Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Micahh Smith commits

Started by Music City Hog, January 30, 2016, 03:37:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig In The City

Welcome Micah to the family in the Hill!

hogman64

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on January 30, 2016, 09:28:50 pm
I don't know what kind of competition this kid is going up against, but he looks the very least as a solid 3* from his highlight reel. Hopefully someone will go give him a look and give this kid a little more respect.

he just got all the respect he needs today, they don't give those scholarships away to anyone they don't feel will be a solid player...

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Wooderson

Ken Hamlin was  two star and that turned out alright
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Hog Waller

Quote from: Wooderson on January 30, 2016, 10:39:55 pm
Ken Hamlin was  two star and that turned out alright

Thank you for posting that fact.

Cassperr

Watt was a 2* and we see how well that worked out for CBB
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Cassperr on January 31, 2016, 12:34:07 am
Watt was a 2* and we see how well that worked out for CBB

Lol. B/c every 2* is the next Watt

BirmingHam

Steef

Smith has no stars. No stars on his jersey. No stars on his scholarship offer. License plate. Etc.

What he now has...is a freakin Hog on his new helmet.  That supercedes stars.

Good enough for Bret and Robb...full ride, no less...from a HC that is not bashful to invite guys to walk on...good enough for me.

He's a Hog. End of story.

Biggus Piggus

There's a thread about Micahh Smith on the Texas A&M 24/7 Sports site -- pay board. If you have access, it is easy to find. That thread was started in December. Posters over there praised him as an under-the-radar prospect who could really hit and was likely to end up getting a high-major offer. Then when they learned that Arkansas had offered, the Aggie posters were full of praise for Bielema's ability to identify good players that everyone else had missed.

It's pretty cool to see that some fans in Texas had called out Smith back in early December as somebody worth getting + then Arkansas found him. Those posters did not put down Smith because his previous offers were from lower-division schools -- they expressed confidence that Smith would be a very good player for Arkansas + were amazed that everybody but Arkansas missed him.
[CENSORED]!

scruf

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 31, 2016, 10:55:04 am
There's a thread about Micahh Smith on the Texas A&M 24/7 Sports site -- pay board. If you have access, it is easy to find. That thread was started in December. Posters over there praised him as an under-the-radar prospect who could really hit and was likely to end up getting a high-major offer. Then when they learned that Arkansas had offered, the Aggie posters were full of praise for Bielema's ability to identify good players that everyone else had missed.

It's pretty cool to see that some fans in Texas had called out Smith back in early December as somebody worth getting + then Arkansas found him. Those posters did not put down Smith because his previous offers were from lower-division schools -- they expressed confidence that Smith would be a very good player for Arkansas + were amazed that everybody but Arkansas missed him.

Good find. He's at least a 3* talent on the coaches' board or he never would have been on it. There are no 2* talents on the coaches' board.

bphi11ips

Quote from: scruf on January 31, 2016, 11:45:10 am
Good find. He's at least a 3* talent on the coaches' board or he never would have been on it. There are no 2* talents on the coaches' board.

Bielema apparently recruits players, not stars. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

scruf

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 31, 2016, 11:49:38 am
Bielema apparently recruits players, not stars. 

Exactly. He has his own rating system.

Oklahawg

The stars are about what you have already done > what you might do in the next 4-5 years. The gooroos might argue otherwise - hell, they might advertise it otherwise - but if the stars are about projections 4-5 years down the road the star-gazers really are FOS. They are following a bunch of grown-ass men who don't coach (any more, any way) who think they know which HS players will be NCAA studs.

Not bagging on anyone in this thread, just the ever-present inferiority complex created by the star system that is used to sell subscriptions to the big fanbases willing to pay for them + the large metro area talent bases that can sustain a meaningful comparison of talent.

Smith looks the part. Aggie fans saw it as well. AT the end of the day, each staff has their own standard and Smith met ours, but may not have met others.

Glad I get a chance to root him on for the next 4-5 years.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: scruf on January 31, 2016, 11:45:10 am

Well, he is a 3* on Scout, fwiw. I used to be on their board 10 years ago, I still get an email in my spam folder every now and then on our commits, haha. Usually hours after the fact. I guess they hold out hope that I'll change my mind and re-up after 10 years.

scruf

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2016, 01:42:07 pm
Well, he is a 3* on Scout, fwiw. I used to be on their board 10 years ago, I still get an email in my spam folder every now and then on our commits, haha. Usually hours after the fact. I guess they hold out hope that I'll change my mind and re-up after 10 years.
They can't quit you.

bennyl08

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 31, 2016, 01:36:04 pm
The stars are about what you have already done > what you might do in the next 4-5 years. The gooroos might argue otherwise - hell, they might advertise it otherwise - but if the stars are about projections 4-5 years down the road the star-gazers really are FOS. They are following a bunch of grown-ass men who don't coach (any more, any way) who think they know which HS players will be NCAA studs.

Not bagging on anyone in this thread, just the ever-present inferiority complex created by the star system that is used to sell subscriptions to the big fanbases willing to pay for them + the large metro area talent bases that can sustain a meaningful comparison of talent.

Smith looks the part. Aggie fans saw it as well. AT the end of the day, each staff has their own standard and Smith met ours, but may not have met others.

Glad I get a chance to root him on for the next 4-5 years.

Stars are one piece of the puzzle. To ignore them is silly, to think that they are the end all be all is also silly.

List the best players the hogs have had in the best decade a large majority also had 4+ stars.

If you look at what the NFL thinks about prospects (and they don't care at all about what ranking you had in HS) then the star system is extremely good at predicting success in that regard as well.

However, then are tens of thousands of players to evaluate. There is also a ton of variables that can't be quantified and even the players themselves can still change dramatically at thais stage in their development. So, there is naturally going to be plenty of examples of error.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

scruf

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 31, 2016, 02:52:25 pm
However, then are tens of thousands of players to evaluate. There is also a ton of variables that can't be quantified and even the players themselves can still change dramatically at thais stage in their development. So, there is naturally going to be plenty of examples of error.

Exactly. There is a huge disparity between sheer number of players versus number of people evaluating those players.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: scruf on January 31, 2016, 02:56:03 pm
Exactly. There is a huge disparity between sheer number of players versus number of people evaluating those players.

Then there's the wildcard, how their bodies grow and develop from 18 to 23 years old.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

WaltonCollege

Anyone live in Marshall or around Longview or Shreveport that has seen Micahh play? Kid was all over the field with 120 tackles last year.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2016, 01:42:07 pm
Well then I have the perfect solution. Use his 3* rating on Scout and then use everyone else's highest rank on 24/7, Rivals or wherever for everyone else. See there? That wasn't so hard.   8)

scruf

Composite 3* on 247. Would be a good player with zero stars on the recruiting services. 120 tackles tells me he is really aggressive in run support. Kid made tackles all over the field. Glad to have him. Go Hogs!

http://247sports.com/Player/Micahh-Smith-82965