Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who are our remaining top targets?

Started by bigpigpimpin, January 30, 2016, 06:05:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

Love those Hogs

Porter, Cleveland and Fulton.  Jones and Daniels aren't looking good.
Hogs 4 Life!

Hogginout

is there another option if we miss out on Fulton and/or Alexander?
Hogs 4 Life

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hogginout on January 30, 2016, 06:09:26 pm
is there another option if we miss out on Fulton and/or Alexander?
IMO no, but I don't think it is a necessary discussion.

presidenthog

cleveland, fulton, porter, de. that's it. those are the only names and if we miss and we will just have an open spot.

this staff will not sign just for bodies or to fill spots. quality, not quantity.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: presidenthog on January 30, 2016, 06:18:15 pm
cleveland, fulton, porter, de. that's it. those are the only names and if we miss and we will just have an open spot.

this staff will not sign just for bodies or to fill spots. quality, not quantity.
This is my non-signature signature.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: presidenthog on January 30, 2016, 06:18:15 pm

And this is exactly the reason I am believing Smith wasn't simply a hurried stab at filling a spot. There were other options and our staff fixed in on him.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

whosiskid

I think in some ways the staff would prefer to leave a spot or two open to use in case of suddenly available players later. Also, if we signed only 23 players, we would have 2 slots we could use next year, as long as the two were mid-year enrollees. For instance, if we had had a slot, we could have counted back to get Sosa Agim. It is the only way you can end up with more than 25 players in a recruiting cycle. If we don't use one of the slots for mid-year enrollees, we just lose the scholarship. I remember Tennessee a couple of years back had around 10 extra scholarships this way, and Florida had that one year where no one wanted to sign with them (and they wisely decided not to offer kids out of desperation).

So, I think Bielema and Co. would like Cleveland and Fulton, and probably the DE (until we know more about him, we don't really know if he is someone they are trying to get to commit for certain, though Bielema this late in the year doesn't seem to bring kids in merely as contingency), but they are willing to end with a couple of empty slots,
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Steef

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 30, 2016, 06:54:59 pm
And this is exactly the reason I am believing Smith wasn't simply a hurried stab at filling a spot. There were other options and our staff fixed in on him.

Yup.

jackflash

I think until Fulton, Porter or Cleveland tell us something they have to be our tops picks

opineonswine

I would give Fulton a 33% chance and Cleveland 50% and I don't know anything.  Just common sense and playing the odds.

Love those Hogs

I think Smith was added due to missing on Jones and Bundage.  Good pick up but not a Plan A recruit.   All the other commits today we're not Plan B recruits.  Just my 2 cents.
Hogs 4 Life!

Hognspace

Quote from: jackflash on January 30, 2016, 07:10:25 pm
I think until Fulton, Porter or Cleveland tell us something they have to be our tops picks

Fulton looks all gator on his visit from Twitter. Cleveland is a FL native.  I don't think we land either. 

ceegar

I still think we land Porter, an OL, and a DL.  I think we miss on Fulton and Cleveland.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

tusksincolorado

I wish we could recruit and sign Hogville members.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 30, 2016, 06:54:59 pm

I suspect this...

Quote from: Love those Hogs on January 30, 2016, 07:16:14 pm
I think Smith was added due to missing on Jones and Bundage.  Good pick up but not a Plan A recruit.   All the other commits today we're not Plan B recruits.  Just my 2 cents.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: opineonswine on January 30, 2016, 07:12:13 pm
I would give Fulton a 33% chance and Cleveland 50% and I don't know anything.  Just common sense and playing the odds.

Seems reasonable.  I'd say 50% on Porter too. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

RaisinHog

Quote from: Hognspace on January 30, 2016, 07:21:58 pm
Fulton looks all gator on his visit from Twitter. Cleveland is a FL native.  I don't think we land either.

I swear I'm not a sunshine pumper but most kids are all whatever while they are on there visit to that school ... Best thing we can do is not look at there twitters all weekend and hope for the best on Wednesday but honestly I wouldn't put much stock into tweets while on a visit ...

rustr

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 30, 2016, 08:02:48 pm
I swear I'm not a sunshine pumper but most kids are all whatever while they are on there visit to that school ... Best thing we can do is not look at there twitters all weekend and hope for the best on Wednesday but honestly I wouldn't put much stock into tweets while on a visit ...

Good advice.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 30, 2016, 08:02:48 pm

Precisely.  Fans like to live in a bubble.  Kids give all kinds of Twitter love to fans during their visit, and we think we're all of a sudden the team to beat.  They go to their next visit, do the same for those fans, and all of a sudden we're baffled.  Never mind the fact that the kids were probably doing the same exact thing on the visit before ours.  It's what they do.

Hognspace

Don't get it bent.  I hope the hogs land both of them, but it isn't looking as promising as before they visited sunny FL.  Can you imagine the difference...in coed populations alone?   

870hogfan

Quote from: Hognspace on January 30, 2016, 08:19:08 pm
Don't get it bent.  I hope the hogs land both of them, but it isn't looking as promising as before they visited sunny FL.  Can you imagine the difference...in coed populations alone?

Um they did the same last weekend at Arkansas..

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Who was the secret visitor from last week?  I can't believe I am drawing a blank.  It wasn't Cleveland was it?  Is he not in the mix at all?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 30, 2016, 08:24:45 pm
Who was the secret visitor from last week?  I can't believe I am drawing a blank.  It wasn't Cleveland was it?  Is he not in the mix at all?

Tillman?

RussVegas Hawg

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 30, 2016, 08:24:45 pm

Alexander the Ok St commit

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Hognspace on January 30, 2016, 07:21:58 pm
You do know that any gator gear was given to him to put on during the visit.  He showed up off the plane wearing a razorback track suit with his buddy.  There is that.   ;D

Oklahawg

Tillman and Alexander were both secret recruits last weekend.

The "dream finish" is not a dream. It is a real possibility.

It is signing week - it is ok to dream this week.

Go be negative nancy somewhere else.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 30, 2016, 08:32:24 pm

Amen there are some people that must live terrible lives.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 30, 2016, 08:32:24 pm

Tillman was outed quite early.  He wasn't the one discussed by Richard that I was thinking about.  Alexander is the one I was thinking of. And thanks for helping me and my forgetful brain.  My point still stands, everyone is completely disregarding this kid.  I'm not expecting anything but he did take the time to come check us out.

Oklahawg

Ok State is much like UA - they are not going to win a ton of head-to-head matchups with the big dogs for recruits. They have to get in early, build relationships, and be elite talent evaluators. Both schools do a good job of developing talent. Thus, both schools tend to out-perform the entertainment industry star rankings.

Rocky, Alexander is likely one of the myriad of 3-star guys who is not distinguishable from the rest. Many have huge upside that gets exploited in a good system. OSU and UA are good at this.

We are USED to finding these guys - HV video rats find highlights that show great promise, solid athleticism, and some spark that excites the coaches. That we have options that are among the elite in the country is where we are in new territory. Not many elite difference makers, truly. We are in on three - Porter, Cleveland, Fulton. (Not eliminating Jones, just being practical - he seems to have slipped off of the radar.) Have a couple already.

But the real deal to me: guys that explode off of film who we are landing. We are out-working lazier schools who are buying lists from the gooroos, or having a GA make the most of a subscription to pay services. (I am sure we do both also...but we are much better at putting in the elbow grease time, if you know what I mean.)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra