Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown XI

Started by clutch, February 20, 2017, 06:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Cards have won 6 out of last 7. Wong's been in the lineup everyday, Martinez almost everyday, and the outfield has consisted of the combination of Fowler/Piscotty/Grichuk, or Martinez subbing for one of them everyday during that stretch. If Matheny will stay with the lineup this team was built to have, they can win games. If he goes back to trying to squeeze Matt Adams and Peralta in then they will be in trouble.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Even with the injury bug, Cards playing some good baseball. I think Pham has earned his right to stay. He has been raking lately.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Well, look who's in first place. Sierra is fast.

snf6278

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 10, 2017, 05:45:12 pm
Well, look who's in first place. Sierra is fast.
He was rounding third about the same time Fowlers ball hit the wall. Very impressed with this young man.

The Hogfather

Quote from: snf6278 on May 10, 2017, 11:03:59 pm
He was rounding third about the same time Fowlers ball hit the wall. Very impressed with this young man.

Hope he can keep hitting like this.  He is very fun to watch.  Not sure what happened on that ball he dove for, though.  Should've caught that one.

pigture perfect

I thought when we lost 3 outfielders in 3 days that Bader would certainly be called up. I just don't have a clue as to what the outfield solution is. We are deep right now. I'm wondering who we could trade for whatever. I say that because of the lack of early draft picks next cycle.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 11, 2017, 08:01:03 pm
I thought when we lost 3 outfielders in 3 days that Bader would certainly be called up. I just don't have a clue as to what the outfield solution is. We are deep right now. I'm wondering who we could trade for whatever. I say that because of the lack of early draft picks next cycle.

Two words: Luis Robert
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

Sorry, It's late and I'm tired. Who is Luis Robert?

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 12, 2017, 01:26:13 am
Sorry, It's late and I'm tired. Who is Luis Robert?

Cuban outfielder, supposed to be a legit 5 tool guy. He can sign with any team on the 20th of May I believe. Top 10 prospect according to some. If I remember correctly, the Cardinals are already over their international signing figure and can't sign any international players for two years after this season. There would be no further penalties to sign Robert. There's a bit of a fit in that regard, especially when you consider the draft penalties forthcoming.

I think I read that he might begin his career as high as AA ball if the Cardinals sign him, he's supposedly that advanced. I'm smart enough to know that I know zilch about evaluating baseball talent, but I have seen video of him and he looks the part. I also know as a Razorback football fan that from time to time hype prospects are just that, hype.

If he is what they say he is I think the Cardinals could be players. They are one of the teams that had a private workout with him, so I guess there is at least some interest there. It will be interesting to watch it play out.

McKdaddy

Cards should petition for all road games.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

TomasPistola

Good win. I enjoy seeing the Cubs lose.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

McKdaddy

Excellent series.  Glad to see Waino look good.

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

Remember when the Cards were in 1st?  That was pretty cool.

#DrainTheNest

pigture perfect

The thread title for this year should be The Rundown Redbirds. Our starters have been doing a great job in my opinion. Our Bullpen is just awful. I hope this isn't the Brett Cecil we see for the next 3 1/2 years.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

pigture perfect

I like Matheny's demeanour as a manager. I think the GM is the one who needs to held accountable for resigning Braxton for this year and having to pay for nothing. Signing Brett Cecil, which could work out in the future, but mostly for the Correa scandal with the Astro's. That was MO's watch and his man. That effectively wounds our ability to draft top prospects.

popcornhog

I haven't been on this year much -- what do y'all think we need to do to right the ship?

Fire Matheny?

Ship KW, move MC permanently back to 3rd, start Gyorko permanently at 2nd and trade for a big time 1B bat?

Something else?

Winning 4 of the last 5 has been nice; but there are major issues. The thing is, it's still not too late to address some of these issues and win the division.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 10, 2017, 08:27:17 pm
I like Matheny's demeanour as a manager. I think the GM is the one who needs to held accountable for resigning Braxton for this year and having to pay for nothing. Signing Brett Cecil, which could work out in the future, but mostly for the Correa scandal with the Astro's. That was MO's watch and his man. That effectively wounds our ability to draft top prospects.

Fair points, but Mo has made many very good moves and the Cardinals have been among baseball's best over the course of his tenure.
WPS

pigture perfect

Was MO's promotion(?) really a demotion? GM to director of baseball operations? I really believe it was a good move. After all, you can't fire everybody.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 05, 2017, 09:19:04 am
Was MO's promotion(?) really a demotion? GM to director of baseball operations? I really believe it was a good move. After all, you can't fire everybody.

No, bad as you may want it to be, it's not a demotion.

