Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many OLM do we sign on Wednesday?

Started by nwahogfan1, February 01, 2016, 11:18:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Quote from: opineonswine on February 01, 2016, 12:14:49 pm
And any hs OL coming in would be....unproven.

The one thing I know is BB believes the same way Saban does...you build a team on the offensive and defensive lines.

I get that.  I'm just saying that's why the situation is getting a bit scary.  Everyone is unproven at first.  But when you've got unproven guys with unproven guys behind them that's one thing.  When you've got unproven guys with walk ons and dust behind them, it gets a bit more serious.

PorkRinds

Quote from: opineonswine on February 01, 2016, 12:16:42 pm
I think his recruiting HAS reflected that.  Losing the coach is a big deal.

It was bad before we lost Pittman.  He seems to have been asleep at the wheel the last year or so...

ricepig

Quote from: COCHISE on February 01, 2016, 12:16:01 pm
"Had" yes. I'm talking about going into the '16 season.

We have Merrick, Jackson, Allen, Wallace, Rogers, Rodriguez, Malone, and hopefully 1 more to find 3 starters and backups out of.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: opineonswine on February 01, 2016, 12:14:49 pm
And any hs OL coming in would be....unproven.

The one thing I know is BB believes the same way Saban does...you build a team on the offensive and defensive lines.

We're talking about building for the future, not playing freshman OL.  You build with SEC caliber OL signed out of HS.  Maybe sprinkle in a JUCO here and there to fill gaps that inevitably develop.  We know BB wants to build a team from the lines out, but sometimes we strikeout on recruiting the guys we want to use as the building blocks.  This year looks like one of those times.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

opineonswine

We're all on the same page here.  And I think BB is too.  Hiring Coach Anderson was a big step and I could see him being better than Pittman which is always what Bielema tries to accomplish.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2016, 12:17:09 pm
We're talking about building for the future, not playing freshman OL.  You build with SEC caliber OL signed out of HS.  Maybe sprinkle in a JUCO here and there to fill gaps that inevitably develop.  We know BB wants to build a team from the lines out, but sometimes we strikeout on recruiting the guys we want to use as the building blocks.  This year looks like one of those times.

No doubt, we needed 2 high school tackles in this class, it was a miss.

scruf

Hogs will have added 5 OL (2 OG, 3 OT) between January and August:

1 HS OG (Heinrich)
1 HS OT (Hall)
1 JUCO OG (Malone)
1 JUCO OT (Ramirez)
1 Transfer OT (Tuley-Tillman)

It's a band-aid until Coach KA gets a year on the trail to add 4 HS players and probably 1 JUCO. The following year should be all HS players unless there's a Tretola-type talent available. Important to remember that if things work out as planned then CKA would end up being responsible for 3 OT since his arrival.

Wildhog

Quote from: opineonswine on February 01, 2016, 12:16:42 pm
I think his recruiting HAS reflected that.  Losing the coach is a big deal.

Even before Pittman left, we weren't on many HS linemen.

But yes, Pittman leaving did hurt us.  Now we need a lot of HS OL in 2017.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

PigWig

OT:  Wallace (Soph), Jackson (FR)
OG:  Ragnow (JR), Malone (JR), Heinrich (FR)
C:  Rogers (FR), Ragnow (JR)
OG:  Allen (FR)/Merrick (FR)
OT:  Skipper (SR), Ramirez (JR), Gibson (SO)

OT:  Wallace (JR), Jackson (SO)
OG:  Ragnow (SR), Malone (SR), Heinrich (RSFR)
C:  Rogers (SO), Ragnow (SR)
OG:  Allen (SO)/Merrick (SO)
OT:  Ramirez (SR), Gibson (JR)

OT:  Wallace (SR) OR Jackson (JR)
OG:  Allen (JR), Heinrich (SO)
C:  Rogers (JR)
OG:  Merrick (JR), Heinrich (SO)
OT:  Wallace (SR) OR Gibson (SR)

So basically you're set for at least 2 years, and have parts of your line set for 3 years.  Again, I don't see the drama here.  We'll sign a class of 4-5 OL next year, hopefully headlined with a big time OT, and keep on trucking.

