Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would an early signing period in FB help or hurt Arkansas?

Started by TM Hog, January 31, 2016, 07:39:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TM Hog

Sometimes I think it would help to get these early commitments signed before they start to rethink things but then I remind myself how we have benefited from flips late in the game also. I do know that this has been a subject of discussion with the NCAA.

colbs

Hurt IMO.  If there was an early signing period we might have not got Whaley or had a chance with Marshall or Cleveland.  This best thing that could happen to Arkansas would be if the NCAA would allow schools to pay for family on official visits. Also, allowing schools to pay for players travel during Christmas or fall break and allowing schools to pay for parents travel to games.

TM Hog

Quote from: colbs on January 31, 2016, 07:43:23 pm
Hurt IMO.  If there was an early signing period we might have not got Whaley or had a chance with Marshall or Cleveland.  This best thing that could happen to Arkansas would be if the NCAA would allow schools to pay for family on official visits. Also, allowing schools to pay for players travel during Christmas or fall break and allowing schools to pay for parents travel to games.

I agree with you also. I traveled with my brother on an official visit to OU once and it was weird that I had to pay for all my own expenses. We didn't want him to travel alone. The coach gave me a ride in his van and I had to reimburse his mileage. Lol

hawginbigd1

I think it would help, I think we would be able to sign more top tier guys early, and the big boys would be mostly full, and can't play the pulling offers and horsing in on others recruits, near as much.

OGR69

paying for the recruit and at least 1 family member should be passed-even if it is just travel (plane ticket).  When we traveled with my son-we had to buy plane tickets, but shared a room with him-and our meals.  Made the budget tight to fly to Annapolis from Dallas, but we wanted to see the campus and have questions answered.  We met with coaches-advisors-players-parents.  Same with our other trips (but they were a lot closer so we drove).
I know it is/was his choice-but we wanted to know what was what-what was it like-who would he be around.  Eating a meal with Coach Ken at Navy was surreal-and after 20 minutes, we were at ease!

sickboy

Quote from: colbs on January 31, 2016, 07:43:23 pm

Yeah, but we would have signed Pollard. It's all relative. Timing of when a kid commits or doesn't commit to a school can't really be timed.

Oliver

Quote from: sickboy on January 31, 2016, 10:24:11 pm
Yeah, but we would have signed Pollard. It's all relative. Timing of when a kid commits or doesn't commit to a school can't really be timed.

Or Pollard wouldn't have committed to us with the early signing rules.  He might have committed to us early solely as a mitigation plan

ShadowHawg

It would help the programs whose coaching staffs are strong evaluators. There are a lot kids who get offered late by football elite types that have been committed elsewhere for months. Those kids would be the ones who sign early to secure a spot on a quality roster.

Right now, there is little reason for these kids to remain true to a commitment. They commit early to secure that spot and then continue to shop for their final destinations based in large part on who comes calling the closer signing day comes.

I would love to see an early signing period for football. I think schools like ours would benefit tremendously.

sickboy

Quote from: Oliver on January 31, 2016, 10:34:17 pm
Or Pollard wouldn't have committed to us with the early signing rules.  He might have committed to us early solely as a mitigation plan

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows. You can't predict things that can't be predicted.

Hognspace

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 01, 2016, 02:51:29 am
It would help the programs whose coaching staffs are strong evaluators. There are a lot kids who get offered late by football elite types that have been committed elsewhere for months. Those kids would be the ones who sign early to secure a spot on a quality roster.

Right now, there is little reason for these kids to remain true to a commitment. They commit early to secure that spot and then continue to shop for their final destinations based in large part on who comes calling the closer signing day comes.

I would love to see an early signing period for football. I think schools like ours would benefit tremendously.

It might just slow down the commits they would hold off until the late period.

lefty08

Quote from: Hognspace on February 01, 2016, 05:58:21 am

This is what I think would happen. Those that are worthy of the offers just wouldn't commit till later, those that are borderline would jump an offer. It would keep teams like bama and Tennessee from offering 250 kids and pulling offers a week before NSD though
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Seminole Indian

It would save some some time and money, but have  little overall effect on where schools finish in the rankings because the factors that effect a schools recruiting from year to year are rather tangible, and still there regardless.

Might prevent a school capitalizing on a great year by finishing a little higher up the food chain than normal.

Of course it would  hurt athletes who are late bloomers.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

longpig

An early signing period would  shift the evaluations, offers and verbal commitments more into the junior year.  That's not good for anyone other than kids who peak their junior year.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Hognspace on February 01, 2016, 05:58:21 am

True, it would be smart for a kid to wait till later to see who he'll actually be playing for/with. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Wildhog

There would be positives and negatives, but I think it'd hurt more than help.

We need more time to get recruits on the Hill.  An early signing period would really help all the schools located in recruiting hotbeds.  Like they need any more advantages.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DCimport

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-coaches-split-proposed-2016-early-signing-period/

How would the coaching carousels (Dec to Feb) effect  those who sign durring the early signing period that would be in Late Nov?  Would you be granted a waiver if your head coach + assistants are now at another school?

opineonswine

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on February 01, 2016, 11:12:50 am
There would be positives and negatives, but I think it'd hurt more than help.

We need more time to get recruits on the Hill.  An early signing period would really help all the schools located in recruiting hotbeds.  Like they need any more advantages.

Yep.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hawgar The Horrible

Chaos for the early signees when their coaches get canned or make a career move elsewhere.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.