Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Big Finish

Started by scruf, January 31, 2016, 10:04:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

presidenthog

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 31, 2016, 01:40:34 pm
With Singleton on the staff our OK recruiting may kick up a notch.

I like Biggus' suggestion that by the time we got "in" on Jacobs we were needing to sell the notion we'd take the first two of - White, Whaley, Porter and Pennamon that wanted to commit. With Porter the only one on the table (until Pennamon's recent decommit) we went all-in with Porter.
Pennamon decommitted??

edit: no decommit so I'm not sure what you are saying there.

Oklahawg

Quote from: presidenthog on January 31, 2016, 01:59:42 pm
Pennamon decommitted??

edit: no decommit so I'm not sure what you are saying there.

Read a report that Pennamon decommitted over the OM NCAA issue. Must not have been accurate. My mistake.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HOGS82

A recent article from Scout states that Pennamon will choose between Ole Miss, Bama, & Texas A&M

http://www.scout.com/college/ole-miss/story/1637980-pennamon-undecided
Quote from: mindemon on November 24, 2023, 06:58:31 pmThe 'Fire Sam Pittman' crowd are going to be eating their words next year. Trust me.

Country Stylz

Man that Joshua Jacobs is one of the most explosive backs I've seen this year. I'll take what we can get though. Porter is an all around awesome back and a 4 year guy. And I also think Cleveland would be the most talented WR we have ever signed. Just based off film.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 31, 2016, 01:16:06 pm
Tulsa World this morning had an article on Joshua Jacobs, Tulsa McLain RB. His recruiting has absolutely exploded. He visited Missouri and Alabama both this weekend. We didn't have room, apparently, as he wanted a visit but didn't get one. No UA mention in the TW article. Tells me something about Porter.

Tells me we might be more unorganized than you think with our recruiting plan and didn't know about him.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ricepig

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 31, 2016, 05:19:33 pm
Tells me we might be more unorganized than you think with our recruiting plan and didn't know about him.

So, that's how you read his post, interesting.

Huckleberry Pig

or coaches feel may feel good about porter

thebignasty

Non one knew about him until 2 weeks ago, I guess everyone is disorganized.

thebignasty

fullfan

Looking like Hogs finish with:
Porter
Marshall
Tillman
Minus- Pollard.

Puts the hogs at 22 since Tillman does not count against the 25.  Possibly another left field type name that got squeezed out on NSD.

TM Hog

I like our class, but where do we rank compared to the rest of SEC. We have got to find a way to get over the hump in recruiting. I want to finish strong!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

1 out of 4.  it'll be the lowest ranked of the bunch fwiw.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

greenie

Quote from: TM Hog on January 31, 2016, 05:46:23 pm
I like our class, but where do we rank compared to the rest of SEC. We have got to find a way to get over the hump in recruiting. I want to finish strong!

Getting "over the hump" is either a long, arduous process (which is what we're doing) or an Ole Miss $$$ approach (much faster).  I like how we're doing it, although it is a roller coaster.

King Kong

Quote from: fullfan on January 31, 2016, 05:27:46 pm
Looking like Hogs finish with:
Porter
Marshall
Tillman
Minus- Pollard.

Puts the hogs at 22 since Tillman does not count against the 25.  Possibly another left field type name that got squeezed out on NSD.

Tillman won't be announced until after he graduates

BoynamedWooPigSooie

This I can buy.

ricepig

Quote from: TM Hog on January 31, 2016, 05:46:23 pm

In terms of recruiting services rankings, or filling our needs? We appear to fall short at OL, but with one more RB will hit that and hit our LB numbers.

MuskogeeHogFan

Or maybe not working Oklahoma all that hard.
Go Hogs Go!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Oklahoma was Pittman's territory right?

If so. The case is solved.

texas tush hog

Quote from: presidenthog on January 31, 2016, 11:59:29 am
I don't and it's time to move on from that one. RD has stated that ship has sailed.

He would know better than Richard would, trust me. Glad to see you weigh in at this late date mizzuno.

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on January 31, 2016, 05:59:05 pm
Oklahoma was Pittman's territory right?

If so. The case is solved.

"Uhh, don't worry Bret, I've got Oklahoma covered. Hey Jim, you got a good gumbo recipe?"

Vantage 8 dude

Oh come on Jim!! Is that really the best interpretation you can get out of this? Crazy as this may sound to you just perhaps there were other factors at work that might have prevented a visit to the Hill. Nah, that couldn't be a possibility. Might make too much sense otherwise....so just "shoot from the lip".

