Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Katy Tigers, Katy Texas

Started by ppdmike, November 01, 2017, 09:54:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ppdmike

I grew up in a small town in Arkansas and now live in Katy, Texas. The Katy Tigers are a football powerhouse and my son plays on one of two freshmen teams that contain a total of 105 players. I went to my first Katy game this year and was blown away by the athletes on the field and the sheer number of kids. Between the sophomore, Jr varsity, and varsity football teams, I counted approx 125 players. The school district has 9 high schools and 77,000 kids and is anticipated to grow to 98,000 kids in 9 yrs. Ive watched several receive offers and Im always like "where are my Hogs?", I mean the Tigers are known nationwide for their football program with a 2015, 2012, and 2007 National Titles and 8 time Texas State Champs. Here are some examples where my Hogs are no where to be found:

Katy has a defensive lineman (Ojomo) this year who had no offers. I saw him play and was like how does he have no offers??!!! Two weeks later, TCU offers him. Another player from Katy, C Bethley TCU (2016) registered a sack against Arkansas this year(no AR offer). Paddy Fisher (2016 LB/no AR offer) is killing it at Northwestern. His best offer was Colorado State or BC. Arkansas has offered D. Glass (RB), but who hasn't? Whats the point of this rant? There should be a damn pipeline into this HS. Every week, even the crappy teams we play have D1 talent and size. The left over talent here is better than many small schools in rural America because they train them like its college. I just wish my Hogs could take advantage of this massive district and its talent to beef up Arkansas. Ohhh and the back up RB who filled in for Glass last year when he got hurt, accepted his first offer to BYU. Our DE end (Matus) accepted his first power 5 D1 offer to Arizona State, the 6'6" tackle we have accepted his 1st big D1 offer to Baylor. The main story here is, with the exception of running backs here(which all the big schools offer) -smaller schools offer these kids and they jump on the first major D1 they get. Arkansas has got to get in here and at least try to start building a pipeline!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HELLLOOOO ARKANSAS-COME VISIT THE KATY TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Credit should go with the performance of duty, and not with what is very often the accident of glory." -T.Roosevelt

onebadrubi

If you hang around here long enough, you will notice many of the people with even keel minds and thoughts are wondering the same thing.  You aren't the only one curious why this staff has just about abandoned the Texas or even just north texas efforts.  That being said, they do pluck a few here and there.

Amityvillehogger

Wasn't there a RB outta there that we recruited hard. Ended up committing to UCLA I think? Several years back now.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on November 01, 2017, 01:01:28 pm
Wasn't there a RB outta there that we recruited hard. Ended up committing to UCLA I think? Several years back now.

Kyle Porter took an official visit to Arkansas. He's now at Texas.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 10:23:35 am
If you hang around here long enough, you will notice many of the people with even keel minds and thoughts are wondering the same thing.  You aren't the only one curious why this staff has just about abandoned the Texas or even just north texas efforts.  That being said, they do pluck a few here and there.

3 commits from Tx out of 11 so far this year. 

Richard Davenport

Quote from: ppdmike on November 01, 2017, 09:54:52 am
I grew up in a small town in Arkansas and now live in Katy, Texas. The Katy Tigers are a football powerhouse and my son plays on one of two freshmen teams that contain a total of 105 players. I went to my first Katy game this year and was blown away by the athletes on the field and the sheer number of kids. Between the sophomore, Jr varsity, and varsity football teams, I counted approx 125 players. The school district has 9 high schools and 77,000 kids and is anticipated to grow to 98,000 kids in 9 yrs. Ive watched several receive offers and Im always like "where are my Hogs?", I mean the Tigers are known nationwide for their football program with a 2015, 2012, and 2007 National Titles and 8 time Texas State Champs. Here are some examples where my Hogs are no where to be found:

