Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College Football Live just completely snubbed Austin Allen....

Started by hobhog, August 16, 2017, 04:29:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 17, 2017, 12:32:20 pm
When did Gus strike gold?  Cam?  That wasn't under Gus, that was under Cheeznuts who had a booster purchase him.  Although, I think stidham is probably the highest touted gus has had yet, I hope he flames out like the rest.

If our defense isn't improved over last year, he'll have a career day against us. May suck the rest of the season though.

I honestly think the energy and enthusiasm that the players and coaches have for the 3-4 can't be overstated.
This is my non-signature signature.

Jackrabbit Hog

In all seriousness, based on what I watched last year (and I watch virtually all the SEC football there is), Bentley isn't one of the top five or six QBs in the conference.  Even in his own division, I like Georgia's and Missouri's QBs better. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Michael_E_Davis

They can 'say' whatever they want!  As they say,  the proof is in the pudding!  If Austin Allen gets out there and is the best QB in the SEC,  they won't be able to deny it.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

VBCHog

All my life, the Hogs have been disrespected nationally especially with the snubbing of DMAC in the Heisman and I am just ready for us to win big a few years in a row to demand respect. I don't know why they hate us so much but they just don't respect us nationally.

hogfan14

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 17, 2017, 02:38:41 pm
In all seriousness, based on what I watched last year (and I watch virtually all the SEC football there is), Bentley isn't one of the top five or six QBs in the conference.  Even in his own division, I like Georgia's and Missouri's QBs better.

I agree about Missouri but I would take Bentley over Eason, who I just wasn't that impressed with last year

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 17, 2017, 09:01:50 am
Just win more games.

Nick Fitzgerald doesn't have to apparently, he's being hyped up. Stidham doesn't even have to play a down yet for Auburn and he's being hyped. "Just win more games" is bullshite, this is a complete shot at AA and Arkansas. Hell, I find Missouri annoying yet they even ignored Lock.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 07:06:00 pm
No offense taken, they do have some crazy measures that they use. If I were a sportswriter I wouldn't have the guts to highly rank a player like Jarrett Stidham at Auburn, who only had 3 starts at Baylor (but played sparingly in the 7 others...mop up) and was hurt in 2 of the 3 that he started and I believe, lost two of the three that he started. Now the kid apparently has a really good arm from all reports, but he hasn't seen enough action in college to rate him so highly. That's a projection pulled straight out of their arses. At least Sean White has seen numerable games of experience in the SEC.

And as I mentioned above, what hurt Allen in terms of his QBR was so many INT's late in the season. Allen averaged throwing 1 INT in every 26.7 pass attempts by the end of the bowl season, I think that was the worst in the SEC, but I might be wrong. In comparison, Sean White threw 1 INT in every 69.3 pass attempts. You can see how that would damage a players ranking.

Seems some reporters get hung up on strong arms. Watching Last Chance U, Franklin had a strong arm and was a freak athlete. Yet the kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a football.

As CBB says about Kelly, his strong arm has good sides and bad. So I would think these reporters would learn strong arm is one of the lesser indicators for a good QB.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 12247 on August 16, 2017, 09:14:48 pm
We have the unlucky task of facing 5 of those QBs in the 19 highest ranked QBR during our regular season.  I think Allen is overlooked by what happened last season.  Great QBs don't get their team to halftime with huge leads and then blow it in the second half.  QBs get too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing but that goes with the position.

If my memory hasn't failed me - I don't think BA was getting a lot of hype at the beginning of his senior year. Look at how much hype he was getting at the end of the season.

Also these reporters need to look at Enos' record with seniors QBs.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HamSammich on August 16, 2017, 09:15:24 pm
Guys I'm not looking for a fight because frankly I don't care. But the two games we blew last year hurt all the preseason hype we would have got. We reap what we sow. In every facet of life.

Don't know how anyone could argue with that. It is fact.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on August 17, 2017, 08:37:21 am
Not being a homer here but Drew Lock has the best QB skills in the SEC from a pure ability standpoint.

He is a good one. Didn't he take a pounding his freshman year? Shows he is pretty mentally tough as well. That is a good trait for a QB.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: twistitup on August 17, 2017, 11:36:32 am
Poor lil Arkansas

Winning solves everything - now go get some W's

FINISH

I'm starting to see a pattern here.  ;)

code red

Quote from: hobhog on August 16, 2017, 04:29:38 pm
Said USCe probably had best QB in Sec, with UGA and AU close behind him. No mention of AA.

