Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the status of Atiga?

Started by Fan1958, July 16, 2011, 10:26:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan1958

Sorry if asked and answered, just haven't seen anything definitive.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Fan1958 on July 16, 2011, 10:26:13 pm
Sorry if asked and answered, just haven't seen anything definitive.

I believe that I read elsewhere that he recently (a day or two ago) confirmed that he will be on campus in Fayetteville by the end of July.  Keep in mind that he's a Juco, so he was not free to come early as HS grads could because he still had some business to take care of.

razorbackkid

Who is Atiga?  What position does he play?

Thanks.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Jon Ham

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

cpohog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 17, 2011, 03:48:14 am
When he does arrive I'm not expecting much from someone who misses Summer workouts with the team. Wherever he is I hope he has people who are making him give 110% in his workouts or he won't be ready in August.

This! Anthony Leon comes to mind...Juco player missed summer W/O definitely hurt his play that first year.

Pig Worshipper

Obviously it would be ideal if a Juco transfer came in and was so outstanding that he took a starting position right away but aren't we really just needing him to add more depth to the linebacking corps?

Hog Fan from Camden

When he does arrive I'm not expecting much from someone who misses Summer workouts with the team. Wherever he is I hope he has people who are making him give 110% in his workouts or he won't be ready in August.
Hope he is at least ready to provide depth by the BAMA game.  Our defensive scheme seems to be almost complex as our offensive one.

booogaga

He was a 4 star am I correct. A pretty big last second addition on signing day?
GO HOGS!

FANONTHEHILL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQed32PLUts

Here is a video link of his high school senior year.  He is up to
6'3" 240 and is runnning a 4.5. 
He will provide depth at LB for sure this year.  Utah, Boise State, Oregon St. and Washington were all after him and John L. Smith landed him or us.  Great pickup.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 18, 2011, 06:08:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQed32PLUts

Here is a video link of his high school senior year.  He is up to
6'3" 240 and is runnning a 4.5. 
He will provide depth at LB for sure this year.  Utah, Boise State, Oregon St. and Washington were all after him and John L. Smith landed him or us.  Great pickup.

I hope that he really does well at Arkansas and what I like about him outside of his athletic ability as a player is, if you notice, he frequently seems to be picking his opponent up and tapping them on the helmet as if to say, "next time, man" or "good effort". I like a kid who first and foremost hands someone their head and then still exhibits good sportsmanship after the play.
Go Hogs Go!

Tomhog™

He will end up playing before he fully understands the scheme, unfortunately.  The same thing happened with Leon and he got burned multiple times.  At least Atiga won't be the last line of defense if he makes similar miscues.

Pigsknuckles

When I think 4 star juco, I think academic problems. When I see that a juco misses summer W/O's, I think summer school to take care of said academic problems. would this be accurate here? Previous poster mentioned Anthony Leon. Sounds familiar.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

GuvHog

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on July 18, 2011, 09:10:15 am
When I think 4 star juco, I think academic problems. When I see that a juco misses summer W/O's, I think summer school to take care of said academic problems. would this be accurate here? Previous poster mentioned Anthony Leon. Sounds familiar.

I don't believe Leon arrived until the day pre-season practice started. Atiga is scheduled to arrive very soon so he'll have more time to learn than Leon did. Also, Leon came in as a DB and had to learn the OLB position from the git-go while Atiga has been playing LB for years. Those 2 things will make a BIG difference.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RazorBassin

Does he have 3 to play 2 or 4 to play 3????

chitwnhog

Quote from: jj1121 on July 18, 2011, 09:24:53 am
[/quo
Quote from: Pigsknuckles on July 18, 2011, 09:10:15 am

If I remember correctly he was only in JC for one year and became eligible early and is finishing up academically now to be eligible this season rather than next. Not sure if that is correct or not. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: chitwnhog on July 18, 2011, 09:36:56 am
If I remember correctly he was only in JC for one year and became eligible early and is finishing up academically now to be eligible this season rather than next. Not sure if that is correct or not. 

I had heard that was the case re: Chris Stringer, but I hadn't heard that about Atiga.

Can anyone one confirm?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 18, 2011, 09:17:37 am
I don't believe Leon arrived until the day pre-season practice started. Atiga is scheduled to arrive very soon so he'll have more time to learn than Leon did. Also, Leon came in as a DB and had to learn the OLB position from the git-go while Atiga has been playing LB for years. Those 2 things will make a BIG difference.

You're in fine form today, GUV.

First, Leon didn't switch positions when he came in.  His first year here he was a safety.  He didn't switch positions until into camp before his SECOND year.

Second, Atiga is coming in July 31?  So you're telling us that the few days between then and when camp starts for the newcomers is going to just make a HUGE difference, huh?

