Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honoring coach Broyles.

Started by Andrew Hogfan, August 15, 2017, 08:06:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Hogfan

How do you want to see him honored this season? Personally,  I want to see the team wear the 64' uniforms we wore against bama in 2014. All year.  Not just one game.  What else could/should be done?
WPS!!!

rljjr

I want to somehow incorporate his voice along with Pat Summerall's in the intro -- or perhaps separately before the 4th quarter -- with him talking about how important the 4th quarter is.

FANONTHEHILL

When George Stanley Halas died in 1984, the Bears added his initials to their left sleeve.  It's subtle, but it's been there every since since he died in October of 1983.  I would love to see JFB done he same way on Arkansas jerseys.  Either on the sleeve or body of the jersey. Not just for 2017, but as long as there is Razorback football.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Andrew Hogfan

I like both of those ideas a lot.
WPS!!!

DoubleReedHawgCaller

As far as the team honoring him, give it you best every down out there on the field. As far as the university,  put his initials on the field and jersey. Have a different bio about him on the big screen or something of that nature at halftime of every home game this year.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

BigRed

Quote from: rljjr on August 15, 2017, 08:28:46 pm
I want to somehow incorporate his voice along with Pat Summerall's in the intro -- or perhaps separately before the 4th quarter -- with him talking about how important the 4th quarter is.

That would be stepping on Bret's toes.

razCzar

Great idea.  This season should be dedicated to the 4th quarter mentality of Broyles' teams.  Fans and players alike should hold one arm high, 4 fingers extended to start Q4 - with the voice intro you describe.

In CFB's presence, Jerry Jones describes its importance and impact in the '60s:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/jerry-jones-on-frank-broyles-4th-quarter-mentality_20170814194800/788965310

razCzar

allredhog

Love the uniform suggestion...but I am an old fart.   Best ideas are the video and everyone standing, raising their hands with 4 fingers.  JFB on the sleeve as well.
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on August 15, 2017, 08:06:30 pm
How do you want to see him honored this season? Personally,  I want to see the team wear the 64' uniforms we wore against bama in 2014. All year.  Not just one game.  What else could/should be done?

Go on a winning streak and win 23 games in a row!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 15, 2017, 08:35:05 pm
When George Stanley Halas died in 1984, the Bears added his initials to their left sleeve.  It's subtle, but it's been there every since since he died in October of 1983.  I would love to see JFB done he same way on Arkansas jerseys.  Either on the sleeve or body of the jersey. Not just for 2017, but as long as there is Razorback football.

I like this idea.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

razCzar

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 15, 2017, 09:35:20 pm
Go on a winning streak and win 23 games in a row!
Wouldn't that be something.

I think the intellectual spirit of CFB would have to flow into CBB to make that happen.  Heck, maybe it will.:-\

ChitownHawg

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on August 15, 2017, 08:51:31 pm
As far as the team honoring him, give it you best every down out there on the field. As far as the university,  put his initials on the field and jersey. Have a different bio about him on the big screen or something of that nature at halftime of every home game this year.

As Mike Irwin said, raise four fingers at the beginning of each 4th Q. Just like Coach Broyles use to do.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Sed76

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 15, 2017, 09:46:55 pm
As Mike Irwin said, raise four fingers at the beginning of each 4th Q. Just like Coach Broyles use to do.

Don't all teams including Arkansas already do this every game?

KC_archHOG

"JFB" as the neck logo instead of the forward facing hog.
Subtle, but up front and worn proudly. Lost a legend, but gained tradition (if done right).

razCzar

Quote from: Sed76 on August 15, 2017, 09:49:22 pm
Probably... most being wannabees that copied the tradition from the '60s Hogs.

More than just 4 fingers in the air, now we're talking about rekindling a Frank Broyles tradition in some grand way.

KC_archHOG

ChitownHawg

August 15, 2017, 11:06:17 pm #17 Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:48:33 am by ChitownHawg

I have not seen it but have not been looking either.

Also I said Mike when it was Jerry who mentioned the emphasis on the fourth quarter.

Sivad

No doubt there will be a patch on the jerseys or a decal on the helmet (perhaps both).
Possibly a "JFB" on the field.
A nice gesture would be to replay on the video boards the Paul Finebaum narrated clip from the SEC Channel, it is excellent; followed by a moment of silence and then a Hog Call.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Stout... Very, very stout.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jgphillips3

I freaking loved the 64 throwbacks.  I would love to see us put JFB on all the uni's and break out the 64 jersey for our TCU and A&M games since they were a regular opponent in 64.  Adding extra Broyles to the video just simply needs to happen. 

longtimeHogfan

I like the '64 throwback uniform and initials on the sleeve idea a LOT!  There's a lot we, the fans, school & team, can do to honor coach Broyles this season. 

