Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will anyone pony up the $17 million?

Started by hoggusamoungus, March 17, 2018, 07:55:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2018, 07:36:05 pm
It's the American Way - you develop a degree program BECAUSE you have a facility available. Look at RRS - that's what happens when a stadium is lacking mgmt.

Rice, why don't you donate the money...have a stadium named after you and a new degree program dedicated to you as well

Sure, in Fayetteville.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2018, 07:50:59 pm
Sure, in Fayetteville.

I'll work on it.

Football fields work well for Lacrosse - are there any Lacrosse teams in LR that want to take it over? Those Lacrosse guys are usually well off - maybe they can just buy the stadium.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2018, 07:55:34 pm
I'll work on it.

Football fields work well for Lacrosse - are there any Lacrosse teams in LR that want to take it over? Those Lacrosse guys are usually well off - maybe they can just buy the stadium.

Bluebirds soccer.

twistitup

DLUXHOG

Convert WMS to a paintball challenge course.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

moses_007

They should just tear the thing down.  It isn't worth spending another $20 million or more to host one Razorback game and high school playoffs each year.

Now if UALR would field a football team, that might be a different story.

LZH

March 19, 2018, 04:55:19 am #106 Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:18:07 am by LZH
Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2018, 08:17:56 am
So, you're going to give the students the extra 10,000 seats they lose from RRS games?? Wow, that's a lot of Central Arkansas fans who won't be able to attend the game at WMS, kind of defeats the purpose, right? Isn't the purpose of a game in WMS to be able to afford all of those ticket buyers from SEA, SWA, East, and Central Arkansas the opportunity to watch a game? You know, so mean ole NWA won't "Hog" them?

Not 'giving' anyone anything. Just backing up GK's assertion that folks from central and south Arkansas who get spit on for not attending every game in RRS as if they're piss poor fans by the "NWA hierarchy"...those who refuse to be bothered by driving south of the Washington County line to watch a Razorback game in WMS. NWA claims to have the greatest Hog fans on the planet, but a trip to LR is the same distance as a trip from LR to Fayetteville.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: LZH on March 19, 2018, 04:55:19 am
Not 'giving' anyone anything. Just backing up GK's assertion that folks from central and south Arkansas who get spit on for not attending every game in RRS as if they're piss poor fans by the "NWA hierarchy"...those who refuse to be bothered by driving south of the Washington County line to watch a Razorback game in WMS. NWA claims to have the greatest Hog fans on the planet, but a trip to LR is the same distance as a trip from LR to Fayetteville.

So, we need a game in central Ar. to keep fans in central, southern, and eastern Ar. interested. But we need the fans in NWA to come down and help fill the stadium, for the game we moved off campus. I"m not the smartest guy that has shat between two shoes. but something isn't  adding up here.

twistitup

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on March 19, 2018, 06:00:39 am
I"m not the smartest guy that has shat between two shoes. but something isn't  adding up here.

I like that!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2018, 05:09:32 pm
Do you feel it should still be a memorial to our Veterans if we aren't going to take care of it?

There are millions of ways to have a memorial without having a stadium.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

opineonswine

Quote from: moses_007 on March 19, 2018, 12:15:01 am
They should just tear the thing down.  It isn't worth spending another $20 million or more to host one Razorback game and high school playoffs each year.

That is the practical answer.

opineonswine

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on March 19, 2018, 06:00:39 am
So, we need a game in central Ar. to keep fans in central, southern, and eastern Ar. interested. But we need the fans in NWA to come down and help fill the stadium, for the game we moved off campus. I"m not the smartest guy that has shat between two shoes. but something isn't  adding up here.

For example (and there are others) Arkansas is in better shape than Tennessee for proximity to the rest of the state.

Little Rock to F'ville is 189 miles and about 3 hours.

Nashville to Knoxville is 180 miles and about 3 hours.
Memphis to Knoxville is ~400 miles and 6 hours.
They don't think they have to play a game off campus to attract fans.

It has nothing to do with "NWA hierarchy".  The campus is in F'ville.  It makes sense to maximize the facility on campus economically, for recruiting purposes, etc, etc.

DeltaBoy

I want the state to find a new location and build a new WMS and Demo the old one.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: 99toLife on March 17, 2018, 10:37:49 pm
It's a dump, and any money spent on it now is like waxing a garbage truck. 

They spent 7.3 million back in 2009 to revamp the press box, and add club seating. Would be throwing good money after bad.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ricepig

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 19, 2018, 08:32:16 am
They spent 7.3 million back in 2009 to revamp the press box, and add club seating. Would be throwing good money after bad.

