Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus......

Started by daprospecta, January 14, 2017, 07:47:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

daprospecta

Continued focus is the difference between us being a fringe good team versus us being a really good team. Exhibit A. We go on a run in today's game and Moses starts shooting outside shots and we start settling for low percentage shots. We have spurts where we don't move the ball around, get lazy on defense, shoot low percentage shots and don't box out.  If we play with solid fundamentals 90% of the game, we are the second best team in the SEC(yes, even better than florida). I'd say we are hitting at about a 65% clip and I hope CMA can turn that around.

Hawg Red

Too often we display a low basketball IQ. Dusty's backcourt violation was pathetic. Moses takes bad shots left and right. He just shoots the ball like someone playing around and shooting hoops by themselves. No form or squaring up. We're called for at least two unforced travels per game. For some reason, Manny felt compelled to take four 3s tonight. I feel like probably 11 of the 13 other SEC teams would have beaten us tonight. Glad they got the win but I'd be lying if I said any kind of confidence was restored with tonight's performance. We just happened to play an absolutely terrible high-major team.

Knot2brite

Being assertive is a major concern for me. We relax and start making small mental mistakes and then we depend on hitting a three to get us back on track. That works a third of the time but it is that two thirds of a time it doesn't work..it leads to us running into a four minute drought ..that would let a junior high team back into a game.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

daprospecta

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 14, 2017, 07:54:43 pm
Too often we display a low basketball IQ. Dusty's backcourt violation was pathetic. Moses takes bad shots left and right. He just shoots the ball like someone playing around and shooting hoops by themselves. No form or squaring up. We're called for at least two unforced travels per game. For some reason, Manny felt compelled to take four 3s tonight. I feel like probably 11 of the 13 other SEC teams would have beaten us tonight. Glad they got the win but I'd be lying if I said any kind of confidence was restored with tonight's performance. We just happened to play an absolutely terrible high-major team.
Agreed. Basketball IQ is a better term than focus. We simply out-talented Missouri but we will only do that will about 60% of the SEC teams this year.

pigsooie1000

the span where we were on a big run, scoring easy buckets every possession, and then suddenly ground to a halt with 4 quick midrange Js from Kingsley-Kinsgley-Thomas-Thompson was infuriating. none were in rhythm. so frustrating to have undersized bigs who also can't shoot. 6-8 or shorter guys with no handle or shot and no huge edge in strength/boards should not be recruited at all anymore. Cook-Thomas-Thompson all kill us on offense and aren't good at defense, it's 3 scholarships that combine for 1 very below-average player. if we got a 6-6 3 point shooter who could guard a 6-4 guy mediocrely and a 6-11 guy who is a decent defender/rebounder instead of those 3, we'd be a 3-4 seed. I don't get why we always have so many of that type of player (Miles another one) who can't contribute against big strong teams and also can't help us against small teams offensively really.