I guess he'll have time to wash his underwear and catch up on sleep, perhaps.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

WizardofhOgZ

July 18, 2011, 11:13:30 am #18 Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:23:21 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: jj1121 on July 18, 2011, 09:24:53 am

He is a 3-to-play-3 guy, so he will see the field at least for some special teams and backup LB duty.  I had a post on here about folks not expecting too much, too soon from him just because his measurables fit the mold for a first line SEC linebacker.  I am excited that - in time - he may be an All conference type.  But history has shown us that it takes a while for Jucos to make the transition to this level of play.

Fortunately, we have him for 3 years instead of the usual 2, so anything he learns/does this season is gravy, and he should be a major contributor (if he's going to be one) by next season, and then we'll have him for two prime years.

For those not familiar with this guy, here's Otis' article when he signed late (in May):

http://www.arkansassports360.com/24924/otis-kirks-recruting-360-atiga-rounds-out-2011-class-razorbacks-turn-attention-to-2012-2013

Bigdavis

You should just stop.

booogaga

We have three cream puff teams to start the season. Hopefully he can get valuable playing time to get the schemes down. Hopefully he can contribute this season in some aspect.
GO HOGS!

RazorPiggie

Really??? You give terrible info.

Michael Porkleone

Leon played safety for the Hogs in 2009.

But thanks for playing. (and by playing, I mean making things up like you normally do)
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 18, 2011, 11:13:30 am
He is a 3-to-play-3 guy, so he will see the field at least for some special teams and backup LB duty.  I had a post on here about folks not expecting too much, too soon from him just because his measurables fit the mold for a first line SEC linebacker.  I am excited that - in time - he may be an All conference type.  But history has shown us that it takes a while for Jucos to make the transition to this level of play.

fortunately, we have him for 3 years instead of the usual 2, so anything he learns/does this season is gravy, and he should be a major contributor (if he's going to be one) by next season, and then we'll have him for two prime years.

For those not familiar with this guy, here's Otis' article when he signed late (in May):

http://www.arkansassports360.com/24924/otis-kirks-recruting-360-atiga-rounds-out-2011-class-razorbacks-turn-attention-to-2012-2013

Not sure how reliable the info is on Rivals with regard to his max bench, but if it is like the 330 (I think, can't recall for certain) that they quote, he's got some physical dvelopment to go through once he gets here.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorBassin

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 18, 2011, 11:13:30 am

fortunately, we have him for 3 years instead of the usual 2, so anything he learns/does this season is gravy, and he should be a major contributor (if he's going to be one) by next season, and then we'll have him for two prime years.

Thanks WOH!!!

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on July 18, 2011, 11:25:44 am
Really??? You give terrible info.

Your avatar made me think of something. Does he not remind you of Michael Scott? I mean the things that come  out of his mouth are so wrong that it is hilarious. I just in vision him looking over at a camera crew as soon as he hits the "post" button.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Bigdavis

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on July 20, 2011, 09:13:00 am
Your avatar made me think of something. Does he not remind you of Michael Scott? I mean the things that come  out of his mouth are so wrong that it is hilarious. I just in vision him looking over at a camera crew as soon as he hits the "post" button.

Good analogy because he's obviously not retarded. His posts contain proper structure, spelling and grammar most of the time. He's just wrong... about everything.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Bigdavis on July 20, 2011, 09:16:36 am
Good analogy because he's obviously not retarded. His posts contain proper structure, spelling and grammar most of the time. He's just wrong... about everything.

No he's not wrong about everything.

He's just like the rest of us -- he's sometimes wrong.

He just has trouble admitting it and changing his tune. (Stubborn as an Alabama Jack)

But don't go too hard on our Hogbuddy, GUVHOG.  No one on this site loves the Hogs more, or is more willing to go to battle for his beliefs.

And those are very admirable qualities in my book.

SSPK2505

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2011, 10:16:10 am
No he's not wrong about everything.

He's just like the rest of us -- he's sometimes wrong.

He just has trouble admitting it and changing his tune. (Stubborn as an Alabama Jack)

But don't go too hard on our Hogbuddy, GUVHOG.  No one on this site loves the Hogs more, or is more willing to go to battle for his beliefs.

And those are very admirable qualities in my book.

Man crush?

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

3BoarsDown

The good news is he has 3 years to play, he's going to be a contributor down the road.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SSPK2505 on July 20, 2011, 10:30:25 am
Man crush?

Sure.  I have a man crush on every poster on Hogville who is honest, knows at least a little about CFB, and loves the Hogs that much.

It's called brotherhood, dope.

Any other questions?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on July 20, 2011, 09:13:00 am

Whoa whoa, I cannot believe you would downgrade Michael Scott like that.

SSPK2505

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2011, 12:04:37 pm
Sure.  I have a man crush on every poster on Hogville who is honest, knows at least a little about CFB, and loves the Hogs that much.

It's called brotherhood, dope.

Any other questions?

Who is Robert Shields?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SSPK2505 on July 20, 2011, 12:31:29 pm
Who is Robert Shields?

Excellent question there, sir. 

I would investigate that to give you an answer, but I don't care who he is.