We are certainly flying under the radar so far, which is good IMO, but good grief how can they ignore a 5th year QB that led several categories last year?

Your only as good as your parts. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: VBCHog on August 17, 2017, 04:01:21 pm
All my life, the Hogs have been disrespected nationally especially with the snubbing of DMAC in the Heisman and I am just ready for us to win big a few years in a row to demand respect. I don't know why they hate us so much but they just don't respect us nationally.
4th Qtr collapses....Rutgers, Texas A&M, Missouri, VT, Texas Tech, the list goes on and on.   In addition....this coach has yet to beat Bama or Texas A&M....these are not points I wish to make to be negative.  These are just facts.  Could be the reason we are not considered elite.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ChitownHawg

Quote from: code red on August 17, 2017, 06:01:27 pm
4th Qtr collapses....Rutgers, Texas A&M, Missouri, VT, Texas Tech, the list goes on and on.   In addition....this coach has yet to beat Bama or Texas A&M....these are not points I wish to make to be negative.  These are just facts.  Could be the reason we are not considered elite.

Athlon has him #27 out of the 130 coaches. Just as in recruiting, doing well nationally is one thing. Then look at the SEC. He is #5.

Most people in this country understood the mess he inherited and realistically how long it would take to turn it around. The turn-around is happening at a time when the SEC is growing stronger especially the West. That slows down the results of the turn-around.

Seems Athlon doesn't share your "not to be negative" perspective. I think I will trust Athlon and my own eyes over your opinion. If you don't mind.  ;D

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaches-2017

hogcard1964

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 17, 2017, 06:24:48 pm
The turn-around is happening at a time when the SEC is growing stronger especially the West. That slows down the results of the turn-around.

It's happening now?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 17, 2017, 06:24:48 pm
Athlon has him #27 out of the 130 coaches. Just as in recruiting, doing well nationally is one thing. Then look at the SEC. He is #5.

Most people in this country understood the mess he inherited and realistically how long it would take to turn it around. The turn-around is happening at a time when the SEC is growing stronger especially the West. That slows down the results of the turn-around.

Seems Athlon doesn't share your "not to be negative" perspective. I think I will trust Athlon and my own eyes over your opinion. If you don't mind.  ;D

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaches-2017

I'm not going to worry too much about where Austin Allen is ranked to begin the season as a QB. If he can throw for 30 or more TD's and limit his INT's to 8 or less, he'll get his due attention as the season progresses and we will keep moving the sticks. Need the O-Line to show up and the RB's to run hard to the right creases because that will distract defenses from focusing more so on pass defense, which will help Austin and our Receivers.

So much of this pre-season predicting is just so much b.s. No one truly knows how Stidham at Auburn, Eason at Georgia, Fitzgerald at Miss St, Bentley at S. Car, Lock at Missouri, Etling at LSU or Patterson at Ole Miss will do as the season progresses. A really good QB doesn't get to really show his stuff as a QB if he doesn't have an effective run game and good pass pro, so we will see how it all plays out.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 17, 2017, 07:58:19 pm
I'm not going to worry too much about where Austin Allen is ranked to begin the season as a QB. If he can throw for 30 or more TD's and limit his INT's to 8 or less, he'll get his due attention as the season progresses and we will keep moving the sticks. Need the O-Line to show up and the RB's to run hard to the right creases because that will distract defenses from focusing more so on pass defense, which will help Austin and our Receivers.

So much of this pre-season predicting is just so much b.s. No one truly knows how Stidham at Auburn, Eason at Georgia, Fitzgerald at Miss St, Bentley at S. Car, Lock at Missouri, Etling at LSU or Patterson at Ole Miss will do as the season progresses. A really good QB doesn't get to really show his stuff as a QB if he doesn't have an effective run game and good pass pro, so we will see how it all plays out.

No offense, but did you read his post?

Hawgphat

"Paybacks are hell".  - - - Perhaps a super-successful Austin Allen may have an opportunity to snub "College Football Live".  Football is a male sport; - - but that could be considered to be "tit for tat".  It would shickle the tit out of me.