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on January 31, 2016, 05:54:56 pm
This I can buy.
Then again, some folks will buy just about anything. :puke:

NLRHog92

Gotta say, "The Big Finish" isn't shaping up to as big as I hoped or thought it could. Smith, Walker, Hays, are 3 lowest rated recruits and all 3 have committed within last week. Also really strange for us to settle with a JUCO OT that wasn't our first choice, as well as an in-state kid that I don't think anybody saw getting offers, despite him receiving other P5 offers recently. There's still Porter, Fulton, Cleveland, Bundage and Jones (?) on the table, just doesn't seem likely to land them (with exception of Bundage). I think Porter, while he was surprised and enjoyed his visit here, ends up at UT and Fulton stays home to be a swamp kitty. I'm 50/50 on Cleveland, but I'm going with my gut and don't see him as a Hog. Bundage I thought we were out of the running for and was a foregone conclusion he was a Poke, but has received a few CB predictions lately to UA, so holding out hope. All has gone quiet on Jones and most have said he'll be a whorn. Jacobs would be a great get this late too if Porter doesn't sign here, but doesn't seem interested as he visited Bama last weekend and also got offered by OU. If we're not able to close on any of the aforementioned and we hold on to everyone else, that's 22 and I'm sure there'll be a surprise come Wednesday morning. It's not for the lack of trying by these coaches, they've done a TREMENDOUS job and gone against some of the best since they've been here and so many top guys came and visited, which we all know as key. As a whole, seems to be best class since they've been here and best I've seen Hogs get in quite awhile, so I'm loving the upward trending momentum! Not trying to come across as bashing any of these guys. I trust in the coaches and you never know which ones will end up being successful, but it does feel like we've settled a bit. I truly hope these guys develop and become playmakers for the Hogs, and time will tell, it just doesn't APPEAR (still outside chance it could go the other way) that we ended up with the big finish we had all hoped for.

FWF79

It's the same every year...  This class seems a little better than our normal one though

jjdlc

Quote from: NLRHog92 on February 02, 2016, 06:56:41 am
Gotta say, "The Big Finish" isn't shaping up to as big as I hoped or thought it could. Smith, Walker, Hays, are 3 lowest rated recruits and all 3 have committed within last week. Also really strange for us to settle with a JUCO OT that wasn't our first choice, as well as an in-state kid that I don't think anybody saw getting offers, despite him receiving other P5 offers recently. There's still Porter, Fulton, Cleveland, Bundage and Jones (?) on the table, just doesn't seem likely to land them (with exception of Bundage). I think Porter, while he was surprised and enjoyed his visit here, ends up at UT and Fulton stays home to be a swamp kitty. I'm 50/50 on Cleveland, but I'm going with my gut and don't see him as a Hog. Bundage I thought we were out of the running for and was a foregone conclusion he was a Poke, but has received a few CB predictions lately to UA, so holding out hope. All has gone quiet on Jones and most have said he'll be a whorn. Jacobs would be a great get this late too if Porter doesn't sign here, but doesn't seem interested as he visited Bama last weekend and also got offered by OU. If we're not able to close on any of the aforementioned and we hold on to everyone else, that's 22 and I'm sure there'll be a surprise come Wednesday morning. It's not for the lack of trying by these coaches, they've done a TREMENDOUS job and gone against some of the best since they've been here and so many top guys came and visited, which we all know as key. As a whole, seems to be best class since they've been here and best I've seen Hogs get in quite awhile, so I'm loving the upward trending momentum! Not trying to come across as bashing any of these guys. I trust in the coaches and you never know which ones will end up being successful, but it does feel like we've settled a bit. I truly hope these guys develop and become playmakers for the Hogs, and time will tell, it just doesn't APPEAR (still outside chance it could go the other way) that we ended up with the big finish we had all hoped for.

Hays was offered as a Gray shirt, that means the coaches still believe there is a possibility they are going to fill the class...

drocktulsa

Quote from: NLRHog92 on February 02, 2016, 06:56:41 am

Could be wrong, but I'm hearing Hays will get a scholarship under the condition we don't use all 25 scholarships on NSD -- otherwise he is a grayshirt/preferred walk-on

ceegar

I agree with most.  Not much different than most years.  The late flip from Marshall is a surprise though.  Glad to have one of OSU's top recruits.  Hopefully we will get another one in Bundage.  I too think Fulton signs with LSU.  But I think unless we here something on another RB today we will sign Porter.  Cleveland will go to TCU.  Jones....I think we got him to visit and that's about it.  He is Texas bound.  So IMO we will close with the following.
Porter, Bundage, Hays(gets the schollie).  Leaving 1 open schollie for Tillman when he gets his stuff squared away.
This is still a really good class with lots of needs addressed.  But all in all just a couple of ticks up from typical Hog class rankings. 
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

NLRHog92

Quote from: jjdlc on February 02, 2016, 07:13:56 am
Hays was offered as a Gray shirt, that means the coaches still believe there is a possibility they are going to fill the class...

