Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vegas says Bielema best odds on SEC coach to be fired.

Started by ricepig, August 11, 2017, 01:17:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

Quote from: The ColonelHog on August 14, 2017, 09:03:28 am
What the players say about him?  Have you ever heard of "a player's coach?"  That's all BB is.  As far as health of the program, what constitutes a healthy situation?  An absolutely abysmal conference record and an overall losing record.  That's not called healthy at any competitive level.
I'm not sure I consider Bret a player's coach... maybe.  If he is considered a player's coach because of his undeniable interest in their success... then I agree.  And so be it.

Players are the lifeblood of the program.  If players believe in their coach and love playing for him, then I believe that their enthusiasm is reflected to recruits when they hit campus.  Who better to sell a program than the players within it?

A problem we had last year was the defense lost confidence in their coaches - Robb and Rory.  That's a poor reflection upon Bret, too.  But Bret did something about it without embarrassing the coaches most responsible - let them move to other jobs.  Paul is no longer under-employed, and we have a new scheme that we all hope will give better results.  At least we're not waiting in angst for a repeat of last year's performance.

There is a lot to be said for some coaches that are hard asses.  However, I'm not sure that Arkansas has the demographics that can afford that type of attitude.  Certainly, Bobby was terrifically successful being stern.  But we'll never know if he could have sustained that success with the talent he left behind.

I'm not satisfied with where we are, and I don't think Bret is, either.  I believe that his recruiting is outperforming his predecessors.  Half time adjustment and some of his game decisions have been frustrating and left me scratching my head.  However, the competition has had something to do with all of these things that frustrate me.  Some credit is due...

The defense remains a work in progress.  And I don't believe that Arkansas is going to dramatically improve its recruiting of NFL caliber defensive players via a coaching change.  But I will say this... there is one coach now available that Arkansas could theoretically go after that was previously unavailable.  Bob Stoops.  Otherwise, you're pissing in the wind.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 14, 2017, 11:09:22 am
So... while Bobby was being terrifically successful being stern as you put it, were we as a fanbase concerned about his yelling at the players (and refs, and other coaches, etc)?
Is this a common subject discussed at many tea clubs in Louisville these days?  How do we tolerate that 'bad man'... he must be so mean to our young boys?

If Arkansas fans as a broader whole can't handle a 'stern coach' as you put it... then that's pathetic.  Is there some testosterone-draining element present in the tap water?
I don't think that's the case though... I think it's just a convenient thing to say given where we're currently at with the program. 

From what I have heard Wilson Matthews probably would have upset the tea and crumpets crowd as well. 

ArkansasI

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 14, 2017, 11:09:22 am
So... while Bobby was being terrifically successful being stern as you put it, were we as a fanbase concerned about his yelling at the players (and refs, and other coaches, etc)?
Is this a common subject discussed at many tea clubs in Louisville these days?  How do we tolerate that 'bad man'... he must be so mean to our young boys?

If Arkansas fans as a broader whole can't handle a 'stern coach' as you put it... then that's pathetic.  Is there some testosterone-draining element present in the tap water?
I don't think that's the case though... I think it's just a convenient thing to say given where we're currently at with the program. 
That's not what I said.

We don't know if Bobby could have sustained his success at Arkansas because he wasn't around long enough to find out.  A significant part of me believes that Bobby's cavalier attitude was based in part upon the challenge that he knew was in front of him.

Here's the most recognizable face in the State of Arkansas playing deli games with a young girl who he demanded be hired into his program, riding double on a motorcycle on the Pig Trail...  are you kidding me?  Pretty brash.  And supremely stupid.

So many "fans" here believe Jeff Long was acting rash in firing Bobby...  Jeff isn't stupid.  If Bobby was going to stay at Arkansas he had be reeled in.  I think Jeff offered Bobby a way to stay, and Bobby declined.  Bobby was lucky to walk into the Arkansas freshman class he inherited.  And I think Bobby knew he'd look a lot smarter stepping away from the program that was about to implode than trying to sustain what he knew he wasn't.

Bobby suffered the public humiliation either way - and it was far easier to walk away for a year than take the beating from the conference that awaited him.  By walking away after the Cotton Bowl victory, the Razorbacks subsequent collapse was more easily pinned on Bobby's absence than the failure of his recruiting.

Everything has turned out just fine for Bobby.  And Louisville.  And if you prefer to be a Louisville fan - I'm sure they'll accept you.  They accept anything, so long as they can win.  See Rick Pitino.  What a sad place.

We'll see if Bobby can sustain success at Louisville.  One thing is for sure, he learned an expensive lesson at Arkansas, and I suspect he's a better man for it.  Good luck to him.

And better luck to the Arkansas Razorbacks.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on August 14, 2017, 11:44:26 am
A significant part of me believes that Bobby's cavalier attitude was based in part upon the challenge that he knew was in front of him.

Here's the most recognizable face in the State of Arkansas playing deli games with a young girl who he demanded be hired into his program, riding double on a motorcycle on the Pig Trail...  are you kidding me?  Pretty brash.  And supremely stupid.

So many "fans" here believe Jeff Long was acting rash in firing Bobby...  Jeff isn't stupid.  If Bobby was going to stay at Arkansas he had be reeled in.  I think Jeff offered Bobby a way to stay, and Bobby declined.  Bobby was lucky to walk into the Arkansas freshman class he inherited.  And I think Bobby knew he'd look a lot smarter stepping away from the program that was about to implode than trying to sustain what he knew he wasn't.

