Uncommitted Official Visitors list

Started by bighog2255, January 21, 2016, 08:54:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on January 28, 2016, 11:08:36 am
Heinrich
Malone
I think they get Ramirez
And I guess they'll bring in LTT after he graduates.

We badly needed some high school OT's in this class, but I guess that'll have to wait until next year.

A hole is probably forming on the OL.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Wildhog on January 28, 2016, 11:08:36 am
Heinrich
Malone
I think they get Ramirez
And I guess they'll bring in LTT after he graduates.

We badly needed some high school OT's in this class, but I guess that'll have to wait until next year.
Never know there might be a Josh Allen out there somewhere, I bet we sign no more than 24 on NSD if that many for these types of reasons.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 28, 2016, 11:11:10 am
Never know there might be a Josh Allen out there somewhere, I bet we sign no more than 24 on NSD if that many for these types of reasons.

Hope so, for our sake.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bighog2255

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 28, 2016, 11:10:00 am

Seems like I have seen you make this comment a few times in different threads

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 28, 2016, 11:11:10 am

Hopefully, but it's always better not having to rely on such an anomaly.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2016, 11:13:29 am

No seems about it.  I'm admittedly a broken record when it comes to our OL recruiting.  It's not been all that so many want to claim.  Pittman wasn't all he was made out to be, IMO. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 28, 2016, 11:10:00 am

The problem is that when we don't have HS players to develop over time to step into starting roles, we're forced to rely on Jucos to fill the gaps.  That can work out a lot of the time. Bill Snyder has built a program on heavily recruiting Jucos.

It can also bite you in the ass.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bighog2255

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 27, 2016, 06:47:22 pm
Can we use this as a master file for visits and where those guys are going? We have a thread on every recruit who can scratch his ass with any success - post comments there.

Thank you. Listing the visits and updating them was my intent of the thread. Not for comments on specific recruits or perceived deficiencies in our O-line depth

The NewEra

I just watched Paul Ramirez, the OT Juco visitor video.  That kid is a stud.  I sure hope we land him.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2016, 11:13:29 am
Bubba is our resident HV Eeyore  ;D, and Wildhog cares about nothing but RBs and OL  ;D I kid, I kid

Uncommon

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 28, 2016, 11:16:01 am
No seems about it.  I'm admittedly a broken record when it comes to our OL recruiting.  It's not been all that so many want to claim.  Pittman wasn't all he was made out to be, IMO. 
Kind of looking that way.  The positives are that we should start catching up numbers wise after this class since we only have 1 Senior OL.  I think KA is ready to get to work for the 2017 class.  He is energetic and up for the challenge.

duckman

The problem with the OL recruiting was Pittman was short timing us after his BFF left.  I never saw that huge impact everyone else saw BTW.  Did I like the guy, yes, did I think he was the best OL recruiter out there. Nope....  We will be fine, trust the staff.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 28, 2016, 11:17:38 am
Bubba is our resident HV Eeyore  ;D, and Wildhog cares about nothing but RBs and OL  ;D I kid, I kid

I AM Eeyore!!  My wife affectionately calls me that sometimes.  I prefer realist, but I understand that's not usually welcome on a fan message board.  Koolaid is much more palatable. 

I'd +1 you for the Eeyore reference if I could.  Well done.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: duckman on January 28, 2016, 11:23:16 am
The problem with the OL recruiting was Pittman was short timing us after his BFF left.  I never saw that huge impact everyone else saw BTW.  Did I like the guy, yes, did I think he was the best OL recruiter out there. Nope....  We will be fine, trust the staff.

The dude got some nice OL talent, no doubt, but the quantity generally sucked.

Wildhog

Hell, he wasn't the best OL recruiter in the SEC-W.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bighog2255

duckman

Quote from: Wildhog on January 28, 2016, 11:25:56 am
Hell, he's not the best OL recruiter in the SEC-W.

Yep, the one I know owned him...

Wildhog

Quote from: duckman on January 28, 2016, 11:26:52 am

No doubt.

Of course, Sam's twice the coach, no offense.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hog Waller

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 28, 2016, 11:22:47 am
The dude got some nice OL talent, no doubt, but the quantity generally sucked.

Maybe SP had challenges with multi-tasking?  I for one am glad he is gone.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on January 28, 2016, 11:18:39 am
The problem is that when we don't have HS players to develop over time to step into starting roles, we're forced to rely on Jucos to fill the gaps.  That can work out a lot of the time. Bill Snyder has built a program on heavily recruiting Jucos.

It can also bite you in the ass.

Precisely.  We're probably taking 2 to 3 JUCOs/transfers in this class with only 1 HS recruit.  That will impact next class.  Meaning if we want to transition out of a reliance on JUCO's, it won't happen in 1 year, so we'll probably need 5 to 6 OL next class, with a couple still being JUCOs.  Nothing wrong with grabbing a talented JUCO here and there for balance or whatever, but it's an entirely different story when you practically make up an entire position with JUCO's in a single class. 