Theoretically a good move because it moves somebody that has the shrewd mentality that this organization has to survive by into a position that he will be able to have a different/higher view than he did have. Mozeliak is now less encumbered with the day to day stuff and can focus on the more long range.

I just hope it's not a 'this is what everybody else is doing' thing.

pigture perfect

i hope the rumours are true.

McKdaddy

jrulz83

The Cardinals need a trade. They need to deal some pitching and surplus outfielders to get a bat for today and tomorrow. The Cardinals need a bat in the heart of the order that is scary.

Stanton is pie in the sky, but I think Ozuna or Yelich are legitimate possibilities. My thing about acquiring an outfielder is would that be the real place of need? Pham has played really well and should be here, but it may be time to sell high on him. Fowler isn't leaving and Piscotty is unlikely to be moved, and if Piscotty can start hitting a Fowler, Pham, Piscotty outfield would look pretty good. Yes, I'm for moving Fowler off of CF, his defense is lacking.

The Grichuk experiment doesn't need to be going on at the Major League level. Let him hack it out in AAA or see if he has some trade value, hopefully as part of a package for a legitimate bat and glove at SS.

I don't think the bullpen is as bad as it seems. I think it's going to round into form with Cecil looking better, Siegrist being healthy, and Duke's imminent return. However, some help out there wouldn't be the end of the world.

Anyway, here's hoping the Cardinals get to .500 today and can somehow play well enough and make the right moves to make this thing interesting down the stretch.

pigture perfect

The Cardinals do need to trade. Either pick up a great piece of the puzzle or sell off some of the marginal folks for prospects.

McKdaddy

jrulz83

What a mess of a season, most frustrating. Something has to change. If a major deadline deal isn't happening (it looks increasingly to me like one isn't), I want to see major changes this offseason. Everything should be on the table and I think everything is:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/mozeliak-cardinals-attitude-and-culture-might-need-a-shake-up/article_2d2b0b91-ebc3-5b40-8d28-1c5554f80348.html

McKdaddy

pigture perfect

McKdaddy

If not buyers, should've been sellers. One or the other, not standing still.

pigture perfect

I'm glad we kept Lynn because he has been the most consistent guy all year. I know we can't really get rid of Leake, because he has too many years on his contract. C-Mart is our future and Wainwright is the Wiley veteran. All in all the starting pitching has been a bright spot. The pen and lack of offense needs to be shaken up though. I wouldn't mind trading Carp. He's a decent player that could bring a good return I'd think. Wong is another expendable player as well.

jrulz83

I know the lack of a move is frustrating, but look at what the Cardinals had to offer. Lance Lynn is a #3 starter at best and I think that has more value to the Cardinals than the (and this is what you would have gotten at best) slightly above average and a below average prospect he would have returned.

Other pieces they may have moved weren't going to return much either. Grichuk and Piscotty are at the nadir of their value at the moment. Wong's position wasn't in demand, are light hitting second basemen ever really in demand? Oh and Rosenthal have both been terribly inconsistent and the market for relievers wasn't really there anyway.

The bottom line is this, the Cardinals have need of a dangerous bat. If Gyorko is your cleanup hitter, and this is in no way a knock against him as he has been one of the better if not best performers on this team, you have need for a bat or two. No team was moving impact bats at this deadline, the market wasn't there for the Cardinals to make a move..... Fans always seem to forget that it takes two teams to make a trade.

Their problem isn't the on field manager, it's roster construction. They know it and have admitted it. The question is will they find what they need this offseason.

pigture perfect

I agree that the on field manager (Matheny) is not the problem. I actually agree on most if not everything you just posted. I have been a bit frustrated by the last 2 off seasons because of the lack of really good free agent signings.

McKdaddy

I would not completely absolve Matheny. He is the least of their problems as Jrulz thoroughly states far more pressing issues, but his hands are not blood-free. Fair?

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 04, 2017, 09:12:56 pm
I agree that the on field manager (Matheny) is not the problem. I actually agree on most if not everything you just posted. I have been a bit frustrated by the last 2 off seasons because of the lack of really good free agent signings.

Missing out on a couple big names (Price and Heyward) hurt, but I think not having to pay them the big money they were seeking is going to be a good thing.

This year the free agent crop doesn't look great for the kind of bat(s) that the Cardinals need. I think some trades are coming because it's the only way I can see acquiring the type of player(s) the Cardinals need. But again, it takes two motivated teams to pull off a trade.

At some point all these outfielders and supposed big time pitchers in the minors are going to have to get a shot or be moved along. You can't hoard them forever.