Headhog32

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 17, 2017, 09:07:20 pm
"Paybacks are hell".  - - - Perhaps a super-successful Austin Allen may have an opportunity to snub "College Football Live".  Football is a male sport; - - but that could be considered to be "tit for tat".  It would shickle the tit out of me.
lol well said, Austin Allen is a winner I believe he will get his due. id much rather our QB be talked about highly after the season or as the season progresses than before season when rankings don't matter

ChitownHawg

ChitownHawg

MuskogeeHogFan

August 18, 2017, 07:05:32 am #71 Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:30:46 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 17, 2017, 11:44:15 pm
Hey stop instigating.  ;)

I quoted the wrong post. Whoops! ;)

As to your post which I actually DID quote, I really like Bielema and so much of that which he has brought to the program. It's good that we are neither of, "Police Blotter U" or "NCAA Investigation U".

Even though on average we have been a 7-5/8-4 team over a period of time that extends a lot further back than the Bielema era, at some point we have to bump up and win a few more to keep the masses happy and interested. For Bielema's tenure, that time is probably now. Bielema gets a lot more respect from his peers than he does from a certain part of the Arkansas fan base. Most of those measure a HC by nothing more than wins. I think that is a huge mistake, but that isn't going to change the opinion of some.

All that said, I do think that Bielema needs to win 9 or more this year to silence some of his more vocal critics whether on call-in shows or message boards like this. Heck, I'm not even a critic of his and I too think that it is time to win 9, when in all reality, 9-10 wins were possible in each of the last three seasons. The folks who want us to be considered to be "elite" don't seem to understand that being an elite team in the SEC is winning 9 or 10 games every season and every few years being in the mix for the SECCG and a play off spot. Who has done that on a fairly regular basis over the past 10 years? LSU has been to the SECCG twice, Auburn twice and Alabama 6 doggone times. All three possess significant recruiting advantages over Arkansas.

I know a lot of folks don't think that Bielema is as good as he was once billed to be as a HC. I know that there have been some mistakes made while he has been here. But I also know that for every coach, better athletes sometimes can save your arse in critical situations that cover up for those mistakes. Bielema is recruiting better to Arkansas. Hopefully that will in turn create more wins. If that can happen we can probably move from the 7/8 win position to the 8/9 position and that should mean that every four or five years we'll have a chance to creep up to 10-11 wins before we drop back down to 8-9.

But this isn't about Bielema, it is more about the challenge that we face in recruiting and he is just the most current target of criticism. 
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 18, 2017, 07:05:32 am

As to your post which I actually DID quote, I really like Bielema and so much of that which he has brought to the program. It's good that we are neither of, "Police Blotter U" or "NCAA Investigation U".

Even though on average we have been a 7-5/8-4 team over a period of time that extends a lot further back than the Bielema era, at some point we have to bump up and win a few more to keep the masses happy and interested. For Bielema's tenure, that time is probably now. Bielema gets a lot more respect from his peers than he does from a certain part of the Arkansas fan base. Most of those measure a HC by nothing more than wins. I think that is a huge mistake, but that is going to change the opinion of some.

All that said, I do think that Bielema needs to win 9 or more this year to silence some of his more vocal critics whether on call-in shows or message boards like this. Heck, I'm not even a critic of his and I too think that it is time to win 9, when in all reality, 9-10 wins were possible in each of the last three seasons. The folks who want us to be considered to be "elite" don't seem to understand that being an elite team in the SEC is winning 9 or 10 games every season and every few years being in the mix for the SECCG and a play off spot. Who has done that on a fairly regular basis over the past 10 years? LSU has been to the SECCG twice, Auburn twice and Alabama 6 doggone times. All three possess significant recruiting advantages over Arkansas.

I know a lot of folks don't think that Bielema is as good as he was once billed to be as a HC. I know that there have been some mistakes made while he has been here. But I also know that for every coach, better athletes sometimes can save your arse in critical situations that cover up for those mistakes. Bielema is recruiting better to Arkansas. Hopefully that will in turn create more wins. If that can happen we can probably move from the 7/8 win position to the 8/9 position and that should mean that every four or five years we'll have a chance to creep up to 10-11 wins before we drop back down to 8-9.

But this isn't about Bielema, it is more about the challenge that we face in recruiting and he is just the most current target of criticism.

I should have said I knew which post of mine you were talking about. It happens. More so as we get older.  ;D

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 18, 2017, 07:05:32 am

Even though on average we have been a 7-5/8-4 team over a period of time that extends a lot further back than the Bielema era, at some point we have to bump up and win a few more to keep the masses happy and interested. For Bielema's tenure, that time is probably now. Bielema gets a lot more respect from his peers than he does from a certain part of the Arkansas fan base. Most of those measure a HC by nothing more than wins. I think that is a huge mistake, but that isn't going to change the opinion of some.