I never expected him to die.  He'd been around for so long, accomplished so much and meant so much to the game I just thought he was immortal and would be around forever.  A southern gentleman, he set the bar high.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Theres a lot oh honoring that needs to be done on the Hill. Paul Eells' infamous "TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS" should be played over the stadium P.A after every touchdown (possibly followed by fans yelling oh my). The court in Bud Walton needs to be named after Nolan Richardson. Basketball players need their Jerseys "retired". Frank Broyles needs a patch or something permanent put on the razorback football jersey. These are just a few
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HamSammich

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 16, 2017, 08:14:13 am
Theres a lot oh honoring that needs to be done on the Hill. Paul Eells' infamous "TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS" should be played over the stadium P.A after every touchdown (possibly followed by fans yelling oh my). The court in Bud Walton needs to be named after Nolan Richardson. Basketball players need their Jerseys "retired". Frank Broyles needs a patch or something permanent put on the razorback football jersey. These are just a few

jimmiewkersh

Is there a policy from the SEC or NCAA regarding adding something to the helmet or jersey?

NoogaHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 16, 2017, 08:14:13 am

Could not agree more with all of that. As far as the basketball jerseys, we need to "retire" some jerseys maybe without retiring the numbers. Other players can wear the numbers, but the jerseys can hang in the rafters. Day, Miller, Mayberry, Kleine, Walker, Thurman, Brewer (Sr.), Portis, Delph should all be hanging in the rafters IMHO. I'm sure there are others that have a good argument to be included as well like Terry and Brewer, Jr.,
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: NoogaHog on August 16, 2017, 09:05:49 am
Could not agree more with all of that. As far as the basketball jerseys, we need to "retire" some jerseys maybe without retiring the numbers. Other players can wear the numbers, but the jerseys can hang in the rafters. Day, Miller, Mayberry, Kleine, Walker, Thurman, Brewer (Sr.), Portis, Delph should all be hanging in the rafters IMHO. I'm sure there are others that have a good argument to be included as well like Terry and Brewer, Jr.,
Yeah that's what I meant. Theres a word for it but my mind just isn't firing on all cylinders today
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

NoogaHog

I also agree that the '64 throwbacks need to be brought out again. (I know they no longer exist, they were auctioned off and the helmets were painted chrome). But they would be awesome for the TCU and aTm games.

BTW I still think that a reason we almost won the Bama game in those unis was because the Bama QB couldn't tell which team he was throwing to. He had some head scratching throws in that game.

elviscat

It the center of the football field round circle with "Frank Broyles Field" with a big hog enclosed.

bofadeeznutts

This will never happen but the Razorback decal on the helmet should have JFB in the middle.  JFB IS Razorback football, as well as all Razorback Athletics, and is the one who put the Razorback on the helmet to begin with.  I also think it should be the throwback Razorback decal like worn in '64 and for the throwback game against Bama in 2014.  This should be worn the whole season to honor him.

JFB was not just a coach or a great player from the past and therefore should be remembered with more than a patch or small decal on the back of the helmet.  He didn't just coach on the field, he made the field what it is today.  He didn't just oversee the stadium, he made it bigger and better. 

For the next athletic year, each Razorback team should have JFB in the middle of their logo on their uniform.  Without him, some of those teams wouldn't exist.  Without him, the facilities those teams play in sure as hell wouldn't exist. 

That's how I think he should be honored.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bofadeeznutts on August 16, 2017, 06:48:44 pm
This will never happen but the Razorback decal on the helmet should have JFB in the middle.  JFB IS Razorback football, as well as all Razorback Athletics, and is the one who put the Razorback on the helmet to begin with.  I also think it should be the throwback Razorback decal like worn in '64 and for the throwback game against Bama in 2014.  This should be worn the whole season to honor him.

JFB was not just a coach or a great player from the past and therefore should be remembered with more than a patch or small decal on the back of the helmet.  He didn't just coach on the field, he made the field what it is today.  He didn't just oversee the stadium, he made it bigger and better. 

For the next athletic year, each Razorback team should have JFB in the middle of their logo on their uniform.  Without him, some of those teams wouldn't exist.  Without him, the facilities those teams play in sure as hell wouldn't exist. 

I think the family would be very happy if the conference approved a JFB patch for just below the shoulder of the jerseys on the front or even just below the middle of the neck V, or even on one side of the base of the back of the helmet. There will be something. I'll look forward to seeing what it is.
Go Hogs Go!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Hoggish1

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on August 15, 2017, 08:46:58 pm
I like both of those ideas a lot.

Let them go back to the 64 uniform.  That alone be a fine tribute and a great look!

hobhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 17, 2017, 08:41:11 pm
Let them go back to the 64 uniform.  That alone be a fine tribute and a great look!

This. With JFB on back of helmets. Appease the backbone of the program and let youngsters see the response......

Headhog32

this would be AWESOME at least for one game the 64 uniforms

Headhog32

was it 2 years ago we did the throwback uniforms against Alabama. not sure if it was from 64 or not

NoogaHog

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 12:32:49 am
was it 2 years ago we did the throwback uniforms against Alabama. not sure if it was from 64 or not

2014, for the 50th anniversary of the 64 NC

OneTuskOverTheLine™

NoogaHog

Sivad

WizardofhOgZ

hog_lovin91

Girls who love sports are not weird. We're a rare gift from God.

Sed76

Any word on how the team will honor Coach Broyles either on the jersey or helmet?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

I like it. Classy and appropriate.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Yes, they do.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: bofadeeznutts on August 16, 2017, 06:48:44 pm

I gotta give the noob some credit. He was spot on!