Floating Piscotty in a Sonny Gray deal was really interesting to me and it makes me think that nearly everything is on the table this winter. I hope it's an active offseason for Michael Girsch.

jrulz83

August 04, 2017, 10:36:03 pm #87 Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:56:57 pm by jrulz83
Quote from: McKdaddy on August 04, 2017, 09:56:32 pm
I would not completely absolve Matheny. He is the least of their problems as Jrulz thoroughly states far more pressing issues, but his hands are not blood-free. Fair?

Certainly not unfair, and I agree. I had quietly moved into the fire Matheny camp until I started looking at the roster and all the flaws and career worsts we're seeing. Now maybe some part of those career worsts could be pegged on Matheny and his style of management, but signing an $85 million CF that plays below average defense in CF when all we heard about was improving the defense all winter isn't on Matheny. Massaging Fowler's ego into LF is on Matheny though.

Depending so heavily on so many fairly unproven players, (Diaz, Grichuk, Piscotty, et. al.) isn't on Matheny. That's front office, and they admit that they haven't performed up to their very high bar. The frustrating thing is if they had put together a league average offense to go with the starting pitching this would be a first place team.

There's an old saying about not being able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Matheny has been handed a sow's ear by the front office, but he is responsible for the type of thread and needle that hold it together.

McKdaddy

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 04, 2017, 10:36:03 pm
Certainly not unfair, and I agree. I had quietly moved into the fire Matheny camp until I started looking at the roster and all the flaws and career worsts we're seeing. Now maybe some part of those career worsts could be pegged on Matheny and his style of management, but signing an $85 million CF that plays below average defense in CF when all we heard about was improving the defense all winter isn't on Matheny. Massaging Fowler's ego into LF is on Matheny though.

Depending so heavily on so many fairly unproven players, (Diaz, Grichuk, Piscotty, et. al.) isn't on Matheny. That's front office, and they admit that they haven't performed up to their very high bar. The frustrating thing is if they had put together a league average offense to go with the starting pitching this would be a first place team.

There's an old saying about not being able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Matheny has been handed a sow's ear by the front office, but he is responsible for the type of thread and needle that hold it together.

Good thoughts

McKdaddy

jrulz83

Fun game, the only problem was Leake has to stop the leaking. Five game win streaks are nice, let's hope they keep it rolling. Rally kitty name options? Yadi, Grand, 152 (I think that is how many appearances Moylan had made without taking a loss). In case you missed it:

popcornhog

This whole season has been a string of mediocrity combined with hope, due to the struggles of the division at large. While we've never been out of it, it hasn't felt like we were really in it until this week. Starting pitching has been pretty consistently good; relief pitching sucked early, fielding was inconsistent early, and the bats have been inconsistent most of the year.

But now with Fowler coming back and the order getting figured out and the pen clicking -- it's easy to see the Red Birds winning the central. Just one game behind the Cubs now -- it's gonna be a fun finish. Oh and by the way -- we get a series against the Cubs in STL the last week of the season!
WPS

pigture perfect

This is fun to watch. The only critique I can make after this week is that Leake needs to lose the mullet already. He's better off leaving it to Thor or DeGrom. He looks more like Joe Dirt than heroesque.

jrulz83

7 game win streak, who saw this coming? The way they're doing it is the most mystifying of all, the offense we all wanted to blow up has taken off. What I can't figure out is is it the pitching they're facing or is the offense really clicking? The fact of the business is this; I don't care, I'm just enjoying the ride.

hoghappy

Awesome streak. Cubs. Getting nervous. I like being in their heads.

McKdaddy

Take 'em any way you can get 'em.

Dropkick

Rosenthal to the 60 day DL

jbell96

Cards traded Mike Leake to the Mariners today. So happy we were able to get rid of his contract as it clears space for the team to resign Lance Lynn in the off season.

I like the idea of this for a 2018 rotation:

Martinez
Lynn
Weaver
Flaherty
Waino or Wacha

That's light years ahead of what we've had so far this year.

pigture perfect

I too like the trade of Leake today. Starters we have and Leake was the weakest of our top 5.

What a catch to save the game for the brew crew today. I thought Grichik had won it.

jrulz83

I liked the Leake signing, in theory it was what the Cardinals needed at the time. I also like trading him. I don't think that dumping his contract is going to affect signing Lynn in any way.

I tend to think that the Cardinals will be fine if they let Lynn walk, but with Wainwright aging and having some arm issues this year it would probably be good to go after Lynn if it's feasible. You also have Reyes coming off TJ surgery next year, so an innings guy will probably be a good idea to have around. One thing we know, the Cardinals are unlikely to overpay for Lynn.

The good news is Weaver and or Flaherty are going to get some good seasoning in the last part of this season.