Sorry, OH, for the tangent.  Can't help myself.

duckman

Bubba's Bruisers

Bubba's Bruisers

If the one you know is at LSU, then not apples to apples comparison at all.  Recruiting to LSU is a breeze compared to UA.

duckman

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 28, 2016, 11:28:35 am
If the one you know is at LSU, then not apples to apples comparison at all.  Recruiting to LSU is a breeze compared to UA.

He beat us for Toby Weathersby head to head, where did he play HS ball.....

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

The problem with the OL recruiting was Pittman was short timing us after his BFF left. 

There is no denying that.  Anderson will be better after he's been here a year—I feel very strongly about that!

Wildhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 28, 2016, 11:35:07 am
There is no denying that.  Anderson will be better after he's been here a year—I feel very strongly about that!

I'm loving CKA so far.  His twitter game is on point. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: duckman on January 28, 2016, 11:31:31 am

He played in TX, and that's one example. 

It's LSU.  Huge difference.  Huge.  They're possibly going to have the #1 class this year after a ton of turmoil.  They are top 5 every year.  They are a machine.  Don't have to be THAT talented of a recruiter to convince a kid to come to LSU.  Especially when most of the talent lives so close.  Not saying your guy isn't  good (he probably is very good), but I'm saying comparing his recruiting at LSU to Pittman's at UA is a bit ridiculous.  Still, Pittman, and this also gets laid at BB's feet too, didn't accomplish enough numbers-wise on the OL.  All my opinion, of course.

tophawg19

if you go back and look at his time here he picked up several good ones but left overall numbers short of what he claimed to want . i have heard that CBB feels good about several of the walk on kids filling roles so maybe that is the reason we aren't chasing O L guys harder . I think next season we load up on them because the following year several leave
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2016, 11:25:10 am
I'd say more like "Debbie Downer"

How bout this, and I've posted it before, our offensive skill position recruits look awesome so far.  If we add Porter and Cleveland, and somehow keep Pollard, then it's a freaking homerun.  The DL, while only 3 recruits to this point, looks awfully good too.

hawginbigd1

You know that was last years swing and a miss, how much better would we all think about our OL if this guy was here, and Kohler hadn't been an injury bust.

Oklahawg

As I understand it...

We are not chasing OL just to chase OL. The goal remains the same, but the constant mention of that by the coach may be more advertising than reality. Pittman's list of possible recruits went *poof* long before he left. The pattern remained constant for the entirety of his stay: target a handful of elite OL and hope you land enough to make a class. We lost several TX OL candidates that were handed off to Pittman by the territory coaches.

Anderson's connections to college football whithered away quickly after he went to Buffalo. The only legit shot you get with OL the last 5 weeks of recruiting is with JUCO players or transfers.  Boiles was looking because he saw immediate playing time. Found it at Utah, also, but without staff turnover or having to move his new family.

Anderson is going to mine his contacts but will really ramp up his effort this spring. It will be 2018 before HE will be the reason we are getting OL here. Our territory coaches will continue to provide names that we have been on and will hope KA can transition into being the lead recruiter.

It is foolish to think that a true frosh would come in and compete for playing time. The pattern is that they get a look. Only the first year, when things were hopelessly bleak, did that happen. We put them on the plane for away games in case of injury. They don't play, though, much if at all. CBB is clear about not shortcutting long-term development just to get someone on the field (see Reed at WR this year).

Look for JUCO guys only, and see if we can't get in on a couple of good HS guys this spring.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawginbigd1

I think most are saying we need Freshman now so they will be ready later

ricepig

Yeah, one recruit makes a trend........I guess you could say Pittman beat him for Merrick and Wallace, they both had LSU offers.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 28, 2016, 11:44:59 am

Yes, can't have that long-term player development and real depth without it.

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 28, 2016, 11:43:46 am
As I understand it...

We are not chasing OL just to chase OL. The goal remains the same, but the constant mention of that by the coach may be more advertising than reality. Pittman's list of possible recruits went *poof* long before he left. The pattern remained constant for the entirety of his stay: target a handful of elite OL and hope you land enough to make a class. We lost several TX OL candidates that were handed off to Pittman by the territory coaches.

Anderson's connections to college football whithered away quickly after he went to Buffalo. The only legit shot you get with OL the last 5 weeks of recruiting is with JUCO players or transfers.  Boiles was looking because he saw immediate playing time. Found it at Utah, also, but without staff turnover or having to move his new family.

Anderson is going to mine his contacts but will really ramp up his effort this spring. It will be 2018 before HE will be the reason we are getting OL here. Our territory coaches will continue to provide names that we have been on and will hope KA can transition into being the lead recruiter.