Wildhog

Quote from: PigWig on February 01, 2016, 12:36:08 pm

So basically you're set for at least 2 years, and have parts of your line set for 3 years.  Again, I don't see the drama here.  We'll sign a class of 4-5 OL next year, hopefully headlined with a big time OT, and keep on trucking.

Assuming we have no injuries ever, and 100% of our jucos and walk-ons pan out, sure.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Rogers and Allen will be  sophomores next year(2016).

PigWig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 12:39:11 pm
Assuming we have no injuries ever, and 100% of our jucos and walk-ons pan out, sure.
Not many college teams go a full two deep on the OL, and we are beyond a two deep for the next two seasons.  Also the only walk-on listed is Gibson, and that is because the coaches absolutely gush about him every chance they get. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 12:39:11 pm
Hopefully, we avoid the long arm of Mr. Murphy's Law.

Wildhog

Quote from: PigWig on February 01, 2016, 12:43:14 pm
Not many college teams go a full two deep on the OL, and we are beyond a two deep for the next two seasons.  Also the only walk-on listed is Gibson, and that is because the coaches absolutely gush about him every chance they get. 

Actually, yes, a lot of college teams go two-deep on the OL.  I'd even say that MOST big time programs do, but I'd need to do the research to back that up. That doesn't mean that the full two-deep plays, but they're there if needed.
1909/1964/1965/1977

cardinalandwhite

What if Wallace has a banner year this year and declares? He's draft eligible after the season. Not saying he will, but it's possible.

Also, any of our younger guys have a tackle skill set? Maybe Ragnow?
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

PigWig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 12:44:48 pm
Actually, yes, a lot of college teams go two-deep on the OL.  That doesn't mean that the full two-deep plays, but they're there if needed.
Then what exactly is your point?  There's a full two deep there for 2016 and 2017, beyond a two deep at a few spots, and this doesn't even include walk-ons outside of Gibson who seems like a shoe in for PT.

Wildhog

Quote from: PigWig on February 01, 2016, 12:48:45 pm
Then what exactly is your point?  There's a full two deep there for 2016 and 2017, beyond a two deep at a few spots, and this doesn't even include walk-ons outside of Gibson who seems like a shoe in for PT.

I don't know what else can be said.  If you don't get it, then you just don't get it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 12:44:48 pm
Actually, yes, a lot of college teams go two-deep on the OL.  I'd even say that MOST big time programs do, but I'd need to do the research to back that up. That doesn't mean that the full two-deep plays, but they're there if needed.

How many play backups, outside of garbage time? I agree that OL need a few years, generally, in the program. Of course, there's always a few OT'S that seem to step in and play.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: duckman on February 01, 2016, 11:40:40 am
We are supposedly on 2 more that have yet to be mentioned.  Would be good until CKA has a chance to get rolling for next year.  I really think CKA will be worth his weight in gold,, and that's a lotta damn gold...

JUCO or HS?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2016, 12:51:33 pm
How many play backups, outside of garbage time? I agree that OL need a few years, generally, in the program. Of course, there's always a few OT'S that seem to step in and play.

Not many. I thought I pretty much acknowledged that in the post you quoted. Like I've said numerous times, it's about the future.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PigWig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 12:49:09 pm
I don't know what else can be said.  If you don't get it, then you just don't get it.
Maybe you don't get it since the coaches obviously prioritized more pressing needs like replacing two NFL draft picks in the backfield, shoring up a razor-thin LB corp, getting some instant impact DL to fix our pass rush, and making a late push for a future NFL WR and CB over signing a 3 more HS OL who would redshirt and not see the field for at least 3 more years.

Every class has different needs.  In this class we desperately needed RBs, LBs, and DL to replace the guys leaving this year and the large DL crop leaving after next year.  These JuCo OL will fill in some holes, and we'll recruit a large HS OL class in 2017.

Uncommon

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 12:56:10 pm
Not many. I thought I pretty much acknowledged that in the post you quoted. Like I've said numerous times, it's about the future.

