you in the groin.  Awesome logic there, HKS. 

Maybe the intellegent people are questioning everything, no matter who it's coming from.
And maybe people with discernment can figure out who is selling a spavined mule.  Mike I. puts his credibility on the line for Hogville every day.  If you think he's lying, why are you even here?  Mike's credibility IS Hogville.

OKhogfan1959

i honestly think Mike is the most honest of the media people..I don't think he would ever hurt the program! I know he has some kin of balls to just lay it out there..
Great job Mike.

hogoh

Wait a second.  I thought the "story" was that JFB forced Nutt to start MM after the USC loss to maintain ticket sales.  Assuming that to be the case, that hardly sounds like an AD who has his hands of the football team's offense, vis-a-vis the basketball team.

willkhitey

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 12, 2006, 01:21:14 pm

And maybe people with discernment can't figure out who is selling a spavined mule.  Mike I. puts his credibility on the line for Hogville every day.  If you think he's lying, why are you even here?  Mike's credibility IS Hogville.

I'm certainly not calling the man a liar, but I reserve the right to disagree with his opinions. Much of what he says he believes is happening is taken as fact-based reporting -- through no fault of his own -- by readers/listeners who have difficulty discerning opinion from news, be it in print, msg brd or radio.

Personally, I question everything I see. It's just my nature.
"What a terrible waste it is to lose one's mind"
--Dan Quayle, speaking to the NAACP

gwhog

Get your stats right if you are going to make a point Mike.
2006 stats: 505 rushing plays vs 270 passing......Not quite 80\20 ratio.

Da Porker

You know why we have HDN as coach - because very few in the coaching world were interested in coaching under the master of all meddlers....

Yes - HDN ran a very wide open offense in MSU, BSU and even the 1st year or so at UA - FB squleched that as soon as attendence picked back up at the football games...

I went to school at UA - crossed paths with FB and I can tell you firstahnd - he cares nothing about the students at the UofA...

His concern is boosters and money - no more or less....

He is 25 years late in retiring - and he would have already been gone, but our spineless legislature changed the law so he wasn't forced to retire...

All I want for xmas is FB gone from the UofA...it would immediately become a much better place...

Go Hogs!!!
Go Hogs

PigKahuna

Why don't you interview Frank and ask him?

cardinalhawg

December 12, 2006, 01:46:23 pm #98 Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:59:17 pm by cardinalhawg

I would question whether or not Broyles lets Nutt run the offense he thinks is best.  If Broyles is the meddler as people say, then as long Nutt runs an offense to suit Broyles, then things would be well.  Even so, if Nutt was forced to hire Malzahn, then that would not be just letting Nutt do as he chooses, if Nutt hired Malzahn against his will.  I would figure both Heath and Nutt face that from Broyles, especially Heath being a younger coach.  Perhaps, Broyles likes to hire mostly up and comers, since he could influence them more.

Personally, I believe Broyles should stay out of how coaches run their offense as well as anyone else, but if coaches ask for advice, then he could offer it.

I would give Broyles credit for a number of positive things, but I do believe his involvement holds the football program and sometimes the basketball program back at times.

cardinalhawg

I guess the different message boards and media outlets balance each other out.  One might have a source that is anti-Nutt or one might have a source that is pro-Nutt and either source can skew things to their way of thinking.  I try to be open-minded to the idea that either source could be right or wrong.