Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red Shirt vs. Walk On vs. True Freshman?

Started by Sir Squeal-A-Lot, November 24, 2007, 06:10:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squeal-A-Lot

probably a stupid question, but ive heard these terms talked about alot this weekend, and im not exactly sure what they all are!!!
can anyone help clear this up for me?

(not sure this is the correct forum for this question)

thanks for any help...

:razorback:
beating the yellow laundry on the field seems to be a common practice in the SEC!!!

selfexplanatory

A Red Shirt Freshman is a student on an NCAA college sports team who was kept out of competition for a year in order to prolong his or her eligibility. Usually this is done to allow the student to be a "part" of the team in terms of learning, healing from injury, and/or conditioning, but not a participant in any of the contests/games/meets/etc.

The following year, they begin their 1st of 4 years of eligibility, or their "freshman" year of eligibility, even if they are sophomores in terms of academics. (urban dictionary.com)

Walk on -- player that is not on scholarship

True Freshman -- player who plays in games and has not used a redshirt.

This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

Sir Squeal-A-Lot

Quote from: selfexplanatory on November 24, 2007, 06:17:27 pm
A Red Shirt Freshman is a student on an NCAA college sports team who was kept out of competition for a year in order to prolong his or her eligibility. Usually this is done to allow the student to be a "part" of the team in terms of learning, healing from injury, and/or conditioning, but not a participant in any of the contests/games/meets/etc.

The following year, they begin their 1st of 4 years of eligibility, or their "freshman" year of eligibility, even if they are sophomores in terms of academics. (urban dictionary.com)

so, who decides if they "Red Shirt" or not?

True freshman... this is any player that doesnt come to the school on a scholarship?

again, thanks for helping me understand this...

beating the yellow laundry on the field seems to be a common practice in the SEC!!!

selfexplanatory

The coaches decide who "redshirts"

True Freshman is a freshman that has not redshirted (a player that plays in games as a freshman)

Walk on is the designation given to a player that is on the team, but NOT on scholarship.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

Sir Squeal-A-Lot

ok... thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!!!

:razorback:

DaleLoggins13

Quote from: selfexplanatory on November 24, 2007, 06:17:27 pm

a true freshman is a kid who either starts or plays a large roll in the games, and he just came out of high school
Everybody has a little creep inside them

jcmojica23

h0gfan6

Quote from: DaleLoggins13 on July 10, 2008, 01:06:46 am
a true freshman is a kid who either starts or plays a large roll in the games, and he just came out of high school

A true freshman is anyone who plays...at all...and just came out of high school.  Not just the good ones.  And, they are on scholarships.

hog49

Quote from: h0gfan6 on July 12, 2008, 10:22:48 pm
A true freshman is anyone who plays...at all...and just came out of high school.  Not just the good ones.  And, they are on scholarships.
Yep, they say "true freshman" to differentiate from a "red shirt freshman."  Redshirt freshman=academic sophomore=still has 4 years of eligibility...