It is foolish to think that a true frosh would come in and compete for playing time. The pattern is that they get a look. Only the first year, when things were hopelessly bleak, did that happen. We put them on the plane for away games in case of injury. They don't play, though, much if at all. CBB is clear about not shortcutting long-term development just to get someone on the field (see Reed at WR this year).

Look for JUCO guys only, and see if we can't get in on a couple of good HS guys this spring.

I pretty much agree.

Wildhog

As I understand it...

I agree with a lot of this.  It is unrealistic to expect CKA to make connections in time to sign a bunch of HS OL in this class.  I don't think one would be too much to ask for, but I can understand if it doesn't happen.

However, you don't get a two year pass in recruiting. Sorry, but the 2017 class needs a ton of HS OL, and we have a LOT to sell them on.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2016, 11:49:24 am
Yeah, one recruit makes a trend........I guess you could say Pittman beat him for Merrick and Wallace, they both had LSU offers.

Trend is such an applicable word for most discussions on HV.  You should make use of that work more often.  Nicely applied.

duckman

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2016, 11:49:24 am

He wanted an example, I gave him one.  If you think the only place He has recruited well is LSU I suggest you Look at his resume' that said, the point I am trying to make is some here gave Pittman almost God like status in recruiting.  I never saw that.  Did he recruit some good ones, sure.  Did he land enough to be deep, not in my opinion.  I think after this season we will see better OL recruiting  than with Pittman.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 28, 2016, 11:44:59 am

Exactly, it's about the future, and not having to scramble for juco OL in every freaking class from now on.
1909/1964/1965/1977

BirmingHam

As I understand it...

Winner,winner, chicken dinner

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: duckman on January 28, 2016, 11:55:38 am
He wanted an example, I gave him one.  If you think the only place He has recruited well is LSU I suggest you Look at his resume' that said, the point I am trying to make is some here gave Pittman almost God like status in recruiting.  I never saw that.  Did he recruit some good ones, sure.  Did he land enough to be deep, not in my opinion.  I think after this season we will see better OL recruiting  than with Pittman.

Actually, I didn't ask for an example.  I just opined that recruiting to LSU was not same as recruiting to UA.  Doesn't matter where your guy previously worked.  He now works for a recruiting machine.  But obviously he probably doesn't work there unless he's a stud himself.  Coaches, I believe, are attracted to programs that more easily attract talent.   

tophawg19

oKLAHAWG . K.A still has a lot of ties especially in Chicago and that region . Look for us to hammer that area hard for O-LINE  guys . There are always large numbers of big ole boys that are highly ranked up there . he may be what it takes to pull them to the SEC
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Wildhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 28, 2016, 12:01:34 pm
oKLAHAWG . K.A still has a lot of ties especially in Chicago and that region . Look for us to hammer that area hard for O-LINE  guys . There are always large numbers of big ole boys that are highly ranked up there . he may be what it takes to pull them to the SEC

I'll say this.  CBB didn't hire Anderson to be a good recruiter in 2018.  We have needs NOW, and I'm sure CBB has high expectations.  If he wasn't ready to be an SEC coach/recruiter, you don't make the hire.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on January 28, 2016, 12:03:27 pm
I'll say this.  CBB didn't hire Anderson to be a good recruiter in 2018.  We have needs NOW, and I'm sure CBB has high expectations.  If he wasn't ready to be an SEC coach/recruiter, you don't make the hire.

Yeah, I suspect OL recruiting will be priority #1 for the 2017 class...I bet we take 5 or 6 next class.  Along with continuing to build defensive back 7 talent and depth.

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 28, 2016, 12:03:31 pm
Yeah, I suspect OL recruiting will be priority #1 for the 2017 class...I bet we take 5 or 6 next class.  Along with continuing to build defensive back 7 talent and depth.

Those are the needs.  And they need to be mostly HS prospects.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: duckman on January 28, 2016, 11:55:38 am

If you think Arkansas is the only place Pittman has recruited well, I suggest you look at his resume, too. My only complaint with Sam was the numbers, we needed more, but was all of it his doings?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 28, 2016, 12:03:27 pm

I think Bielema expects his track record of putting OL in the pros to be his calling card, that and RB's. I suspect Anderson will do as well, if not better than Pittman as far as quality, and hopefully better in quantity.

duckman

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2016, 12:08:01 pm
If you think Arkansas is the only place Pittman has recruited well, I suggest you look at his resume, too. My only complaint with Sam was the numbers, we needed more, but was all of it his doings?

I said he recruited well, just not in large numbers. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2016, 12:08:01 pm

Spot on

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2016, 12:10:49 pm
I think Bielema expects his track record of putting OL in the pros to be his calling card, that and RB's. I suspect Anderson will do as well, if not better than Pittman as far as quality, and hopefully better in quantity.

I agree 100%.  Anderson should be able to hit the ground running in 2017.  Lord knows we need him to. 

It's not like when Sam left that all those recruits just forgot Arkansas existed.
1909/1964/1965/1977