It's not worth the extra money to get it up to "SEC" shape. If they want to have a FCS or low level G5 game there in the years we have 8 home games, then fine. The problem is those requiring it be a SEC game or P5 game, that shouldn't fly.

razorbackfaninar

Continuing to play games in Little Rock is just dumb.  I am from Central Arkansas, I still live here.  I have a lot of really great memories of games at WMS, but it has outlived it's necessity and the need for it has been overblown.  The stadium holds 54,000 people.  If it sells out and half of the people there are the fans from the far reaches of southern and eastern Arkansas that we are trying not alienate, That's still only 22,000 people roughly that we are trying to placate?

The debate itself is dumb.  Worse, the practice is dumb and wasteful. We are capitulating to a small yet vocal minority of fans.  It has been beyond time to let this go, and the reasons are clear and plain for any one who honestly wants to look at them. Sure it will make some people unhappy at first, but the issue is that instead of just ending it as we should have probably 10 years ago we tried to drag it out to make it easier on the fans to lose a sentimental link to the past.  Now what has been done is to allow this zombified debate that will not die, drag on an on until too much ill will has been engendered on both sides.   

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2018, 08:23:13 am
I want the state to find a new location and build a new WMS and Demo the old one.

I live in middle TN and a new soccer stadium has been approved by the city of Nashville.  Estimated cost is $250-275 million with seating capacity of 27,500.  WMS seats roughly twice that many so a new WMS would cost in the $500 million range.  Not gonna happen.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: moses_007 on March 19, 2018, 12:15:01 am

Now if UALR would field a football team, that might be a different story.

They could easily move the HS championship games to UCA.

Ben

Just take Arkansas back to Fayetteville where they can blame the city for their losses, and let WMS be occupied by UALR football along with the other football uses. Problem solved.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

hogcards

Quote from: ricepig on March 17, 2018, 02:37:39 pm
You can't read, no one has paid $20m, or even close to it.

I read perfectly fine kid.  However you don't do math very well.

If Fat Asse's buyout is set at a combined 15.4 between the U of A and the Foundation and Long's is at 4.6 million through 2022. That's pretty close to 20 million total.

http://newsok.com/college-football-notebook-bret-bielemas-buyout-set-at-15.4-million/article/5577707

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2017/11/15/ua-jeff-long-can-be-paid-up-to-4625-million-but-could-be-reduced-by-new-job
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ricepig

Quote from: hogcards on March 19, 2018, 11:47:30 am
I read perfectly fine kid.  However you don't do math very well.

If Fat Asse's buyout is set at a combined 15.4 between the U of A and the Foundation and Long's is at 4.6 million through 2022. That's pretty close to 20 million total.

http://newsok.com/college-football-notebook-bret-bielemas-buyout-set-at-15.4-million/article/5577707

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2017/11/15/ua-jeff-long-can-be-paid-up-to-4625-million-but-could-be-reduced-by-new-job

No, you said they had "written" the checks, I told you no one has written checks for $20m for the buyouts. No one knows what the buyouts will end up being, and no booster, or boosters have given the RF $20m for the buyouts.

And at least link the agreed to the maximum buyout, lol.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/bret_bielema_arkansas_agree_on.html

hogcards

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2018, 11:50:37 am
No, you said they had "written" the checks, I told you no one has written checks for $20m for the buyouts. No one knows what the buyouts will end up being, and no booster, or boosters have given the RF $20m for the buyouts.

And at least link the agreed to the maximum buyout, lol.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/bret_bielema_arkansas_agree_on.html

Stop already.  They're "going to" end up paying them close to 20 million. Nobody's going to hire these clowns to offset their buyouts.

The U of A and foundation are on the hook for this.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ricepig

Quote from: hogcards on March 19, 2018, 12:08:34 pm
Stop already.  They're "going to" end up paying them close to 20 million. Nobody's going to hire these clowns to offset their buyouts.

The U of A and foundation are on the hook for this.

And nobody has "written" the check already, fool. Also, 4.6 + 11.9= 16.5

hogcards

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2018, 12:37:32 pm
And nobody has "written" the check already, fool. Also, 4.6 + 11.9= 16.5

Fat as& is owed two separate buyouts.

Read more and post less.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

sowmonella

Quote from: hogcards on March 19, 2018, 01:04:04 pm
Fat as& is owed two separate buyouts.

Read more and post less.
Just how big of a old boy are you? You sure throw the term fat as$ around pretty freely .

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

99toLife

Quote from: sowmonella on March 19, 2018, 01:41:40 pm
Just how big of a old boy are you? You sure throw the term fat as$ around pretty freely .

HA! That's a classic!  ;) +1

hogcards

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2018, 01:18:28 pm
No he isn't, read and comprehend more.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/01/30/bret-bielemas-buyout-arkansas-11-9-million/1080983001/

http://www.arkansasonline.com/bielemabuyout/

You're insinuating the foundation is the only entity on the hook for the buyout?