It was stated to be a scholarship offer and accepted by Mr. Hays, but yes I guess it could be a contingent offer. Again, there could be surprises as there usually is, but we're not sure who is left on the coaches board except the 4 main guys. If we were to somehow get 3 of those guys, then it's nice to know he would be willing to accept the gray shirt offer because he truly wants to be a Hog! Say we were to only get Bundage. Is there someone else out there that didn't take an OV the coaches are willing to sign? If there's no Porter, are we going after Ragas or would Crockett brush off the slight and sign here if given the opportunity? We just don't know who else the coaches are in on and have talked to. But if I had to guess, I'd say we end up with 23 and Hays signs as a scholarship player.

jjdlc

Quote from: NLRHog92 on February 02, 2016, 08:05:40 am
It was stated to be a scholarship offer and accepted by Mr. Hays, but yes I guess it could be a contingent offer. Again, there could be surprises as there usually is, but we're not sure who is left on the coaches board except the 4 main guys. If we were to somehow get 3 of those guys, then it's nice to know he would be willing to accept the gray shirt offer because he truly wants to be a Hog! Say we were to only get Bundage. Is there someone else out there that didn't take an OV the coaches are willing to sign? If there's no Porter, are we going after Ragas or would Crockett brush off the slight and sign here if given the opportunity? We just don't know who else the coaches are in on and have talked to. But if I had to guess, I'd say we end up with 23 and Hays signs as a scholarship player.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/feb/01/hayes-commits-hogs/?f=recruiting

Quote11:19 update
Hays may sign with Arkansas on Wednesday. If not, he'll be awarded a scholarship at later time. Either way, he's a Hog.

TrueBlue

Quote from: ceegar on February 02, 2016, 08:02:56 am
I agree with most.  Not much different than most years.  The late flip from Marshall is a surprise though.  Glad to have one of OSU's top recruits.  Hopefully we will get another one in Bundage.  I too think Fulton signs with LSU.  But I think unless we here something on another RB today we will sign Porter.  Cleveland will go to TCU.  Jones....I think we got him to visit and that's about it.  He is Texas bound.  So IMO we will close with the following.
Porter, Bundage, Hays(gets the schollie).  Leaving 1 open schollie for Tillman when he gets his stuff squared away.
This is still a really good class with lots of needs addressed.  But all in all just a couple of ticks up from typical Hog class rankings. 

We do not need to "leave one open" for Tillman.

Scott7703

Or, that we have Whaley and hammonds committed and feel good about porter also. But that probably couldn't be it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 02, 2016, 08:34:23 am
Or, that we have Whaley and hammonds committed and feel good about porter also. But that probably couldn't be it.

Jim's stint in the recruiting forum lately has been really terrible for him.  First he gets upset about people mentioning Randy Ramsey and asks why people keep talking about him, because "he's not part of the team".  He dropped that little nugget of deuce too.  He's unhappy it seems.

jgphillips3

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 02, 2016, 08:12:56 am
We do not need to "leave one open" for Tillman.

Correct. Graduate transfer and won't count against the 25, only the 85.  I personally still think we get Cleveland.  I think it is either Porter or no RB and I feel like we may have done enough this weekend to reel him in.  I think Fulton really wants to be a Hog, but we'll see if he'll defy Dad or not.  We may still be leaving a scholarship open for Daniels unless he has privately told the coaches not to.  I think the Hays scholarship depends on whether Porter and Daniels both come here.  The big finish is still on the board.  This class still has top 20 potential and is full of absolute stud players.  This will be a class every bit as meaningful to the win column as 2009 was to Petrino's teams.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: drocktulsa on February 02, 2016, 07:15:10 am
Could be wrong, but I'm hearing Hays will get a scholarship under the condition we don't use all 25 scholarships on NSD -- otherwise he is a grayshirt/preferred walk-on
Is a grayshirt guaranteed a scholarship in year 2 that would count against next year's 25?

jgphillips3

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on February 02, 2016, 08:43:20 am
Is a grayshirt guaranteed a scholarship in year 2 that would count against next year's 25?