I think he would agree it is time to win more. Smiley seemed ok with losing. I think CBB it sticks in his craw. Which is what I want. I don't want being ok with losing. 

mizzouman

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 17, 2017, 10:23:01 am
He's in a system to spread the field and sling it around.  This makes QB's look better, but they struggle when growing and getting to the next level. 
ALL QB's are system QB's.  What does the system have to do with having pure talent?  You either have it or not regardless of the system.  Also, we are not talking who will be the best NFL QB.  No one knows.  We are talking college football, I think.

mizzouman

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 17, 2017, 05:48:08 pm
He is a good one. Didn't he take a pounding his freshman year? Shows he is pretty mentally tough as well. That is a good trait for a QB.
No, quite the opposite.  Didn't get sack hardly at all. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 18, 2017, 07:35:07 am
I think he would agree it is time to win more. Smiley seemed ok with losing. I think CBB it sticks in his craw. Which is what I want. I don't want being ok with losing. 

I agree, he knows it is time to win more. JFB, well after we found out more about his financial situation we knew why he was so willing to come back as an Interim for one year and I am sure he knew it was only going to be for one year and he treated it like a Temp job.

I also agree that the lack of success that he has experienced at Arkansas sticks in Bielema's craw. The thing is, I really think he underestimated the difficulty of the task at Arkansas. He was coming from a respected P-5 conference where he had produced a lot of success and I am sure that he thought that he could just roll in down here and over the course of 3-4 years, everything would begin to click as he rebuilt the program in the image of Iowa/Wisconsin.

But I don't think that he understood that the real arm's race in the SEC was in recruiting and I wouldn't be surprised if he was taken aback that higher rated big name recruits didn't automatically beat a path to Bret Bielema's door (give his past success in the B10) in Fayetteville. I'm just not certain that he understood the grip that teams like Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee had on recruiting in the SEC and how difficult it would be to carve out his share of those more productive recruits.

There isn't any doubt that after some ups and downs through the first 11 games of last season that he most likely had visions of a 9 win season (and continued progress in terms of winning) dancing in his head. But the way we lost to Missouri and Va Tech was not only a blow to Bielema's confidence and ego, but a blow to the building national respect for the program. It never looks good for a program when your team folds their tents and blows first half leads to lose games that you should have won.

Though you will never hear this from the Staff in Pressers, I'll bet that the focus and mood in the offices among the Staff is one of "all hands on deck", feeling the pressure for the team and the Staff to redeem themselves this year. This isn't, "just another year" for Bielema.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 17, 2017, 05:41:11 pm
Seems some reporters get hung up on strong arms. Watching Last Chance U, Franklin had a strong arm and was a freak athlete. Yet the kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a football.

As CBB says about Kelly, his strong arm has good sides and bad. So I would think these reporters would learn strong arm is one of the lesser indicators for a good QB.
Good quarterbacking is about knowing the plays first of all, reading the defense, decision making, then last but not least accuracy. You can do all of the preceding's but if you can't throw it to the right spot all of that is in vain.

Oh yeah and there is a clutch gene that you just can't teach. Some players have it while others don't.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

GuvHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 17, 2017, 10:18:11 am
True; however, you obviously blame AA for much of our second half woes last year. IF as you say QBs get too much credit/blame on the outcome of the game, then your "Great QBs don't get their team to halftime with huge leads and then blow it in the second half" makes totally NO sense whatsoever. Then again, how come I'm NOT in the least bit shocked ??? ::) :-X

You are aware that AA took much of the responsibility for the second half collapses in the last 2 games aren't you? He attempted to put the offense on his shoulders and tried to force things that weren't there. He's more mature and experienced this year so I don't see him making those mistakes again. I look for a big year from AA.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Biggus Piggus

My understanding is that the ESPN folks assume (based on sheer conjecture) that Bret Bielema will be fired after this season, so they are not giving Arkansas any more than the barest attention. This is based on distant and shallow analysis. Also - ESPN's ability to "connect the loop" and inform their college football analysis with info from pro scouts is nonexistent now, because of the way they've gutted their news organization. ESPN's flailing, desperate, and will focus on whatever delivers the highest ratings -- which means emphasizing the "name" programs and pandering to the largest audiences.
[CENSORED]!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 18, 2017, 02:03:54 pm
My understanding is that the ESPN folks assume (based on sheer conjecture) that Bret Bielema will be fired after this season, so they are not giving Arkansas any more than the barest attention. This is based on distant and shallow analysis. Also - ESPN's ability to "connect the loop" and inform their college football analysis with info from pro scouts is nonexistent now, because of the way they've gutted their news organization. ESPN's flailing, desperate, and will focus on whatever delivers the highest ratings -- which means emphasizing the "name" programs and pandering to the largest audiences.