Katy has a defensive lineman (Ojomo) this year who had no offers. I saw him play and was like how does he have no offers??!!! Two weeks later, TCU offers him. Another player from Katy, C Bethley TCU (2016) registered a sack against Arkansas this year(no AR offer). Paddy Fisher (2016 LB/no AR offer) is killing it at Northwestern. His best offer was Colorado State or BC. Arkansas has offered D. Glass (RB), but who hasn't? Whats the point of this rant? There should be a damn pipeline into this HS. Every week, even the crappy teams we play have D1 talent and size. The left over talent here is better than many small schools in rural America because they train them like its college. I just wish my Hogs could take advantage of this massive district and its talent to beef up Arkansas. Ohhh and the back up RB who filled in for Glass last year when he got hurt, accepted his first offer to BYU. Our DE end (Matus) accepted his first power 5 D1 offer to Arizona State, the 6'6" tackle we have accepted his 1st big D1 offer to Baylor. The main story here is, with the exception of running backs here(which all the big schools offer) -smaller schools offer these kids and they jump on the first major D1 they get. Arkansas has got to get in here and at least try to start building a pipeline!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HELLLOOOO ARKANSAS-COME VISIT THE KATY TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are fully aware of Katy but so is every other school in the nation. They and everyone else offered DE Max Wright. They obviously offered Glass.

They had the commitment of Ryder Anderson and they backed off.

Ojomo could have grade or attitude problems. Not saying that's the case but might be. A lot goes going into offering a kid besides ability.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 01, 2017, 01:21:55 pm
Kyle Porter took an official visit to Arkansas. He's now at Texas.

Aundre Dean is who I was thinking of RD.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

factchecker

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 01, 2017, 01:25:45 pm
They are fully aware of Katy but so is every other school in the nation. They and everyone else offered DE Max Wright. They obviously offered Glass.

They had the commitment of Ryder Anderson and they backed off.

Ojomo could have grade or attitude problems. Not saying that's the case but might be. A lot goes going into offering a kid besides ability.

Dang..... you ruined their false narrative.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on November 01, 2017, 01:32:50 pm
Aundre Dean is who I was thinking of RD.

Gotcha. I honestly couldn't remember.

ricepig

Correct, everyone knows about Katy, and have had their hooks in there for years. I guess if we had Chad Morris or somebody like that as HC or on staff, we'd probably pick up a player ever so often, but we are way behind, and that's not only counting the past 5 years.

LJHOG

November 02, 2017, 10:08:20 am #10 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:55:57 pm by LJHOG
Texas kids in the Houston area don't really think of Arkansas as a destination.  Lived here 35 years and that has been and still is the case.

Birminghog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 10:23:35 am

Katy is not north Texas. East Texas, okay, but not north.

Richard Davenport

Arkansas has also offered Katy 2019 DE Braedon Mowry.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Birminghog on November 02, 2017, 02:19:43 pm
Katy is not north Texas. East Texas, okay, but not north.

I said Texas or even north Texas.   Meaning many around here think we should recruit Texas more and should have better luck in north Texas.  I don't know how you failed to get tgat

ppdmike

Just for clarification :) , Katy Taylor Mustangs are not the Katy Tigers, that's where the kid is from Richard was referring to. Good article on a stud linebacker who runs a 4.8 but has great football speed, prob learned it at the high school he played at. He was a low end 3 star.

https://www.insidenu.com/2017/11/2/16587380/film-room-paddy-fisher-michigan-state-northwestern-defense-linebacker-redshirt-freshman-analysis
"Credit should go with the performance of duty, and not with what is very often the accident of glory." -T.Roosevelt

Cinco de Hogo

One of the problems the last few years is it has appeared that Texas players aren't what they were at one time.  However that in itself might be an opportunity.

Hatleyville454

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on November 01, 2017, 01:01:28 pm

First person I thought of was Daniel Lasco from The Woodlands that ended up playing at CAL

theFlyingHog

Hey go to that big Bucees and get me a hat and a big mug. They were closed for Harvey when I was there

ppdmike

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 05, 2017, 06:59:43 am
Hey go to that big Bucees and get me a hat and a big mug. They were closed for Harvey when I was there

LOL, thats right by my house! Thanks for the Harvey help!

island hog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 04, 2017, 01:49:23 pm
One of the problems the last few years is it has appeared that Texas players aren't what they were at one time.  However that in itself might be an opportunity.
Katy has so many top end D-1 players in their district, it's insane. Same down this way in Clear Creek ISD. Katy could take a HS all-star team and beat many JC teams every year. The numbers and quality is unbelievable so don't for a second think that the talent level has fallen off.

rzrbackramsfan

Oh god, Bret forgot about Houston? (Katy)

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: island hog on November 06, 2017, 11:32:18 pm
Katy has so many top end D-1 players in their district, it's insane. Same down this way in Clear Creek ISD. Katy could take a HS all-star team and beat many JC teams every year. The numbers and quality is unbelievable so don't for a second think that the talent level has fallen off.