Bobby suffered the public humiliation either way - and it was far easier to walk away for a year than take the beating from the conference that awaited him.  By walking away after the Cotton Bowl victory, the Razorbacks subsequent collapse was more easily pinned on Bobby's absence than the failure of his recruiting.

That's quite a bedtime story.  I think you left out the part where Jeff Long looked into his bowl and said, "Someone has been eating MY porridge!"

twistitup

Isn't the word 'fired' a fundamental flaw to the betting odds....very few people get fired - they resign. Like Enos when he left CMU - he didn't want to get fired, bad on the resume - so he took a job for CBB and resigned.

I don't think CBB will get fired - he will take another job outside of the SEC, then resign. No matter what happens it will be a smooth transition where CBB leaves with his head held high. JLong will be sure of that -
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

elksnort

That's not what I said.

We don't know if Bobby could have sustained his success at Arkansas because he wasn't around long enough to find out.  A significant part of me believes that Bobby's cavalier attitude was based in part upon the challenge that he knew was in front of him.

Everything has turned out just fine for Bobby.  And Louisville.  And if you prefer to be a Louisville fan - I'm sure they'll accept you.  They accept anything, so long as they can win.  See Rick Pitino.  What a sad place.

We'll see if Bobby can sustain success at Louisville.  One thing is for sure, he learned an expensive lesson at Arkansas, and I suspect he's a better man for it.  Good luck to him.

Very well stated.

MJ2

We all know there will be firings late and after the season.    Obviously the AD's and agents are all starting to line up the "short list", so who's going where?   That's the question.

DeltaBoy

The only way this happens is if the BOT cans Long first.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoghearted

That's not what I said.

I don't know what kind of record there would have been in the aftermath of Harleygate, but I do believe it would have been better than Smiley's. Regardless, none of us can know what the alternate reality would have been. He may have totally lost the players and suffered a huge nosedive, after embarrassing himself and the university. Or with his attention to detail and discipline, pulled out another winning season. I don't believe his recruiting was as good as previous classes, nor as bad as his critics paint them to be.

It does raise an intriguing question, specific coaches aside.   Who usually has more success as a coach? The 'player's coach', or the 'hard ass disciplinarian'?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Calling All Hogs

Sumlin and Gus are most likely especially if either school thinks Chip Kelly is even looking their way.

code red

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on August 11, 2017, 08:59:22 pm
Lol about everyone loving them some buy out.  Let him go under .500 and see what happens.  He'll still be here next year, but he'll be a lame duck unless he makes it to the playoff and wins one.
Ahhh a voice of reason....refreshing to say the least.  25-26 agreed not with his players but, under his watch still yet.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ArkansasI

Quote from: hoghearted on August 17, 2017, 10:35:57 am
I don't know what kind of record there would have been in the aftermath of Harleygate, but I do believe it would have been better than Smiley's. Regardless, none of us can know what the alternate reality would have been. He may have totally lost the players and suffered a huge nosedive, after embarrassing himself and the university. Or with his attention to detail and discipline, pulled out another winning season. I don't believe his recruiting was as good as previous classes, nor as bad as his critics paint them to be.

It does raise an intriguing question, specific coaches aside.   Who usually has more success as a coach? The 'player's coach', or the 'hard ass disciplinarian'?
Both types enjoy great success. On one hand we have Saban, Stoops (I think he's a hard ass), and on the other we have Urban (I think he's a player's coach), Bobby Bowden, Dabo, Pete Carroll (cheater).

The above is not all inclusive. However, it certainly reveals that there is no cookie cutter.

My point earlier is that I believe Arkansas - due to demographics alone - is not going to dominate quick enough to allow some hard ass to come in and pull NFL talent. It didn't work for Lou - more a hardass.

I'm an admitted amateur. But my view is the Hogs are recruiting better players now - attracting more from out of state - than at any other time in my life. I'm 50.

For those reasons, Bret's seat is ice cold in my mind. I admit that I'm not terribly pleased with everything that's going on, but it seems reasonable to play this out. And for me, we're a minimum of 2 years away from knowing this program.

Now if Bob Stoops calls Jeff and says he wants back in @ $4m per, then I'm calling donors to see if we can make that happen. Since I don't believe that's going to happen, I'm going to give Bret 100% of my support - got to protect my enormous investment. No reason to make the job harder than it is.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 14, 2017, 11:56:18 am
This is fascinating. 

What you said was -
This seems a pretty clear implication of the fanbase in not being able to stomach a 'hard ass coach'. 

I'm also intrigued by your spin where Petrino just decided to as you mention -  'walk away' from a Preseason Top 5 ranked team because 'he knew he'd look a lot smarter stepping away from the program that was about to implode than trying to sustain what he knew he wasn't'... ??!???

This is truly fascinating.  So Petrino decided for himself being fired and ended up somewhere like Western Kentucky was preferable to leading a top-ranked SEC team he built, with a new DC coming on-board to bolster that side of the ball...

Yeah.  Seems legit.
No doubt I'm taking liberties with my views. But you've got to admit Bobby was playing mighty fast and loose. Not the actions of a man trying to protect his place in this world.

I suppose he may have thought himself bulletproof. That's the alternative view. Of course, he was wrong about that, too.