I just realized that it has probably been 2-3 months since I have even turned on one of the ESPN networks on TV.  If you'd have told me that even three years ago, I'd have said you were nuts.  And I don't miss it at all.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

nchogg

Quote from: GuvHog on August 18, 2017, 10:22:46 am
You are aware that AA took much of the responsibility for the second half collapses in the last 2 games aren't you? He attempted to put the offense on his shoulders and tried to force things that weren't there. He's more mature and experienced this year so I don't see him making those mistakes again. I look for a big year from AA.
Have to agree with you. AA is level headed and will keep the offense doing what they need to do.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on August 18, 2017, 08:05:25 am
No, quite the opposite.  Didn't get sack hardly at all.

I'm not sure why that was stuck in my mind then. Maybe it was just us that did it to him.  ;)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 18, 2017, 10:10:55 am
Good quarterbacking is about knowing the plays first of all, reading the defense, decision making, then last but not least accuracy. You can do all of the preceding's but if you can't throw it to the right spot all of that is in vain.

Oh yeah and there is a clutch gene that you just can't teach. Some players have it while others don't.

And sometimes it takes a bit for the clutch gene to kickin. Look at BA's senior year as that was about as clutch as you could get. Which had not shown up before then.

The excitIng part is his little bro has always outperformed him, so could AA out do BA's senior year?

Headhog32

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 18, 2017, 05:10:00 pm
And sometimes it takes a bit for the clutch gene to kickin. Look at BA's senior year as that was about as clutch as you could get. Which had not shown up before then.

The excitIng part is his little bro has always outperformed him, so could AA out do BA's senior year?
who's saying AA is not already clutch? he has the clutch gene and I seen it in many games last year, the games we lost was not becuase of AA not being clutch

HamSammich

Just to add to the discussion but not coming back to the thread to argue. Its just my viewpoint.

BA is a tough as nails young man. I like everything about him. He just was never "the" qb for me. I think he will end up starting in JAX because he has gotten better and I predicted it about a year ago.

But when he was here and even at JAX sometimes he actually goes through his reads too fast. Or he did. BA would be on the third receiver in under two seconds after the snap for arkansas. I know I replayed every game over and over and timed it. I think now he has learned to trust his #1 and stay on him a little longer. I never and still don't think he trusts his arm strength. In enos offense we didn't throw the ball past 20 yards much.... and that was ok with me. IMO he has plenty of arm strength for the NFL... you don't see Brees ever ripping off laser beams at 20+ yards. I just didn't think it would ever translate to a NFL QB. I was wrong, but he has really improved (which I didn't think he would). I'm not an NFL guy but I watch a lot of the games I guess (less every year) and he has got better.

He will end up starting for JAX and I'm happy for him and proud to be a member of hog nation with him.

edit and on a side note ive never seen a college qb go through reads that quickly... most will go through two and take off running or throw it away.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 18, 2017, 10:10:55 am

I believe that to be a learned trait, as a result of environment, teaching and experience, just like being competitive.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 17, 2017, 05:41:11 pm

True, but it is one of the more readily visible indicators of a qb and is very important in setting the ceiling of a qb. Arm strength essentially determines what a qb can do. Brain determines what a qb will do.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 05:17:11 pm
who's saying AA is not already clutch? he has the clutch gene and I seen it in many games last year, the games we lost was not becuase of AA not being clutch

Reread. I said BA took a while to kick in. Of course he was thrown in the fire early while AA was allowed to grow on the sidelines.

Senior BA wouldn't have stalled in the second half of the last two games. AA should show us his clutch stuff this year.

Headhog32

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 18, 2017, 11:16:35 pm
Reread. I said BA took a while to kick in. Of course he was thrown in the fire early while AA was allowed to grow on the sidelines.

Senior BA wouldn't have stalled in the second half of the last two games. AA should show us his clutch stuff this year.
thats a good point. interested to see a better version of AA because he was already good. could be fun

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 18, 2017, 02:03:54 pm
ESPN (and CBS too) has always promoted the teams that they think will get the highest ratings ... brand name teams and exciting players ... why some QBs or running backs seem to be promoted every week and others get almost no attention... this is new?