Really? A bunch of my coworkers live in Katy, I imagine it as a town full of white collar workers, usually not football powerhouse material.

hogfan58

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 07, 2017, 12:20:32 am
Really? A bunch of my coworkers live in Katy, I imagine it as a town full of white collar workers, usually not football powerhouse material.

Katy has won 8 State Championships, the last one in 2015.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: island hog on November 06, 2017, 11:32:18 pm

Maybe but I still say that the overal perception of Texas talent is that it has fallen off some.

Piggfoot

When Arkansas left the SWC they took themselves out of Houston recruiting.
From Fayetteville to Houston is 450 miles. Houston to Baton Rouge 280 miles
Houston to College Station 80 miles.
When Arkansas was in the SWC they played half of their games in central Texas and one or two games in Houston. Parents could easily see their sons play.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogfan58

Is Florida closer to Fay and we recruit there? Parents can watch their kids play
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogfan58 on November 08, 2017, 05:47:02 am

Is Florida closer to Fay and we recruit there? Parents can watch their kids play

Better yet how far is it from Florida to Wisconsin, and how much colder.

ppdmike

Staying close to home is an issue for lots of kids, however the kids who committed to BYU, Northwestern, and Arizona State are going a long way to their schools. The committed to the first Power 5 that believed in them enough to offer before everyone else.

Piggfoot

[/quote How many are we getting from Florida after Bielema' first year?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

factchecker

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 08, 2017, 09:43:16 pm
How many are we getting from Florida after Bielema' first year?

2013: 4
2014: 7
2015: 4
2016: 4
2017: 2
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

1highhog

When CBB made up his current staff he didn't pick anyone that had rich recruiting ties in Texas and it has really hurt our recruiting in recent years.  I hope that "IF" we get a new coach he'll have at least a staff that has several guys with strong ties to Texas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on November 01, 2017, 01:52:18 pm
Correct, everyone knows about Katy, and have had their hooks in there for years. I guess if we had Chad Morris or somebody like that as HC or on staff, we'd probably pick up a player ever so often, but we are way behind, and that's not only counting the past 5 years.

Correct we have fallen behind in recruiting Texas. The current coaching staff has not made up much ground. IF we get a new coach I think he should have to agree to hire at least 1-2 assistant with strong ties to Texas.

nwahogfan1

I was shouted down for saying I thought CBB should have 3 coaches in DFW and 3 in Houston area recruiting every minute they are allowed.  I was even hoping CBB would hire assistants who had great contacts in those areas.  It was so stupid for CBB to hire assistants from Michigan areas and the midwest and none or very few from Texas.  Every year Texas has over 300 college bound football players.  We should be signing at least 10 from there every year.

nwahogfan1

I agree the closer you are I think the better you chances with most kids but other kids it does not matter.  You just have to identify them.     many schools in the north load up with 5 or so Florida kids every year.    But why are we going Florida when Texas is right in our back door.  We should be signing 10 Texans a year.

1highhog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 09, 2017, 10:33:05 pm
I agree the closer you are I think the better you chances with most kids but other kids it does not matter.  You just have to identify them.     many schools in the north load up with 5 or so Florida kids every year.    But why are we going Florida when Texas is right in our back door.  We should be signing 10 Texans a year.

Agreed.

FATHAWG08

What type of offense does Katy run? If it is a spread offense I'm sure Arkansas style is not appealing.
I love off season Football!!

hogfan58

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on November 10, 2017, 01:59:50 am
What type of offense does Katy run? If it is a spread offense I'm sure Arkansas style is not appealing.

I think they are one of the few HS in Texas that don't.

I truly believe that part of our problem with recruiting in Texas goes back to when Bert spoke to the Texas HS Coaches convention right after the bowl win after we beat Texas and he basically told them the spread wasn't the way to go, the I with a fullback (The UA/Bert way) was the way to win and our win over Texas proved it. That DID NOT go over well with HS coaches and notice how recruiting in Texas has fallen off since then. 

island hog

Quote from: hogfan58 on November 10, 2017, 06:06:35 am

I truly believe that part of our problem with recruiting in Texas goes back to when Bert spoke to the Texas HS Coaches convention right after the bowl win after we beat Texas and he basically told them the spread wasn't the way to go, the I with a fullback (The UA/Bert way) was the way to win and our win over Texas proved it. That DID NOT go over well with HS coaches and notice how recruiting in Texas has fallen off since then. 
The 7 on 7 disease has spread so far and wide in Texas that it's become a breeding ground for the Big 12.  I have watched over a hundred HS games over the last 15 years, Jr high on and more than 90% of them are from the shotgun.  The Hogs offense, at least in CBB's early days, didn't fit or appeal to the Texas High School scene... at least in the Houston area. 

