Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Morris on Finebaum

Started by RUN N GUN, December 15, 2017, 01:52:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 05:56:56 pm
You just described the legal process of offer and acceptance.  That isn't the question.  What if two players have an offer, one is tops on the board and the other is second.  The second faxes an LOI and the first says he wants to wait until February.  Do the coaches accept the LOI from the second choice or not?  No one knows how this is going to work. 
that is the coaches decision.  if the coach decides to not accept the LOI because he is waiting on his #1 choice he can do that.

ultimately the coach is in control of whether to accept a player's LOI.

obviously, ethically, he should communicate that to the #2 recruit and tell him not to submit his letter of intent because it wont be accepted.

if the coach decides to accept the #2 LOI, then the #1 choice may have to find another school if there isnt a slot yet.

the only difference is that there will now be a month and a half for that to happen rather than all coming to a head in one day.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 15, 2017, 06:07:05 pm
that is the coaches decision.  if the coach decides to not accept the LOI because he is waiting on his #1 choice he can do that.

ultimately the coach is in control of whether to accept a player's LOI.

obviously, ethically, he should communicate that to the #2 recruit and tell him not to submit his letter of intent because it wont be accepted.

if the coach decides to accept the #2 LOI, then the #1 choice may have to find another school if there isnt a slot yet.

the only difference is that there will now be a month and a half for that to happen rather than all coming to a head in one day.

I understand completely. So what does number one do?  Take the bird in his hand or wait on the better offer or the one he wants?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on December 15, 2017, 02:02:00 pm

Your signature (Christmas Vacation scene) just played like 10 minute's ago
Quote from: Hogtimes on December 15, 2017, 03:02:58 pm
Has a good idea who is staff will be ....sounds to me like he does not know for certain.

The Defensive Coordinator is going to pick his coaches who have experience in his scheme.  I doubt he (DC) is going to be able to poach the LB, DL, CB/S coach from the same program he's coming from.

This means even more interviews and thus lies the uncertainty.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

arkfan81

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 15, 2017, 05:43:05 pm
He's staying on message and not picking fights with other SEC coaches about up tempo offenses. I'll take it.

I'm already tired of hearing "championships".
Have faith...

Hawghiggs

I like the early signing period. It's only rough on us because we have a new coach. Next year. We will be looking at it differently.  We will be able to fill up the class with solid commits and then just focus on need positions.

lakecityhog

I think the early signing period actually helps the "non-elite" teams. Guys like Saban and Meyer can't string kids along til the last minute and then drop the grey-shirt thing on them.

Kids will be able to see who they sign early and then make a decision to stick around or look elsewhere. Also a kid just tells them I want to sign in the early period and he will know very quickly how much is is really wanted.

As far as this year goes, it is pretty much a slim class anyway. I would much rather Morris give the kids that are already here a real opportunity to show what they can do before making a judgement on their futures. We can go for the bigger class next year.

hog of steele

He just sounds like he has his stuff together. 1-0 in talking season!

ChicoHog

I could watch Laura Rutledge all day. 

HogNTX

arkfan81

Quote from: HogNTX on December 15, 2017, 09:58:14 pm
Why?

When coach b came here, he said and did everything everyone wanted to hear. But after awhile it became just a speech. After everything coach b said he came here for, what did we win? Nothing. And I'm a coach b fan

Now We have a new coach and guess what, sounds lot like who we just fired. So I'm just saying pump the brakes little. Let's just hope to be competitive first. We are long way from any championship talk
Have faith...

Oklahawg

Quote from: BenDial on December 15, 2017, 04:17:19 pm
Ever since Venables's name was thrown out there, I haven't been able to consider it as a legitimate option. This is especially true since the Gus Malzhan rope-a-dope raise. Something that sounds too good to be true usually is too good to be true. Getting Venables sounds too good to be true.

Then a soundbite like this happens, and I try to make sense of it. He specifically said he was going to wait until after the Dec 20 signing day to announce some of the staff. To me, that sounds like a courtesy. Not a professional courtesy, mind you, but a friendly courtesy. We all know that Dabo, Morris, and Venables are stand-up guys, friendly guys, and have a different kind of relationship. It's the kind of relationship that you give a friendly courtesy to.

I combine that with Morris saying something along the lines of "not wanting to make Dabo upset" when asked about the Venables rumors and the very strange comment that Venables had when asked if he was in contact with Arkansas about the head coaching job. He said that it was a difficult question to answer and that his representatives have been in contact with our representatives. What's difficult about that? If your representatives had been in contact with Arkansas folks, the answer is yes. Unless, of course, the difficulty was about the possibility that it wasn't for the head coaching job and the wrong question was asked.

All of this is just strange. Their friendship (including Swinney) and vague talk just muddies the water, especially for a fan base that is desperately wanting something great to happen here.

I still don't think he's coming, but I sure would like for someone to shut it down completely if it's not. That little part of my brain that holds all of my hopes and dreams for Razorback football is getting more hopeful than perhaps it should.

I have thought for a while he has his eyes on a Clemson position coach to be the DC (or at least come to UA) and that is why the Clemson chatter continues.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 15, 2017, 10:13:14 pm
I have thought for a while he has his eyes on a Clemson position coach to be the DC (or at least come to UA) and that is why the Clemson chatter continues.

How do you tell your team you are bringing in the best DC in the country and bring in a position coach for the job?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Haters gonna hate

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on December 15, 2017, 02:19:01 pm
If we sign Bohannon, there will be nothing disastrous about it.  Just give us that one guy, and recruiting will have been a huge success.

We will find out on the 19th

BenDial

The only Clemson defensive coach (other than BV) who was on the staff when Morris was there is the cornerbacks coach. None of them look like they have the resume of someone ready to take a P5 DC position.

Phil D

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 15, 2017, 02:17:42 pm
What did he say that makes you think that?

To me it just sounded like he cannot say anything officially until after the bowl games, but he has a good idea of what his staff will be.

That's what I got too.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

bigred223

Quote from: arkfan81 on December 15, 2017, 10:10:39 pm
When coach b came here, he said and did everything everyone wanted to hear. But after awhile it became just a speech. After everything coach b said he came here for, what did we win? Nothing. And I'm a coach b fan

Now We have a new coach and guess what, sounds lot like who we just fired. So I'm just saying pump the brakes little. Let's just hope to be competitive first. We are long way from any championship talk

I mean he could come out and say we hope to be competitive, but that wouldn't be exciting. If his goal is to just be competitive then he wouldn't be here. I don't think he's promised anything.

Phil D

Quote from: bigred223 on December 16, 2017, 02:13:16 am
I mean he could come out and say we hope to be competitive, but that wouldn't be exciting. If his goal is to just be competitive then he wouldn't be here. I don't think he's promised anything.
+1
GO HOGS!!!!!!