That's not true, but if it makes you feel better, shine on you crazy diamond.   ;)

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

99toLife

Quote from: hogcards on March 19, 2018, 02:01:16 pm
You're insinuating the foundation is the only entity on the hook for the buyout?

That's not true, but if it makes you feel better, shine on you crazy diamond.   ;)

Pink Floyd reference always good. ;)

hogcards

Quote from: sowmonella on March 19, 2018, 01:41:40 pm

I'm obese.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Sourpuss

I, as part of a larger group, would consider donating the $17 million but there would DEFINITELY be stipulations.  Among other things, we would need assurances that we would have a voice going forward that we most definitely did NOT have with the previous administration (except when our checkbooks were out). 

ricepig

Quote from: hogcards on March 19, 2018, 02:01:16 pm

Ok, tell me who else is own the hook for the buyout since the RF is listed as the third party guarantee in every coach's contract. Just provide a link showing who else is paying his buyout, surely you can come up with that.

ricepig

Quote from: Sourpuss on March 19, 2018, 02:13:17 pm
I, as part of a larger group, would consider donating the $17 million but there would DEFINITELY be stipulations.  Among other things, we would need assurances that we would have a voice going forward that we most definitely did NOT have with the previous administration (except when our checkbooks were out). 

I assume you are talking about Governor Hutchinson's administration since they are responsible for WMS, you didn't like Beebe's?

99toLife

Help me out here. Who owns WMS, The city, the county or the state?

ricepig

Quote from: 99toLife on March 19, 2018, 02:27:25 pm
Help me out here. Who owns WMS, The city, the county or the state?

State

99toLife

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2018, 02:32:42 pm
State

Thank you, then any money that goes into to it for anything should come from all the taxpayers in Arkansas. Good luck with that.

ricepig

Quote from: 99toLife on March 19, 2018, 02:34:13 pm
Thank you, then any money that goes into to it for anything should come from all the taxpayers in Arkansas. Good luck with that.

I mean, the city or county could pay to improve it, but fat chance on that, too.

99toLife

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2018, 02:38:56 pm
I mean, the city or county could pay to improve it, but fat chance on that, too.

In certain cases I could see that happening, but not in this case.

hogcards

Why not expand it, rebuild a lot of the infrastructure and play 2 or 3 games there per year?   :D

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Sourpuss

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2018, 02:21:46 pm
I assume you are talking about Governor Hutchinson's administration since they are responsible for WMS, you didn't like Beebe's?
while it is true that I was no fan of Beebe, i was actually referring to Jeff Long, I am speaking on behalf of a small group of private sector individuals that would/have entertained the possibility of making a philanthropic contribution for our humble state.  We will not be railroaded by the current AD as we were in the past.

99toLife

Quote from: Sourpuss on March 19, 2018, 03:04:56 pm
while it is true that I was no fan of Beebe, i was actually referring to Jeff Long, I am speaking on behalf of a small group of private sector individuals that would/have entertained the possibility of making a philanthropic contribution for our humble state.  We will not be railroaded by the current AD as we were in the past.

Nothing is stopping them, contribute away by all means.

ricepig

Quote from: Sourpuss on March 19, 2018, 03:04:56 pm

Well, if one has the clout and wherewithal, they don't get railroaded. As to who's administration, I knew.  8)

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 17, 2018, 01:30:00 pm
They did demolish the old Texas Stadium when the Cowboys moved on to their new stadium.   And... old Texas Stadium had a much greater and significant history than WMS.... Just sayin....

Texas Stadium had some history to it but it wasn't much of a stadium.  Arlington took a chance on the bonds for JerryWorld and looks like they will pay off an infintely better facility ten years early.   17 Million wouldn't even have patched the hole in the old Texas Stadium and it will be little more than a paint job on WMS.

buldozer

Today I heard a group of fat cats out of prairie grove was putting together the $17M.....

Redhogs

Quote from: hogcards on March 19, 2018, 02:51:30 pm
Why not expand it, rebuild a lot of the infrastructure and play 2 or 3 games there per year?   :D
It's 2018....not 1958
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

99toLife

Quote from: buldozer on March 19, 2018, 03:32:13 pm
Today I heard a group of fat cats out of prairie grove was putting together the $17M.....

HA!  Why would they do that?

Jackrabbit Hog

To whom do I make the check payable?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

99toLife

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 19, 2018, 04:09:18 pm

Apparently the State of Arkansas, they own WMS.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2018, 08:23:13 am

I bet you wanted the confederacy to win also..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 19, 2018, 04:09:18 pm

Certified only.  Can't trust a Lonoke County lawyer.