And we've acknowledged we need more OL, so I think this topic has been thoroughly discussed and put to bed. Next!

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2016, 12:58:42 pm

And we've acknowledged we need more OL, so I think this topic has been thoroughly discussed and put to bed. Next!

I can't argue with that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hollywood hog

Quote from: opineonswine on February 01, 2016, 11:56:43 am
Not surprising when your OL Coach bails on you right before signing day.  You also have to suspect his effort was also not his best while plotting his reuniting with Cheney.

I keep wondering if he whispered something into Diesch's ear months back and what happened with Bolles. 

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PigWig on February 01, 2016, 12:58:21 pm
Maybe you don't get it since the coaches obviously prioritized more pressing needs like replacing two NFL draft picks in the backfield, shoring up a razor-thin LB corp, getting some instant impact DL to fix our pass rush, and making a late push for a future NFL WR and CB over signing a 3 more HS OL who would redshirt and not see the field for at least 3 more years.

Every class has different needs.  In this class we desperately needed RBs, LBs, and DL to replace the guys leaving this year and the large DL crop leaving after next year.  These JuCo OL will fill in some holes, and we'll recruit a large HS OL class in 2017.

They'll recruit a large HS class in 2017, because it will be imperative.  I seriously doubt 10 months ago the recruiting plan for the OL was to sign 4, with 3 being transfers.  Seriously doubt it.  This likely isn't about the coaches prioritizing other needs above the OL position.  It's likely about them striking out at the OL position.  I'm sure Pittman's situation, before and after his departure, is the primary culprit.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

scruf

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 01:00:11 pm
I can't argue with that.

But can we take a minute and talk about the offensive line?

scruf

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2016, 01:03:05 pm
They'll recruit a large HS class in 2017, because it will be imperative.  I seriously doubt 10 months ago the recruiting plan for the OL was to sign 4, with 3 being transfers.  Seriously doubt it.  This likely isn't about the coaches prioritizing other needs above the OL position.  It's likely about them striking out at the OL position.  I'm sure Pittman's situation, before and after his departure, is the primary culprit.

Yep. Yep. and Yep.

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 01:01:22 pm
You should see my collection of piss jars.
I had a lot myself.  Then, Devwah Whaley committed and my RB Recruiting Phobia went away and I went back out into the world.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PigWig on February 01, 2016, 12:58:21 pm

Coach B said we wanted at least 5 OL this cycle...

duckman

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

scruf

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 01, 2016, 01:10:30 pm
Coach B said we wanted at least 5 OL this cycle...

They will add 5 OL this cycle just not in the way anyone expected.

Wildhog

Quote from: scruf on February 01, 2016, 01:18:23 pm

And 80% of them will be gone after the 2017 season. 

Yeah, we're just going in circles with this debate.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: scruf on February 01, 2016, 01:18:23 pm

Right now there is three...

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 01:17:03 pm
And 80% of them will be gone after the 2017 season. 

Yeah, we're just going in circles with this debate.

There's no rule against redshirting a 3 to play 2 JUCO transfer.

Wildhog

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on February 01, 2016, 01:24:20 pm
There's no rule against redshirting a 3 to play 2 JUCO transfer.

There's not, I doubt we do.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 01:28:06 pm
There's not, I doubt we do.

I don't think we can redshirt Ramirez,  and don't think we will redshirt Malone. That said, I wouldn't put it past CBB to find a tackle project and do exactly that. It would at least kick the can down a year. He originally wanted Speight to RS, right?

scruf

Wildhog

Quote from: scruf on February 01, 2016, 01:38:06 pm
Malone
Ramirez
Heinrich
Tuley-Tillman
Hall

Please stop including walk-ons in that number.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Malone
Ramirez
Heinrich
Tuley-Tillman
Hall

Hall is a walk on, and Tuley-Tillman may only exist in our imagination.

PorkRinds

Malone
Ramirez
Heinrich
Tuley-Tillman
Hall

You included a walk on and a guy who may or may not come here....