More or less.  However, walk ons can get a scholarship after two years and not count against a class (only the 85) so he may turn out to be either a gray shirt or preferred walk on...depending.  I don't think it has been clarified at this point.

NLRHog92

If we signed a full class and he elected to gray shirt as opposed to accept other offers, he would take classes at a JUCO (most likely Pulaski Tech since he's from LR, unless they wanted to go ahead and make the move to NWA to adjust and he went to NWACC) and has 9 hours or less. Then he would enroll in the spring semester and be on scholarship, but I believe it just counts towards to 85 number. That's one loophole around the 25 rule it seems.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 02, 2016, 08:52:18 am
More or less.  However, walk ons can get a scholarship after two years and not count against a class (only the 85) so he may turn out to be either a gray shirt or preferred walk on...depending.  I don't think it has been clarified at this point.
Yeah, I remember the after 2 year rule.  Just trying to distinguish between preferred walk-on vs grayshirt.  Thanks.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: NLRHog92 on February 02, 2016, 08:52:07 am
If we signed a full class and he elected to gray shirt as opposed to accept other offers, he would take classes at a JUCO (most likely Pulaski Tech since he's from LR, unless they wanted to go ahead and make the move to NWA to adjust and he went to NWACC) and has 9 hours or less. Then he would enroll in the spring semester and be on scholarship, but I believe it just counts towards to 85 number. That's one loophole around the 25 rule it seems.
How would that not count against the 25??

factchecker

Grayshirts are recruits who are offered a delayed scholarship. Essentially, grayshirts will postpone their enrollment until after the conclusion of the upcoming season; they will take classes, often as part-time students, but not officially join the program until the ensuing spring semester.

Schools use the grayshirt to add recruits without sacrificing scholarship numbers. Though a grayshirt graduates at the same time as other prospects, delaying the player's enrollment allows a program to count that scholarship offer toward the following season's total — making the grayshirt a helpful tool for those programs who tend to over-sign recruits.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/recruiting/2016/01/31/college-football-recruiting-redshirt-greenshirt-grayshirt-blueshirt/79603750/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NLRHog92

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on February 02, 2016, 08:55:03 am
How would that not count against the 25??

I understood wrong because from what I read, wasn't ever stated it was against the next year's 25. So if we signed full class, Hays would count against the 2017 total. Also, I think he could go to UA and not specifically a JUCO, so long as it's part time and doesn't participate in team activities.

jjdlc

Quote from: NLRHog92 on February 02, 2016, 08:52:07 am

Im pretty sure he can enroll at the UofA, he just can't join the program till after next season.  It's possible they could be going for a blue shirt, which is basically the same as a grey shirt, but he can go ahead and join the team, but not go on scholarship till next Spring.

Oklahawg

If, by "unorganized", you mean the same recruiting habits/plans as Oklahoma and Alabama. All three of us got in on Jacobs after his senior season was completed. Missouri gets an excuse - new coach and all.

Jacobs came out of nowhere in a highly competitive district (as I've documented elsewhere, if that matters) to be an unstoppable player. Sometimes that happens.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Ray_Finkle

Oh boy... hear we go...

prattville pig

"The Big Finish" is shaping up to be really big, its looking like.
Life's too short to last long.

NLRHog92

Quote from: jjdlc on February 02, 2016, 09:12:27 am
Im pretty sure he can enroll at the UofA, he just can't join the program till after next season.  It's possible they could be going for a blue shirt, which is basically the same as a grey shirt, but he can go ahead and join the team, but not go on scholarship till next Spring.

Yep, he can. I mentioned that in my next post. Some of the info was vague, so I wasn't entirely sure. Don't see too many gray shirts end up making a huge difference. I guess I'm partial for this to be an exception because A) means we signed a full class and got some studs tmrw on NSD and B) an in-state kid that bleeds red gets his turn and contributes, despite not being there to develop/progress as early.

DiamondHogFan

hobhog

Be fun to see how much accuracy and misinformation gets posted in next 12 hours.

I think we will be happy at end of day tomorrow regardless.

Vantage 8 dude

Tell you what Jim: how about us giving the staff a "pass" at, as you say, being "disorganized" when it comes to this situation? In turn, we'll give you a "get out of jail" card for your being "scatter brained" when it came to your recent brilliant Ramsey remarks. Let's call it even and move on.

davispard

Quote from: hobhog on February 02, 2016, 10:04:57 am
Be fun to see how much accuracy and misinformation gets posted in next 12 hours.

I think we will be happy at end of day tomorrow regardless.
Hell; I'm HAPPY now!!!!!!!!!!!!!