Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie Guide to Razorback Baseball and do’s and don’ts of Fayetteville?

Started by TexasDad, September 06, 2016, 05:46:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasDad

We will be coming to Fayetteville to watch some baseball scrimmages and with good fortune maybe some games this spring. I was hoping to get some advance scouting on where and where not to eat (a good brew pub?), nuances of the ballpark and other things in general that come with experience (to shorten the learning curve).

Looking forward to baseball season. WPS!

Dr. Starcs

Hard to beat Foghorns right across the street and behind right field.

The Mexican restaurant on top is pretty cool too to sit on the patio and see the park.

BroyledNutts

Regarding spring games:

Unless you are a season parking pass holder, you will be parking either in the parking lot across the street from the stadium, or in one of the lots nearby.

It would be a good idea not to attempt to approach the stadium from the North on Razorback road, as you will not be allowed to turn left at any point. Approach the stadium from the south if your intention is to park across the street. Scout your area to park regardless, and have a back up plan in case your first choice fills up quickly. For big opponents or significant conference games, it may be a good plan to park in lot 56 and shuttle down, unless you plan to be parked no later than 2 hrs prior to game time.

[Depending on the time of year you will visit], if you're seated on third base side, bring sun screen ... first base side, wear extra layers or bring a warm blanket.

If you want to listen to the radio broadcast while you watch the game, get a small radio with headphones of some type (walkman, headphone radio, etc) to listen to...using a phone app will usually result in the broadcast being at least a pitch or two behind. Actual radio will be closest to live play.

As always, everyone who visits is interested in taking the stroll on Dickson Street either before or after the game. There are lots of places to patronize, many with decent to good food and drink. Please bear in mind that all parking near Dickson Street will be pay parking - bring cash to feed the meter, and make sure to display your parking receipt as the instructions on it indicate - failing to do so, even slightly, will result in a ticket.

That's a few things I can think of ... hope that helps a little.

TexasDad

Thank you BroyledNuts (Wow, not sure that came out right...), that's some great info, and pretty much the type of stuff I was hoping to find out. Really looking forward to seeing the park - and watching a few games this season - maybe a practice or scrimmage as well. Thanks again!

TexasDad

outlawhogeywells

If you are looking for a good Brew Pub. then in Fayetteville Fossil Cove is by far the best.  It is not very close to the stadium,  Probably a 10-15 min drive north of campus.  On Poplar between Leverett and Gregg street. but well worth a visit.  try the La Brea Brown or the Oatey Stout,  If you like IPS's you are in luck since there are two or three on the menu.  And now that it is fall then there is a good chance that he will have a seasonal such as an octoberfest or a pumpkin.

bulldog04

If you get there at least an hour early, there will be tickets available for purchase outside the stadium.  Most of the time you can pick up really good seats.  I've gotten tickets behind home plate multiple times.

TexasDad

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on September 21, 2016, 09:58:33 am
If you are looking for a good Brew Pub. then in Fayetteville Fossil Cove is by far the best.  It is not very close to the stadium,  Probably a 10-15 min drive north of campus.  On Poplar between Leverett and Gregg street. but well worth a visit.  try the La Brea Brown or the Oatey Stout,  If you like IPS's you are in luck since there are two or three on the menu.  And now that it is fall then there is a good chance that he will have a seasonal such as an octoberfest or a pumpkin.

That's some great info - I'm pretty much over the IPA thing (A Dogfish Head 90 is still pretty good), but who gets tired of a a good brown, red, stout or porter... That's a must stop next time I'm in town. Thank you.

Quote from: bulldog04 on September 21, 2016, 06:51:14 pm
If you get there at least an hour early, there will be tickets available for purchase outside the stadium.  Most of the time you can pick up really good seats.  I've gotten tickets behind home plate multiple times.

If my son makes the team for Spring (they're carrying a lot of boys this fall) then apparently players get tickets above the 3rd base dugout? As stated before, assuming he hasn't given them away to a pretty girl? In which case, getting them on the sidewalk will be an option... Thanks.

ricepig

Quote from: TexasDad on September 22, 2016, 06:55:44 am
That's some great info - I'm pretty much over the IPA thing (A Dogfish Head 90 is still pretty good), but who gets tired of a a good brown, red, stout or porter... That's a must stop next time I'm in town. Thank you.

If my son makes the team for Spring (they're carrying a lot of boys this fall) then apparently players get tickets above the 3rd base dugout? As stated before, assuming he hasn't given them away to a pretty girl? In which case, getting them on the sidewalk will be an option... Thanks.

Yeah, one has to be really sure of himself when going against 50 other players for a roster spot, good luck to your son, and to all of the others who strive to represent our university.

woodhog14

Quote from: TexasDad on September 22, 2016, 06:55:44 am

Apple Blossom is a good brew pub that also has great food.

TexasDad