Richard Davenport

Quote from: hogfan58 on November 10, 2017, 06:06:35 am

I spoke to several HS coaches the week after Kingsbury said what he did while traveling around in the DFW area before the A&M game and none of them thought it was a big deal. Most coaches will talk up their philosophy while trying to sell their program.

I also haven't heard coach since mentioned it. I highly doubt a coach will tell a kid not to attend a school based off comments like that.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Arkansas pulled a few kids from Katy before Bielema.  Bert basically gave up recruiting Houston and that is a major mistake.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 14, 2017, 04:21:55 pm
Arkansas pulled a few kids from Katy before Bielema.  Bert basically gave up recruiting Houston and that is a major mistake.

They didn't pull out of Houston. They had the commitment from Ryder Anderson last year and then backed off of him. They got an official visit from Kyle Porter and I was told he wanted to come but his parents wanted him at Texas.

They were going to hit Houston during the open week but the hurricane kept them away.

They like everyone else tried to recruit Max Wright. They've offered others in the area.

jimmiewkersh

My first HS football game in Texas was Longview Vs Marshall.  You had to buy tickets 3 weeks before the game just to get end-zone seats.  25,000+ blew me away.  While Marshall-Longview is a East Texas rivalry game, it is nothing when compared to Central and South Central Texas.  We used to recruit Jefferson, Dangerfield, Marshall, Longview, and Tyler because they were and are breeding grounds for incredible talent.
I went to Northside and remember some of the NHS-LR Central games of the 70's where the stands were packed on both sides and it never broke 5,000-6,000.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 14, 2017, 04:39:17 pm
They didn't pull out of Houston. They had the commitment from Ryder Anderson last year and then backed off of him. They got an official visit from Kyle Porter and I was told he wanted to come but his parents wanted him at Texas.

They were going to hit Houston during the open week but the hurricane kept them away.

They like everyone else tried to recruit Max Wright. They've offered others in the area.

1 commit of a fringe 3-star and 1 official visit isn't exactly tearing it up. Know what I mean.

There's so many athletes in the Houston area it seems something like 4-5 signees a year from that part of Texas should be normal.

hogfan58

We should be recruiting the hell out DFW east to the LA border. TONS of kids from great HS programs. Same goes for North LA.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 15, 2017, 01:00:43 am
1 commit of a fringe 3-star and 1 official visit isn't exactly tearing it up. Know what I mean.

There's so many athletes in the Houston area it seems something like 4-5 signees a year from that part of Texas should be normal.

Not sure Arkansas has ever gotten 4-5 a year from Houston. Maybe when Broyles was coaching and there was unlimited scholarships.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

If you can find a 1988 roster I'd bet there's a bunch of Houston area guys on it.

To go a little north, we rarely pull anybody from Duncanville/De Soto anymore either and those are talent producing schools.  Petrino swung for the fences but couldn't close, Bielema's staff closes a little better but aim much lower.

Hopefully the new crew will work like scalded dogs and improve the talent level.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 15, 2017, 01:57:21 pm
If you can find a 1988 roster I'd bet there's a bunch of Houston area guys on it.

To go a little north, we rarely pull anybody from Duncanville/De Soto anymore either and those are talent producing schools.  Petrino swung for the fences but couldn't close, Bielema's staff closes a little better but aim much lower.

Hopefully the new crew will work like scalded dogs and improve the talent level.

Prove me wrong and I will say I'm wrong.

flippinhogmana

I have been a hog fan for more than fifty years.  We have never had very many Houston athletes come here, we get a good one every now and then, but east texas as far as the DFW area has been much more our best bet.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

RockyMtnHog

It is because Arkansas does not recruit that area hard enough.  The Houston area is a gold mine for D1 talent and it always has been.  We need a minimum of two recruiters dedicated to the Houston and San Antonio area.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"